Show some patriotism, young man.
Hahaha

Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #302
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
You don't have to like your president, but you should at least respect him. He's the leader of your country. Show some patriotism, young man.
respecting someone because of their title alone is ridiculous. he doesn't deserve a bit of respect.

also trump is not a populist, he's a corrupt fascist who used the trappings of populism to win the election

Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #303
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

One time I responded positively to something fuzzy said. I feel his hijacking of this thread is punishment for that.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #304
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy Corgan was in a 'low place' before Smashing Pumpkins reunited

Old 03-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #305
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

wanker. i live well below sea level and you don't hear me whining

Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #306
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
"So I bummed around the house for a little while. I got depressed. And then I thought: Can I still write a song that I care about? Before that I'd been trying to find some kind of balance in the messaging. There were things I wanted to say, but could I still say them in a way that would attract people? I don't know. It was a losing formula, which is why I feel reticent to talk about it.
this sounds heartfelt but it's really hard to believe him

Old 03-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #307
cork_soaker
full of longing

http://www.latimes.com/resizer/8yqb9...S7J3T7TIRY.jpg

Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #308
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

2018 spring fashion thread eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #309
bigoltitties
Pledge

"And then here I am, 20 years later, and maybe that's not so true anymore. That's a weird place to get to if once you believed you'd never get there. So I just had to get to the next space. And I wasn't going to lean on the band name to do it; I wasn't going to get the gang back together and fall into desperation."

Well, that was short lived.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #310
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
2018 spring fashion thread eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
fuk yehh

faves & tips?

Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #311
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
He started to doubt that anyone cared about what he had to say
— billy corgan 2017
.-....-
.o...o
...O.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #312
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Smile

Quote:
I told Corgan that he'd never struck me as the type of artist to so openly crave validation from others.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #313
fuzzyroes
Banned

Seems the reception to Monuments really crushed him. It's too bad, I thought it was actually a pretty strong showing. I think it just needed 3 or 4 more songs and it would have been received a lot better. It was simply too short, which made a stinker like Run to me all the more glaring.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:32 AM   #314
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
.-....-
.o...o
...O.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:53 AM   #315
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Seems the reception to Monuments really crushed him. It's too bad, I thought it was actually a pretty strong showing. I think it just needed 3 or 4 more songs and it would have been received a lot better. It was simply too short, which made a stinker like Run to me all the more glaring.
I agree that it had a lot of promise in terms of hooks. The lyrics were dreadful and it was clear that he didn't care about them too much. He had absolutely nothing to say and it made the whole album appear shallow and forgettable. The uninspired vocal performances didn't help. People enjoyed his singing back in the day because he had so much passion in his voice even though he wasn't a good singer in the traditional sense.

That being said, the interview makes me hopeful that the new SP eps are gonna be something above average. I hope he's really trying this time around and focused on improving the writing instead of stroking his ego.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #316
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Monuments is the kind of bad you just don't give a shit about. It's not like the album is awful, you have some good riffs here and there, but it's generic as fuck. It's soulless, meaningless, it doesn't connect to anyone.

Does Billy still have something to say? And, if so, is he able to communicate it to the audience in a manner people will pay attention to?

Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #317
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

In an interview Billy said he changed his way of songwriting for the Monuments album because he thought that was necessary in an ADHD world.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #318
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

But that's not a new thing. The last very personal record he was able to write was Adore. Machina is mixed, sometimes very cold and difficult to communicate to a bigger audience.

I think he did a better job with Ogilala.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #319
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

"He started to doubt that anyone cared about what he had to say"

should of checked out netphoria.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #320
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Machina was a personal record in that it was a fictionalized autobiography about a cartoon character that he felt at ease using in order to put his megalomania and latent born-again urges on display.

If he could just fucking sit down and simply explore shit that means something to him, it'd go a long way towards getting people to care about what he has to say.

Nobody will give a rat's ass as long as he's holding back and rambling about strange lovers and writing half-sentences like "I feel alright tonight, everywhere I go is shining bright, alright alright alright".

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #321
FoolofaTook

latent born again urges lol

Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #322
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Machina was a personal record in that it was a fictionalized autobiography about a cartoon character that he felt at ease using in order to put his megalomania and latent born-again urges on display.

If he could just fucking sit down and simply explore shit that means something to him, it'd go a long way towards getting people to care about what he has to say.

Nobody will give a rat's ass as long as he's holding back and rambling about strange lovers and writing half-sentences like "I feel alright tonight, everywhere I go is shining bright, alright alright alright".
he may simply have nothing meaningful to say at this point

Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #323
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I have a hard time buying that. The shock of the notion that he might be irrelevant, his bitter old man anger at the world, the fact that he's got a kid of his own now should inspire him to express fucking something.

I think a lot of his output from Teargarden to Monuments was largely the output of someone directionless - and badly in need of an editor. IMO Song For A Son was the only memorable thing to come out of Teargarden and that's because it was the product of someone who had family weighing on his mind - it seemed like he gave a shit about the subject matter.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #324
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

The lyrics and everything else on MTAE are very.... he knew exactly what he was doing. It’s not that he’s out of ideas it’s just the idea behind that record was inoffensive, predictable guitar pop album with Billy Corgan on vox and T LEE on drums. Ffiw I think it’s the only post real pumpkins album where he’s truly nailed what he was going for, it really is a very well put together record. Unfortunately the idea of an inoffensive, predictable guitar pop record with Billy Corgan on vox and T LEE on drums is terrible and no one wants to listen to that.

Music doesn’t necessarily have to be personal

Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #325
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

In case you haven't noticed

Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #326
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
he may simply have nothing meaningful to say at this point
With the type of writer he is, I felt the birth of his son would get his muse back and put a different kind of passion back in his writing

Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #327
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy should feel inspired for some Auggie LaLa-music.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #328
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I have a hard time buying that. The shock of the notion that he might be irrelevant, his bitter old man anger at the world, the fact that he's got a kid of his own now should inspire him to express fucking something.

I think a lot of his output from Teargarden to Monuments was largely the output of someone directionless - and badly in need of an editor. IMO Song For A Son was the only memorable thing to come out of Teargarden and that's because it was the product of someone who had family weighing on his mind - it seemed like he gave a shit about the subject matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
With the type of writer he is, I felt the birth of his son would get his muse back and put a different kind of passion back in his writing
consider however, that billy corgan was only really artistically successful in a relatively brief period of his life, and most of the music from the original SP centers on a few basic themes and motifs... overcoming your pain and your hurt and experiences of abuse, feelings of alienation, "proving oneself" (this is a huge one for Corgan).

he later tried to shift his songwriting to a different kind of thing (love, positivity, being healthy, god, spirituality) and most of the fans agree that it has sucked. Again, he might just not have anything worthwhile to say at this point, at least not that is going to be meaningful to most people who hear it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #329
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy should write now a concept album about the many pains he suffered by D'arcy.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #330
slunken
Virgo

i guarantee you he won't be able to stop himself from making some backhanded comments about her from the stage