Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i would make a mix cd but

1. it would blow your mind
2. i don't know how this thing works anymore

Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #367
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I will PM those people who have not posted a review again later tonight. If they do not by the end of the week then their mix makers should probably just post their tracklist and their link so it's at least out there and other people can see what was on it. Also, somebody suggested tallying up all the artists that were used on mixes and I sort of want to do that, if only to serve my curiosity.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #368
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

That was me. I'm good at suggesting others do work while having no intention of doing so myself.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #369
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Job well done then, sir. Luckily for you I enjoy doing tasks that nobody really ever needs to do simply because I have the time to waste.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #370
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

1. Sparkley sparkle… I like their droney singing over the phone to some jangly, crunchy guitar thing they’re doing. Pretty easy listening…

2. this reminds me of I don’t know. He also is singing over the phone. Not the greatest though. The mix is sloppy.

3. Bob Dylan? Very muppet show.

4. Very cool… a series of surfy riffs over a surfy beat in a minor key. Reminds me of the Raveonettes, only fewer layers.

5. Love it, great break.. music to frolic to in a meadow in a shirt with puffy sleeves.

6. Drum, synths, hushed layered vocals… meh.

7. This guy wishes he was Beck circa 1993. Thus, I like it.

8. Movie clip.. Resevoir dogs? Hmm.

9. A jammy riff and bass line and messy drums with a guy with Tourettes’ Syndrome periodically blurting out lines. Thumbs down.

10. Not sure who this is… I got impatient with it, though. I like the production.

11. This is hippy. I could listen to this…if I was in the mood.

12. I like this. Seems like an 80’s writing style.

13. Lovely guitars. Reminds me a bit of the Pixies.

14. Wow I feel so ADD listening to this.. over seven minutes long nd my skip button finger is itching something fierce.

15. Great closer for any mix… son of Shiva… is this Slowdive? I forget.. it’s in my minidisc pile of showgaze somewhere.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #371
Fritter
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
1. Sparkley sparkle… I like their droney singing over the phone to some jangly, crunchy guitar thing they’re doing. Pretty easy listening…

2. this reminds me of I don’t know. He also is singing over the phone. Not the greatest though. The mix is sloppy.

3. Bob Dylan? Very muppet show.

4. Very cool… a series of surfy riffs over a surfy beat in a minor key. Reminds me of the Raveonettes, only fewer layers.

5. Love it, great break.. music to frolic to in a meadow in a shirt with puffy sleeves.

6. Drum, synths, hushed layered vocals… meh.

7. This guy wishes he was Beck circa 1993. Thus, I like it.

8. Movie clip.. Resevoir dogs? Hmm.

9. A jammy riff and bass line and messy drums with a guy with Tourettes’ Syndrome periodically blurting out lines. Thumbs down.

10. Not sure who this is… I got impatient with it, though. I like the production.

11. This is hippy. I could listen to this…if I was in the mood.

12. I like this. Seems like an 80’s writing style.

13. Lovely guitars. Reminds me a bit of the Pixies.

14. Wow I feel so ADD listening to this.. over seven minutes long nd my skip button finger is itching something fierce.

15. Great closer for any mix… son of Shiva… is this Slowdive? I forget.. it’s in my minidisc pile of showgaze somewhere.
Good to see you liked most of it. Because i do these kind of things here is a why i picked the songs etc.

1. Sparklehorse - Hammering The Cramps, seemed like a natural opener so i used it as such.
2. Augie March - Song In The Key Of Chance, great song. maybe try EQing it? I find it funny that augie march aren't a heavy band or anything, but this is their heaviest song with their pansiest title.
3. Bob Dylan - Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine), needed to throw in some dylan i guess
4. The Chills- Pink Frost, originally i was going to rock your tits of with slice of heaven by dave dobbyn, but then i decided it would be a little weird or lost to an american or something. so i replaced it with some more NZ magic. cool song, unfortunately all i have by them though.
5. Augie March - Vernoona, this is probably more similar to the "normal" augie march. it reminds me off my bloody valentine in parts.
6. Cocteau Twins- Fotzepolitic, you've proven wrong my yet to be published theorem that it is impossible to not like this song.
7. Pavement- Pueblo, just a good song
8. Film Dialog- Let's Get A Taco, i didn't want to fall into some kind of a rut so i decided to split it in half (do 2 short mixes), this is the devider. this cracks me up every time.
9. Public Image Ltd. - Poptones, hmmm well i guess its just not your thing but this song is one of my favourites. it sounds slightly creepy and foreboding but it makes me want to dance, and i am not a dancing man.
10. Mudhoney- Good Enough, always liked this one, it's a hard road to your heart etc.
11. The Who - The Acid Queen, another track just thrown in, cool song.
12. The Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back, the hoodoo gurus and the scientists i kind of threw on because i find it interesting that these 2 bands have shared members and come from the same scene, yet they sound totally different. Also they're good songs.
13. The Scientists - Set It On Fire
14. The Drones - Jezebel, following on from those musing i was just kind of thinking of how many bands have a pretty fucking strong link to perth, but none of them are really known as perth bands. this is one of the songs of the decade for me(so far anyway). maybe give it a few more spins?
15. Slowdive - Machine Gun, just a good closer i thought. good to see the mix ended on something you liked.

EDIT: link if anyone wants it i guess...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AD7DYMZR

Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #372
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

finally here is my stoned review.

1. hate the production. guitar work is fine, but this really does nothing for me. too busy and buzzy. busy buzzy.

2. awesome. reminds me of dave matthews stuff. nice and funky. nice dry production. percussion is motownesque. i dig it. would be fun to jam to.

3. i like the drum and vox sounds but the guitar and bass are annoying me. this is a very manic song. makes me feel like i'm losing my mind.

4. fuck yeah. sounds like a modern attempt on a retro sound. i like it a lot. great guitar vocabulary. this is long as shit but it has yet to lose my attention. well done.

5. sounds like coltrane.... i like coltrane. i want this LP whatever it is.

6. i actually know this, i just dont know what from or what it is. i dig it. sounds like stuff that came through IU. no idea what they are saying. sounds... mongolian? eastern european? i cant place it. i'm getting rusty

7. sounds like a mix between the flektones and...disaster. interesting, just very busy. wow... kind of sucks in the end. noodlenoodlenoodle

8. yuck on the guitar tones. timing is bad, too. vox are awesome, but the song is kind of boring.

9. eddie vedder solo? ive never heard it directly, just of it. this is good mood music. sounds very...contemplative.

i dig the mix overall. a few dull moments but the tracks i liked i really liked. track six is driving me nuts. wtf is it

Last edited by SlingeroGuitaro : 10-10-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #373
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
finally here is my stoned review.

1. hate the production. guitar work is fine, but this really does nothing for me. too busy and buzzy. busy buzzy.

2. awesome. reminds me of dave matthews stuff. nice and funky. nice dry production. percussion is motownesque. i dig it. would be fun to jam to.

3. i like the drum and vox sounds but the guitar and bass are annoying me. this is a very manic song. makes me feel like i'm losing my mind.

4. fuck yeah. sounds like a modern attempt on a retro sound. i like it a lot. great guitar vocabulary. this is long as shit but it has yet to lose my attention. well done.

5. sounds like coltrane.... i like coltrane. i want this LP whatever it is.

6. i actually know this, i just dont know what from or what it is. i dig it. sounds like stuff that came through IU. no idea what they are saying. sounds... mongolian? eastern european? i cant place it. i'm getting rusty

7. sounds like a mix between the flektones and...disaster. interesting, just very busy. wow... kind of sucks in the end. noodlenoodlenoodle

8. yuck on the guitar tones. timing is bad, too. vox are awesome, but the song is kind of boring.

9. eddie vedder solo? ive never heard it directly, just of it. this is good mood music. sounds very...contemplative.

i dig the mix overall. a few dull moments but the tracks i liked i really liked. track six is driving me nuts. wtf is it
1. Torche - Triumph Of Venus
I later figured this would be a take it or leave it song. This band blew me away live with their 100 watt marshall and orange stacks all over the stage. Didn't translate well to the album IMO but it still tickles my fancy

2. The Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mclaughlin - Vital Transformation
Glad you like this one

3. Adrian Belew - Ampersand
The bass and drums on this track are Les Claypool and Danny Carey.

4. Mammatus - Dragon of the Deep Part Three (Excellent Swordfight)
I first heard this song in I'm Hardcore's jeep. I agree with your 'guitar vocabulary' comment. I sat down to try and transcribe it one time and...it's deceptively complex.

5. Moussa Doumbia - Keleya
Actually grabbed this off of a compilation called "The Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa".

6. Altan Urag - Requiem
the name of the LP is Made in Altan Urag. They're singing in mongolian. I found it while looking for throat singing recordings and was very pleased despite it not being what i was looking for.

7. Black Flag - Your Last Affront
Off of "The Process of Weeding Out".

8. Melvins - Joan of Arc
the vocals are awesome. is he screaming a falsetto note there or what? I haven't figured it out yet.

9. Eddie Vedder - Society
Into the Wild soundtrack. I think it's one of the more haunting performances I've heard him give.

10. Boris with Merzbow - Just Abandoned My-self
Off of "Rock Dream". This song makes me feel like im standing on a biplane flying through an infinitely long cave infested with bats.

11. Earth - Miami Morning Coming Down
off of 'hibernaculum'.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #374
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

huh, i only had 9 tracks in the file

Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #375
I'm Hardcore
Banned

alright, finally, here's my review:

track 1 - Stephen Malkmus, definetly. I havent listened to his solo stuff too much, but this track I'm sure is off 'Face The Truth'? very nice.

track 2 - this is nice, a bit samey though. Guy has a good voice.

track 3 - The Books 'Smells Like Content' nice

track 4 - cant say i enjoy this one very much at all.

track 5 - Akron/Family - 'Running Returning' one of my favorite bands. Superb song choice.

track 6 - Smog - 'I Feel Like The Mother Of The World'. This is a good track, but there are better moments on 'River' IMO.

track 7 - no idea who this is. Awesome vocals, Bonnie Prince Billy-ish, aside from the quick guitar. Cool song.

track 8 - again, no idea. Fairly montonous vocals, i cant get into this one.

track 9 - same as above, plods along without really doing much.

track 10 - i know this is the Pernice Brothers, not too sure which track though. One of their sappier moments!

track 11 - Arcade Fire - 'In The Backseat' . I assume you included this only because you love it, not because you thought i hadnt heard the Arcade Fire before?

track 12 - M.Ward - 'Big Boat'. Awesome! i really like this song.

track 13 - Elliot Smith vocals, kinda? i know its not him, who is this? Not bad.

track 14 - Pajo?? haha i'd have no idea which song this is though!

track 15 - Irish tune, i feel like he's going to belt into fucking Sunday Bloody Sunday or something. Dont like this one.

track 16 - no idea

track 17 - Antony and the Johnsons - 'Fistful Of Love'. Beautiful song. Probably my favorite off that record.

overall, this is a decent mix. i like how you've kept to a lo-fi/acoustic/singer-songwriter type theme, and a couple of your choices were superb (Akron/Family, Antony). 6/10, thanks for your effort!