Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2001, 11:01 PM   #1
Pmack

Post New Dates - tapers

Ok, the new dates have been posted. We've got 2 weeks to get some sort of plan together to get tapes to rival the 'Elite Tapers' squad. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Anyone got friends in that area who tape jam bands?

Also, anyone have any experience with mailing lists? I want to set one up & need some guidance...

- dave

Old 11-29-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
GhostChild

Dave I have sent out e-mails to the tapers group and DAT-heads. I am also asking the Schoeps guys if they know any big rig tapers in the area. Also I am working on setting a site similar to Sebis site last year where people can sign up to tape the shows and such.

The thing with jam band tapers are...they might be less likely to tape if stands arent allowed. And what I gathered from Gooch was that the clubs where just too small to allow stands...and these clubs sound just as small. Also...pooling money together to rent a nice rig could be another option...I know I would throw in money.

Also...I think we should all try for tickets tomorrow for tapers and such. Never know if it will sell out or not.

hehe...I dare someone to beat the Glasshouse http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

man...these are fun times!

-Jason

Old 11-29-2001, 11:37 PM   #3
Slurpee

I can set up a mailing list where anyone on the list can email a particular address and have that message sent to all the members. I'm not sure if you're looking for that sort of list, or the one where people can add themselves to it, get a digest, etc.

Joe

Old 11-29-2001, 11:39 PM   #4
GhostChild

Quote:
Originally posted by Slurpee:
I can set up a mailing list where anyone on the list can email a particular address and have that message sent to all the members. I'm not sure if you're looking for that sort of list, or the one where people can add themselves to it, get a digest, etc.

Joe
Yeah I think Dave means like a yahoo type mailing list deal. They are easy to use...but I have no idea how to set one up,

-Jason

Old 11-30-2001, 12:05 AM   #5
glued_on_wings

OK they are making their way east.. Im hoping for some jan dates over here. I will get together some people to rent some stuff with and we will go tape them..

Rock On..

------------------
- I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life... -
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -

Sad Machines Audio Archive
Glued On Wings FTP

Old 11-30-2001, 12:16 AM   #6
Sehki

Quote:
Originally posted by glued_on_wings:
OK they are making their way east.. Im hoping for some jan dates over here. I will get together some people to rent some stuff with and we will go tape them..

Rock On..

hey... where are you on the east coast? I'd be interested in hanging out with other Zwanatics and I know Joe would! (we live about 5 miles away from each other http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif)

Old 11-30-2001, 12:36 AM   #7
Pmack

Quote:
Originally posted by GhostChild:
Also...pooling money together to rent a nice rig could be another option...I know I would throw in money.
Well, I was thinking that too, but the security deposit seems prohibitive. Jason G. was talking about a $4K deposit for the Schoeps rental. That's nuts. I'll be calling places here in Boston about rentals tomorrow in preparation for the eventual east coast shows, but I'm not going to be able to swing a massive deposit if I want to keep the mics for a week or so.

So what I was thinking is, instead of renting the gear, why not rent a taper? If people are willing to pool together some money, maybe we could literally rent a gearhead for a night. Tell him we'll pay his ticket & bar tab and give him (somewhere around)$100, maybe $200 dollars to tape the gig for us. Someone can patch from his deck so that we get a copy of the show to SHN and he gets to keep his master. He handles his own gear (so there's no worry about us breaking it), plus he's experienced with the rig, so a good tape is almost guaranteed.

Quote:
hehe...I dare someone to beat the Glasshouse http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif
Well, you set the bar, dude. So now instead of "I've got the biggest tape list", the measuring will have to be "I made the best tape of the tour" http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

- Dave

[This message has been edited by Pmack (edited 11-29-2001).]

Old 11-30-2001, 12:43 AM   #8
Day dreaming Of Darcy

Thumbs up

Right now I'm tenatively schedule to maybe hit Grand Rapids. I'll need to work some stuff out but I know how to run gear and might have some leads on gear.

Anyways, that's the scope from your favorite midwestern d00d.

pzane

------------------
The Smashing Pumpkins Trading FAQ
http://www.spfc.org/tradingfaq.txt

this is the number one thing my fellow Kansans said when I told them I was transferring to NDSU. In my efforts to assure them that Fargo is entirely omitted from that movie, I hereby petition the Cohen Brothers to change the name to: "Brainerd, MN. Down and to the right of Fargo."
Some NDSU d00d that pj knows

Old 11-30-2001, 12:45 AM   #9
Lunadisarm

Taper: Scott Brown
or

Source: Earthworks SR-77 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Graham Patten ADC-20 > Sony TCD-D8

There is a guy named Scott Brown over on the east coast who is infamous for taping great quality Dave Matthews (and other bands too) shows. His gear is above, recent to the shows during the summer I think. Sure, it's not Schoeps but the guy is supposedly very good... so if worst came to worst, hopefully this will help.

Old 11-30-2001, 12:55 AM   #10
Day dreaming Of Darcy

yes... I've heard of Scott Brown and he makes great tapes but that's looking to far in the future. All we can do is ask people to attend, coaxing them by paying their bills is only feasible for a short period unitl members in this group get better gear.

Anyways, that was not the intent of this post. I forgot to add something about the stands. Quite frankly I think it's ridiculous to think a club is "too small" to allow stands. Shit, the only clubs in this hellhole I live in aren't any bigger than the ones out in cali or anywhere else. They just aren't anal pricks at the venue. All you need to setup a stand is like 3x3 ft section behind the board. I've seen stands setup underneath balconies and in places that hold less than 1000 many times.

Now, not to sound assholish here, but this is a pretty important issue if you want to have open taping. Someone might wanna bring this to Gooch's attention... and I'm not talking about "hey man, think you could talk to them about stands?" They need to put that stuff in contracts or be pretty insistent at the venue that stands are okay. I don't think a small bit of space right behind the board is too much to ask for. It's also a very integral part of open taping... nobody's gonna wanna make good tapes if they've gotts stick their shit in hats for much longer.

Just a suggestion, I'm not saying anyone should do anything, just a thought on what needs to happen.

pzane

------------------

this is the number one thing my fellow Kansans said when I told them I was transferring to NDSU. In my efforts to assure them that Fargo is entirely omitted from that movie, I hereby petition the Cohen Brothers to change the name to: "Brainerd, MN. Down and to the right of Fargo."

Old 11-30-2001, 01:06 AM   #11
fallingtogether

brown now has an ad2k+!

to note, a lot of dave matthews band post their emails in the source infos that they give (www.dmbsourceinfo.com), maybe someone can check that out, too.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:43 AM   #12
Scoogs

I created a yahoo group for Zwan tapers, you can sign up here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zwantaper

Scoogs

Old 11-30-2001, 02:08 AM   #13
distance

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmack:
Well, I was thinking that too, but the security deposit seems prohibitive. Jason G. was talking about a $4K deposit for the Schoeps rental. That's nuts. I'll be calling places here in Boston about rentals tomorrow in preparation for the eventual east coast shows, but I'm not going to be able to swing a massive deposit if I want to keep the mics for a week or so.
So what I was thinking is, instead of renting the gear, why not rent a taper? If people are willing to pool together some money, maybe we could literally rent a gearhead for a night. Tell him we'll pay his ticket & bar tab and give him (somewhere around)$100, maybe $200 dollars to tape the gig for us. Someone can patch from his deck so that we get a copy of the show to SHN and he gets to keep his master. He handles his own gear (so there's no worry about us breaking it), plus he's experienced with the rig, so a good tape is almost guaranteed.
i'm looking into borrowing/renting some gear, but if the deposit is $4k, i can't swing that. hoping to borrow. my going mostly depends on if i can find someone to ride up with me/split gas cost/possibly even do some of the driving.

i honestly am not excited about making that much of a trip just to tape sonics->m1.
(it's 700+ miles to grand rapids -- i've driven farther for shows, though)

Old 11-30-2001, 02:11 AM   #14
Halteh

After reading all these posts I get this warm feeling inside. After a bit of a rough start with Ghostchild and Pmack, I really feel things have taken a complete 180 here! I love this atmosphere in the community! We should make it our goal to have shns of every show up within a week of the show! When we work together like this we can get all the shows taped in hq with no problems! we got ppl eager to trade stuff, tapers arranging to get to shows, ppl arranging money pools for rigs + tapers http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif. I love it!

------------------
"western conception of the world, with it's mcdonalds materialism, doesn't mean so much as family, life, and tradition" -bc
Fares Halteh - 733+ Trading Page

Old 11-30-2001, 02:23 AM   #15
Slurpee

Ok, a lot of us in this taping group attend colleges and universities, and most of these fine institutes have a wide array of A/V equipment available for use. Before you go renting things for exhorbitant amounts of money, investigate different groups at your school - the mics could be available from editing/media workstations at the library, the radio station, or the tv station. Of course, this isn't guaranteed to be true, and you might have to work some interesting excuses up for borrowing the mics (excuses other than "I'm bootlegging a concert hundreds of miles away"). This is all just a suggestion, of course.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:25 AM   #16
Mr MacPhisto

i'll be at the shows, and taping them. i know a few others are going to be there taping as well. i'm trying to get my dmb buddies to tape them too.

frank

Old 11-30-2001, 02:45 AM   #17
SilverFhuck

Quote:
Jason G. was talking about a $4K deposit for the Schoeps rental. That's nuts.
D00d, that was -after- talking him down. Initially, he told me it'd be over $5K. When I saw the contract, it mentioned they wanted a $5,850 deposit...though I had him down to $4K. It's not so bad if you have a nice credit card....I'm all about cash/check cards though.

--Jason

Old 11-30-2001, 02:55 AM   #18
Day dreaming Of Darcy

I'm down with the Egroups for a while. They're good forums until we can get something else set up. Everyone should join I guess. Only thing is, we're all here too so like we'll probably be getting every post here in our inboxes.

pzane

------------------

Old 11-30-2001, 03:15 AM   #19
Andrew Fogelsong

Quote:
Originally posted by Halteh:
After a bit of a rough start with Ghostchild and Pmack, I really feel things have taken a complete 180 here!
r0+h vs. D4 was such great entertainment though... As much as I love the fuzzy wuzzy feeling I get now that the community is starting to come together, it won't be as good without a good fight every few weeks.

Andrew
np: 011116-Zwan-Schoeps-d2t01-And So I Died Of A Broken Heart

Old 11-30-2001, 03:41 AM   #20
GhostChild

Quote:
Well, you set the bar, dude. So now instead of "I've got the biggest tape list", the measuring will have to be "I made the best tape of the tour" http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

- Dave

[This message has been edited by Pmack (edited 11-29-2001).]
Thats not a bad idea...but that could get costly for every show. I totaly forgot about the depost thingy too hm. If the tapers get into em...we could tell em we will send em every show we get and such as well for payment. I think open band tapers would jump on the chance to openly tape a band like this anyways. Most of the tapers in our community have been taping for a few years now and I think we can pull together some people. Frank knows a lot of Dave people, Zach knows a lot of jam band tapers, I know all the Schoeps guys, we can get people to these shows. But yeah...I am willing to throw down money for tickets and cost if needed. I know I am saving now for next years tour.

Hehe yeah I know what you mean...Alex and his buds always go for that..."I made the best tape of the tour" thingy.

Also I know for sure I can send my HEBs to Frank or Fares for these up coming shows. I can pretty much use the Schoeps at will now...so sending my mics out shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully by next year I will have my own Schoeps rig. Alex is also talking about getting a 2nd rig as a back up...which would be sweet...a full Schoeps rig anytime I want =).

We posted on DAT-heads too...so I think someone on the list will jump on this. Lets hope so at least...man if we got every show taped with a nice ass rig...that would be sweet!

-Jason

Old 11-30-2001, 03:43 AM   #21
GhostChild

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Fogelsong:
r0+h vs. D4 was such great entertainment though... As much as I love the fuzzy wuzzy feeling I get now that the community is starting to come together, it won't be as good without a good fight every few weeks.

Andrew
np: 011116-Zwan-Schoeps-d2t01-And So I Died Of A Broken Heart
Wanna fight? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

-Jason

Old 11-30-2001, 03:55 AM   #22
Andrew Fogelsong

Quote:
Originally posted by GhostChild:
Wanna fight? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

-Jason
and what proceeded....

Andrew Fogelsong (12:49:59 AM): alright, it's go time
SPArising (12:50:06 AM): huh
Andrew Fogelsong (12:50:14 AM): time to duke it out
SPArising (12:50:23 AM): haha
SPArising (12:50:45 AM): *krate chops you*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:01 AM): *wipes blood from lips*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:15 AM): *gets up and jump tackles you*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:25 AM): *people's elbow*
SPArising (12:51:36 AM): awwww
SPArising (12:51:52 AM): *turns you over and pounds your face*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:29 AM): i hate to do this....
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:31 AM): *jab to the crotch*
SPArising (12:52:56 AM): *high pitched voice* that hurt fucker
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:59 AM): *stands over Jason in a triumphant "big man" laugh*
SPArising (12:53:11 AM): *grabs steel chair*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:53:17 AM): *bends over to see if his arch enemy is okay*
SPArising (12:53:31 AM): *smacks you in the head as you bend over*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:53:56 AM): *lies in agony for a minute*
SPArising (12:54:13 AM): *hands you CDRs of Zwan shows and smiles*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:24 AM): *hands you MP*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:26 AM): haha
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:34 AM): just....
SPArising (12:54:36 AM): *hands you avalon*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:36 AM): kidding....
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:49 AM): *slaps butt*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:52 AM): good fight
SPArising (12:54:58 AM): yeah not bad
Andrew Fogelsong (12:55:05 AM): let's get some drinks

it was quick, but intense.

Old 11-30-2001, 03:57 AM   #23
TheSacredAgeOfInnocence

Red face

Quote:
and what proceeded....

Andrew Fogelsong (12:49:59 AM): alright, it's go time
SPArising (12:50:06 AM): huh
Andrew Fogelsong (12:50:14 AM): time to duke it out
SPArising (12:50:23 AM): haha
SPArising (12:50:45 AM): *krate chops you*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:01 AM): *wipes blood from lips*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:15 AM): *gets up and jump tackles you*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:51:25 AM): *people's elbow*
SPArising (12:51:36 AM): awwww
SPArising (12:51:52 AM): *turns you over and pounds your face*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:29 AM): i hate to do this....
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:31 AM): *jab to the crotch*
SPArising (12:52:56 AM): *high pitched voice* that hurt fucker
Andrew Fogelsong (12:52:59 AM): *stands over Jason in a triumphant "big man" laugh*
SPArising (12:53:11 AM): *grabs steel chair*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:53:17 AM): *bends over to see if his arch enemy is okay*
SPArising (12:53:31 AM): *smacks you in the head as you bend over*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:53:56 AM): *lies in agony for a minute*
SPArising (12:54:13 AM): *hands you CDRs of Zwan shows and smiles*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:24 AM): *hands you MP*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:26 AM): haha
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:34 AM): just....
SPArising (12:54:36 AM): *hands you avalon*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:36 AM): kidding....
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:49 AM): *slaps butt*
Andrew Fogelsong (12:54:52 AM): good fight
SPArising (12:54:58 AM): yeah not bad
Andrew Fogelsong (12:55:05 AM): let's get some drinks

it was quick, but intense.

Old 11-30-2001, 04:23 AM   #24
The Gaddrow

Talking

Quote:
Andrew Fogelsong (12:55:05 AM): let's get some drinks.
With Jason, it always ends this way. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

------------------
All these colors that shine within my soul.
And all I am, you'll never know

Old 11-30-2001, 04:28 AM   #25
AC_21

Ok I'm joining in for no reason just because I love the atmosphere right now! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 11-30-2001, 04:44 AM   #26
GhostChild

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
Quote:
Andrew Fogelsong (12:55:05 AM): let's get some drinks.
With Jason, it always ends this way. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

It's the best way to end things...speaking of...my glass is empty now

-Jason

Old 11-30-2001, 08:40 AM   #27
glued_on_wings

Quote:
Originally posted by Sehki:
hey... where are you on the east coast? I'd be interested in hanging out with other Zwanatics and I know Joe would! (we live about 5 miles away from each other http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif)

Umm i live about 45 mins from joe in Carrall County MD... Joe and I actually meet at weezer back in the fall..

Rock on..

------------------
- I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life... -
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -

Sad Machines Audio Archive
Glued On Wings FTP

Old 11-30-2001, 09:14 AM   #28
Sehki

cool; I live in Arlington VA. Uh... man I'm tired.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Old 11-30-2001, 09:38 AM   #29
StarlaBlue

So how do we donate money to this great cause. Should we maybe set up a Zwan taping fund so we can fund the shows that have to be outsourced to members of other communities.

Any thoughts,

Tom

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/hullth1/Front_Page.html?989271142303
[email protected]

Old 11-30-2001, 11:47 AM   #30
DamingR

I am experienced MD taper and will be hitting both shows, but I have to admit that my rig isn't top notch (I use standard CSBs). But, if somebody comes up with some equip, I would be happy to help get this taped. As of right now I'll be taking my CSB>MD, but if you can come up with something better, I could help. I have been to the Emerson and live in Indy, so if anybody has any questions, just drop me an e-mail [email protected].

Ryan