Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
slunken
Virgo

Default serious question for new (post-2007) fans

or fans that just got into sp post-2007:

what was it like having that enormous body of work all at once and how did you start listening. what's it like listening to brand new music that spans like 30 years now.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post

what was it like having that enormous body of work all at once and how did you start listening. what's it like listening to brand new music that spans like 30 years now.
Mellon Collie became the soundtrack to one of the happiest moments of my life. Decided to do Speech Team my senior year (2012-2013). First became interested via the Howard Stern interview in promotion for Oceania. Decided to get into Mellon Collie during Speech. Disarm was the first song I downloaded, but remains one of my least listened to (except recently, for some reason). On the bus to one of the meets, I played '1979' and it just clicked. This was a soundtrack that just absolutely fit. I connected with it. Eventually listened to the album on the bus for, like, every meet. Would fall asleep to it. Wake up and listen to it. Several hours on the road to and from meets. Waiting to see the results at the meets. Went to State. Finally being recognized and being able to utilize my talents after having struggled with severe depression since I was 9. I was on top of the world. Fast forward a few months. I graduate high school. My grandma dies of brain cancer. It all goes away. Almost painful to listen to that music sometimes now because it takes me right back. Eventually I download the entire discography. I check out the Teargarden stuff. Last year on the one year anniversary of her death I got into Adore past the first 4 tracks (which I had previously already enjoyed) and listened to it as an album for the first time, thanks to the reissue. Also reading Billy's online journals really gave more meaning to it. Having went through the loss I did helped me to appreciate 'Adore' much more. Got more into Machina around that same time as well. Sometime between Mellon Collie and then Adore I had dabbled in all of the albums ("In My Body" has been a favorite for some time now). Sitting outside in the summer listening to Siamese Dream, or running to it on the treadmill. But it didn't soundtrack any significant life events so I don't have a connection with it. Have yet to really explore Gish, but have listened to it while working out. I'm 2,000 miles away from home at college. That's when I listened to Adore/Machina more in depth. Then when I went home this past break for Christmas, etc. I discovered what I consider to be perhaps the most beautiful song he's ever written, 'Home'. And I consider 'Dorian' to be the best track off MTAE by a long shot. Still discovering more songs. I have the Bsides and whatnot. But I could go on and on. 'Tonight, Tonight' will always remain my favorite, and 'Mellon Collie' my favorite album, for nostalgic reasons.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

I just took it piece by piece. I had heard most of their singles, but when I wanted to listen to it all I took the first album I wanted to listen to (MCIS) and listened to it for a while. Then I'd pick and choose the next one I wanted to listen to. Overwhelming myself with music is a sure fire way to not listen to it all, so that's why I only stuck to introducing one album at a time. But once I had listened to an album and moved on to the next one, I would still keep that album in my listening cycle.

I'll post more later if I think of anything else to say.

Edit: I will say though that the "quality drop" post-reunion is real. It's not really up for debate. As someone who heard the new music (pre-Monuments) before *most* of their discography, it's a pretty noticeable difference, and not for the better.

I say that because some people argue that critics of the new Simpsons episodes (2000-present) only dislike them because they've outgrown the series, and it's not relevant to them in their current stage of life. As in, if you took a new viewer to the Simpsons series, and had them watch the newer episodes, they wouldn't see the problems that "original" fans have with the newer episodes.
-not that I necessarily agree or disagree with that, but surely you can understand what they mean. But in the Smashing Pumpkin's case, SP1 > SP2 is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbrooks View Post
And I consider 'Dorian' to be the best track off MTAE by a long shot.
Judging by your post, I got into SP around the same time as you, but more quickly. I have all the albums from Gish - Machina pretty much locked in my brain. I just wanted to say that I liked Dorian the most on MTAE and wondered if that had anything to do with us being ~new to SP.

Last edited by DemonUnicorns : 02-09-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonUnicorns View Post
I just took it piece by piece. I had heard most of their singles, but when I wanted to listen to it all I took the first album I wanted to listen to (MCIS) and listened to it for a while. Then I'd pick and choose the next one I wanted to listen to. Overwhelming myself with music is a sure fire way to not listen to it all, so that's why I only stuck to introducing one album at a time. But once I had listened to an album and moved on to the next one, I would still keep that album in my listening cycle.

I'll post more later if I think of anything else to say.

Edit: I will say though that the "quality drop" post-reunion is real. It's not really up for debate. As someone who heard the new music (pre-Monuments) before *most* of their discography, it's a pretty noticeable difference, and not for the better.

I say that because some people argue that critics of the new Simpsons episodes (2000-present) only dislike them because they've outgrown the series, and it's not relevant to them in their current stage of life. As in, if you took a new viewer to the Simpsons series, and had them watch the newer episodes, they wouldn't see the problems that "original" fans have with the newer episodes.
-not that I necessarily agree or disagree with that, but surely you can understand what they mean. But in the Smashing Pumpkin's case, SP1 > SP2 is a fact.

Judging by your post, I got into SP around the same time as you, but more quickly. I have all the albums from Gish - Machina pretty much locked in my brain. I just wanted to say that I liked Dorian the most on MTAE and wondered if that had anything to do with us being ~new to SP.
I just think 'Dorian' has some sort of definitive 'Pumpkins' quality to it. It captures some kind of 'atmosphere' which none of the other tracks (or most/all SP2 songs) have. I agree that SP1 > SP2, however I recognize Billy's need to find a new sound rather than repeat an old one. I think the problem is he's trying to draw art from a conscious level rather than a subconscious one like back in the day. Too much calculating.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

i was a casual fan my whole life but didnt become obsessed until january 2010. it was pretty amazing having so many live recordings, videos, interviews, b-sides, and bootlegs to sink into. not to mention everything that came after 1995, which i'd always ignored

Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Ram27
dumb

Well it was great

I randomly decided to download a torrent of the greatest hits album, this was in 2011 or so, and it was missing all the Gish songs for some reason

So I listened to Cherub Rock and SIYL a ton of that...never really cared for BWBW or Zero or anything, Tonight was pretty good, and I definitely gravitated away from the Adore stuff or the 'weirder' Machina stuff

Then I decided to get the rest of the albums, this was in 2011 or so before Oach came out. The torrent uploaded cheekily didn't ******* ZG "because it sucked", so I listened to the rest of MCIS and SD and Gish, loved it, listened to Zwan, got a bunch of bootlegs and rarities, good times.

When I first heard Oceania, it was pleasant to listen to, but not in as deep of a way as the earlier stuff. I remember going on the oboard around then and seeing lots of people bitch about Mike Burns. I'd only been playing drums/caring about that stuff for 6 months at that point, so I couldn't reaaalllly tell the difference yet.

I don't remember actually listening to ZG for a while until joining Netphoria and deciding to check it out. Wasn't that good.

Same thing with Adore, it took me a while to appreciate it, but it's killer. The reissue helped with that a lot

The quality drop didn't really manifest itself into words and feelings and Netphoria posts at my early stages, I just didn't really listen to the new stuff that much because it straight up didn't sound as good as the old stuff.

I started watching the Simpsons when I was in elementary school, around season 15 or something. I couldn't tell the difference then, but now I can. Whereas with SP, it was pretty obvious

Old 02-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
LaBelle
Socialphobic

-redacted-

Last edited by LaBelle : 02-09-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

i heard doomsday clock on the transformers soundtrack in the summer of 2007. that was my first exposure.

about two years later i got guitar hero world tour for the wii. today became one of my favorites to play. a few years later, i got guitar hero 5 out of the library. bwbw became my favorite song to play, and i really started enjoying it. but i think it was around that time i got into nirvana and some other bands, so it was a while longer before i got into pumpkins.

flash-forward to 2012, i saw the smashing pumpkins had released a new album. i thought, "why don't i check it out?" listened once, didn't touch it again for about a month. but throughout august of that year, it was all i listened to. it started growing on me. i bought mellon collie in september and listened to all of it on a trip to lake erie. i liked it then, but it didn't have the same meaning for me then it does now. from there, i think i listened to siamese dream, then zeitgeist, then pisces, then adore, then gish, then machina. or something like that. weird order. in december i saw them on the oceania tour.

by february 2013, i owned every main release, along with aeroplane, still becoming apart, and more. don't know why i went and did that but i don't regret it. i'm happy with the collection and i have since added onto it.

in june 2013, i was all like "time to move onto another band, see ya later pumpkins". throughout the summer i listened to other shit, but in september i was drawn back. i was still a bit of a casual fan, even with all that i had purchased and with how much i claimed i loved the pumpkins.

from october to november 2013, i revisited aeroplane. december and january 2013/2014, gish. febuary, march, and april, siamese dream. may and june, pisces. i started playing guitar then. july to october, mellon collie. and most recently monuments. i'm diving back into aeroplane when i have time to, and then it's onto adore. and by then, i hope the machina reissue is out.

i'm really happy i came back around to the pumpkins. 2 years ago, i couldn't pinpoint what it was that drew me in and i oftentimes listened to music as background noise. coming back around allowed me to appreciate the albums a lot more than i previously had, and rediscover them in exciting new ways.

all this time's gone by and yet i still haven't listened to mashed potatoes, or watched a full concert online, or anything like that. so i gotta get on that stuff at some point. the amount of material out there i haven't gone anywhere near yet is mind-boggling. i guess i'm a stickler for the studio albums.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

i forgot to mention msots and tfe. i listened to those too in 2013. i still haven't listened to any djali zwan songs or the chicago songs or anything like that. i know, i'm missing out

Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
redbull
Immortal

djali zwan is great and chicago songs is the last interesting thing BC has done...recommended

Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Yeah so I guess the order I listened...

10 Oceania
1 Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
3 Adore
2 Siamese Dream
6 Machina/The Machines of God
7 The Aeroplane Flies High
4 Pisces Iscariot
5 Gish
8 Mary Star of the Sea
12 TheFutureEmbrace
11 Zeitgeist
9 Judas O
13 Monuments to an Elegy

The number next to each album is where I would rank it now. But boy I remember getting TAFH the week The Last of Us came out on PS3. That was one glorious summer week I will never forget, binge playing The Last of Us and forming a new found appreciation for James Iha.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Ram27
dumb

I remember spending summer 2012 listening to MCIS, playing Half Life 2, and watching baseball. It was amazing

Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

when i was listening to mellon collie this past summer/fall i was playing red dead redemption: undead nightmare and then bioshock at the same time. good times, those were. probably the best i had last year.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:

this is why i haven't been able to get into the cure. where the fuck do i start, ya know
the fans don't even agree as to which is their best album. with pumpkins, any old fan will tell a newbie to start with SD or MCIS, and the basic order of fan preference is obvious

Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #15
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

My time was a bit earlier, during zwan
I remember spaa and that was crazy, never saw one of those for any other band
That helped a lot

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #16
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

weird

I have listened to every album since Gish in sequence, except for Adore and Machina II, which I didn't seriously start listening to until 2 years ago.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #17
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember listening to Muzzle on repeat while playing Tennis on a NES emulator in early 1998.

I also remember holding a reanimated hand camp in Everquest, typing out the lyrics to the Everlasting Gaze, and some kid saying that song was "ghey".

Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #18
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:

Got into the band not long after Zeitgeist was released. This was and still basically my impression:

Gish: mehhhh

Siamese Dream: singles are great! Album is listenable as a whole.

MCIS: singles are great! Rest of album? I'm not sure if I've ever bothered to listen to the whole thing but most songs I just don't have the patience for. Not sure why Porcelina or Ruby are made out to be big deals.

Adore: I like the cohesive album and the live stuff with Kenny and Mike Garson.

Machine I: probably my favourite album as a whole.

Machine II: meh quality sounds low fi.

Rotten Apples: alright alright alright! All the singles collected, score!

Pisces had a few bearable songs.

Aeroplane: Pennies was my favourite SP song for a long time.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #19
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

man how dis you end up on an sp messageboard when you never even really liked them that much. SD is 'listenable'? can't even finish MCIS?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
Modern90's
Demi-God

I stared getting in to the oumpkins around 3 years ago with simease dream ( I discovered it on my own.) I spent the whole summer listening to it then diving into more pre mellon collie stuff ( gish, Pisces, live shows, etc..) Then I started getting into machina stuff (mainly machina 2 ) then went back and listened to mellon collie which I heard the singles from. I also listened to zietgiest which I think is a overproduced mess. I haven't really gotten into much past 2009 ( besides Oceania and MTAE), I'm still going through the huge catalog of sp material

Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
Modern90's
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
Got into the band not long after Zeitgeist was released. This was and still basically my impression:

Gish: mehhhh

Siamese Dream: singles are great! Album is listenable as a whole.

MCIS: singles are great! Rest of album? I'm not sure if I've ever bothered to listen to the whole thing but most songs I just don't have the patience for. Not sure why Porcelina or Ruby are made out to be big deals.

Adore: I like the cohesive album and the live stuff with Kenny and Mike Garson.

Machine I: probably my favourite album as a whole.

Machine II: meh quality sounds low fi.

Rotten Apples: alright alright alright! All the singles collected, score!

Pisces had a few bearable songs.

Aeroplane: Pennies was my favourite SP song for a long time.
Return you've lost all credibility how can you ssy gish is meh then say simease is listenable, THEN say mcis wasn't even finish able?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #22
Elphenor
Braindead

"Sounds lofi"

"Singles are great!"

"Most songs I just don't have the patience for"

Stay Pleb

Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
Modern90's
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Gyang sounds like a casual fan. Any of you noobs like the pre-gish stuff?
Gish and pre Gish material was some of my favorite pumpkins material for a long time

Honeyspider, razor, my dahlia

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #24
Modern90's
Demi-God

The drop off in music quality sucks MTAE sucked, Oceania sucked, zietgiest sucked but a little bit less than Oceania and MTAE. I still have only listened to MTAE twice since its release it just feels like a chore when a have a ton of great music to listen to instead

Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
Lt_Beans_McGood
Banned

http://i.imgur.com/NyG6NWF.jpg

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
this is why i haven't been able to get into the cure. where the fuck do i start, ya know
listen to pornography. every note is solid gold.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #27
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

pre-gish was what made me a believer. but i am only a semi noob (got into sp in 2000), thanks to the passage of time.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #28
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
http://i57.tinypic.com/vfuhpw.jpg

Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #29
bye june
Ownz

I had first heard SP during childhood...the video for Tonight, Tonight and 1979 on the radio.

Rotten Apples greatest hits was my first real introduction to SP in 2006.

I didn't exactly have everything available to me at once...I had to track everything down.

I wasn't fully aware of the internet as far as getting free music and even if I did we had slow dial-up at home. So I used any spare computer time I had at school to research bands like The Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #30
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I remember spending summer 2012 listening to MCIS, playing Half Life 2, and watching baseball. It was amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfacedyouth View Post
when i was listening to mellon collie this past summer/fall i was playing red dead redemption: undead nightmare and then bioshock at the same time. good times, those were. probably the best i had last year.
just wait till your grandkids are asking you to tell that story again where you stared at a screen all summer when you could have been following your passion