Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #61
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

guys i have a question for all you english majors and shit. check out this sentence:

Of course, humans are not the only species that have a province in deception – deception is ubiquitous in the natural world.

Is that the correct way to write that - "a province"? Or could it just be "humans are not the only species that have province in deception"?

I'm basically using it as you would "a specialty in deception" but i wrote it this way and i think it sounds neat and fuck you i'm pretentious ok, what's the right way?

Old 10-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #62
kevinjboconnor
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
guys i have a question for all you english majors and shit. check out this sentence:

Of course, humans are not the only species that have a province in deception – deception is ubiquitous in the natural world.

Is that the correct way to write that - "a province"? Or could it just be "humans are not the only species that have province in deception"?

I'm basically using it as you would "a specialty in deception" but i wrote it this way and i think it sounds neat and fuck you i'm pretentious ok, what's the right way?
IMO you could write it either way--may slightly alter the suggested meaning. I prefer without the "a". I was an English major. You may want a second opinion though.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #63
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
i'm done with 4 weeks and i haven't had any tests yet. first one is wednesday.

i have to write an approx 15 page paper for my honors seminar class. on anything i want. ideally, it will explore something i'll want to explore with my thesis paper. i'm thinking of doing something on dishonesty - the evolutionary reasons dishonesty is often good for our species, and how people learn to be dishonest, and how we lie to ourselves and don't even realize it. how we lie to others not to offend them ('your haircut looks great') but that a large part of that is really so we don't have to deal with conflict and not for the other person at all.

something along those lines... i will be spending many hours on this paper and i will need to read a lot to even get a grasp of what i'm dealing with. i know some other species do purposefully trick others, for example some apes who learn that if they go to where food is the alpha ape will just push them out of the way and eat their food. so they will go to a different place, where there isn't food, and then while the alpha is frantically looking for his stolen meal, the original ape will go eat. but obviously, that's for survival reasons. we lie for so many reasons. i think exploring why we do this and what mechanisms evolve and develop in the species and ourselves that exploit this ability.

whatchu think?

I think your point about the apes is where the foundation of this dishonesty you speak to resides.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #64
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjboconnor View Post
IMO you could write it either way--may slightly alter the suggested meaning. I prefer without the "a". I was an English major. You may want a second opinion though.
thanks. i turned in a draft today without the a. i'll see if my professor corrects it or not

Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #65
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
I think your point about the apes is where the foundation of this dishonesty you speak to resides.
actually it seems to lie in way older and simpler species. i ended up writing a lot about evolutionary game theory; even single cells of bacteria play cooperation and deception games with each other. you don't even need a brain to do it. like e. coli generally cooperates, but when there is some kind of event such as reduced feeding resources or the introduction of an antibiotic etc, most of them die but some become super strong and their genotype changes. and then later if there's another issue they will totally defect and outcompete all of the other, weaker e. coli cells. however, as long as there is no incentive to defect, they will always cooperate, and cooperator e. coli cells fair better, generally, in normal environments. so there is this push and pull going on.

it's very similar to ideas of how society runs on cooperation and competition. those who are good at deceit do well in certain areas at certain times, but generally we all do better when we all cooperate. so there is a niche for deception in certain situations but the evolutionary stable strategy is to overwhelmingly cooperate.

however this really only touches on the biological aspects of deception. there are also social and cognitive reasons that are tied to evolutionary ideas of survival and inclusive fitness. so basically, in my draft i've explained all of this much more coherently and gotten to the point where i'm going to talk about why we lie in everyday life (impression management, avoidance of conflict, avoidance of punishment, etc) as a kind of more complex version of biological game theory. i havent written much about this yet. my draft was incomplete.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #66
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've been having a lot of trouble focusing and not procrastinating this semester (low energy, lack of motivation, lack of interest) and I've been thinking of just getting on some Ritalin or Adderall or something, but I don't know what the addictive potential of these things is. Plus I don't even know where I'd get it.

I've also been having problems with anxiety to the point that I haven't even been able to bring myself to check my email for the past 2-3 weeks and I'm nervous that maybe profs are emailing me and thinking I'm ignoring them (especially because I've handed in some assignments late), and that thought just makes me more nervous to check it.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #67
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

spring registration begins monday and i already have my classes planned out (applied last week for 2017 fafsa, too). i will be attending the two campuses i already do. right now my schedule looks like tuesday/thursday classes all day....

i will be at the further campus for two classes from 9:30 a.m-12:50 p.m. then i will have a three hour block for lunch/studying and my next classes at a campus closer to home begin at 3:55 p.m and the last one ends at 8:10. from there i can get home in less than 20 minutes.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 10-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #68
yo soy el mejor

i applied for a $5,000 scholarship yesterday and have a list of 10 more i will apply for by the end of the year.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #69
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Even though I am in school I rly can't stomach school talk sry

Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #70
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I have a 12000 word screenplay due in two weeks, and a 6000 word research project due a few days afterwards.

Don't know what I'm going to do. So tired.

DK man. This email thing is a recurring thing for you huh. Just check 'em. Even if they have emailed, there's only so much shitty emotion/remorse/regret/shame/humiliation that can come from it.

And speaking from experience, all feelings pass, eventually. Good luck man.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #71
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Soon enough, I'll be legitimately upset that I am still yet to read a single one of these vixnix writings.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I've been having a lot of trouble focusing and not procrastinating this semester (low energy, lack of motivation, lack of interest) and I've been thinking of just getting on some Ritalin or Adderall or something, but I don't know what the addictive potential of these things is. Plus I don't even know where I'd get it.

I've also been having problems with anxiety to the point that I haven't even been able to bring myself to check my email for the past 2-3 weeks and I'm nervous that maybe profs are emailing me and thinking I'm ignoring them (especially because I've handed in some assignments late), and that thought just makes me more nervous to check it.
this is definitely a big issue man :/ i know no one can just make you check them but there's gotta be something you can do

Old 10-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #73
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
spring registration begins monday and i already have my classes planned out (applied last week for 2017 fafsa, too). i will be attending the two campuses i already do. right now my schedule looks like tuesday/thursday classes all day....

i will be at the further campus for two classes from 9:30 a.m-12:50 p.m. then i will have a three hour block for lunch/studying and my next classes at a campus closer to home begin at 3:55 p.m and the last one ends at 8:10. from there i can get home in less than 20 minutes.
same here, all of my classes next semester are on tues/thursday. first one is 8 am, second is 9:30 am... and then 4pm and 7:10pm (ends at 10pm, ouch). that 7:10 is only one day a week at least. i was going to not take the 4pm one (honors special topics) but then i found out the topic was crime and violence so i have to take it now (forensic psych is my probable phd focus). and the 7pm one is personality testing and measurement which i really want to take. it's also on another campus. but it'll be worth it. my registration opens nov 2 at 11pm

i already did my fasfa too. applied for a few scholarships but i need to get some shit together and put out a blitz. i also applied for a temporary job with YNAB (this budgeting software i use and love, they need seasonal reps) and got to the second round follow up questions so i really hope i get it. better pay than i get now and work from anywhere and i really do love the software.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #74
yo soy el mejor

does anyone have an issue with a person who talks in class? there is a girl in my spanish 103 class who checks her phone and talks constantly to the girl next to her about what she did yesterday or something that happened to her at the store. and then she needs to ask about whatever she missed. so she talks way too much, but not about anything anyone cares about.

and this is when class is in session. when the teacher pops out, this girl whips out her phone and comments loudly on what she reads. i've asked her to be quiet once and did again today. she was telling some personal story while the teacher was speaking and i just said ''do you mind? i'm trying to listen. and you're going to ask what she said in a minute.''

this turd is a native speaker of spanish and thought she could coast this class. that is why she doesn't listen and she always questions the teacher when it appears she might have to learn something- she doesn't want to have to do that. i'm just gonna have to email my teacher, because i can't stand this the rest of the semester. and i know of at least one other student who can't finds her distracting (and annoying).

Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #75
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i've never had someone continually do that in a small class. in a big class they only do it in the back so i sit up front.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #76
yo soy el mejor

ya, this class has no more than 13 people; everyone sits up front. this asshole is just clueless and apparently she needs to be told each class to be quiet.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #77
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

professor should kick her out. 13 people? lol we'd have a whole class discussing their intolerable ass if i was the professor

Old 10-31-2016, 11:05 PM   #78
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Ask the teacher to explain what "bocona pelotuda que tiene que cerrar el orto por conchuda" means and just sit back while it sinks in.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #79
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
this is definitely a big issue man :/ i know no one can just make you check them but there's gotta be something you can do
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
DK man. This email thing is a recurring thing for you huh. Just check 'em. Even if they have emailed, there's only so much shitty emotion/remorse/regret/shame/humiliation that can come from it.

And speaking from experience, all feelings pass, eventually. Good luck man.
Yeah, I dunno. I had a paper due Friday that I'm still not done, and I feel like I just cannot do it. This same class also has weekly short papers based on the book we were supposed to read for the week. I have another short paper due tomorrow, and I just started the book today.

It's funny, because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with this honours class, but I enrolled in it anyway. I have both low self-confidence in that I know I'm not capable of a lot of stuff, but also perfectionism in that I expect myself to do that stuff anyway and always try to make it perfect. I have the worst habits when it comes to writing papers, because instead of just writing and getting my ideas out and then fixing it up later, I have to make everything perfect the first time, and I can spend hours wording a single paragraph. Profs usually say I write well. But obviously I'm inefficient, and a student who maybe has less precise diction but can finish their shit and meet deadlines without tearing their hair out from stress is the better student, all things considered. Their skills are probably more valuable in any workplace or academic setting.

As far as I know, I'm the only person in my class of eleven people struggling like this. I haven't asked the other folks personally, but they all seem pretty prepared for each seminar. I skate by by reading maybe a fifth of the book that was assigned because I just cannot finish a 300-page book in a week, especially when I have material to read for other courses, because I'm a shitty reader. I didn't even hand in last week's short paper. I just said, "fuck it, it's only three per cent of my final grade, I'd rather skip it and at least get some sleep tonight." Because I can't start these short papers until I've read the book (or at least, enough of it), I can't start them until the last minute, often forcing me to pull an all-nighter and making me late for my seminar.

Up until this semester, I've managed to maintain grades that have kept me on the Dean's List, but I've handed everything in late this semester and the quality of my work has fallen because of how much energy is going toward trying to keep afloat in this seminar, and I expect to get my first 'C's this semester. I'll probably even get a C in that poetry course I took because I thought it would be the "easy" course (I straight up bombed one pop quiz, and I don't feel I did well on the midterm).

I don't know what to tell my prof for the seminar tomorrow. I've been having lots of anxiety these past couple weeks and I'm not sure, but I think I may had been having a panic attack today. But I don't want to tell my prof any of that because it sounds like looking for pity. "Oh, woe is me, I can't do the work that I'm assigned because I'm just so sad and anxious." I went back to my school wellness center to look into going back into counselling, and this time I also booked an appointment with an actual physician because I want to be formally assessed for disorders I've long wondered if I had instead of just being given "helpful tips and strategies," but though the advisor I talked to said that there was the possibility that I could get accommodations if diagnosed, I don't feel like I'd want to use them because, again, it feels like trying to use these things as a crutch. I mean, it's not like other people who are succeeding in their studies don't have any hardship in their lives. On some level, the basic explanation for my failures has to be that I'm just being shit. Like, I should be trying to do that essay right now, but instead I took time out to complain on Netphoria.

Quote:
i've never had someone continually do that in a small class. in a big class they only do it in the back so i sit up front.
Yeah, I can't imagine a prof tolerating that bullshit in such a small class. I once made the mistake in first year of sitting near the back in a large auditorium lecture, and I never did it again. I don't understand people who pay for a course just to talk through it. It's not like grade school, where the law forces you to go to class. These people don't have to be there if they don't want to listen, they can go hang out somewhere and talk if that's what they want to do.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #80
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Ah fuck I still can't bring myself to check my email

Old 11-02-2016, 02:19 AM   #81
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Coincidentally, I have only just emailed you and it's of particular importance that you respond post-haste.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #82
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Ah fuck I still can't bring myself to check my email
honestly if you could email exactly what you wrote just now to your professors i think they'd totally understand (assuming they had empathy and read it). i know that's not something you'll do but I wish there was something. Maybe going to see the doc will help you and somehow they will tell profs for you? try to make it clear that you aren't communicating because of your anxiety and you need help with that. i know it sounds hard and it is but you need to do something :/

Old 11-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #83
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Coincidentally, I have only just emailed you and it's of particular importance that you respond post-haste.
Aw shit, now the pressure is on harder.

Quote:
honestly if you could email exactly what you wrote just now to your professors i think they'd totally understand (assuming they had empathy and read it). i know that's not something you'll do but I wish there was something. Maybe going to see the doc will help you and somehow they will tell profs for you? try to make it clear that you aren't communicating because of your anxiety and you need help with that. i know it sounds hard and it is but you need to do something :/
I dunno... my class today is before the appointment. On the one hand, it'll look bad if I don't show up. On the other hand, it'll be embarrassing if I do.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #84
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
professor should kick her out. 13 people? lol we'd have a whole class discussing their intolerable ass if i was the professor
i still have not emailed the teacher, but i can't stand this girl more than ever.

it's to the point where everything that comes out of her mouth bothers me and i gotta think about whether it's because i can't stand her or if what she says is actually bothersome.

today our profe let us out 15 minutes early and this girl said "so we can just go home?" and i said "or we can go somewhere else". and a lot of people laughed real hard. then, of course, someone mentioned the cubs (tonight is the deciding world series game) and she said she hopes they lose (she finds herself quite controversial).

this other girl named sydney (who can't stand her, either) said she was just a contrarian and fernanda said "that's just how i was raised''. the profe chimed in saying something about how beautiful it was there were so many types of people and i said "it definitely builds tolerance."

Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #85
yo soy el mejor

keep calm and study on is right.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #86
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

dudes i wasn't planning on it but i just kinda asked my very favorite professor to do my honors thesis with me and he said yes! he's like a world famous evolutionary developmental psychologist and probably the most prolific professor at my university. he has a wikipedia page so you know he's legit.

so i was working on my deception paper for the honors seminar class (that he runs) and on my draft he wrote that it was excellent and well written, research, organized etc but he can see it being a very long paper and that i may want to decrease the scope a little. which i was already thinking of because it truly is something i could write 50 pages on and for this class it only needs to be about 15

so after class i asked him if i could reduce the scope of the current paper but then do the full scope as a honors thesis, if that's something that is reasonable. because i know usually they want you to do some actual experimental study. he said that an extensive literature review of about 40-50 pages is also ok and yes he thought this topic could make for a good thesis, i just have to get a professor to sign up with to mentor me etc. so it was then the moment of truth and i asked him if it was possible for me to do it with him and he said yes just to contact him when i want to do it and i told him i'll probably take some credits starting next summer

dudes im very happy about this

Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #87
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Aw shit, now the pressure is on harder.

I dunno... my class today is before the appointment. On the one hand, it'll look bad if I don't show up. On the other hand, it'll be embarrassing if I do.
how'd it go?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #88
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
dudes i wasn't planning on it but i just kinda asked my very favorite professor to do my honors thesis with me and he said yes! he's like a world famous evolutionary developmental psychologist and probably the most prolific professor at my university. he has a wikipedia page so you know he's legit.

so i was working on my deception paper for the honors seminar class (that he runs) and on my draft he wrote that it was excellent and well written, research, organized etc but he can see it being a very long paper and that i may want to decrease the scope a little. which i was already thinking of because it truly is something i could write 50 pages on and for this class it only needs to be about 15

so after class i asked him if i could reduce the scope of the current paper but then do the full scope as a honors thesis, if that's something that is reasonable. because i know usually they want you to do some actual experimental study. he said that an extensive literature review of about 40-50 pages is also ok and yes he thought this topic could make for a good thesis, i just have to get a professor to sign up with to mentor me etc. so it was then the moment of truth and i asked him if it was possible for me to do it with him and he said yes just to contact him when i want to do it and i told him i'll probably take some credits starting next summer

dudes im very happy about this
Congrats! That sounds really cool. It also sounds like it'll make things a little bit easier when the thesis comes around if you get to do a narrower version of it first. Two assignments, one stone.

Quote:
how'd it go?
I didn't end up going to class (was really awkward when I passed by a classmate in the hallway during the class break, though), but I went to my doctor's appointment and she gave me some tips about trying to normalize my sleep schedule and eat better and get some exercise and stuff like that. Also said that, though it was too early to do any official diagnosis, I do sound like I meet the criteria for depression and stuff, and that she could write me a deferral letter if I need it.

She also implored me to email the prof, which I'm trying to work up the courage to do right now. I'm kind of nervous about asking for any sort of deferral, because a responsible student would had done that before the due date. It just seems like it'd be me making excuses. Like, I feel like a lot of people are probably dealing with way more shit than I am, but still manage to get their work done. I feel like I'd be being a fraud if I tried to weasel my way out of a failing mark.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #89
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
I didn't end up going to class (was really awkward when I passed by a classmate in the hallway during the class break, though), but I went to my doctor's appointment and she gave me some tips about trying to normalize my sleep schedule and eat better and get some exercise and stuff like that. Also said that, though it was too early to do any official diagnosis, I do sound like I meet the criteria for depression and stuff, and that she could write me a deferral letter if I need it.

She also implored me to email the prof, which I'm trying to work up the courage to do right now. I'm kind of nervous about asking for any sort of deferral, because a responsible student would had done that before the due date. It just seems like it'd be me making excuses. Like, I feel like a lot of people are probably dealing with way more shit than I am, but still manage to get their work done. I feel like I'd be being a fraud if I tried to weasel my way out of a failing mark.
First of all, anyone having the kind of difficulty you're having deserves completely to have a deferral letter, are not a fraud for asking for one, and indeed exemplify the reason that those programs exist. It's not weaseling anything - you have a problem that has nothing to do with your ability to perform schoolwork per se, it is a mental illness affecting your functioning in general. You're not making any excuses.

Secondly, it would be such a shame if you ruined your GPA and future prospects because of this. You're the type of person who needs a degree and needs to be improving the world. Where does it go from here if you don't get help? You have a chance to pounce on this shit now. I know it's hard but it gets easier once you have a diagnosis and treatment plan established. It's not just going to go away if you wait long enough. You have an acutely disabling and/or chronic illness that needs treatment, just like if you had a heart problem or autoimmune disease.

I'm glad you saw the doc

Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #90
yo soy el mejor

dk, did you check your email yet?

i had so much schoolwork due this weekend. i had two deadlines saturday and one on sunday. i cried saturday morning cause powerpoint froze and i lost my work. i couldn't help it--- i just cried. but in the end, everything was fine and done on time.

BUT i did miss a teeny tiny assignment. i am taking an online course and in addition to submitting our own work, we are to respond to at least 2 other students (this is "class participation") and between everything else i had to do, it just slipped through the cracks. i am- or was- pretty disappointed in myself, but thankfully i've already done some extra credit for that course. it's still a bummer, though.