Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Cowlishaw
Pledge

Default New details of Corgan's altercation with Bradford Cox during 2007 tour

Quote:
On Friday night, Deerhunter performed at the Orange Peel in Asheville, North Carolina. During the show, Bradford Cox told a story about opening for the Smashing Pumpkins at the same venue in 2007. He referred to the experience as "torture camp." Find video of the story below.
Cox said that after Deerhunter's set, he grabbed a bottle of water from "this big pyramid of VOSS water". A member of the Pumpkins' crew looked at him and said, “What the fuck are you doing? This is Mr. Corgan’s water.” Cox alleges that the man grabbed and pushed him against the wall. Then-bassist Josh Fauver reportedly defended Cox by lunging at the guy.
When they arrived at the venue the next night, Cox said they were approached by a woman who told him, "Mr. Corgan will see you now." Cox says he found Corgan sitting on the stage.

They bring me out to the stage, and he says to me, “I hear you’ve been causing a lot of trouble. Do you know who you are? You’re shit. You’re a shitty little insignificant fucking indie rock band, and you were invited, not by me—who knows what fucking idiot in my management did this—but you were invited to open for the Smashing Pumpkins.”

Cox reportedly told Corgan that he was "manhandled" by the crew member, but Corgan continued to berate Cox. Cox said he peeled off his backstage pass, told Corgan "fuck you," and "slapped the little sticker, the backstage laminate pass, on his leg." Cox said that Corgan yelled "assault" and threatened legal action. Then, Cox said the Smashing Pumpkins' crew threw Moses Archuleta's drum kit down some steps, damaging them to the point where they needed to be replaced.
We've reached out to Corgan's representatives for comment.
http://pitchfork.com/news/62421-brad...pumpkins-crew/

Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"I don't think you understand...Mr. Corgan will see you NOW!"

LOL...

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/517-3.jpg

Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

you were invited to open up for -the- Smashing Pumpkins

Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Ram27
dumb

it's frightening how willing i am to believe this

shittiest part of this whole thing was throwing the drums down the stairs. I wonder if Corgan said to do that, or what

Last edited by Ram27 : 12-06-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I am curious to see if he'll mention this publicly, or just let it slide. The last time an opening band criticized the way they were treated, Corgan threw a shit-fit on Twitter/Facebook.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

wasn't the height of his asshole-ness around 2007

Old 12-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I've always considered 1994 to be the height.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

He's correct that Deerhunter sucks, but if you don't have something nice to say...

Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
it's frightening how willing i am to believe this

shittiest part of this whole thing was throwing the drums down the stairs. I wonder if Corgan said to do that, or what
>>>

http://i.imgur.com/S7rMP5r.png

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
bright_doom
Ownz

I recommend reading that whilst listening to Stumbleine.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
The Omega Concern
Banned

looks like Billy forgot some of his Rudyard Kipling along the way. If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch

Nothing common about doing a Faye Dunaway "NO WIRE HANGERS" bit over a bottle of water. If he feels no shame about this coming out now in this way, he may never get the common touch back.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Isn't the next scene after Jeff throws his guitar Billy nursing his water bottle backstage. Must have been the Zeitgeist...

Old 12-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #13
T&T
Socialphobic

Billy Corgan, keeping it classy!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Update:

Quote:
We've reached out to Corgan's representatives for comment. Update (12/6, 4:55 p.m. EST): The Smashing Pumpkins' manager has shared this statement regarding Cox's comments:
"Several eyewitnesses can attest that Cox's account is a complete fabrication, probably to get some much needed attention. He is correct about one thing, that the whole thing is on tape, and that we have a video of the encounter. Since this is intentionally slanderous, I will likely suggest we pursue charges unless a retraction is forthcoming."
Update (12/6, 9:39 p.m. EST): Bradford Cox has shared a statement regarding the incident. Read it in full, below.
Firstly, I would like to say that my intention was not to defame Billy Corgan. What I did was open my big fucking mouth and go off on one of my usual tangents. Some people call this "stage banter." I do not need, or seek any attention, and in fact was embarrassed that this ended up being uploaded to Youtube, and then considered a news story. The story I told was just a contextual rap about something that happened at the venue we were playing - 8 years ago. I will be the first to admit that there are two sides to every story and it is unfair that I gave mine without the other party being there to counter.

The thing that bothered me most about this incident was that after I got off stage I went to the bus and was reading about Scott Weiland's death (which I find very tragic) and happened upon Corgan's very moving and heartfelt tribute to his deceased friend. I do not find any humor in kicking someone while they are down. Bringing up a half-remembered interaction from so many years ago was not beneficial to anyone, especially If it causes someone who is already going through a dark moment to feel slandered or attacked. I feel very insensitive and stupid in that regard.

As far as what was said at the show, I prefaced it all by saying it was my recollection of the events. As Corgan's management has confirmed, it is all on video. I would like to avoid any further drama by just categorically retracting my statements out of respect. I respect anyone who has worked hard playing music for decades, seen their band fall apart because of things out of their control, continued to try to pursue artistic interests and had ups and downs. Perhaps I met Corgan and his crew at an especially difficult time for him. It would be completely hypocritical for me to imply that I have never been just as much of an asshole to people around me than I accused Corgan of being. Who am I to cast stones in a glass house?

I don't know Billy Corgan other than a 5 minute interaction that left a definite impression on me. I have no doubt there are many sides to his character. My statement was my recollection of the events mixed with some humor. It was meant to be taken as casual stage banter. Not defamation or slander. The easiest thing for me to do to kill this story and hopefully avoid anymore drama is to admit it now. I was tacky and I retract my statements. If the video from 2007 ever does surface I will be very interested to see how my memory matches or contradicts reality.

In all earnestness I offer Corgan my apologies and my empathy during what I imagine is a difficult time with the loss of his friend.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

In short, Bill is threatening to sue people into oblivion again. It's his modus operandi.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Several eyewitnesses can attest that Cox's account is a complete fabrication, probably to get some much needed attention. He is correct about one thing, that the whole thing is on tape, and that we have a video of the encounter."

>>>

If the singer had balls, he would have replied "Well, release the fucking tape and let's see who's lying."

Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
In short, Bill is threatening to sue people into oblivion again. It's his modus operandi.
>>>

http://assets.noisey.com/content-ima...urtney-006.jpg

Old 12-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Mr. Corgan will see you now...

http://www.boomhowdy.com/wp-content/...na-640x400.jpg

Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Since this is intentionally slanderous, I will likely suggest we pursue charges unless a retraction is forthcoming.
pumpkins camp is VERY PISSED OFF

CASH REWARDS for anyone who can find the tape

Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
Ram27
dumb

I love the difference in tone between the two statements

The Deerhunter guy wrote a very respectful four paragraph thing, retracting his statements and apologizing, and Billy just said 'fuck you, you're irrelevant, we're gonna sue you'. Which is actually exactly what he said in 2007 as per Mr. Cox

Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #21
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

thnx for the pic dogfucker. hella lulz.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anyone else disappointed to see the deer hunters just back down so thoroughly and pussifully?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
in stereo
Demi-God

I have no doubt that the original story is legit. Billy is a total piece of shit, and even more so when you consider that this happened in 2007 when he was touring to release the total turd of an album Zeitgeist.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

I wouldn't be surprised if billy includes a cause in the touring contract against defaming the tour/band/billy.

Cox is probably right, that it was intended as stage banter, not to be published as a pitchfork news story, but the idiot forgot that we're in 2015, everything is news and everything is recorded...

Old 12-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #25
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Billy was not THAT close to Weiland. I'm sure the extent of his "difficult time" at the loss of an "friend" (acquaintance really) was probably being like "aww shit that sucks". After which he thought how can I use this to make myself look good and gracious. I mean he said himself he would not pretend to know him more than he did which suggests..ya we interacted a handful of times, years ago. Also voice of a generation...with two other dead guys. Yeah thats it billy, just praise people once they're dead and they're not a competition anymore. Even when billy is not being a shit he comes off as a shit.

Cox is likely being a pussy but I'm sure Corgan has very good lawyers. If it is on tape and isn't making Corgan look bad then why wouldn't you release it? "Complete fabrication" seems pushing it a lot. I mean if you have an altercation on tape, right there that means the whole thing is NOT a COMPLETE fabrication. Maybe cox exaggerated some events but i doubt that at no point in this whole incident did Billy come across as a dick.

Adn no, as far as we know, there is not many sides to corgan's character. Just one. The one where he's a dick. That's what this line implies though "i'm sure billy corgan isn't ALWAYS a complete dickhead....right?"

Old 12-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

This is all so clearly true! Gio as the security guard, the BC Voss water obsession of the time. I wonder how many other things like this have happened

Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

my vosser!
http://i.imgur.com/xwLHKcy.jpg?1

Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #28
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

RELEASE THE TAPES BILLY!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
run2pee
Minion of Satan

He could release the tapes but how will we know they're not (Matt Walker) reimagined for 2015?

CGI and shit.

Plus, what will the dynamic range be??

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #30
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
RELEASE THE TAPES BILLY!
>>>