Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,785
Default nin.com: freedom

Trent's a free agent now. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is on this "fuck record labels" stuff

 
suncrashesdown is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

haha i like how he acts like he is "free" from the contract. He signed it so he could make big bucks, the label/his talents made him rich, and now hes playing the good guy now that he has a nice nest egg. i think the message is good, but its the same as radiohead

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Gossamer's Avatar
 
Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.
Posts: 3,832
Default

exactly

 
Gossamer is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
T&T
Minion of Satan
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 9,101
Default

trent shouls pump more iron and play more video games
maybe it'll take him 8 years for the next album to come out...


actually im' excited that the next album is already all written and mostly finished
and is part of the year zero viral marketing concept thingy...
like machina 2 and all....
or Kid B (Amnesiac)

bring on the product
i'm eating it up
2007 has been a great year

 
T&T is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

I hope he brings the guitars back for YZ2 and makes it in the vein of broken, as a good foil to the electronic bleep explosion of YZ. but itll prolly be more like an amnesiac (boring retread) : )

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
haha i like how he acts like he is "free" from the contract. He signed it so he could make big bucks, the label/his talents made him rich, and now hes playing the good guy now that he has a nice nest egg. i think the message is good, but its the same as radiohead
Do you know when he signed this contract?

I suspect, it was back when records still sold, and the downloading of music isn't as high as it is now. Most acts had no choice but to sign a record contract if they are going to be heard/make a living, epecially back then. Things are changing now, and trent now has the freedom to try something new just like radiohead. I don't think they should be criticized for doing so, especially not by some fuck like you.

 
Esty is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

yes you do have a point. Good thing you added in the little comment at the end because otherwise i never woulda thought it was our little hatemonger esty

edit - so did he sign one big contract back in the phm era for all these records, or up until how recently did he renew his contract?

Last edited by bja1288 : 10-08-2007 at 06:24 PM.

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Pretzel Logic's Avatar
 
Location: someone more...punk rock?
Posts: 3,562
Default

oh my god why are people still talking about NIN?? they're irrelevant and they fucking suck

 
Pretzel Logic is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
oh my god why are people still talking about NIN?? they're irrelevant and they fucking suck
yea, totally, i bet nin has a message board with tons of people discussing a band that hasnt been relevant since the 20th century. they fucking suck

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Pretzel Logic's Avatar
 
Location: someone more...punk rock?
Posts: 3,562
Default

i knew my comment would go over well!

 
Pretzel Logic is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
i knew my comment would go over well!

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead
 
Rockin' Cherub's Avatar
 
Location: the amazing year 400 million
Posts: 18,194
Default

dude thinks he's mozart

 
Rockin' Cherub is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

does anyone know when trent signed his most recent contract?

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 61,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
oh my god why are people still talking about NIN?? they're irrelevant and they fucking suck
yeah totally irrelevant

douchebag

 
Eulogy is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan
 
TheMilstead's Avatar
 
Location: Damn fine cup of coffee.
Posts: 5,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
but itll prolly be more like an amnesiac (boring retread) : )
Are you being serious? Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded at the exact same time. It was planned that way. Where does the "retread" come in exactly?

 
TheMilstead is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #16
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
Are you being serious? Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded at the exact same time. It was planned that way. Where does the "retread" come in exactly?
i prolly havent listened to either enough to make a statement, but i jus kinda got the feeling that amnesiac shoulda been a b-sides album, or make it a double with kid a. They are selling them as two separate albums when i dont see any growth or separation between the two...Speaking of money grabs?

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Fattening Ass's Avatar
 
Location: Planet Nintendu 64
Posts: 30,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
Are you being serious? Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded at the exact same time. It was planned that way. Where does the "retread" come in exactly?

yeah, I remember at one point it was touted as a double CD release.

 
Fattening Ass is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #18
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
i prolly havent listened to either enough to make a statement, but i jus kinda got the feeling that amnesiac shoulda been a b-sides album, or make it a double with kid a. They are selling them as two separate albums when i dont see any growth or separation between the two...Speaking of money grabs?

You need to shut the fuck up.

 
Esty is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
You need to shut the fuck up.
Hey, if you wanna join the conversation, maybe back up your argument that reznor has only signed record contracts in the early 90s when cds were the way to get your music out, then go right ahead, otherwise, thanks for your police work here, im glad you are on duty making sure that idiots shut the fuck up.

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #20
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

I've made a theory, not just about reznor, but also about Radiohead. The pumpkins had a contract for 7 albums that lasted years. I assumed Reznor had a similar deal. I could go looking for it, but I really don't fucking feel like it.

Still, you need to shut the fuck up. You're not saying anything anyone cares to read, and have only made yourself look stupid.

 
Esty is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #21
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade
 
Location: Waiting in line for his geranium kiss
Posts: 15,495
Default

Simple google search.

He was under contract for the past 18 years.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/10/...reznor-es.html

Hmm, he says that he has been under "contracts for 18 years" I have no idea when his last contract was signed. I'll try and find it.

 
Esty is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #22
sans anatomy
Ownz
 
sans anatomy's Avatar
 
Location: sansanatomy.com
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub
dude thinks he's mozart

really

 
sans anatomy is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster
 
silent_brian13's Avatar
 
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,436
Default

to those defending reznor and his great lashing out against labels, let us not forget he practically chose his fate.

from 89-92 he was signed to TVT records.

After that he released the downward spiral and the fragile on a label/contract HE CREATED. Nothing records.

Then he merged his company with interscope around 2000.

18 years stuck in contracts? hmm.

well, he is getting a ton of publicity for this. it'll help i suppose, when his next album comes out.

 
silent_brian13 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #24
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Simple google search.

He was under contract for the past 18 years.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/10/...reznor-es.html

Hmm, he says that he has been under "contracts for 18 years" I have no idea when his last contract was signed. I'll try and find it.
All i can find is that PHM was released on TVT, then he signed to Interscope/Nothing for broken, and has been with them since, so it coulda been one contract, but i cant find a definitive answer

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster
 
silent_brian13's Avatar
 
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
All i can find is that PHM was released on TVT, then he signed to Interscope/Nothing for broken, and has been with them since, so it coulda been one contract, but i cant find a definitive answer

he didn't sign to interscope/nothing.

he created nothing and merged his creation years later with interscope.

 
silent_brian13 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #26
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_brian13
he didn't sign to interscope/nothing.

he created nothing and merged his creation years later with interscope.
(granted this is wikipedia)
[Nothing Records] was an American record label, specializing in industrial rock and electronic music, founded by Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and John Malm, Jr. in 1992. It is considered an example of a vanity label, where an artist is able to run a label, with some degree of independence, from within a larger parent company, Interscope in this case.


-Are you trying to say that reznor created his own label (nothing) to release the multi pllatinum records broken and tds? i dont think so. Interscope oversaw it.

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #27
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster
 
silent_brian13's Avatar
 
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
(granted this is wikipedia)
[Nothing Records] was an American record label, specializing in industrial rock and electronic music, founded by Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and John Malm, Jr. in 1992. It is considered an example of a vanity label, where an artist is able to run a label, with some degree of independence, from within a larger parent company, Interscope in this case.

oh, i see what you are saying, parent company.

still it says to some degree. it remained reznors idea and creation.

 
silent_brian13 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #28
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster
 
silent_brian13's Avatar
 
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
(granted this is wikipedia)
[Nothing Records] was an American record label, specializing in industrial rock and electronic music, founded by Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and John Malm, Jr. in 1992. It is considered an example of a vanity label, where an artist is able to run a label, with some degree of independence, from within a larger parent company, Interscope in this case.


-Are you trying to say that reznor created his own label (nothing) to release the multi pllatinum records broken and tds? i dont think so. Interscope oversaw it.
i edited my last post. but why are you arguing with me? what i said clearly is in your favor in this whole argument.

 
silent_brian13 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #29
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster
 
bja1288's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,206
Default

you may be in my favor, but your facts werent right...i just wanted to understand this whole contract thing, im not here to win an argument.

 
bja1288 is offline
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #30
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster
 
flyfire's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288
All i can find is that PHM was released on TVT, then he signed to Interscope/Nothing for broken, and has been with them since, so it coulda been one contract, but i cant find a definitive answer

As part of the interscope deal, TVT received/s a percentage of NIN interscope sales.

so that's part of the contract(s).

 
flyfire is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014