Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default TV thread

What are you watching? Distract me from the brain zaps.

Mindhunter. I finished ep. 1 and I want to go back for more. Has anyone watched this?

Toddlers and Tiaras. Just the best thing that has ever been produced for TV.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Idiotest because I have a crush on Ben Gleib and he's a savage.

AHS because I have a crush on Evan Peters and he's not a savage but plays one on TV.

Match Game 77 because I am fascinated by how much has changed in what is allowed to be said on TV in 40 years.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

there's an abundance of mediocre tv show, and it's getting harder and harder to find the ones that are really worth your time

Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the whole juvenile obsession with serial killers has maxed itself out sometime in the late 90's but i guess i'll try Mindhunter just cause i don't have anything better to watch

Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

have you tried watching lost

Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
redbreegull

lmao

Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
redbreegull

NOT PENNY'S BOAT!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
buzzard
Minion of Satan

People Just Do Nothing is probably the best thing on Netflix.

I did see Mindhunter, but found that it started out with a promise it didn't quite fulfill and soon settles into a fairly predictable monster-of-the-week sort of format where the overarching narrative is essentially the summarized Wikipedia entries of famous killers.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
What are you watching? Distract me from the brain zaps.

Mindhunter. I finished ep. 1 and I want to go back for more. Has anyone watched this?

Toddlers and Tiaras. Just the best thing that has ever been produced for TV.
i've mostly been watching movies lately. big lebowski about 20 times in the last few weeks

hope your brain's okay. what's causing the zaps?

Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
have you tried watching lost
i just watched the first episode and it was awesome. so stoked for next episodes. hope it keeps up with this level!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

You can never watch too much Big Lebowski.

Have you seen Barton Fink. They made it after Lebowski, which followed Fargo. I think that was their peak, those three.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

Teh b0lly are you srs?

And to think I introduced you to Neige...

Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

no, it was a fucking joke. just like the plot arcs in the show.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

Ok thank god

Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #15
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Lost really stepped it up a level when they introduced the character of Billy, the super muscular and overconfident seventeen-year-old. He stole peoples' girlfriends, was a drinking-game pro and drove a black Camaro.

His influence upon the plot was without parallel.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #16
FoolofaTook

Damn I wish I was this Billy. His life sounds without compare.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #17
redbreegull

WE HAVE TO GO BACK KATE

Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #18
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Lost really stepped it up a level when they introduced the character of Billy, the super muscular and overconfident seventeen-year-old. He stole peoples' girlfriends, was a drinking-game pro and drove a black Camaro.

His influence upon the plot was without parallel.
i have zero recollection of that but i'm not sure if you're being ironic or if the show was really just that bad

Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #19
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
the whole juvenile obsession with serial killers has maxed itself out sometime in the late 90's but i guess i'll try Mindhunter just cause i don't have anything better to watch
I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed, but I've heard the first episode is not as good as the rest of it. IDK, I agree that most serial killer obsession shows are bad, but there are interesting things about serial killers that still interest me. For example this university list (http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc%..._timelines.htm) of serial killers and the timelines of their killings plus info about each killer that are scientifically correlated or just thought to possibly be correlated with serial killing, such as birth order, triad behavior (fire-starting/bed-wetting/torturing animals), first sexual experience, if they served in the armed forces, if they had XYY genomes, age at first kill, and traumatic event history. also records idiosyncratic information like if they mutilated or posed bodies, had overkill, if and how they tried to hide their crimes, etc

i like the data richness aspect even though the kind of shock and awe of what serial killers are capable of is not so interesting to me anymore.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #20
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I nearly didn't watch it because I'm sick of both serial killer procedurals and period dramas and this is both.

The writing is really clumsy but it's interesting for a mainstream Netflix format and I wonder if it's going to get better. If people have watched and it doesn't get better though, I'd like to save myself the time. I get the feeling it wants to tackle a period of cultural change, similar to how Mad Men did.

TV is getting weird. Still haven't watched the second season of Stranger Things. I really feel like that should have been a 1 season show because it was starting to unravel even by the end of that.

At least with Toddlers and Tiaras I know what I'm going to get.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #21
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i feel like there used to be more emphasis on trying to make very high quality shows - Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, GoT, etc...

but now it's much more about sheer quantity, there's a ridiculous amount of shows out there but very very few of them are actually great

Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #22
redbreegull

Golden Age of TV has peaked and is now in decline

Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #23
redbreegull

I don't even watch tv I'm just talking. I feel like after the new twin peaks there is nothing left for art or the human imagination to accomplish or conceive of

Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 AM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
i feel like there used to be more emphasis on trying to make very high quality shows - Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, GoT, etc...

but now it's much more about sheer quantity, there's a ridiculous amount of shows out there but very very few of them are actually great
breaking bad, GoT were not that long ago but imo they aren't golden age anyway. but i couldnt get into GoT and breaking bad i liked a lot but it is not in the same tier as sopranos and the wire.

the only contemporaneous show that i watch that i think is great and could be god tier if they end it right next season is the americans. ya'll should get on that show if you haven't yet. they're already ahead of the curve by not trying to drag it out forever. it is a great show, a little confusing because there are many subplots and some take episodes to wrap up while some go on for several seasons, and the characters wear disguises and act as different people during spying activities and all kinds of stuff that can get confusing. but there's a lots of sites that 'review' episodes and can clear things up if anything is unclear.

Last edited by reprise85 : 11-21-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 AM   #25
ilikeplanets
Braindead

oooooh a new serial killer show on netflix?! yaaaaay

beats watching Family Feud for 10 hours a day. Seriously why does that show air so much?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #26
ilikeplanets
Braindead

NVM that show sucks

Old 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #27
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:

All those shows were a perfect storm of a writer coming into their best and most inspired form, and the right collaborators being available, I reckon.

It can and will happen again but it just isn't something that can be manufactured...it's like any other creative venture I guess.

It sucks being a pleb and waiting around for the next thing though. I mean, hurry up already.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #28
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Black Jesus on Hulu. It's fucking great.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #29
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles finding things to watch in this supposed golden age. I feel like the scales have tipped towards quantity over quality these last few years as Netflix races to have the most original content possible. I mean, do we really need a fucking Jason Bateman-led Breaking Bad knock-off? Or fucking Flaked? Who is that for? Haters Back Off? Fuck off!

I'm with Ram. I'm more inclined to watch a movie. I kept track and I watched 36 horror movies (mostly stuff I had never seen before, somehow) in the month of October alone. Because I'm a cool person, that's why.