jenniferkate
bitch please.

Post the death of the cassette

Unspooled
In the Digital Age, The Quaint Cassette Is Sent Reeling Into History's Dustbin

By Hank Stuever
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 29, 2002; Page C01

In 1923, Fritz Pfleumer, a chemist in Dresden, was coating thin strips of paper with magnetizing chemicals, so that he could attempt to record sound on them. Sixty years after that, a girl said, "Your music depresses me," and handed a boy back the cassette tape he had made for her on the stereo in his bedroom.

Another 20 years drift by: Someone has left a ripped Dean & DeLuca grocery bag filled with some cassette tapes, a broken telephone, three sweaters and two T-shirts on a sidewalk on Connecticut Avenue. The tapes *******, but are not limited to, Squeeze, Willie Nelson, something called "Burning '70s Disco Party," and the soundtracks to "Dances With Wolves," "Dick Tracy" and "Flashdance." There are also tapes by Rufus with Chaka Khan, Tracy Chapman, 10,000 Maniacs, Juice Newton, the Beach Boys, U2, Huey Lewis and the News, Nana Mouskouri, and three pink-and-yellow 60-minute TDK brand cassettes -- two unlabeled, and one labeled "Run." There is also a color snapshot in a plexiglass frame, of three women holding what appear to be tropical-flavored alcoholic beverages.

Between Fritz Pfleumer and the present nationwide discarding of cassette tapes, something unspools in the heart, gets tangled up in the weeds that grow along the freeway. Wearing something out by loving it too much -- fast-forwarding, rewinding, flipping, dropping, splicing, erasing. Think of the boys who used to come on to girls (or other boys) the only way they knew how.

Via the tape.

the rest at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Oct28.html

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is dumber than (1) a bag of hammers (2) a sack of wet, disoriented mice who have been concussed with hammers (3) a lobotomized Joey Lawrence.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
patrick
Minion of Satan

Angry

the mix-tape willl never die

Old 11-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by failure
the mix-tape willl never die
The Mix CD has already killed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fattening Ass : 11-04-2002 at 09:55 PM.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
THRILLHO
Apocalyptic Poster

i like tapes because you can step on them and throw them around and keep them on the floor of your car for a week and they'll still work fine. if they made CDs and minidiscs that could do that THEN tapes would be dead.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM   #5
snickerdoodles
Pledge

Thumbs up

i thought that was a pretty darned good article.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2002, 06:20 AM   #6
azvd
Ownz

Thumbs up yes!

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO
i like tapes because you can step on them and throw them around and keep them on the floor of your car for a week and they'll still work fine.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:06 AM   #7
strange_one
No Chance

poor cassettes