Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #31
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Sometimes I don't understand how James put up with Billy for so long. Longer than anyone else who has been in the band.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #32
Kahlo

Maybe he was loyal, or loved the cash and bitches.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
From the Chicago Tribune:

"The mood turned serious only on the psychedelic-tinged "Widow Wake My Mind." The new Pumpkins song made it clear that Corgan needs to be surrounded by higher-caliber instrumentalists. An attempt at audience participation failed to secure the requisite support. "You're just a step above James Iha right now," he told the crowd, working in a dig at his former mate."
That's pretty harsh. But then again, I wouldn't know what their relationship was like. For all I know James might be a real apathetic dick.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #34
Catherine Wheel
Banned

According to Wikipedia James was the "quiet one"

Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #35
Kahlo

If the confessions are to be believed he did seem like a bit of a wanker. Then again, maybe Corgan brought out the best of him.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
Catherine Wheel
Banned

The confessions made Corgan seem like more of an asshole than James. He calls James out for mentioning Darcy at the 2000 Metro show like that was inappropriate or something. Billy seems like an obnoxious jerk most of the time.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #37
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
The confessions made Corgan seem like more of an asshole than James. He calls James out for mentioning Darcy at the 2000 Metro show like that was inappropriate or something. Billy seems like an obnoxious jerk most of the time.
He only called him out for it because James made a point of mentioning D'arcy and then proceeded to give his current bandmates the cold shoulder the rest of the night.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #38
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I've read overviews / reviews of the Metro show and they never made it seem like he gave Billy and Jimmy the could shoulder for the rest of the night.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #39
cork_soaker
full of longing

after the show

Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #40
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Ugh he said that? Tasteless. I bet it went down well

Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #41
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
He only called him out for it because James made a point of mentioning D'arcy and then proceeded to give his current bandmates the cold shoulder the rest of the night.
Melissa is still good friends with James and she didn't say anything about it. I don't think I've heard Jimmy mention it either. The only person that complained about that was Billy. James probably wouldn't have said anything if Billy acknowledged D'arcy to begin with, which he should have in that moment.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #42
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

new billy interview: Billy Corgan on pro wrestling, Jessica Simpson and his plans to write a memoir - About Last Night

...with probably one of the worst pictures I've seen of him...
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...2d52970b-800wi

Quote:
Less than an hour before his first Chicago show since Dec. 2008, Billy Corgan sat with me in LaSalle Power Co.’s (500 N. LaSalle Blvd.) u-shaped green room on Thursday discussing -- what else? -- professional wrestling.

The Smashing Pumpkins singer, a die-hard wrestling fan, managed to make the conversation sound like a discussion about theater (“If a wrestler can embody a character, you’ll go along for the ride”) and kept the tone serious and analytical.

“Part of my attraction to that world is that I put the same energy into it that I used to put into my music world,” said Corgan, 42, who was performing at a benefit for NorthShore University HealthSystem’s Integrative Medicine Program.

“It’s not political for me. In the musical world, it got political. I stopped reading all music press and now just read wrestling press.”

If it sounds like Corgan is down on the record industry, that’s because he is. One of the reasons he plans on releasing 44 new Smashing Pumpkins songs for free online is to avoid having to deal with some of the record industry drama.

Corgan has so far released two songs off the “Teargarden By Kaleidyscope” project and said he just completed the sixth song. He expects to release some of the new music over the next few weeks.

“I think a song at a time over the course of three to four years makes sense,” Corgan said. “I figured this was the best way to skip all that drama. All that drama is really boring.”

Surprisingly, Corgan isn’t as bored with the tabloid drama that occasionally surrounds his life.

“The stuff that I’ve seen doesn’t have any bearing to the reality that I’m in,” said Corgan, who tabloids have recently linked to pop star Jessica Simpson. “It’s like being in a cartoon. It has nothing to do with what’s really going on or how I feel.”

When asked about his studio collaboration with Simpson last month, the Glendale Heights-native said it was for her upcoming VH1 reality show, “The Price of Beauty.”

“She asked me to help her out on the theme song for her new TV show,” Corgan said. “[The show] has an interesting concept. She goes around the world to show how different people perceive beauty. In some cultures, bigger is better. In some, smaller is better. It’s interesting.”

“I ended up writing part of [the theme song]. It has a little bit of an alternative rock edge, but it’s still very pop-y.”

What’s next for Corgan -- besides recording 38 more Pumpkins songs?

“I just signed a deal to write my memoir,” Corgan responded. “It’s supposed to come out at the end of next year. It’s a spiritual memoir about life from a spiritual perspective – not from a media or celeb perspective.”

Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #43
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Just finished recording the 6th song? And we're at the end of February?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #44
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I thought so too. He supposedly wrote the confessions to tell his side of the story (his words) and he was probably trying to gain some sympathy from his detractors too. However, while there were moments where I did sympathize with him, for the most part he just ended up sounding like a self-absorbed asshole in most of those entries. I hated how he constantly tried to make excuses for all of the things that he did, it was like he was saying “it wasn't really my fault, I wouldn't have done this or that if this person didn't say or do this to me”.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #45
Caine Walker
Braindead

a memoir? uh oh.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #46
slunken
Virgo

pop-y

Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #47
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

"I ended up writing part of the theme song. It has a little bit of an alternative rock edge, but it’s still very pop-y."

Oh. So in other words, it basically sounds just like Window Wank My Rind, but maybe a little better.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #48
slunken
Virgo

It's like he's trying to prove to himself that he can write memorable hits without the help of radio or labels or whathaveyou.

Shit, he wrote more non-radio-friendly jams when he was on a label and getting regular airplay. Those weren't necessarily the singles, but the real singles made those monster noise jams that much more ok.

Now we get no monster songs, just safe play-it-by-the-numbers wish-i-was-on-the-radio songs.

He keeps saying he's doing what he wants to do; but I think it's apparent he doesn't know what he wants do to.

Could anyone see a song like XYU or White Spyder being released on Teargarden? Personally I can't.

As much as he badmouths "the indies" he's really reaching to be a part of that. Great, so you're not making your album with pro-tools and are using real tape. Kudos, I think that's great. But you're not exactly making no-holds-barred music with that freedom.

It's a perfect example of a guy being freed from prison and doesn't know how to handle himself in the real world so he ends up either committing another crime to get back into prison or killing himself.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #49
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
“Part of my attraction to that [wresting] world is that I put the same energy into it that I used to put into my music world,”
Oh dear.

Also: the memoir would have been an interesting read...had it been written, like, seven years ago! Now's it's got to be a "spiritual" autobiography?! No thanks. As self-serving as some parts may have been, it was an interesting read.

Last edited by stumpycat : 02-20-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #50
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I was hoping that maybe Billy liked wrestling in an ironic sort of way. But he really takes the stuff seriously.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

There is an art form to wrestling whether you want to recognize it or not.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #52
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I understand the degree of athleticism and training involved; I used to actually enjoy it as a little kid, before I figured out that the "competition" was all staged. That pretty much blew it for me.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #53
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I think the best description I've heard of wrestling is that it is basically a soap opera for men. I find it weird and funny that Billy takes it so seriously.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #54
DiscoJon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I think the best description I've heard of wrestling is that it is basically a soap opera for men. I find it weird and funny that Billy takes it so seriously.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #55
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
It's not really any weirder than women who take real soap operas seriously.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #56
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Club View Post
It's not really any weirder than women who take real soap operas seriously.
I never understood that either. It's ridiculous.

I completely forgot that Billy did that commercial for tna. I remember reading an interview with Melissa where she said that Billy would watch wrestling videos on tour a lot and he would claim that it was like Shakespeare.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #57
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

YouTube - DavidKanevsky1980's Channel

Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #58
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

I wonder if Billy thinks The Rock sold out?