Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #151
The Omega Concern
Banned

Isn't it also true that Eric Avery vibed out what Jimmy Chamberlin eventually figured out; it wasn't worth it.

beyond that, Billy's put himself in a tough spot somewhat. Im less concerned about someones age, however, these times call for wisdom from someone like Billy, who used to be a leader and voice of his generation. If the whole 'he's gonna charge extra for shows to weed out the untrue fans' is accurate, then the youth he's surrounded himself with doesn't have the moxy to stand up to his foolishness and ignorance and...it's like a rudderless ship as a result.

For a guy who got a scholarship offer for academics, he's way off the beaten path of showing a political and cultural awareness you'd figure a successful 40-something would have at this stage in life; but if he's plucking bright eyed teenagers to rock out with, good luck with it.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #152
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i don't think anyone said he's been consistent with his approaches and whims
Precisely.

Although sometimes I think he feels that being super artsy-fartsy in how he dresses himself will eventually do him some good. Maybe all he needs is a teenager behind the drums. Yeah...

Old 06-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #153
Kahlo

I want a "Bam Bam" crowd chant from the 3 people who will be going to SP concerts in future. Someone hunt down Davin and Monte for me.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #154
Starla

whatever happened to Tila's baby?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #155
Mo
Immortal

Oh Lord, she was pregnant?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #156
Musica
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
whatever happened to Tila's baby?
Wasn't that her another publicity stunt like she had cried like a baby she gonna kill herself?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #157
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Exclamation

You've seen a baby threaten to kill itself?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #158
hnibos
Braindead

eric avery didnt join because he didnt want to tour and probably didnt want to play shitty 7 shades of black every night

Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #159
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

hey

Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #160
Musica
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You've seen a A threaten to kill itself?
Haha. Sorry, I think my explanation was bad.
She has been posted like, 'she's gonna kill herself' 'she is dating with a A-list celeb' 'she got pregnant' bla bla... everytime she deleted it quickly later and said its a joke, someone hacked her account, or her alter ego posted it, bla bla bla... so it seems all of those stuff are her publicity stunt, and I think overall it works for her to get money.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #161
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica View Post
and I think overall it works for her to get attention.
fixed

Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #162
c_wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish08 View Post
I hope A get booed to death during Mike Byrne's first show. A this kid and fuck Billy for pissing Jimmy off.

WELL I HOPE: pricks like YOU dont show up at the new pumpkin shows later to do all that "booing" you speak of.. Anyone on this board that knows shit about musicianship knows that Mike Byrne is a fucking excellent drummer and WAAY beyond his years in talent and diversity.

Dont knock this kid just cuz he's 19. Who gives a fuck? He is being given the chance of a lifetime to play with a very successful rockband since the 90's, so while you guys are all sitting at home on this stupid message board playing guitar hero and whining- THAT motherfucker is jamming and practicing non-stop with Billy Corgan..

I dont know why the fuck you idiots think that Billy is trying to "piss poor ol' Jimmy" off when there is no bad blood whatsoever. I assure you that they will still make music together as friends AND musicians wether it be for a movie soundtracks or other bands..

You people on here are worse than british fucking tabloids with all the stupid rumors and assumptions. We wont always all agree on everything Billy does or says in his dumb little Twitter posts but the whole reason we even have user accounts on this fucking website is because WE KNOW that Billy is at least a great song writer and musician right???

Why assume that Billy and Jimmy just had an "arguement" of some kind and that he left the band?? After everything they have been through together I would say they are most likely much more mature and stronger as friends..

My opinion is that I would have liked to have seen Matt Walker step into Jimmy's shoes and progress with the Smashing Pumpkins but Matt is currently busy with the MDR project. Aside from that, Mike Byrne is an excellent drummer and I think after he jams with Billy for awhile he will only get better! Good luck to em, and I'm sure as hell happy for him!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #163
Kahlo

tl;dr

Old 06-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #164
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_wilson View Post
WELL I HOPE: pricks like YOU dont show up at the new pumpkin shows later to do all that "booing" you speak of.. Anyone on this board that knows shit about musicianship knows that Mike Byrne is a fucking excellent drummer and WAAY beyond his years in talent and diversity.

problem with this argument is that he really isn't that excellent of a drummer. I know a handful of 19-25 year olds that i've gone to school/gigged with who are much stronger musicians than this kid.

go to that if all goes wrong DVD and watch the performances of BSBT, Superchrist, Gossamer.. watch jimmy close. and i mean CLOSE. play attention to his musician ship, he detailed and fine tuned ear to playing the perfect parts at the perfect moments. he's the only thing that gave the new SP any sort of musical legitimacy (later on, say aorund august 08, the rest of the band really started to gel together).. yeah mike byrne, good fucking luck dude.

hell even that terrible band someone posted a few posts up w/ jimmy drumming in his early 20's show's more promise and development than this kid possesses. jimmy already had that musical flare going that made him such a great asset to fantastic songwriting. this kid? listen to this band: The Mercury Tree on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

sure, he's not a bad drummer, he's pretty good, but good for a standard 20 year old rock drummer. nothing in his drumming propelled the tunes to that next level. that was jimmy's strong point, and there are very FEW drummers like him.

and my other beef? the kid's playing takes after jimmy, you can hear it all over. so billy wanted to hire an imitation jimmy to try and capture that 'sound' that made SP a hit. uh.. what happened to the idea of creating something new and different? why not pick a drummer who was the complete OPPOSITE of jimmy as far as playing approach is concerned? all i can hear coming from the new SP, given their track record of released material in the past year, and seeing how this kid plays, is cheap ass rock.

but ive gone to far with this.. now im making assumptions that could potentially be proven wrong, but i still stand by my opinion that this kid lacks musicianship on the level of a band who has developed it's sound over the past 20 years, thanks in large part to an incredibly talented drummer/musician.

we are going to hear a huge, huge difference in his absence, no question about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #165
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_wilson View Post
WELL I HOPE: pricks like YOU dont show up at the new pumpkin shows later to do all that "booing" you speak of..

please stop talking. i really don't see the pumpkins to tour out of the stables for another couple years anyway and by that time we'll have an entirely new lineup. hell, darcy and jimmy will prolly be back by then.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #166
croPUMPKINS
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
please stop talking. i really don't see the A to tour out of the stables for another couple years anyway and by that time we'll have an entirely new lineup. hell, darcy and jimmy will prolly be back by then.
I agree... when Jimmy left I started a similar thread saying that but it got ruined by idiots...

Jimmy has gonne through much too much with Billy to leave just like that after so many great gigs 07-08, true, only they know the reason behind the departure, but my guess it ain't so bad that it can't be ironed out in a year or two.

perhaps it is because he simply had too much of of Bill and needed a break.

honestly, who can play Gossamer, USA or SC after Jimmy???

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #167
Hypocaust
Fucking up since '01

With c_wilson + croPUMPKINS contributing, this thread is bound to go places!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #168
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by croPUMPKINS View Post
I agree... when Jimmy left I started a similar thread saying that but it got ruined by idiots...

Jimmy has gonne through much too much with Billy to leave just like that after so many great gigs 07-08, true, only they know the reason behind the departure, but my guess it ain't so bad that it can't be ironed out in a year or two.

perhaps it is because he simply had too much of of Bill and needed a break.

honestly, who can play Gossamer, USA or SC after Jimmy???
hopefully they'll never play United States or Superchrist again

Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #169
slunken
Virgo

well you know if mikey does get to play live then they'll finally bust out geek usa.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #170
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
hopefully they'll never play United States or Superchrist again

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #171
pyrocus
Demi-God

There is absolutely no way that I can go back to liking this band now that Chamberlin is gone. Billy and Jimmy TOGETHER are the Smashing Pumpkins; not Billy himself. The songwriting will suffer because the powerful and passionate percussion dynamic is not present anymore. Byrne may be good, just he's just not good enough (or seasoned enough) to replace Chamberlin.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #172
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

C Wilson is such a tool.
He didn't even know who in the hell this kid was until a couple of weeks ago and now, just because of his association with SP, he has all of the sudden become one of the most hot shit drummers in the music world...

Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #173
slunken
Virgo

my only problem is that such a big deal shouldn't have been made about it. if they were going on tour and announcing this kid is the new touring drummer - sure. but that's not the case. was there a big hullabaloo about who was playing drums during the recording sessions of adore? kinda but certainly not like this (another reason why current media fascination is bull). if this kid is just there to record that's fine i don't give a fuck. i don't have to look at him and technically his drums can be cut up and sampled into infinity. by the time they tour - which is hopefully a long way away (but then again its not unlike billy to tour with only a couple new songs under his belt) - hopefully they realize it's not going to cut the mustard and will recruit an arsenal of drummers. i personally loved the adore-era percussion. not to mention kenny aranoff is a lolfest.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #174
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9...andmikeko3.jpg

Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #175
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
my only problem is that such a big deal shouldn't have been made about it. if they were going on tour and announcing this kid is the new touring drummer - sure. but that's not the case. was there a big hullabaloo about who was playing drums during the recording sessions of adore? kinda but certainly not like this (another reason why current media fascination is bull). if this kid is just there to record that's fine i don't give a fuck. i don't have to look at him and technically his drums can be cut up and sampled into infinity. by the time they tour - which is hopefully a long way away (but then again its not unlike billy to tour with only a couple new songs under his belt) - hopefully they realize it's not going to cut the mustard and will recruit an arsenal of drummers.
Why don't we at least wait until we've heard the kid drum on an SP song before we decide he can't cut the mustard? I don't understand the venom here. Yes, the kid is not Jimmy Chamberlin. There's not another Jimmy Chamberlin. There's not anybody even close. But Billy has done just fine with other drummers in the past.
If Byrne has no chops and no chemistry with the band after a couple months worth of shows, then sure, judge away. But no one's got anything to go on right now that says Byrne can't be a perfectly fine drummer for this band, live or otherwise.

Actually, I'd just as soon have Billy get this new incarnation of the band on the road ASAP.

Quote:
i personally loved the adore-era percussion. not to mention kenny aranoff is a lolfest.
The Adore-era live setup was overrated and did more to highlight Jimmy's absence than it did to make up for it.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #176
slunken
Virgo

because, as history of the band has shown, who the band members are and what happens in the studio are two entirely different things. so did he hire this kid to record or did he hire the kid to tour? if he was hired to tour i think they shot the gun too soon because i really don't think they're (or at least they better not be) anywhere close to touring.

edit: see now i'd call the JCC over-rated but adore-era live was pretty special/magical/cool. at least IMO. i don't think they were trying to "make up for it" but embrace the fact that he's not there and use that opportunity to do something special.

also i agree my part about "not cutting the mustard" was highly speculative

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #177
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I want a "Bam Bam" crowd chant from the 3 people who will be going to SP concerts in future. Someone hunt down Davin and Monte for me.
would you prefer the creepy old molestor in the back, like Tinted Windows?

srsly, i don't really give a fuck who is on that stool as long as they can play. they're never gonna come close to JC in skill or musical relationship with billy, so whatever. no use comparing.

what strikes me as odd is how most media outlets made a bigger deal about james and darcy, compared to jimmy leaving. maybe because SP lineup bitching is was so 2007. but then again, most casual fans seem to site the MCIS tour as the band's best, despite the SHORT setlists and lack of JC....so I'm not quite sure. dude is severely underappreciated and i'm sure that contributed to one of the reasons he left. i mean, he gave the studio performance of his life on Z, and no one really cared. anyway, point is, i don't sense people see this as that big of a deal...other than the whole band name thing.

so while it fucking kills me to lose JC all over again, all i can do is be glad BC is actually looking for drummers regardess of shape or size or age....cuz i prefer that to him looking into synth alternatives instead.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #178
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
Isn't it also true that Eric Avery vibed out what Jimmy Chamberlin eventually figured out; it wasn't worth it.
no.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #179
c_wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
C Wilson is such a tool.
He didn't even know who in the hell this kid was until a couple of weeks ago and now, just because of his association with SP, he has all of the sudden become one of the most hot shit drummers in the music world...

I never said he was the most hotshit drummer in the music you dumb fuck, i just said from what I had seen he was an excellent drummer especially for his age, and SURELY of all the drummers that Billy knows, this kid must have some sort of sparkle in Billys eyes that would make him even consider him. But I'm sure the only guitars or drums you know about are the playstation ones for all those stupid fucking video games so what would you know anyway?

I even ended my statement with my own opinion that I had wished Matt Walker would have just taken Jimmy's place. The experience was already there, and Matt sounded the best with Billy during the MCIS tour AND the Future Embrace tour..

Why does this kids age even have to be an issue? Why has my profile picture been photoshoped by countless graphic design drop-outs who have nothing intelligent or positive to reply with??

Who the fuck knows but I hope this kid blows all our minds and I'll remind you assholes once more, that while YOU are at home bitching and whining about Corgan's twitter posts and talking shit about the drummer, THAT lucky son of a bitch is jamming with Billy and playing all the songs WE love..None of you fucks on here that are bitching about Mike Byrne know shit about musicianship. . Sure he's not the best, but I have a good feeling that after getting comfortable with everyone he will achieve alot of props..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #180
slunken
Virgo

wait for it...