Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #31
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Do you have a cache of photos of stuff? I'm interested, I've never bought art before, and I like your style. I guess it depends on materials too? I hope this also doesn't make me sound like an asshole. I don't know how to gauge how it would look on a wall or something either but I'm willing to test the waters
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
this is my favorite one. Is this is all just on sketch paper? Ever done canvas?
no cache what i've posted are the first drawings i've done in years, all from the last few months. these are on 18 x 24 drawing paper in soft willow charcoal.

i studied art as an undergrad, so have worked with canvas plenty, though it's been ages. i might re-enter the painting waters before long, but we'll see.

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default


 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

bleeding the orchid

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #34
queenoftheswine
Demi-God
 
queenoftheswine's Avatar
 
Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
thanks for sharing, queenoftheswine!

my favorite is the last one the evocative dual gaze, the texture of the marks, the line variation, the monotone, the still-visible guidelines.

i admire your grasp of anatomical proportion (human and reptilian), and your fearlessness with color, composition, and experimentation.
Thanks, Cork I tend to think my drawings are not "serious" enough so I tend to not share but I guess not everything in life has to be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
I really like this one and this whole series. I'm curious to see more.

 
queenoftheswine is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #35
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
no cache what i've posted are the first drawings i've done in years, all from the last few months.

it's really interesting to me to see that you're (possibly) exhibiting the same pattern as me.

i really honestly love painting, but it just takes hold of me in cycles, almost outside of my control in a weird way. i mostly do watercolors and acrylics. it's like, there will comes periods when i'll really get deeply into it for a while, and produce about a painting per day for a certain length of time. then at some point it'll just come to a halt on its own. then, after a cycle ends i may not really be "able" to produce again for months or even years - even though sometimes i may want to - until something triggers it again.

it's like an energy bar (the fighting game kind, not the one with nuts/assorted cranberries) that drains and refills outside of my control.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself). when i do my best paintings, i'm able to really meditate on them and get ultrafocused on whatever it is i'm trying to do. achieve a certain contour, or color tone or what have you. and when i'm outside of that, it's really hard to command the patience? at least i think that's what it is.

can feel another wave coming soon... can't wait.

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,145
Default

also, cork, really nice work.

i love how your paintings are a natural extension of the same realm that's alive and presented in your photography, and in a way - your musical work.

it's also beautiful to see the polarization of styles between yours and queenoftheswine's art. cork is colorless and stark; sharp yet almost slightly out of focus; the shapes indicating going over every spot many times over, perfecting and touching up.

queenoftheswine, on the other hand, is commited to one precise line. bold and perfect contours. vivid, vibrant colors. i love that. your work suggests a beautiful sense of vulnerability and courage.

this thread somehow serves as a good reminder why sometimes, when no one's looking, i love human beings.

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #37
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: before recorded time, in some suburban room
Posts: 35,221
Default

yes. when among humans, I like them best when keeping my eyes and ears shut.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #38
queenoftheswine
Demi-God
 
queenoftheswine's Avatar
 
Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's like an energy bar (the fighting game kind, not the one with nuts/assorted cranberries) that drains and refills outside of my control.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself)
This is exactly what I would describe it as being like, too. Even when I feel like I've achieved a consistent pace and draw every day, I'll just randomly stop for ages until I can bring myself to pick up a pencil again.

Thanks for your kind words Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff when the wave hits.

 
queenoftheswine is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #39
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's really interesting to me to see that you're (possibly) exhibiting the same pattern as me.

i really honestly love painting, but it just takes hold of me in cycles, almost outside of my control in a weird way. i mostly do watercolors and acrylics. it's like, there will comes periods when i'll really get deeply into it for a while, and produce about a painting per day for a certain length of time. then at some point it'll just come to a halt on its own. then, after a cycle ends i may not really be "able" to produce again for months or even years - even though sometimes i may want to - until something triggers it again.

it's like an energy bar (the fighting game kind, not the one with nuts/assorted cranberries) that drains and refills outside of my control.

i think it's a patience thing; that's why i cannot 'fake it' or produce upon demand (even from myself). when i do my best paintings, i'm able to really meditate on them and get ultrafocused on whatever it is i'm trying to do. achieve a certain contour, or color tone or what have you. and when i'm outside of that, it's really hard to command the patience? at least i think that's what it is.

can feel another wave coming soon... can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
also, cork, really nice work.

i love how your paintings are a natural extension of the same realm that's alive and presented in your photography, and in a way - your musical work.

it's also beautiful to see the polarization of styles between yours and queenoftheswine's art. cork is colorless and stark; sharp yet almost slightly out of focus; the shapes indicating going over every spot many times over, perfecting and touching up.

queenoftheswine, on the other hand, is commited to one precise line. bold and perfect contours. vivid, vibrant colors. i love that. your work suggests a beautiful sense of vulnerability and courage.

this thread somehow serves as a good reminder why sometimes, when no one's looking, i love human beings.
thanks, teh bolly.

i'm delighted to learn that you are a painter. i had no idea. of course i'd love to see some of your work, but also understand that a thread on netphoria isn't perhaps the most comfortable place to share. and i enjoy hearing about your approach the mindset you require, and the curious, seemingly unpredictable nature of the impulse.

i relate to the sense of focus you mention. for me, it's a state of near-effortlessness yet intense concentration (the colloquial "in the zone," i suppose). there has to be zero expectation, a sense of playfulness and excitement about what might happen, and fearlessness toward experimentation. it's like a full embracing of, and enthusiasm toward, the mystery of stepping into the forest. internal and external conditions have to be ideal, though perhaps similar to what you mention in terms of being able to "command the patience."

any time i start to consider what so-and-so might think, or i start to worry about "messing up" the drawing, i'm no longer in the right space. the momentum drains almost instantaneously and is almost impossible to reclaim without some time to reset. and i'm noticing that the more i draw, the more easily i'm swayed from the playful to the formal. i feel i have to be vigilant against that kind of encroachment, without letting that vigilance itself become an obstacle. which is tricky.

the drawings that i deem most successful, in terms of their honesty and creative "purity" (sorry) are those i've done while on conference calls for work. it seems i have to not be fully present for the act of drawing in order for the work to remain unspoiled. keeps the doubts distracted by other matters, i suppose.

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #40
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default




 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default


 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #42
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

some Vinnie van G i've been enjoying
















 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #43
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

and a pair of my own




 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #44
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,132
Default

i think that'll do for now, from me

thanks all for your indulgence

please continue if desired

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 36 03-09-2018 12:35 AM
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Archive 38 04-17-2012 04:25 PM
The Surprise loser2d Pumpkins Archive 136 12-19-2007 02:59 PM
del Geek USA General Chat Archive 9 03-08-2007 07:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2020