Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #121
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Yep that's a good analogy.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #122
Disco King
Minion of Satan

They way I see it, even if Freud's "theories" were unfalsifiable or just plain wrong, he at least got the ball rolling on studying the mind and inquiring into how it works and postulating that not every aspect of the mind of conscious (and that most are probably unconscious, but these processes still shape behaviour), something that still informs cognitive science.

Reason I compared it to astrology is that the first astronomers were also astrologers. Physicists and scientists in general practiced occultism, and even Newton wrote volumes on spooky stuff and practiced astrology. And some astrology kind of bled into astronomy, when it came to making predictions about planetary motion and stuff, just as psychoanalysis had some of the seeds of more refined psychology.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #123
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Maybe I just don't know a lot about astrology, but yeah putting it that way I see what you mean.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #124
slunken
Virgo

Thank you. Astrology is just super early psychology.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 PM   #125
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
They way I see it, even if Freud's "theories" were unfalsifiable or just plain wrong, he at least got the ball rolling on studying the mind and inquiring into how it works and postulating that not every aspect of the mind of conscious (and that most are probably unconscious, but these processes still shape behaviour), something that still informs cognitive science.

Reason I compared it to astrology is that the first astronomers were also astrologers. Physicists and scientists in general practiced occultism, and even Newton wrote volumes on spooky stuff and practiced astrology. And some astrology kind of bled into astronomy, when it came to making predictions about planetary motion and stuff, just as psychoanalysis had some of the seeds of more refined psychology.
this

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #126
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Yeah, Freud's more specific theories are mostly crap and I'd never use them in anything.

Check it out if you want

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwh...ew?usp=sharing

It's not so much that the one character was there to show the other's narcissism only - I also explored that the character himself pretty much knew what is role was and reluctantly embraced it as a way to make a living. It's just much easier to see that side than to see why on earth the guy doing all the work would split anything with the guy doing nothing.
This was an excellent 100-level paper, I reckon. The thing about 100-level papers is that nobody expects you to have an abundance of literary references, because you're starting out and haven't read the 'basic texts' - or the texts that the teachers at your particular uni view as being standards. I feel like at this level (500-level) the expectation is that we'll write something like "reminiscent of Beckett in xyz, when he xyz the xyz, evoking the sense of xyz. XYZ's work presents a subdued impression when we contrast xyz with xyz"....and I just have none of that under my belt. Partly because I have no background in lit, and partly because even if I did have one, it wouldn't necessarily match up with what my current uni considers a lit background.

You write beautifully, though...I found it lovely to read (and interesting).

Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #127
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
neither have i. but if there are books you love and for reasons that speak to you then it doesn't matter. most likely they haven't read what you've read. should that make them feel stupid? maybe. but now you're even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
and a lot of the standard stuff is only read because one feels they need to read the "standards".
I do agree with both of these things...it does look like Proust is 'standard' at my current uni. One of the novellas we read was a stream of consciousness work, 'experimental' fiction. And it involved a lot of memories being intermingled with current action, through a stream of conscious narrative. The narrator is walking down a road into the city, and passes a fruit store I think, where the fruiterer has a distinctive dark moustache, and sad eyes - his name is Marcel. A few people picked up this reference and commented with disdain - I read over it and didn't pick it up, at all. It's those little things that make me feel stupid - or not stupid, but ignorant. Which I am! It's not pleasant to be confronted so directly with it.

(I should be used to it, after posting here for so many years)

Quote:
Sounds like a cool paper. I mean, yeah, since the purpose of anything in a story should be to explore characterization or further plot or develop theme and shouldn't just be there for no reason at all, it makes sense that anything that just seems arbitrary would have an underlying reason for being there that furthers one of these goals, assuming it's a good reason. I can see having a seemingly extraneous character actually being useful to demonstrate some personality of the other character like that.
I think some schools of 'lit cric' forego even this assumption, if what rbg posted is a real thing.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #128
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
This was an excellent 100-level paper, I reckon. The thing about 100-level papers is that nobody expects you to have an abundance of literary references, because you're starting out and haven't read the 'basic texts' - or the texts that the teachers at your particular uni view as being standards. I feel like at this level (500-level) the expectation is that we'll write something like "reminiscent of Beckett in xyz, when he xyz the xyz, evoking the sense of xyz. XYZ's work presents a subdued impression when we contrast xyz with xyz"....and I just have none of that under my belt. Partly because I have no background in lit, and partly because even if I did have one, it wouldn't necessarily match up with what my current uni considers a lit background.

You write beautifully, though...I found it lovely to read (and interesting).
I see, that does pose a problem for sure. Do you have a plan to combat this?

Thanks for the compliment about the paper.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #129
vixnix
Socialphobic

Just reading the classics as fast as I can, after finishing these set texts, and articles/interviews. I get up at 6am to read, before the kids wake up. I'm exhausted - fell asleep in the hairdresser's chair the other day. My first assignment is due next Thursday so the pressure's kind of on.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #130
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

The big issue today is that very little of what is accepted as modern psychology has been verified in a scientific manner. In that sense it's not moved far at all from Freud.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #131
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

what about sabbatharian iommicology?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #132
TuralyonW3
Immortal

has anyone read middlemarch by geroge elloit?

anyoen seen the bbc bleak house?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #133
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i read middlemarch so long ago and under such stone-ned circumstances that i remember nothing (JD!)

dickens is amazing. i need to read more dickens. have you read edwin drood? really weird story, such a shame we only have a part of it.