Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #4231
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Hereditary - A

hooooly fuck man. talk about truly horrific
The internet hysteria over this one strongly suggests it is the most horribly disturbing thing/artwork/moviefilm ever created, ever, and that it will give me ptsd, nightmares, ruin my life, and hurt me deeply in my heart

HELL YEAH CANT FUCKEN WAIT

Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #4232
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

letting Ian Malcolm live made sense because they knew he was going to be awkwardly resurrected anyway, but I never got why they let Hammond live

Old 06-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #4233
redbreegull

I don't even remember TLW novel very well, but in the movie didn't they invent a biracial daughter for Malcolm and all kinds of other random shit?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #4234
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't even remember TLW novel very well, but in the movie didn't they invent a biracial daughter for Malcolm and all kinds of other random shit?
In the book, there was a nerdy black kid named Arnie and a poor, scrawny girl named Kelly. David Koepp essentially smooshed the two characters together into Ian's daughter.

The movie has very little in common with the book, outside of the rescue operation to save Sara (Moore) and the scene with the trailers going over the cliff, which is still badass to this day.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #4235
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
letting Ian Malcolm live made sense because they knew he was going to be awkwardly resurrected anyway, but I never got why they let Hammond live
Well, they wisely chose not to make Hammond the villain of the story, so it wouldn't make sense for him to receive his comeuppance in the film. This is Spielberg, after all. The edges are usually worn off so that the "good" characters live and the "bad" (or compromised) characters die.

And because it was the early '90s and he died in everything back then, Sam Jackson had to go as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #4236
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I did so many book reports on the Jurassic Park novel in grade school/junior high that my peers started calling me out on it.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #4237
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

"Do a book report on your favorite author"

"My favorite author is Michael Crichton"

- Me, and also no one ever.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #4238
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I read the F outta mike chrickton 2 f’lobes

Then plagiarized the shit out of it for gory short stories i made my grandma read

Congo, Sphere, good grief y’all shit is still so bitchin

Old 06-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #4239
redbreegull

Was Crichton a climate denier? I have heard people say that, but what I remember him saying in JP is that humans are egoistical to believe we can "destroy the world" when in fact we don't have that power. The Earth is going to destroy us to reset balance, as we are actually just one more natural process on this planet.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #4240
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Was Crichton a climate denier? I have heard people say that, but what I remember him saying in JP is that humans are egoistical to believe we can "destroy the world" when in fact we don't have that power. The Earth is going to destroy us to reset balance, as we are actually just one more natural process on this planet.
I dunno, I never dug that deep on those book reports.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #4241
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I read the F outta mike chrickton 2 f’lobes

Then plagiarized the shit out of it for gory short stories i made my grandma read

Congo, Sphere, good grief y’all shit is still so bitchin

Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #4242
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I still got my Airframe paperback sitting on the shelf.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #4243
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Sphere might be one of the worst Crichton adaptations if not one of the worst movies ever.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #4244
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
we as a species bring unprecedented destruction to this planet, but if we spontaneously ceased to exist for whatever reason, it's been hypothesized that it would be able to rehabilitate itself almost completely within around 10,000 years. 10 million years after that, every bit of last remain left behind, including plastic and so forth, will be perished and it will be almost as if we never existed.

who knows, perhaps it wouldn't even be the first time it has happened

Old 06-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #4245
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

not that it matters, life is a supercomputer simulation running on a matrioshka brain in space and consciousness is an illusion

Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #4246
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
we as a species bring unprecedented destruction to this planet, but if we spontaneously ceased to exist for whatever reason, it's been hypothesized that it would be able to rehabilitate itself almost completely within around 10,000 years. 10 million years after that, every bit of last remain left behind, including plastic and so forth, will be perished and it will be almost as if we never existed.

Despite how much damage we have done, the rate of damage would drop off sharply if there were a mass die off or something. I read a whole thing a few years ago about how the Syrian war has resulted in an unbelievable drop in greenhouse emissions and pollution from within the country because human life has sort of ceased to operate there.

I think we are destroying Earth's ability to support us, and there is a lot of collateral damage, but I don't know if it matters or not if things ever go back to "the way they were," you know? Earth's climate has changed over and over throughout history and life has ultimately adapted and been successful, so that's kind of how I interpreted Crichton's perspective. I'm definitely not saying that it *doesn't matter* that there is so much suffering going on in the world both in the human and natural realms because of our actions. We have brought imbalance to the whole planet and now catastrophic things are going to happen. But I do think from a big picture perspective, we are just another natural phenomenon which Earth produced, and because we are fucking with systems so much higher and more powerful than ourselves, the pendulum is just gonna swing back and wipe most of us out in order to bring balance. But the mass extinction going on now is not objectively any different than other natural disasters which have totally upended ecological order on our planet. It's just another test of natural selection.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #4247
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this is the movie thread right?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #4248
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's a bizarre time to be alive.
incredible, obtuse, enlightening, unfortunate, prosperous without precedent, yet deeply sick and sad. all at the same time.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #4249
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Hereditary - 9/10

Woo boy, what a film. Very well-crafted horror that pulls you slowly in before completely pummeling you. I watch a LOT of horror, but this one definitely had me wrapped around its finger.

Do yourself a favor: don't read any reviews or any fine details. If you've seen the trailer, let that be enough. Just go see it.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #4250
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:

It's a nice thought.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #4251
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 2/5
Some kinda fun moments lost in a sea of annoyingly boring moments. Still better than The Lost World.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #4252
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Jeff Goldblum <3

Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #4253
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Oh, and I saw the Hereditary trailer and it looked cool.
Please no spoilers until next week after I see it, pls and thank you.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #4254
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
I can't wait

Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #4255
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

give me the red button i'll press it

Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #4256
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

ok so, semi-unrelated question.

when i was little, i distinctly remember hearing a lot of talk about how humans damaged the ozone beyond the point of no return, and that even though it is capable of healing a considerable amount, it will never be able to heal completely. it has always stayed with me since then, and is kind of a triggery recurring thought. but now, i'm watching a video that says the ozone hole over antartica is healing surprisingly well and is expected to make a full recovery by the year of 2060.

anyone got a quick draw on this?

Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #4257
redbreegull

I have no idea how well the Earth is able to repair ozone holes, but I have read about how the Antarctic hole is repairing a lot faster than predicted

Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #4258
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

there's only one hole that i know for sure is beyond repair, and it belongs to foolofatook's mom.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #4259
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Oh, and I saw the Hereditary trailer and it looked cool.
Please no spoilers until next week after I see it, pls and thank you.
OK but the part where they reveal the Statue of Liberty and you realize they were on Earth the whole time will blow your mind.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #4260
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 2/5
Some kinda fun moments lost in a sea of annoyingly boring moments. Still better than The Lost World.
I'm going to go into this expecting a big, dumb "monster" movie, ala Kong: Skull Island. Nothing more.