Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Default So, tell me all about Boston.

I might be moving there for a job after graduation in January. My advisor is recommending me for a research fellowship at a university lab there. I haven't applied yet but she said that the head of it is an old classmate of hers from college so I could basically forward a C.V. with her recommendation letter and the job would be mine. I'd like to be able to know what I'm getting into well before I agree to anything. That being said, tell me about the city. It is expensive compared to other cities? How is public transportation? Good places to look for a place to live? Or just tell me whatever comes to mind. Besides sports teams because I couldn't really give a shit. I don't even care much about my current local ones.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
shannon
Minion of Satan

there is a ton of construction, but its fairly easy to get around once you know your way

it is pretty expensive to live there, but not completely out of control

Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Andy /

Talk to SepiAmy. She just moved there. I'll be visiting her in September, too, to party with her during her birthday and the Sox-Yankees series that weekend.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Boston sucks. It's full of complete dipshits except Sepiae.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Thanks. I'll PM her.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
mistle
bonnie stars

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pics/Boston2.jpg

Boston is an American rock band that achieved its most notable successes during the 1970s and 1980s. Centered on guitarist, songwriter, and producer Tom Scholz, the band is a staple of classic rock radio playlists. Boston's best-known works ******* the singles "More Than a Feeling," "Peace of Mind," "Foreplay/Long Time," "Don't Look Back," and "Amanda."

History

Boston began when Tom Scholz, an MIT engineering graduate who worked at Polaroid, began to create a series of tape recordings in his home studio accompanied by guitarist Barry Goudreau and drummer Jim Masdea,with whom Scholz played in a previous band.Scholz soon became frustrated with the limitations of the technology at the time and began bulding his own equipment. The first tapes were rejected by the record labels; but a second set of tapes,which consisted of Scholz on guitar (which he learned to play while in Goudreau's band), with the newly hired singer Brad Delp on vocals and Masdea on drums, drew the attention of executives at Epic Records, a division of CBS. However, the label was dissatisfied with Masdea's performance,which led to his being replaced by Sib Hashian.The label also insisted that Scholz re-record the demo tapes in a professional studio with a full band, which led to the hiring of bassist Fran Sheehan. However,with the exception of "Let Me Take You Home Tonight", Scholz was able to side-step the label and re-record the tapes in his home studio; with the help of Epic producer John Boylan. The resulting album Boston was an immediate success and helped revive the popularity of mainstream rock at a time when punk and disco were beginning to take hold. It ranks as one of the highest selling albums of all time, with more than 17 million copies sold. Boston's debut album is currently the second best selling debut ever, trailing Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction.

The band embarked on a worldwide tour to support the album, establishing Boston within a short time as one of rock's top acts. However, tensions began to develop between the band's label, which wanted a big follow-up album to capitalize on Boston, and Scholz who wanted take his time recording.

The result was Don't Look Back, released in 1978, two years after the debut album; at the time, this was considered a fairly long gap between albums, but Scholz considered Don't Look Back to be a rush job, expressing unhappiness with the album's second side in particular which was confirmed on the Third Stage episode of "In the Studio with Redbeard" when he cited that "CBS had no confidence in a second Boston album" and said "Epic/CBS was trying to cash in on the success of the debut album". Although it sold four million copies in its first month, Don't Look Back in the end sold about half as well as the first album. Another tour followed, and the album's title track was a hit, but Scholz's relationship with Epic began to deteriorate as Scholz began the slow process of working on Boston's third album; due to his determination to finish the album at his own pace.

A lawsuit was filed by CBS citing a breach of contract.This further slowed progress of the next album, which was now being recorded with Delp, Masdea and former Sammy Hagar guitarist Gary Pihl, who replaced Goudreau after he left the band to pursue a solo career. CBS also withheld royality payments to Scholz, leaving him without funds to continue recording. However Scholz was able to finance the new album by designing and building equipment and selling it to other artists, such as ZZTop, Ted Nugent and Journey guitarist Neal Schon. A tape of a song they had been working on, "Amanda", leaked out of the studio in 1984 and was widely bootlegged, but drew strong praise from the band's fans.

"Amanda" became the lead single two years later when Third Stage was finally released in 1986, after MCA Records bought out Boston's contract. Loosely built around the theme of life's "third stage" (the onset of middle age), the album was a big hit and was widely discussed in the non-music press. Boston's subsequent tour, on which the new album was played, in sequence, in its entirety. Boston also participated in local charity concert sponsored by Tea Party Concerts to benefit AIDS. This move was lauded by local radio personalities, due to the stigma attached to AIDS that existed at that time. Boston has continued to be involved in a number of charities, including anti-domestic-violence groups and local homeless programs. (Boston Herald, 1988; Boston Globe, 1988; bandboston.com). In 1990, a jury ruled in favor of Scholz in the CBS lawsuit and the judge awarded him 1.6 milion dollars in punitive damages.

Another eight years passed before Walk On (1994), the first album without Delp, because of his prior commitment to Barry Goudreau's band RTZ and featuring vocalist Fran Cosmo, who had performed in Goudreau's band, "Orion the Hunter". Unlike the previous albums, it only went platinum and reached #7 (instead of the Multi-Platinum and Top 5 placing Boston were used to) and did not produce any hit singles although "I Need Your Love" did well on rock radio. The same timespan passed before Corporate America (2002), which featured Delp, Cosmo, and a different-looking line-up with drummer Jeff Neal, Fran Cosmo's son Anthony and Kimberly Dahme on which Dahme and Anthony Cosmo contributed songs, including a country song title "With You" written by Dahme. The band also released a greatest-hits album in 1997, which contained a handful of new songs.

As of 2006, a new Boston album is currently in the works, although no release date has been given. The band's first two albums for Epic Records were re-released (remastered personally by Scholz) on June 13, 2006 and were well received. There are also rumours of a tour in 2007, but no definite plans can be confirmed.

Innovations and style

Guitarist and primary song-writer, Tom Scholz, is regarded as a "musical genius" by many. His blend of musical styles, ranging from classical to 60's English pop has resulted in a unique sound, characterized by multiple guitar leads and blended harmonies, as well as the use of handmade, high-tech equipment, such as the Rockman, which has also been used by other artists such as Journey guitarist, Neal Schon, the band ZZTop and Ted Nugent. Boston is almost immediately recognizable because of their deep, aggressive riffing and nearly-ethereal sound. Singer Brad Delp, who was strongly influenced by the Beatles is also credited for helping to create Boston's sound with his strong, clear lead vocal and sweet smooth harmonies. Boston's albums are played on heavy rotation on Classic Rock stations.

Live performances

While known for blending guitar harmonies on studio recordings, Boston has the unique quality to reproduce album sounds while playing live. This is greatly due to the fact that leader Tom Scholz designs his own sound and equipment and is a perfectionist when it comes to the quality of sound. What one hears on the album is nearly identical to that of a live concert.

Band members
Tom Scholz – Lyrics, composition, guitar (1969–present)
Brad Delp – Vocals,some songwriting (1969–1990, 1994–present)
Jim Masdea – Drums (1969–1975)
Barry Goudreau – Guitar (1969–1981)
David Currier – Drums (1975)
Sib Hashian – Drums (1975–1982)
Fran Sheehan – Bass (1975–1980)
Gary Pihl – Guitar (1987–present)
Fran Cosmo – Vocals (1992–present)
Anthony Cosmo – Guitar,some songwriting (1997–present)
Kimberley Dahme – Vocals, guitar, bass,some songwriting (2002–present)
Jeff Neal – Drums - (2002–present)

Discography

AlbumsDate of Release Title Label US Billboard Peak US sales
August 25, 1976 Boston Epic 3 17x Platinum
August 2, 1978 Don't Look Back Epic 1 7x Platinum
September 23, 1986 Third Stage MCA 1 4x Platinum
June 7, 1994 Walk On MCA 7 Platinum
April 22, 1997 Greatest Hits Epic/MCA 47 2x Platinum
August 27, 2002 Corporate America Artemis 42 Gold

Singles
"More Than a Feeling" (1976) #5 US, #22 UK
"Long Time" (1977) #22 US
"Peace of Mind" (1977) #38 US
"Don't Look Back" (1978) #4 US, #43 UK
"A Man I'll Never Be" (1978) #31 US
"Feelin' Satisfied" (1979) #46 US
"Amanda" (1986) #1 US - 2 weeks
"We're Ready" (1986) #9 US
"Can'tcha Say (You Believe In Me)" (1987) #20 US
"I Need Your Love" (1994) #51 US

Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Andy /

Oh, and be glad you don't drive. I never want to drive in Boston again.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Yeah, my one friend who visited there years ago told me that and not much else besides some rant about the Red Sox.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Is it expensive? Yes, but cheaper than New York and more livable.
How is public transportation? Living there for several years, we never had a car in the city.

It is the easiest city in America to get around in, bar none. The food is very good and easy to find and the bar scene is pretty top notch if you are into that stuff.

The music scene is very strong and it usually has fantastic concerts. T.T. & the Bears!

You are close to lots of beautiful areas and the ocean.

Other than that, the weather is usually pretty OK and the city has more character than most any other in the U.S.

Think of New York, take out about eight million people, cut down on the cost a bit and you pretty much have Boston.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Thanks a bunch. The transportation thing especially puts my mind at ease.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
I'll be visiting her in September, too, to party with her during her birthday and the Sox-Yankees series that weekend.
Too?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Talk to SepiAmy. She just moved there. I'll be visiting her in September, too, to party with her during her birthday and the Sox-Yankees series that weekend.

when in september? i'm going to ma in sept

Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Too?
Que?

I just meant it as 'this is more an aside to the topic at hand'.

And it's the third weekend in Sept- I'll be there the 14-18th.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i hear they're throwing killer tea parties there, wicked enough to fulfill all your fancy-dress related vandalist desires

Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Ah, I thought you meant you would be visiting someone else as well.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Andy /

Nah. I wish.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #17
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

If I come up, will you guys promise to have a big "Amy meets Ryan meets Jesse meets Erin" party at the Fens?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #18
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Oh can I come? I'd like to meet PBE.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #19
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I'm not even sure if I'm moving there yet but if I do you're more than welcome to

Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Cool, we'll go to the White Sox/Red Sox game next year. I was planning on going to boston next year anyway.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #21
Andy /

BOSTON 2007!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #22
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

As long as I don't have to pretend I know anything about baseball then we'll be just fine.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #23
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Cool, we'll go to the White Sox/Red Sox game next year. I was planning on going to boston next year anyway.

ahem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes
Besides sports teams because I couldn't really give a shit.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #24
shannon
Minion of Satan

you need to know at least something about baseball to survive in boston!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I know, I know. I won't care about the game but it would be cool to meet all of you.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
Andy /

Erin should get on AIM.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #27
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

OK, let's plan this shit in 2007. I can get the best tix in Fenway since I'm blind.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #28
Effloresce
Banned

worst band ever

oh wait

Old 08-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #29
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk
OK, let's plan this shit in 2007. I can get the best tix in Fenway since I'm blind.
I want to sit on the green monster.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #30
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Angry

Quote:
ahem:
No one invited you Slash.