Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 AM   #61
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

even some of the shitty songs like Quasar and Chimera have good guitar parts. Monuments is a hot pile of dog crap

Old 02-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #62
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Panopticon, Celestials, Violet Rays, Oceania before the third part comes in, Glissandra and Inkless are all pretty decent to good. They all suffer from bad singing and bad lyrics but that goes without saying. Everything on Monuments is at One Diamond One Heart level shitty
I feel the same way. I recently watched Anthony Fantano's review, and he was praised the album up to One Diamond, One Heart. He's not usually a very generous critic, so it was a nice surprise. Billy's singing was pretty good on Oceania.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 AM   #63
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Riiiiide onnnnn riiiiiide onnnnn

OOOH WILDFLOWAH WILDFLOW-AH

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 AM   #64
ilikeplanets
Braindead

ONE AND ALL

WE YUM WE YUM

Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #65
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SOULLESS FUCKING DRECK? HUH!?!?!?!!!!

In retrospect, I think listening to Run2Me gave me genuine appreciation for G.L.O.W and Feelalo as actual examples of Bill trying by comparison.

I really enjoy Panopticon. I wish I knew what the fuck Bill was singing about, but that call-and-response feel of the guitars at the song's start gave me more of an SP vibe than anything in years.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
MtaE is good. I don't understand the level of hate it gets. He actually sang like Billy Corgan on that album. Dorian sounded like something straight off of Adore. And I don't care if you don't like the lyrics, "One and All" was a great guitar track.
the sound/feel itself could have been on adore but the lyrics and melody are garbage

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #67
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i like Dorian but I was on LSD when I first heard it so it's not my fault

Old 02-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #68
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

The liking it or the LSD? Which one was not your fault?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #69
ilikeplanets
Braindead

well the LSD isn't nearly as shameful, so I'll go with liking it is not my fault

Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #70
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Dorian sounds more like a Machina or TFE outtake to me - in a good way, but still
the production isn't quite intricate or intimate enough to sound Adore-ish to me

in any case, Run2Me sucks in unbelievable ways, Anti-Hero's bad but at least sonically is a bit more tolerable
Being Beige i considered one of the bad tracks from that album for a while but after hearing it again recently i really can't say i hate it

Other than that i don't know what the fuck people are complaining about on that record. the songs are actually memorable and distinct, something I couldn't really say about the monochrome SD lite of Oceania

Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #71
myosis
Minion of Satan

i don't have the album yet but i'll probably buy it someday in a sales bin because of Dorian...

Old 02-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #72
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

MtaE? Only good song is Tiberius. The rest are forgettable. Being Beige, One And All, Drum + Fife are the worst of the bunch. I rather listen to Run2Me than those songs, THAT'S how much I dislike them. Weak lyrics combined with simplified/repetitive song structures. There's just no feeling. I saw them live on the co-tour with Manson at Jones Beach and you could feel the energy just drop when MtaE tracks were played. The MtaE tracks were just boring live. At least the lyrics and songwriting are a bit of an improvement on Ogilala, but the acoustic guitar/piano only angle gets boring after a while and what holds the album back. Billy can write some great acoustic and piano tracks, but not a whole album of this. The album needs variation.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #73
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Other than Byrne's drumming, which sounds like something out of a Super Nintendo video game, Oceania was what I imagined a new Smashing Pumpkins album would sound like when Billy announced he was bringing it back in 2005. It does not reach the highs of the "classic three" albums, but if you close your eyes and pretend, you can imagine the 1992/93 version of the band might have played these songs for a day or two before discarding them and moving on to better songs for Siamese Dream.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #74
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

MyKeyZ

Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #75
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
It does not reach the highs of the "classic three" albums, but if you close your eyes and pretend, .
yeah thanks, I got better music to listen to. I still like to post on this forum and tell people that I got better music to listen to, though.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #76
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Other than that i don't know what the fuck people are complaining about on that record. the songs are actually memorable and distinct
https://media1.tenor.com/images/19e5...3681/tenor.gif

Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #77
MarquisInSpades
Banned

MTAE does sound great on a quad-DAC player along with a pair or high-fidelity headphones. Also, One And All is great, one of the few good tracks on the album that I genuinely enjoyed.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #78
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it sounds fine here in New Dehli

Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #79
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
MTAE does sound great on a quad-DAC player along with a pair or high-fidelity headphones.
Is that all I really need to enjoy this album?

I guess my Audio Technica ATH-M50x's and Tannoy Reveal 802 studio monitors aren't enough to truly appreciate this masterpiece.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #80
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
relatively speaking, at least!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #81
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

like if you showed me the Monuments tracklisting i'd at least be able to hum the lead melody from each or whatever, Oceania you could have a gun to my head and i couldn't tell you Quasar from Panopticon

Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #82
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quasar is the worst one

Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #83
ilikeplanets
Braindead

KRISHNA RIIIIIIIDE ON

Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #84
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
like if you showed me the Monuments tracklisting i'd at least be able to hum the lead melody from each or whatever, Oceania you could have a gun to my head and i couldn't tell you Quasar from Panopticon
I reckon I'd agree with this. A song like My Love Is Winter just doesn't have any strong identifying hooks. For better or worse, most the songs of the songs on MTAE kind of do. But its such a hollow album at the end of the day, it's like this weird husk of Smashing Pumpkins.

I remember being excited to hear Anaise! after hearing the 30 second Amazon sample of the chorus. Then I heard the verses :|

Old 02-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #85
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Panopticon, Celestials, Violet Rays, Oceania before the third part comes in, Glissandra and Inkless are all pretty decent to good. They all suffer from bad singing and bad lyrics but that goes without saying. Everything on Monuments is at One Diamond One Heart level shitty
Jeeze, you like some of the songs that I found the most boring. Inkless is an MGMT rip-off...

I will say that the only 2 songs that I thought were half-decent were Violet Rays and Oceania, so at least we agree on that. Not sure how you could possibly enjoy a song like "Glissandra" though... That's some Teargarden level bullshit.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #86
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think most of the appreciation for Oceania stems from the fact that it attempted to go down the list and check all of the boxes for "Smashing Pumpkins nostalgia"... Which is fine and dandy in theory, but you still need the songs and musicianship to back it up.

Oceania is essentially Billy Corgan saying "Oh yeah? You don't think I can make Smashing Pumpkins sounding music anymore?!? WELL CHECK THIS OUT!"... And then it's just boring crud.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #87
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I think most of the appreciation for Oceania stems from the fact that it attempted to go down the list and check all of the boxes for "Smashing Pumpkins nostalgia"... Which is fine and dandy in theory, but you still need the songs and musicianship to back it up.

Oceania is essentially Billy Corgan saying "Oh yeah? You don't think I can make Smashing Pumpkins sounding music anymore?!? WELL CHECK THIS OUT!"... And then it's just boring crud.
And ironically the best song (for me) is Pinwheels, which sounds the least like any old SP stuff (kinda sounds like FuturEmbrace if anything)

Old 02-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #88
myosis
Minion of Satan

i see all these song titles and nothing comes to mind... i don't know which is what

Old 02-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #89
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
i see all these song titles and nothing comes to mind... i don't know which is what
Yeah me2
Fucken there’s that one goes mothermoon is that pinwheels
Or is that the i’ll kiss anyone’s tonight

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 AM   #90
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Oh God I hate that one. Sistah souuul~

How are people finding Oceania any better than MTAE again?