Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #301
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Jimmy waved at me before Disarm

That was the wonkiest SP gig I've been to [out of 3]. Little to no banter. Set was heavy and short. I wasn't, like, amazingly excited for any song. They trotted out the hits, but not the nerd hits, if that makes sense. So it was just kinda....eh. BSBT as a deep cut.... why??? If you want a chill song to recover that no one knows....Towers of Rabble....Rotten Apples....Cupid.....Crush...Luna....Try alt M2 version....WPC pls
Wonkiest means I can stop regretting that I didn't make it, correct. So they go with a fully static setlist for this tour - again?
How was the crowd? Did they manage to fill at least the seats?

Old 08-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #302
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
So they go with a fully static setlist for this tour - again?

>>>

Old 08-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #303
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Ah, makes sense, I had no idea. He must be referring to the 90s then, as that's the only decade they played as SP. Unlike thousands of other people, I had no access to the SP social media outlets back then to complain about setlists, what did they use, AIM?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #304
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Wonkiest means I can stop regretting that I didn't make it, correct. So they go with a fully static setlist for this tour - again?
I was at the concert. Way more people than I thought. Seats were 90% and lawn probably 2/3rds full.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #305
pavementtune

Nice, that's way more than I expected.
Maybe tickets going down 75 percent helped to change some people's mind, 20 bucks to see 3 bands at Tinley is really cheap.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #306
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
yep to both first sentences. i didn't really notice the crowd - i was literally the front row. people around me were dancing, notably cheered for 1979. the back sections were sparse even for gallagher - i came late to miss all that, i recognized one song [wonderwall? or something about noticing a romantic partner?]

the static set is garbage for the second reunion tour. i get the big arena sellout broadway lights thing for the first one last year, but fuck. and no i will not pay $500 for you to run through jellybelly a few times. [honestly, seeing a few fuckups live is even more fun tbh and fitting with the uberfan deep cut vibe]

my insta is basically just notice me senpai jimmy at this point:

View this post on Instagram

yas queen

A post shared by Ram Dent (@ramdent2) on

Old 08-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #307
Ram27
dumb

i'm off work until monday and in chitown until tomorrow/sunday if i try to book an extra day. dunno what to do - already been to vic's drum shop, chicago music exchange, and obv metro. also pizzeria uno and home run inn and wrigley. mom suggests field museum.

both cubs and sox are out of town, also bears. which is annoying, never been to a CHW game

Old 08-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #308
Ram27
dumb

that is off topic but the tour is lame, so...

it's the most i've spent on a concert ticket and 2nd closest i've been [closest was at an indie show in champagne-urbana, 2 ft from the singer].

in terms of SP gigs, i think

1. Fall 2018 @ Aragon
2. Aug 2019 @ Tinley Park
3. Aug 2018 @ Indy

it was kinda a relief having a short set [tho the choices were mainly shite]. the thing that doesn't translate with bootlegs is that shit like 35 min silverfucks are exhausting at the end of a long day, you're sweaty and tired, have to worry about getting to the car &c &c

Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #309
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Maybe tickets going down 75 percent helped to change some people's mind, 20 bucks to see 3 bands at Tinley is really cheap.
I would have thought there would have been more Oasis fans tbh. I was never really into them, but they had a significant contribution to the 90s. Think I only saw one person with an AFI shirt also.

Paid 100 each for 2 tickets a day before the show in row N of 103 which was center stage. No idea how much they were going for when the concert went on sale but they defiantly were marked down. That whole place is absolutely huge though. Way way bigger than your typical amphitheater. You don't know until you have been there.

It was loud and I thought the band was very good which I know is a difference in opinion from Ram. That's ok. I don't care if the setlist is the same as I can't go to multiple concerts anyway. I do agree though that it would be nice to hear more deep cuts. It is what it is though. Not gonna complain, I had a good time.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #310
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I would have thought there would have been more Oasis fans tbh. I was never really into them, but they had a significant contribution to the 90s. Think I only saw one person with an AFI shirt also.

Paid 100 each for 2 tickets a day before the show in row N of 103 which was center stage. No idea how much they were going for when the concert went on sale but they defiantly were marked down. That whole place is absolutely huge though. Way way bigger than your typical amphitheater. You don't know until you have been there.

It was loud and I thought the band was very good which I know is a difference in opinion from Ram. That's ok. I don't care if the setlist is the same as I can't go to multiple concerts anyway. I do agree though that it would be nice to hear more deep cuts. It is what it is though. Not gonna complain, I had a good time.
Oh I'm not complaining, I knew this set would be the same as it was in Europe, I still wanted to hear it a second time. I was just wondering if they do switch it up at least a bit. I don't know if these fans don't exist any more, but on previous tours, people were trying to catch 2 if not 3 gigs, and that was without JC and Iha back. Then it's nice to have at least a song or two different you don't expect. I would have skipped AFI (had I made it at all!) and Gallagher, even though I was into Oasis back then. But I've only ever seen Oasis live and neither of the brothers solo, and I intend to keep it that way. Oasis was nice for what it was, but brit pop is nothing that survived over 20 years for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i'm off work until monday and in chitown until tomorrow/sunday if i try to book an extra day. dunno what to do - already been to vic's drum shop, chicago music exchange, and obv metro. also pizzeria uno and home run inn and wrigley. mom suggests field museum.

both cubs and sox are out of town, also bears. which is annoying, never been to a CHW game
air show this weekend, duh! try North Ave. Beach, apparently that's a good spot for it, gonna see it for the first time myself. also big yes to field museum, plus art institute, art institute alone is half a day easily.

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-16-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #311
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Such a shit venue in a shit location though. Or maybe it’s mostly just the location.

Saw a v good HTTT Radiohead show there. And the jamboree when zwan was there. And warped tour once lol.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #312
Eulogy
huh

Like it’s friday afternoon so it’s probably worse than usual but right now it’s saying it would be an 80 minute drive. No thanks.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #313
Ram27
dumb

I went to Devon St for Indian food and it seems like a fucking 3 hour drive back to my hotel. I don't know if the guy's being shitty cause I fell asleep or what but Jesus

Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #314
fuzzyroes
Banned

I actually kinda dig it. Looks pretty cool

Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #315
spumpernickel
Amish Rake Fighter

ram i saw you in the front row with your netphoria shirt lol. at least i think it was you. seeing the setlist prior i thought it looked boring, but it was better in person. in general i feel like the band sounds a lot better live these days than it comes across on videos and recordings, for whatever reason.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:25 AM   #316
Ram27
dumb

hahaaa i don't think anyone else was wearing a netpho shirt!

set was way better in person, esp (!) the SP2.0 stuff since I didn't have hours of old bootlegs to compare to

Old 08-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #317
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

hey show us the shirt ram! this is the best thing i've heard of in ages.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #318
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, that's sweet Ram. Good on ya for reppin' the good guys

Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #319
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
hey show us the shirt ram! this is the best thing i've heard of in ages.
Yeah!!! This sounds awesome

Were you visible to Billy, Ram?!!?

Old 08-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #320
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I actually kinda dig it. Looks pretty cool
It looks freaking awesome! It's like a surreal art deco child's toy.

Gotta hand it to Linda for this stuff tbh. Pillbox was visually awesome as well.

I think this style suits Machina more than the original art, so I would be on board for her to revise it if it's in this vein.

BTW JIMMY'S HAIR LOOKS BASICALLY THE SAME. He's in his mid-50s ffs.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #321
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
It looks freaking awesome!

Tony Williams was one of Jimmy's major influences:

Here's his yellow Gretsch set:

Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #322
Ram27
dumb

So yeah Jimmy waved to me and I'm lowkey still floating

Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #323
Ram27
dumb

that's not a euphemism

Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #324
inkless
Ownz

same setlist its boring for the fan it's boring for the traveling fan
but it makes less concert in the walkman...

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #325
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #326
fuzzyroes
Banned

There's a nice little collectible for Clay Tuckett to buy

Old 08-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #327
fuzzyroes
Banned

What the hell is Fieldy wearing

Old 08-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #328
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
>>>

sometimes he really does sound just like donald trump

Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #329
fuzzyroes
Banned

They really do have similar personality types. Even Matt Sweeney was pointing it out in a interview a few years ago.

One of the main things I notice is that they both always hype up some idea to no end before they've even started or completed the idea. I feel like it's a mechanism that lazy people use in order to get started. Sort of to put the idea out there in order to force yourself to follow through.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #330
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I get so few complaints, almost none! I'm telling you I get the least complaints of anyone ever. Zero complaints.