Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #61
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

How about 2005-07-28 when Bill basically did the whole album acoustic.

Why the fuck did he retire Riverview

Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #62
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
"brian" lol
haha i know

Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #63
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Yeah, no mention of what the mysterious Eventide-like dsp unit is.

If you look at one of the pics earlier in this thread, you can see his guitar cable going directly into what looks like a pair of 1u rack units...

Enhance!

fully embracing "stupid" territory here. more:

Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #64
cork_soaker
full of longing

also, brian has not responded, despite recent activity on the gear forum

brian

Old 11-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #65
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

"brian"

Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #66
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Do you ever listen to Bossanova and think it's their best lp?

I do.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #67
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
fully embracing "stupid" territory here. more:
Well, I'll be darned if I can figure it out

I've been googling images of rack effects...nothing. I've even checked D/A converters in case Billy's guitar is being processed by Brian's Mac for the tour. This is really doing my head in! It's one of the best shoegaze tones I've heard outside Kevin Shields.

I hope Brian responds

**EDIT: It looks like Brian is using Reaper in the pic on the first page. You can see the Subtractor plugin on his screen.

Last edited by Funbags : 11-30-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #68
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:

I've been googling images of rack effects...nothing.
same -- ive looked through rackmount effects processors, past and present, from every major manufacturer and then some. nothing matches.

also went nuts trying to hunt down more live shots from TFE tour, hoping for a better view. not much to be had, as you can see.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #69
cork_soaker
full of longing

as you astutely point out, maybe it's not an effects unit at all.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 AM   #70
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

What video/date were these screens taken from? I know a great deal about rack gear and don't instantly recognize them. Sort of have the layout of Digitech's Valve FX series but can't see the logo.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #71
cork_soaker
full of longing

mystery solved, it's a MOTU 828

Old 12-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #72
cork_soaker
full of longing

the mystery of the rack unit, that is; the "one dsp" used on the album remains elusive

Old 12-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #73
cork_soaker
full of longing

hmmmm

According to backline tech Mike Dean, keyboardist Brian Leisegang’s setup comprises an M-Audio Radium 61 keyboard connected through USB to an iMac G4 running OS 10.4. All sounds are created in Propellerhead Reason. The audio interface is a MOTU 828 mkII with a simple left/right send. “We also send a guitar part to a Korg Kaoss pad,” Dean says, “and returned to FOH to have it effected manually.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
...kinda like a zoom but more in the Eventide realm....
...Gear at the house position includes an Eventide H3500, TC Electronic 2290 and a Summit Audio DCL-200 tube compressor

Last edited by cork_soaker : 12-04-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #74
cork_soaker
full of longing

Talking

billy: in order to forge new sonic territory on this record, i'm setting strict boundaries in terms of my gear... one unit only.

.....wow, working within such xtreeme limitations demonstrates your true artistic integrity, courage, and uncompromising vision. which unit will you be using?

billy: the eventide ultra-harmonizer h3500

Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #75
cork_soaker
full of longing

update from brian:

Quote:
yeah, that doesn't contain the "mystery" device, but getting closer.. wtf, I saw billy a few weeks ago, I'm just gonna call him and ask him if I can let the kitten out of the bag, as I doubt he cares at this point!
gah!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #76
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Holy fuck dude!! YOU ARE A GOLDEN GOD!!!!

Nice work on the Motu too! I would have never guessed that

Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #77
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Holy fuck dude!! YOU ARE A GOLDEN GOD!!!!

Nice work on the Motu too! I would have never guessed that
thanks, can't take any credit on the motu though -- someone on the gearslutz forum recognized it. amazing, considering the quality of the images

Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 AM   #78
redbreegull

on teh 9 day god createdshame

Old 12-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #79
Cool As Ice Cream

can i give my owl hard to u
im not so innosent now ki

Old 12-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #80
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

I was at the show where Jimmy came out to play on DIA, as well as the next night. As usual with LA shows then Billy was a bit sour. I remember him saying that he was thankful everyone came to the show in the times of reality TV and sporting events.
The crowd went ape shit when he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, of the smashing pumpkins, Mr. Jimmy Chamberlain!"
The electronic "drums" were an issue for me. Matt just kinda tapped along to the drum loops and was buried in the mix. Even with Jimmy, that aspect was a bit underwhelming. Especially on the second night when the computer running the loops crashed during To Love Somebody, and Cosmo Walker bailed off to the side of the stage to figure out what happened. Meanwhile, Billy was just shredding the extended solo for a while.
The 2nd night had more choreography and music breaks where Straw Tees and and Matt would step back against the screen as the lighting freeze framed in real time on each member. That lighting scheme was pretty rad and ahead of its time. The bummer was the turnaround from the band before until Billy. Like almost an hour. People just started randomly chanting.

Between the two nights, he played pretty much every song he had then. He had a bit of a meltdown during the final break of All Things Change, where he says we can change the world. He got pissy and sort of ended the song and said that he meant it when he wrote it and he was disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm with singing along with him.
One of the stranger things was on the second night I stood up front off to Brian's side and there were no stage monitors so it was impossibly quiet if you were in front of the stacks. They used only in ear monitors and during some songs it was so quiet on stage you could hear him strumming.
It was then I realized that fully digital music lacked power or ummph if you were in the ironic wrong spot in the crowd.

I found this Era interesting at the very least. I revisit half of this record more than I do anything on Zg. Never listened to oash all the way through and MTAE I listened to fully once.
The guitar tone was amazing and that acoustic Australian show was very good. You were mine is a top 10 BC song. Shame he abandoned it.
I always thought he should have just released the Chicago songs album in 2006 to cleanse people's palettes of the weird shoegaze future album. Would have made more sense. Rather than be shelved all these years with almost 0 good live recordings of those songs.

He was a prolific writer even up until 2008 before Jimmy bounced. I think that the rest of those years until Ogilala he had lost his muse. In all honesty, Teargarden, oash, MTAE is absolute garbage writing. He lost his muse for sure. Bad drumming. He also lost or dropped one of the things that made him special.
He is an amazing guitar player. If you listen to demos or vieuphoria or tracks like bagpipe drone, he used to write these fully realized guitar parts and added them to songs. Songs like hummer, ruby, all have dynamic guitar parts.
That's what's been missing.
Well that and James and D'Arcy.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #81
FoolofaTook

R u lying jakob?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #82
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

R U a fool?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #83
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

r U bluffing?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #84
FoolofaTook

R u Becuz?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #85
FoolofaTook

BEECOZ U RRRRRRR

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #86
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
r U bluffing?
R U an average Loren, do U think I'm Billy Corgan?
U R from Tulsa, OK...

Everything you see I owe to spaghetti. (Sophia Loren)

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 12-11-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #87
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobtheliar View Post
I was at the show where Jimmy came out to play on DIA, as well as the next night. As usual with LA shows then Billy was a bit sour. I remember him saying that he was thankful everyone came to the show in the times of reality TV and sporting events.
The crowd went ape shit when he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, of the smashing pumpkins, Mr. Jimmy Chamberlain!"
The electronic "drums" were an issue for me. Matt just kinda tapped along to the drum loops and was buried in the mix. Even with Jimmy, that aspect was a bit underwhelming. Especially on the second night when the computer running the loops crashed during To Love Somebody, and Cosmo Walker bailed off to the side of the stage to figure out what happened. Meanwhile, Billy was just shredding the extended solo for a while.
The 2nd night had more choreography and music breaks where Straw Tees and and Matt would step back against the screen as the lighting freeze framed in real time on each member. That lighting scheme was pretty rad and ahead of its time. The bummer was the turnaround from the band before until Billy. Like almost an hour. People just started randomly chanting.

Between the two nights, he played pretty much every song he had then. He had a bit of a meltdown during the final break of All Things Change, where he says we can change the world. He got pissy and sort of ended the song and said that he meant it when he wrote it and he was disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm with singing along with him.
One of the stranger things was on the second night I stood up front off to Brian's side and there were no stage monitors so it was impossibly quiet if you were in front of the stacks. They used only in ear monitors and during some songs it was so quiet on stage you could hear him strumming.
It was then I realized that fully digital music lacked power or ummph if you were in the ironic wrong spot in the crowd.

I found this Era interesting at the very least. I revisit half of this record more than I do anything on Zg. Never listened to oash all the way through and MTAE I listened to fully once.
The guitar tone was amazing and that acoustic Australian show was very good. You were mine is a top 10 BC song. Shame he abandoned it.
I always thought he should have just released the Chicago songs album in 2006 to cleanse people's palettes of the weird shoegaze future album. Would have made more sense. Rather than be shelved all these years with almost 0 good live recordings of those songs.

He was a prolific writer even up until 2008 before Jimmy bounced. I think that the rest of those years until Ogilala he had lost his muse. In all honesty, Teargarden, oash, MTAE is absolute garbage writing. He lost his muse for sure. Bad drumming. He also lost or dropped one of the things that made him special.
He is an amazing guitar player. If you listen to demos or vieuphoria or tracks like bagpipe drone, he used to write these fully realized guitar parts and added them to songs. Songs like hummer, ruby, all have dynamic guitar parts.
That's what's been missing.
Well that and James and D'Arcy.

Interesting post. I've never heard the story before that the computer running the loops crashed during one of he shows. That lighting design was really cool. It's a pity that Billy didn't hire a film crew for one show.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #88
cork_soaker
full of longing

update from brian re the secret device:

Quote:
ha, sorry, been one of those weeks, thanks for reminding me, let me got on that!

Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #89
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
R u lying jakob?
Lying the burning off your souls...
Or whatever.

It is odd there was no proshot shows for this tour. I can't even find a sbd show. There was the Chicago show that was fm sourced but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

I said that he was sour whenever he played LA. During the Zwan shows in 2003 he ended the show very abruptly after about 70 minutes. Talk on here then was that Yelena was there and they were always on again off again.
He closed that show with of a broken heart, so I don't know. But the 2nd night they did 3 encores and it was a much better Zwan show than the night prior.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #90
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobtheliar View Post
There was the Chicago show that was fm sourced but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
https://archive.org/details/bc2005-07-05.flac16