Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #121
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: before recorded time, in some suburban room
Posts: 35,221
Talking

what's the problem with Mitt Romney?

ROMNEY SUCKS!

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #122
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
"I personally draw a distinction between endorsement, endorsing a candidate, and voting for them. I have not yet endorsed Vice President Biden, but I will be voting for him in November."
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

ďDo we be as active as we can in electing Joe Biden and doing everything we can to move Joe and his campaign in a more progressive direction? Or do we choose to sit it out and allow the most dangerous president in modern American history to get reelected? I believe that itís irresponsible for anybody to say, ĎWell, I disagree with Joe Biden -- I disagree with Joe Biden! -- and therefore Iím not going to be involved.íĒ
- Bernie Sanders

Go convince your own heroes that they're wrong, Squish Squash. Fly directly in the face of the advice of your ideal presidents.
Neither Bernie or AOC are my heroes. They are both pretty far to the right of me, actually. I will support them because they are as far to the left as it gets in Washington and their policies at least begin to address the problems of American society.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #123
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Is there any good evidence to believe that four more years of Trump will necessarily result in a pendulum swing to progressivism after his second term, and is it any more than a guess that this is much more likely than four more years of Trump simply further entrenching and perpetuating the far-right in American politics?
All I’m saying is it is a losing strategy to keep running establishment shills against the new populist right. If Biden wins because Trump was enough of a moron to hand him the election on a silver platter due to his inept handling of the pandemic, Kamala will get eviscerated by Tucker Carlson or Josh Hawley in 2024 and you will all once again blame people like me instead of realizing the real problems.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #124
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Those are the common reasons proponents of presidential systems give for preferring them over a parliamentary system. I personally think either can work or become broken.
Solid stuff on both topics, thank you.

The only thing I was less comfortable with in the first section was the idea that a presidential system congressperson is free to buck the party while their parliamentary equivalent must toe the line, though mostly because of what we're currently seeing from one party in the United States (and you did say that "either can work or become broken"). If we persisted along those lines, I would probably go on to suggest that criticism not proffered by those intimidated parliamentary backbenchers would still come from minor parties not meaningfully represented at all within the legislative branch of the United States. Politicians inclined to criticize the two major parties are often those that compose the minor alternatives in any case, giving voters alternatives to vote for without those votes necessarily being wasted (depending on the circumstances). It's a shame that it's all irrelevant.

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #125
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Neither Bernie or AOC are my heroes. They are both pretty far to the right of me, actually. I will support them because they are as far to the left as it gets in Washington and their policies at least begin to address the problems of American society.
Who is as far to the left as it gets out of the only two options in the upcoming presidential election?

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #126
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,430
Default

I'm going to support Bernie and Ocasio-Cortez because they are as far to the left as it gets in Washington and their policies at least begin to address the problems of American society, but I'm not going to follow their example or their advice. I will go against them completely when it comes to the single most important political event of the last several years.

Clever.

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #127
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 21,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
no it's some meme thing but i don't remember the original thing
wasn't it a post in here from 2012. Keep Obama in president

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #128
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I'm going to support Bernie and Ocasio-Cortez because they are as far to the left as it gets in Washington and their policies at least begin to address the problems of American society, but I'm not going to follow their example or their advice. I will go against them completely when it comes to the single most important political event of the last several years.

Clever.
Bernie and AOC might not be anywhere near as left as I would like, but they are at least ON the left. Biden is on the right and you know nothing if you think he will do ANYTHING to address the core issues of our nation. Stop demanding a socialist vote for a right winger.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #129
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,430
Default

Do you believe Biden/Harris to be right of Trump/Pence?

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #130
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,430
Default

Quiet, everybody. We must lay in wait for Squish Squash to dodge another direct question and just keep repeating the same dense shit we know them for without reasoning or supporting evidence.

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #131
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 21,637
Default

I was a DSA organizer in college. Squish reminds me of the Spartacist League on campus that used to heckle me and tell me that I was responsible for Trotsky's murder.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #132
LaBelle
Socialphobic
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: Away
Posts: 10,994
Default

Incidentally we are all partially responsible for trotskilicious's (figurative) murder.

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #133
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 21,637
Default

Rest in Piss, Trots


via GIPHY


 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #134
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,643
Default

This is why shitposting is the only point of Netphoria. There is zero worthwhile discussion when people just want to stomp their feet and have bad faith arguments with no direction or purpose. “I’m just here to complain about everything” is so tired and inappropriate when a fascist president is committing genocide in America.

 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #135
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: FlamingGlobes and FoolofaTook are both on my ignore list, and honestly, I love it.
Posts: 35,331
Lightbulb

ok but how do i do this "shitposting" you speak of?

could you give me some tips? (no dad jokes pls)

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #136
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
This is why shitposting is the only point of Netphoria. There is zero worthwhile discussion when people just want to stomp their feet and have bad faith arguments with no direction or purpose. ďIím just here to complain about everythingĒ is so tired and inappropriate when a fascist president is committing genocide in America.
Trump is not committing genocide in America, unless you are willing to claim every other president who didnít push for universal healthcare was also committing genocide. If you are willing to do so, Iíll admit you have a point, but I doubt you will, seeing as you think electing the likes of Joe Biden is going to solve anything. I was literally making the same arguments as you guys in 2016, so Iím quite familiar with this line of thinking. Eventually I just couldnít keep defending the Democratic Party. They are not your friend. Just because they are less evil than the republicans doesnít change the fact that they are evil.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #137
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I was a DSA organizer in college. Squish reminds me of the Spartacist League on campus that used to heckle me and tell me that I was responsible for Trotsky's murder.
I’m not a fan of Trotsky, he slaughtered anarchists. He was better than Stalin though, but that’s not saying much. I wouldn’t have heckled you either, I’m pretty mild mannered in public.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #138
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
could you give me some tips? (no dad jokes pls)
Literally impossible.

 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #139
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 31,976
Default

Squish squash is a lot like 18 year old me in my political ideologies class, but even then I was smart enough to understand electoral politics and know Obama > McCain

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #140
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Squish squash is a lot like 18 year old me in my political ideologies class, but even then I was smart enough to understand electoral politics and know Obama > McCain
Are you incapable of not being a condescending ass? This is like talking to Billy.

Iím aware that Biden is better than Trump domestically, but I also understand we shouldnít keep supporting the two party system. You somehow think continuing to vote for people who wonít even give us healthcare is going to bring about any change.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #141
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 31,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
All Iím saying is it is a losing strategy to keep running establishment shills against the new populist right. If Biden wins because Trump was enough of a moron to hand him the election on a silver platter due to his inept handling of the pandemic, Kamala will get eviscerated by Tucker Carlson or Josh Hawley in 2024 and you will all once again blame people like me instead of realizing the real problems.
Seriously guy stop getting your news from Facebook. People like you think you have some kind of spoiler power electorally but no one else here is under that delusion because we arenít a mile deep in the Bernie Sanders echo chamber. Leftists who stay home are not a powerful voting bloc and there arenít that many of you. You seem to have tunnel vision about politics and you keep bringing everything back to you, which actually explains a lot

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #142
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 31,976
Default

And no, it’s not magical thinking to believe less people will suffer under Biden. His record is there to evidence it. It is however magical thinking that you will get your way in 2024 if you let people suffer and die now

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #143
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
And no, itís not magical thinking to believe less people will suffer under Biden. His record is there to evidence it. It is however magical thinking that you will get your way in 2024 if you let people suffer and die now
You would be telling me to vote for Voldemort if he was running against Palpatine because ďwell less people will dieĒ.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #144
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
You would be telling me to vote for Voldemort if he was running against Palpatine because ďwell less people will dieĒ.
1. Fewer
2. Awwww baby doesnít have simple easy Disney decisions like good vs evil waaahh

 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #145
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Why do you guys care so much about my vote? Do you think the election hinges upon me?

Am I not allowed to vote for who I want? Trump is a fairly standard Republican outside of his words and tweets. He is not some unique thing we haven’t seen before. Bush was far worse. Are you also incapable of considering that Biden winning leads to a smarter Trump in 2024? Think about it.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #146
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,643
Default

Just trying to open your third eye.

 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #147
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 31,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
You would be telling me to vote for Voldemort if he was running against Palpatine because ďwell less people will dieĒ.
If you donít get this, you donít get utilitarianism which is pretty ironic given that it is one of if not the most important ideology underpinning democratic socialism. You should always vote for less people suffering. Iím not sure how else to explain that

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #148
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 31,976
Default

And again squish, you seem to be mistaking people thinking you are important with them being peeved at your head in the clouds logic about how to bring about the glorious revolution when we are literally in the middle of a fascist takeover

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #149
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Squish Squash's Avatar
 
Location: I should kick you in the sides
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
If you donít get this, you donít get utilitarianism which is pretty ironic given that it is one of if not the most important ideology underpinning democratic socialism. You should always vote for less people suffering. Iím not sure how else to explain that
Less people will suffer in the long run if we get a progressive in 2024.

 
Squish Squash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #150
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,643
Default

*Starting in 2024

You omit the suffering that would occur in the mean time, which adds to the total net suffering

 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it my fault that Donald Trump is the 45th president of the United States? teh b0lly!!1 General Chat Message Board 242 08-22-2020 02:17 PM
Keep Trump in President - Countdown to Impeachment MyOneAndOnly General Chat Message Board 237 01-23-2017 06:45 PM
ha ha ha the liberals are in nuclear meltdown Starla General Chat Message Board 489 12-08-2016 08:46 AM
People who are leaving America if Trump becomes president Starla General Chat Message Board 12 03-03-2016 05:50 PM
Friday afternoon "What's going on in your life?" thread TheMilstead General Chat Archive 45 06-07-2008 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020