Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #181
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,804
Default

Their newest album, Music Complete, has some good songs but overall is pretty sterile imo

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #182
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
NovaFritz's Avatar
 
Location: luna
Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Their newest album, Music Complete, has some good songs but overall is pretty sterile imo
i don't get it



this is better than anything on Lost Sirens

Anyways, I bought a copy of Singles so I am looking forward to cruising with that. Its like Substance but updated and all 7" instead of 12" mixes. And it goes through Lost sirens

 
NovaFritz is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #183
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,804
Default

yeah that song is fine and all, but like sonically the album sounds quantized, polished & processed within an inch of its life, all but draining a lot of the charm that actually drew me to N.O. in the first place. hell, i'm an Electronic fan (for the most part) so it's not like i went in immediately thinking it would suck or something because Hook wasn't there. & it doesn't suck, i just feel like most of those songs are better served live than they are on this generally lifeless sounding, plastic (yeah yeah, track title pun) thing

i'm probably being overly harsh here because i do love a couple of tracks, but yeah i dunno it just feels like there's very little of the "human-ness" here that made so much of their past work so good

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #184
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
NovaFritz's Avatar
 
Location: luna
Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
yeah that song is fine and all, but like sonically the album sounds quantized, polished & processed within an inch of its life, all but draining a lot of the charm that actually drew me to N.O. in the first place. hell, i'm an Electronic fan (for the most part) so it's not like i went in immediately thinking it would suck or something because Hook wasn't there. & it doesn't suck, i just feel like most of those songs are better served live than they are on this generally lifeless sounding, plastic (yeah yeah, track title pun) thing

i'm probably being overly harsh here because i do love a couple of tracks, but yeah i dunno it just feels like there's very little of the "human-ness" here that made so much of their past work so good
i love the first Electronic album, the rest, meh

yeah I see what you mean, i am not a big fan of the new album that much either. I think quality control went out the window after Get Ready. Sumner's voice sounds awful live now too. this being said Lost Sirens just sounds like a bunch of songs that never should have left the demo stage

 
NovaFritz is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #185
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,804
Default

I actually like some of Twisted Tenderness (from Electronic) quite a bit

that second album sounded like they couldn't actually agree on where to go, but still has some stand-outs

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #186
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
yeah I see what you mean, i am not a big fan of the new album that much either. I think quality control went out the window after Get Ready. Sumner's voice sounds awful live now too. this being said Lost Sirens just sounds like a bunch of songs that never should have left the demo stage
I have a soft spot for Waiting for the Sirens' Call, partly because it was the first album I ever heard from them

but having read both Hooky & Sumner's books on New Order, the difference between them recording Get Ready (the "honeymoon period") and Siren's Call seems like it was pretty night & day. Bernard apparently hired a bunch of producers for Sirens' Call so they would "argue less" or something, but ultimately it seems like their differences on touring/playing live in general played a big part on the band ultimately splitting like they did

Also according to Hooky, Stephen & Gillian weren't on Get Ready at all

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #187
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
NovaFritz's Avatar
 
Location: luna
Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I have a soft spot for Waiting for the Sirens' Call, partly because it was the first album I ever heard from them

but having read both Hooky & Sumner's books on New Order, the difference between them recording Get Ready (the "honeymoon period") and Siren's Call seems like it was pretty night & day. Bernard apparently hired a bunch of producers for Sirens' Call so they would "argue less" or something, but ultimately it seems like their differences on touring/playing live in general played a big part on the band ultimately splitting like they did

Also according to Hooky, Stephen & Gillian weren't on Get Ready at all
Oh that's cool, I never read their books but am very interested in them. Stephen has his own book coming out I see. I have this DVD of them playing in 1998, the version of True Faith they play is awesome, i think it was the honeymoon b4 the honeymoon, being that they just reunited

 
NovaFritz is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Archive 38 04-17-2012 04:25 PM
PAVEMENT COVERING 1978! dean_r_koontz Pumpkins Archive 28 04-01-2012 04:43 AM
why do you guys hate me so much? Floppy Nono General Chat Archive 39 03-06-2007 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019