Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Effloresce
Banned

Default PS3 now $429 and with HDMI

Quote:
7:25: Now a question on the price. Kutaragi says the Japanese media and retailers have complained about the cost of the system. He then confirms that the price for the 20 gig model in Japan will, including tax, now be below 50,000 yen ($427). This model will ******* [HAVE] the HDMI port. He doesn't give the exact price.
Working on a source right now.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

It's a good strategy to initially propose a ridiculously high cost and then lower it a bit, it seems reasonable by comparison even when it's not.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Effloresce
Banned

Well $600 is ridiculous for a game console, I'm sorry.

I was about ready to call the thing PS3DO, but then they pull this one out.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Effloresce
Banned

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734010p1.html

Old 09-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
Well $600 is ridiculous for a game console, I'm sorry.

I was about ready to call the thing PS3DO, but then they pull this one out.
I'm not about to pay $600 for a toy trying to be a replacement for a PC.

lol at the 3DO remark.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Effloresce
Banned

hehe.

But, you won't have to pay $600. IGN also quotes him as saying 50,000 yen which is $429 USD.

I highly doubt that North Americans will pay MORE than that for their core packs. In fact I am going to predict that it will launch at $399 here. Japan always pays a little more.

All territories will still have a $600 model, the only difference now being WiFi, a bigger hard drive and card readers. I think it was a no-brainer to give both models HDMI.

I'm definitely getting the core pack. Who needs card readers when I can save my games to a hard drive? And even if I did, I can buy a cheap USB universal card reader for like $10 from sites like newegg. Same deal for upgrading the hard drive, except it'll be a lot more than $10 obviously.

WiFi isn't in the $429 model as far as I know, but once again, you can just buy a cheaper third party brand.

That's the cool thing about PS3, it's like a PC in that you CAN upgrade it with your own customized stuff -- WiFi, hdd, and card readers at least. Not to mention you can buy all three of these things for your core pack and still not break $600, so you actually SAVE money this way.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

I read a while ago that developers were wary of even making games for it with that pricetag, and figured they'd HAVE to lower it or lose developers. This is cool news but I still wouldn't buy it at launch. Is Tony Hawk 8 coming to PS2 also?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Question

Quote:
Japan always pays a little more.
Didn't the wii pricing announcement have japan being cheaper than north america?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

i bet nintendo regrets putting the $250 price tag on wii right now (they really should've went with $200, imo)

250 bucks looked great next to a 600 dollar console but now not so much. i mean its only 50 bucks more than the 360.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

I think $250 still looks pretty good compared to $430.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
Effloresce
Banned

holy shit motorstorm http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/7...d_1678827.html

that's sick

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

yeah but sony's a real force to be reckoned with in the gaming industry today. nintendo really needs to pull out all the stops here ...

but then again the wii is so different, price may not be a deciding factor for alot of consumers bent on buying a console

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
Effloresce
Banned

Randall Sandell: Makes me wonder if this was part of the strategy. Before Sony dropped the $600 bomb, people joked and said the $400 360 pricetag was insane, and that MS would get their ass kicked when Sony launched at $299. Well, that didn't happen, and Sony instead said $500-600. Now that they have dropped the price to $400-430, they kinda softened the blow. And NOW people will be inclined to say "oh, $429 for PS3 with HDMI, I'll get me one of those." But if they did this initially, people would have said "360 is the same price, what's the big deal?"

Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

what do PS3 and Xbox 360 bring to the table besides improved graphics

Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

I've read that one strategy Nintendo is going for is having people buy wii and then one other console, because wii is so unique and cheap they think people will be buying it in addition to a next-er gen system. I know I will be buying a wii and I want ps3 in the future. So that's my response to what Randall said.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid_love
what do PS3 and Xbox 360 bring to the table besides improved graphics
Well the pS3 has a shitty rumble-less controller for one thing. They should make it compatible with the N64 rumble pak.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
Orchestra
Minion of Satan

Nintendo have the strongest system from a buisness stand point based on the fact that theres A:never been anything like it before B:its the cheapest of the three and C: They're making money out of the box.

PS3 is horridly far to expensive. People will still buy it though. Which is sad.
Mostly the little pervert rpg anime kids that want to jerk to the American made, japanese art insipired rpgs though.

Poor online support(yuk on friend codes) will probably fuck them both, thats where the 360 dominates.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #18
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

I just can't understand people purchasing either of these consoles, or a gamecube for that matter. It's the reason I skipped out the entire 6th generation of consoles. I don't give a shit about better graphics if the console can't do anything different and the games all fucking suck.

I'm really excited for the Wii, hopefully it kicks ass.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Orchestra
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

And every tony hawk game is the exact fucking same, the whole serious makes me sick. Every sequal is like a fucking map pack.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #20
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

I love the tony hawk games. It's perfect so I don't really care if they're like map packs. Except you're exaggerating, they add new features each time, not always major but they do improve with each game. 8 is going to be a major shift from what I've read. They're rebuilding it from the ground up. I will buy Tony Hawk downhill for Wii, looks cool.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #21
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

Quote:
Randall Sandell: Makes me wonder if this was part of the strategy. Before Sony dropped the $600 bomb, people joked and said the $400 360 pricetag was insane, and that MS would get their ass kicked when Sony launched at $299. Well, that didn't happen, and Sony instead said $500-600. Now that they have dropped the price to $400-430, they kinda softened the blow. And NOW people will be inclined to say "oh, $429 for PS3 with HDMI, I'll get me one of those." But if they did this initially, people would have said "360 is the same price, what's the big deal?"
that's what i've been wondering

if sony's been planning it all from the get-go then they've got very smart people running gaming division

Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #22
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

I bet the wii won't use friend codes. They have that whole slick interface, I think you'll have an area with all your friends and you can just call them up or whatever.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #23
Effloresce
Banned

Okay, sorry to confuse you, but I'm now confused myself.

SCEA (Sony's American division) said that the $429 pricetag for HDMI and Core Pack was for SCEJ only (Sony's Japanese division). The pricing as of right now is the same for the US and Europe, but the core pack WILL have HDMI across the board, a plus.

So... nothing has changed for us, except that the core pack is $500 with HDMI.

The tables have turned. Before, even with PS2, we payed less than Japan. Now it's the opposite. I guess Sony figures they have North America by the balls for 2006. Because the core pack is $429 in Japan, it shows that Sony can drop the price of the console whenever they want to, but not after milking some extra money out of huge audiences in the US and Europe.

Or it could mean that SCEA can't comment because price plans are now not finalized anymore and won't be able to really say anything until later on.

This is so damn confusing. I'll update as soon as SCEA flat out confirms something in the next couple days, but the cheapest models in any territory WILL have HDMI.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #24
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

im sure the US price will drop too

Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #25
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

If Sony had just gone with DVD we would have had the PS3 a year ago for $300.

I'm exaggerating, but still...

Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #26
danondorf
Ownz

Well if it's going to be $429 in Japan, and $399 is US; then Sony has definately brought PS3 back from it's destined demise. If it really is going to be this price, I may get one just for some games (Tekken 6, MGS4, FF XIII, Sonic); but I won't get one at launch. I just reserved Zelda TP for Wii at EB Games; they told me that by reserving a game for the Wii they would also call as soon as they are taking reservations for the system.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #27
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

The bitches, when I called EB to try preordering wii he just laughed and said they aren't taking preorders. But he never offered to call me.

Let me know when they call, it'll probably be the same as in Canada.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #28
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead
If Sony had just gone with DVD we would have had the PS3 a year ago for $300.

I'm exaggerating, but still...
People hate on BR-ROM now, but I think in the long run it will prove to be useful because of the fact that it has extra capacity. Remember, Oblivion devs already said they had to water down a lot of the textures so they could fit on a DVD-9.

That said, I also wish Sony would have used HD-DVD instead. It's cheaper. It would've also been nice if 360 used HD-DVD by default so all games can use it.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 PM   #29
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Deads just complaining because its going to be harder, if not impossible, for him to pirate the ps3 games. Poor dead.

Also, I put him on ignore for this thread and basically, besides randalls earlier post, the conversation doesn't miss him at all. Everyone basically ignores anything he says.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #30
Effloresce
Banned

heh