View Poll Results: SP2 = good for you?
they should get back together 47 66.20%
they should not get back together 20 28.17%
comedy third/TFE was great 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Question spinoff poll: who does/doesn't think the reunion should happen?

???

i don't care if you'll still listen to the songs or go to a concert of theirs. who here honestly thinks that the reunion shouldn't happen?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Katy Lied
Apocalyptic Poster

IMO I do not think the name of the Smashing Pumpkins should be dug up. Even Chris Cornell knows not to dig up Soundgarden. A good thing should be left alone and not tampered with. Corgan has the potential to majorly fuck up SP's name. I think the expression "Let a sleep dog lie" is fitting for this whole reunion.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

I dont really feel like a reunion is taking place.

I have become used to the SP2 idea.

I feel like it's phase 2 pumpkins.

The energy of calling it SP2 rather than SP reunited (were they ever united anyway ....joke) seems to fit best for me for what seems to be happening.

i really hope that Sp2 doesn't fall in with association with dark ...dramaorama...
crappy weirdo bands ...it would be very sad

Last edited by mayday : 02-17-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Katy Lied
Apocalyptic Poster

i don't think i can convince myself like you did

Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
hereisnowhy
Minion of Satan

It's not a reunion. It's a renewal and revival. And I'm happy about it.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Lied
IMO I do not think the name of the Smashing Pumpkins should be dug up. Even Chris Cornell knows not to dig up Soundgarden. A good thing should be left alone and not tampered with. Corgan has the potential to majorly fuck up SP's name. I think the expression "Let a sleep dog lie" is fitting for this whole reunion.
I don't know the animosity situation with Soundgarden, but with him quitting Audioslave I wouldn't be shocked to see this happen.

How many bands continue on (without breaking up) well past their artistic peak, turning out watered-down versions of their previous work. The legacy argument holds no water. Machina, even Adore tarnished the Pumpkins name for some people. Should they have quit in '97? A lot depends on who shows up for the tour as far as the feel of the band is concerned, but If the album contains a few classic songs it will be worthwhile.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
D.
Consume my pants.

should not.

it's a sad thing to happen to a band that should have ended when they ended.

what would be way better than a reunion is a fucking boxset or something. actually, if billy insists on this damn reunion he should have released a box set to get people like me (who have lost interest in anything he does) interested again.

but billy will be billy.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive
The legacy argument holds no water. Machina, even Adore tarnished the Pumpkins name for some people. Should they have quit in '97? A lot depends on who shows up for the tour as far as the feel of the band is concerned, but If the album contains a few classic songs it will be worthwhile.
i personally feel that their aeroplane - machina 2 era was their most whorthwhile time.

corgan hasn't put out a hit song since...ava adore? or stand inside your love?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Should get back together. Nothing further your honor.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
Sigma
Demi-God

To me, the Pumpkins have always been about evolution. The thing I like most about them is that each album sounds very different from the others. In the past, they had to continue on without Jimmy, (which is more of a major personnel change than not having D'Arcy and probably more major than not having James, but we'll see about that). The band made the most of the situation and we got Adore, which is one of their best albums, in my opinion.

I see this as the band realizing they need to make the most of the situation and carrying on.
Hopefully the result will be great, but who knows.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

I thought this guy made some really good points in his blog, about this subject:

"The Police are reuniting."

What does that mean? In the case of the Police, a band about which I know little, my impression is probably shared by many people: Sting is working together again with the two other guys; they plan to tour or record a new album.

When I hear that "the Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting", I happen to know that the meaning is more confused. For one, Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has never really stopped collaborating with drummer Jimmy Chamberlin (and it has always been the musical connection between those two specific band members that made the Pumpkins what they were). Only a few months after the final Pumpkins show in December 2000, Corgan and Chamberlin started working together on a project with two other musicians. They termed this project to be a new band called "Zwan"; output *******d a Zwan album and several tours. In 2003, they parted company with the others and ceased use of the Zwan name. In 2004, Chamberlin worked with some other musicians to record an album under the name "Jimmy Chamberlin Complex"; Corgan provided guest vocals on one song for what was widely described as a solo album. Also in 2004, Corgan worked with some other musicians to record an album under his own name; Chamberlin provided drumming on one song for what was universally described as a solo album. Then in 2005, Corgan announced that he planned to "renew and revive" the Smashing Pumpkins. To informed observers it was known that Chamberlin would be the drummer for this new project, but it was doubtful that former Pumpkins guitarist James Iha or bassist D'Arcy Wretzky would be involved; it has since become increasingly clear that Iha and Wretzky are not involved.

So looking at this "reunion" strictly in terms of personnel, we see two guys -- who were never really apart -- working with additional musicians in the same manner as when they recorded an album under the name "Zwan". What then is the significance, if any, of their use of the name "The Smashing Pumpkins"? Is this really the same band that is commonly said to have existed from 1988-2000? If it is, then wasn't "Zwan" really the Smashing Pumpkins too? If it isn't, then should fans or former members be upset by the use of the Pumpkins name?

Looking beyond personnel, there is one key dimension along which the new Pumpkins is more similar to the old Pumpkins than to Zwan or Corgan's solo effort: neither Zwan nor Corgan's tour band (jokingly nicknamed "the Fellowship of Toys") ever performed an old Pumpkins song in concert. The use of the Pumpkins name at this time is a signal that any upcoming tours will draw upon the set of songs released under that name. And this may generate some insight into the choice to resume use of the Pumpkin name: If you're Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin -- you know Iha and Wretzky aren't coming back, but you want to play your old songs in concert -- are you better off doing so under the old name or a new name? It seems clear that you will be able to draw more attention with the old name. In this sense, the use of the old name is a means -- and almost certainly the most effective available means -- to up the ante; the pressure on Corgan and Chamberlin to deliver a great album and to play great concerts is increased with the public attention they draw by using the old name. By putting out his bold 2005 "renew and revive" announcement (he took out a full-page ad in the Chicago Tribune), Corgan put that pressure on himself to do something great.

If you're a fan of the Pumpkins and/or the subsequent work by Corgan and Chamberlin, then, here is the question I think you should be asking: Am I better off with Corgan and Chamberlin surrounded by excitement and working hard to meet high expectations, or with them being generally ignored and facing little pressure to do anything? (Or am I better off dismissing the whole thing because of the hypothetically hurt feelings of Iha and Wretzky? Really?)

The upshot for the nature of the organization is this: The organization name matters a lot for public perception, and public perception can matter for the success (financial and otherwise) of the organization. The name matters a lot for the history books; Corgan's and Chamberlin's efforts in Zwan, for instance, are going to be a footnote in rock history. So, here's Jason's Lesson from Rock #1: for the "visible history" of the organization, the name seems to matter quite a bit; I'm not really sure what matters more to how the story of an organization is told, and storytelling (i.e., history) is the purpose of theory, isn't it?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

if i had my way, we would never hear from bill again

Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
wHATcOLOR

except maybe on some site mocking him as he ages

Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
Junebug
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereisnowhy
It's not a reunion. It's a renewal and revival. And I'm happy about it.

okay seriously, what the heck is a "renewal and revival"? because to me it sounds like someone's way of getting around the fact that half the band doesn't want to have anything to do with the other half. in other words, BS.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

why should the "musical core" of a band have to suffer just because the two more negligible members don't want to rejoin? they (Billy & Jimmy) should still be abe to move on if they choose.

therefore "renewal and revival" is actually more accurate, not BS...afteral, if he said "reunion" it woud imply all the original members were coming back.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
wHATcOLOR

yeah dog, key phrase there is "move on". using the old band name partly to drum up attention, partly so you can play old songs again hardly sounds like moving on to me

Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #17
Junebug
Minion of Satan

quiet, davin. you know i don't care what you think about this matter.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
wHATcOLOR

also, hows life treating you these days you stinky little fucker

Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

imagine if you wrote 98% of the songs for a band....would you stop singing them because two less significant members didn't want to come back? especially if the songs were close to youe heart, you would want to play them again.

and of course, if they were popular...

Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug
quiet, davin. you know i don't care what you think about this matter.
ok, but thats a lame way to get out of a rebuttal.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
wHATcOLOR

he doesn't even have a heart, i don't know why people keep refering to this supposed 'heart'

Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
Junebug
Minion of Satan

how come you listen to esty but not me.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

huh?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
i don't know why people keep refering to this supposed 'heart'
i dunno, maybe its the countless songs about sorrow and love.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #25
wHATcOLOR

well he's sure got a vag., that's undeniable

Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #26
Junebug
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
well he's sure got a vag., that's undeniable
hey man, don't sully my gender's reputation like that. he's all yours on this one.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
hey man, don't sully my gender's reputation like that. he's all yours on this one.
lolololol

Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #28
hereisnowhy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
okay seriously, what the heck is a "renewal and revival"? because to me it sounds like someone's way of getting around the fact that half the band doesn't want to have anything to do with the other half. in other words, BS.
It means the driving force behind the band is coming back into action. The pumpkins were the pumpkins with Billy, James, D'arcy, Jimmy, not Jimmy, not D'arcy, Melissa, Kenny, etc, because the force behind the band still existed. Zwan had a different direction, a different purpose.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #29
Corganist
Minion of Satan

I definitely think it should happen.

Listen to the b-sides of the Tonight Tonight single from TAFH. It's mostly just Billy in his bedroom with a guitar, and its incredible in the way only the Pumpkins can be even though James, D'arcy, and Jimmy are almost nowhere to be found on any of it. Maybe they were there in Billy's house "in spirit," or whatever it is some of you say, when he was recording those songs. I don't know. If that's really the case, then I don't see what has to be different now. Does anyone seriously think that thoughts of James and/or Darcy don't hang over everything Billy's trying to do now? I'd almost go out on a limb and say that they should be more "there in spirit" now than they ever were when they were in the band.

I guess my point is that Billy has been capable of producing incredible music worthy of the Pumpkins name all by himself in the past. I'm hopeful he can do it again. I've recently really reconnected emotionally with a lot of Pumpkins material (particularly from the MCIS/TAFH era) in a way that I haven't in years. Maybe its selfish, but I want more music that affects me in that way. If it takes Billy and Jimmy playing under the SP name to produce it, then I'm all for it.