Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #31
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Exactly.

Remember how everyone lost their shit when James just all of a sudden turned up on stage with Billy back in 2016. There were no months and months of "Me and James are talking about and negotiating a situation in where he will be allowed on stage to perform several songs under the umbrella of The Smashing Pumpkins."
But that didn't create any hype either. I remember on the following days the press was talking about Billy playing a new song live instead of them getting together for the first time in 17 years.

I think that's because the band was still active, recording and touring, besides the all the line-up changes worked as a distraction.

Billy should've stopped under the pumpkins name after Oceania (or even before it, as soon as Jimmy quit the band), so that a reunion would have a way bigger impact.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #32
bright_doom
Demi-God
 
bright_doom's Avatar
 
Location: Nowhere Fast
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
But that didn't create any hype either. I remember on the following days the press was talking about Billy playing a new song live instead of them getting together for the first time in 17 years.
I didn't mean that the super secret 2016 James Iha surprise appearance created more hype/publicity for the band, I'm saying that fans (even netphoria) were far more excited about that one night then the big grand drawn-out 2 years in the making shiny and oh so bright announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I think that's because the band was still active, recording and touring, besides the all the line-up changes worked as a distraction.

Billy should've stopped under the pumpkins name after Oceania (or even before it, as soon as Jimmy quit the band), so that a reunion would have a way bigger impact.
Well yeah, like I said, I'm sure there were plenty of people who read about this new tour and thought "The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting? Wait a minute, didn't I just see them 2 years ago "

 
bright_doom is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #33
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 30,303
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Honestly... It's as if no one gives a shit.

it literally seems like no one cares.
almost there, fuzzy.
think! you can work this out.

also, i can't believe there's another thread about this stupid tour and d'arcy. thanks a lot, fuzzy. for fuck's sake. enough already. i can't wait for this tour to be over.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster
 
wounded's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
I didn't mean that the super secret 2016 James Iha surprise appearance created more hype/publicity for the band, I'm saying that fans (even netphoria) were far more excited about that one night then the big grand drawn-out 2 years in the making shiny and oh so bright announcement.



Well yeah, like I said, I'm sure there were plenty of people who read about this new tour and thought "The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting? Wait a minute, didn't I just see them 2 years ago "
I’d agree with this as well. I think there was some excitement when the name was brought back in 2006/2007. You really only get one, “I’m Back” where the general public are going to give a shit. And back then he immediately came back with the attitude of playing all the new shit. If they had really been gone for 18 years it would be a much bigger deal. I do respect the fact he wants to create new music or what is the point of being a band, but once you become a legacy act you have to find that balance between old and new and he never really found that. Going to a pumpkins show since 2007 just seems to have the potential to be an adverse experience. The plainsong tour seemed to change that though.


anyway, I am sure they are getting a guaranteed amount of money from live nation to do do this. I know about 10 people going to the Louisville show. I’m looking forward to it.

 
wounded is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #35
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 272
Default

He blew it by faux reuniting, releasing a lot of bad music and by creating the narrative that it was always him behind the music and the other members were untalented, uninvolved, holding him back by being "negative" or "destructive".

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Apparently they will be featuring in the Guitar World Magazine soon


 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #37
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 272
Default

Thats cool. I bet the 100 or so people who buy guitar magazines will appreciate reading an article that's not about Joe Bonamassa, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Slash.

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #38
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,820
Default

Hopefully the Guitar World interview with James Iha will be as informative as the one he gave Premier Guitar during his tour with A Perfect Circle last year, where he appeared stoned out of his mind and unable to answer the most simple questions about his guitar strings, tunings, or how he holds his pick.


 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #39
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: i'm driving this starship
Posts: 6,534
Default

tbh I'd be disappointed if James acted any differently

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #40
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 272
Default

Well I dropped by one day and they played me the songs and they were definitely, very much a collection of basic chord progressions with Billy singing something about strange lovers. A girl made me a cup of coffee and she was very nice. Jeff is really nice and maybe we'll do some music together one day.

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #41
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Hopefully the Guitar World interview with James Iha will be as informative as the one he gave Premier Guitar during his tour with A Perfect Circle last year, where he appeared stoned out of his mind and unable to answer the most simple questions about his guitar strings, tunings, or how he holds his pick.


By the way, James contribution didn't make the new APC album


“James and I worked on a few things but none of which made the record. When we started getting ready for the tour, James and I talked about the possibility of him going back to the Smashing Pumpkins, and that scenario started to get more solid, so we found a temporary replacement with Greg Edwards. I can speak for Maynard and myself when I say that we find Greg’s two bands very influential to us and we respect what he’s done, plus he’s in the family and a friend, so it was an easy transition to make. I’m very happy for James that is happening.”

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster
 
WeilandFan's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,066
Default

James was a weird guy to interview, it was only 20 minutes but he was so awkward I had to edit the transcription big time. Seemed like a nice guy, but not very talkative at all.

 
WeilandFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #43
KissesandNoise
Banned
 
Location: I want a walk-in humidor!
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
He talked about D'arcy for two years, as recently as November he said on Howard Stern and Joe Rogan he was getting along great with her, and constantly talked about wanting an original lineup reunion, dating back to those Facebook videos in 2016 about being 'happy I have my friend back.'
Something happened. Something transpired that we don't know about. The Billy's-a-dick narrative is easy to peddle because he's done plenty of things to support that, but something happened. If he's so two-faced, contrived, and self-serving he would bring her back just for the reasons you underscored and treat her like shit. This decision borders on self-sabotage. The unique appearance of all four of them is striking and would stir up a little more interest. And despite what people say about her playing, she always had a strong following - maybe stronger than James. In all of those old bootlegs there is always people screaming, "D'arcy!!!" I want to know A) what happened to keep her from being back full-time and B) When he first offered to be part of it whether it be 1 song or 7 songs if he really meant it. If she did come on tour and play 5 songs and proved she could hang it could have evolved into a full-time thing.

 
KissesandNoise is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #44
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,907
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Its not just that D'arcy's missing. Its that "The Smashing Pumpkins" have been an active band for the last 10 years, so they don't have that mysterious/exciting "what is this going to be like, will billy bring his A game, will they pick up where they left off in the 90's, are we going to get another classic album?" aura about them anymore. All those hopes were flushed down the toilet years ago. The best fans can hope for is a competent live show of 90's songs, that's not very exciting. It's certainly no Twin Peaks revival.
IMHO this is why you don't see "the kids" wearing SP merch like they wear Nirvana merch. The Pumpkins' 90s icon status was traded in for a decade of Billy's bullshit.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #45
KissesandNoise
Banned
 
Location: I want a walk-in humidor!
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
James was a weird guy to interview, it was only 20 minutes but he was so awkward I had to edit the transcription big time. Seemed like a nice guy, but not very talkative at all.
But he sort of epitomizes the 90s/Gen X "I don't give a fuck" thing and I don't think it's an act. He's just awkward and funny. That was a weird part of their dynamic too. James and Jimmy didn't really give a fuck, Billy was outspoken and angsty while D'arcy kind of hovered between them. To me their music is timeless, but aesthetically they are totally 90s.

 
KissesandNoise is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster
 
WeilandFan's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
Something happened. Something transpired that we don't know about. The Billy's-a-dick narrative is easy to peddle because he's done plenty of things to support that, but something happened. If he's so two-faced, contrived, and self-serving he would bring her back just for the reasons you underscored and treat her like shit. This decision borders on self-sabotage. The unique appearance of all four of them is striking and would stir up a little more interest. And despite what people say about her playing, she always had a strong following - maybe stronger than James. In all of those old bootlegs there is always people screaming, "D'arcy!!!" I want to know A) what happened to keep her from being back full-time and B) When he first offered to be part of it whether it be 1 song or 7 songs if he really meant it. If she did come on tour and play 5 songs and proved she could hang it could have evolved into a full-time thing.
But like I've said, why wouldn't he talk about it then if 'something' happened? Unless he were to talk about it, we are simply guessing. All we have to go by when it comes to his side is what he has actually said. This is why I wish he would actually respond to the texts/what D'arcy said rather than tiptoe around it. D'arcy was about as transparent as you can get by posting those texts.

 
WeilandFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #47
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster
 
WeilandFan's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
But he sort of epitomizes the 90s/Gen X "I don't give a fuck" thing and I don't think it's an act. He's just awkward and funny. That was a weird part of their dynamic too. James and Jimmy didn't really give a fuck, Billy was outspoken and angsty while D'arcy kind of hovered between them. To me their music is timeless, but aesthetically they are totally 90s.
I actually think the reason Billy and James were able to bury the hatchet to the extent of being able to record and tour together again is because of their personalities being so vastly different. Billy and D'arcy are actually very similar in a lot of ways, very outspoken and headstrong.

 
WeilandFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #48
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 2,619
Default

https://www.facebook.com/Darcy-Wretz...3305250114536/

Does Buttcannon know, if this Darcy Wretzky-Brown account on Facebook is our D'arcy or a fake account like the Fey Wutt's on Reddit and Twitter?


 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #49
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster
 
WeilandFan's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
https://www.facebook.com/Darcy-Wretz...3305250114536/

Does Buttcannon know, if this Darcy Wretzky-Brown account on Facebook is our D'arcy or a fake account like the Fey Wutt's on Reddit and Twitter?

Not sure, will try to remember to ask next time I talk to her.

 
WeilandFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
Something happened. Something transpired that we don't know about. The Billy's-a-dick narrative is easy to peddle because he's done plenty of things to support that, but something happened. If he's so two-faced, contrived, and self-serving he would bring her back just for the reasons you underscored and treat her like shit. This decision borders on self-sabotage. The unique appearance of all four of them is striking and would stir up a little more interest. And despite what people say about her playing, she always had a strong following - maybe stronger than James. In all of those old bootlegs there is always people screaming, "D'arcy!!!" I want to know A) what happened to keep her from being back full-time and B) When he first offered to be part of it whether it be 1 song or 7 songs if he really meant it. If she did come on tour and play 5 songs and proved she could hang it could have evolved into a full-time thing.
You can't say that here. Unless you are a Corgan apologist.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 2,619
Default

...says the Corgan apologist.

Corgan hasn't been in a room with D'arcy for 19 years and thinks that Jack Bates is a better bass player. Don't you take his arguments seriously...?

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #52
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Technically Jack is better than Darcy hands down. If he's a better fit for the band is questionable tho.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #53
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster
 
WeilandFan's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Technically Jack is better than Darcy hands down. If he's a better fit for the band is questionable tho.
Eddie Vedder's technically a better singer than Billy. He should take over lead vocals.

 
WeilandFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #54
bright_doom
Demi-God
 
bright_doom's Avatar
 
Location: Nowhere Fast
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
IMHO this is why you don't see "the kids" wearing SP merch like they wear Nirvana merch. The Pumpkins' 90s icon status was traded in for a decade of Billy's bullshit.
Absolutely.

Although, I did see one of the kidz from 5 Seconds of Summer (5sos if you will) wearing a Siamese Dream album cover shirt on the interwebs somewhere. Maybe that's why they're not around anymore...

 
bright_doom is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #55
bright_doom
Demi-God
 
bright_doom's Avatar
 
Location: Nowhere Fast
Posts: 475
Default

He was probably Trying to find a MTAE shirt but Hot Topic sold out so he had to settle with SD

 
bright_doom is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #56
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Eddie Vedder's technically a better singer than Billy. He should take over lead vocals.
That's why I said we can question if Jack Bates is the best option for the band, but not if he's more skilled than D'Arcy.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #57
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 2,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Not sure, will try to remember to ask next time I talk to her.
58 people are following now that D'arcy Wretzky-Brown on Facebook.

34 people are following D'arcy on her much more valuable Disqus account.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #58
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 2,619
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Technically Jack is better than Darcy hands down. If he's a better fit for the band is questionable tho.
That needs further explanations!



Grumpy and old men shuffling "Ruby" over the stage...




Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 05-09-2018 at 03:09 AM.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #59
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: deez nuts
Posts: 1,565
Default

So does realizing that D’Arcy is drugged out beyond repair and can’t play bass anymore make you a Corgan apologist?

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #60
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 2,619
Default

Does realizing that lol wut-ninsp is f*cked out beyond repair and can’t play fair anymore make you a D'arcy apologist?

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smashing Pumpkins 'Shiny And Oh So Bright' Tour 2018 amoergosum Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 4192 Today 07:13 AM
Brendo got banned? DiscoJon General Chat Message Board 45 12-02-2015 01:55 PM
9/11/01..........9/11/11 The Omega Concern General Chat Archive 70 09-30-2011 07:28 PM
my list of songs... ChrisChiasson Pumpkins Archive 1 07-27-2007 11:38 AM
Attn: Bill wHATcOLOR Pumpkins Archive 45 01-09-2007 03:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014