Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
ilikeplanets
Braindead

They turned his mic all the way down, it seems like. Every producer, every James song.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #32
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

His live vocals around Zeitgeist were amazing. So much more powerful and old-school than on record. His recording voice has just gotten worse, it's a stylistic choice rather than necessity.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #33
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
His live vocals around Zeitgeist were amazing. So much more powerful and old-school than on record. His recording voice has just gotten worse, it's a stylistic choice rather than necessity.
I think you're forgetting how he dropped the first consonants of most words on that tour.

Ooday is the rrreatest day I've ever known

Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #34
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i mean all it takes is comparing the documentaries.

look at the adore documentary. billy is in a big recording room, singing into some expensive condenser mic, going line by line and carefully tailors his singing into a take.

and then in the zeitgeist documentary, iirc, you see him yelling into a 57 in the control room, almost as an afterthought. that's really what makes the whole difference.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 10-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #35
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Also no more D'Arcy for quality control. She'd never let the album go out with Billy sounding like a sheep.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #36
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
in terms of literally hitting the notes correctly he's a totally adequate singer and has improved a lot since the early days
Yep. Those engineers have helped Billy a lot.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #37
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
james iha also enjoyed the services of those same producers.
why does he still sound like shit?
Iha produced his own shit.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #38
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Yep. Those engineers have helped Billy a lot.
Have you ever heard Billy Corgan sing live? He can actually do it now. If anything, his voice was fucked with a lot more in the early days to try and get it to sound good on recording. I would not say he is a good singer and I agree with everything that has been said about the pleasantness of his voice degrading over time. But in terms of his sheer ability to sing correctly from a technical point of view, he's much better now than in the old days. When he plays live, engineers aren't lurking behind the stage frantically autotuning and processing his voice

Old 10-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #39
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Bills voice was astonishingly good at the plainsong I saw

None of the boots I've heard have done justice to how spine chillingly on point it felt in person

Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #40
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I agree, his voice was great on the last tour. Best I've seen of him, by far.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #41
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Have you ever heard Billy Corgan sing live? He can actually do it now. If anything, his voice was fucked with a lot more in the early days to try and get it to sound good on recording. I would not say he is a good singer and I agree with everything that has been said about the pleasantness of his voice degrading over time. But in terms of his sheer ability to sing correctly from a technical point of view, he's much better now than in the old days. When he plays live, engineers aren't lurking behind the stage frantically autotuning and processing his voice
well, i think in the old days the disconnect between the live & studio stuff was more than just "studio trickery" or whatever

i mean yeah they sent him through the "pumpkinizer" or whatever they called that mysterious vocal effect Butch used with them, but Bill was also straight-up singing those songs differently in the studio, then pretty much belting out/screaming everything live until MCIS, when how he performed in the studio was pretty close to the shows

Old 10-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #42
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
well, i think in the old days the disconnect between the live & studio stuff was more than just "studio trickery" or whatever

i mean yeah they sent him through the "pumpkinizer" or whatever they called that mysterious vocal effect Butch used with them, but Bill was also straight-up singing those songs differently in the studio, then pretty much belting out/screaming everything live until MCIS, when how he performed in the studio was pretty close to the shows
that's true but I was responding specifically to jelly blossom implying he can't hit the literal notes anymore which is obviously false. Just from a technical POV, his voice is much better now than it has been in the past, and yes, he can hit the correct notes without anyone running his voice through anything.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #43
redbreegull

also see pre-Gish live videos, he often sings in his deep dreamy breathy voice (which he later abandoned) and he's hitting all the notes for the most part. The screaming/high intensity singing was obviously a choice and not just the limitations of his vocal chords. he's always been able to sing decently enough

Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #44
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Oh good 28 years later and we're still arguing about whether Billy is a shit singer or not.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #45
Disco King
Minion of Satan

WTF is this narrated by Andy from Pro Guitar Shop?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #46
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
that's true but I was responding specifically to jelly blossom implying he can't hit the literal notes anymore which is obviously false. Just from a technical POV, his voice is much better now than it has been in the past, and yes, he can hit the correct notes without anyone running his voice through anything.
As usual redbreegull is quick to make interpretations without understanding what was being said. Do us all a huge favor and post less and read more.

I did not imply that Billy "can't hit the literal notes anymore", I was pointing out that even with studio magic from some of the best engineers/producers in the music industry he still sounds like shit in the studio. Quite frankly he sounds even worse live, now especially. His singing with Iha on stage is unlistenable. The fact that this thread exists shows that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Also I love how you say that he's a better singer now when you went on before, ad nauseum, at how all singers get worse as they age. You're a real piece of work my friend.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #47
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
As usual redbreegull is quick to make interpretations without understanding what was being said. Do us all a huge favor and post less and read more.

I did not imply that Billy "can't hit the literal notes anymore", I was pointing out that even with studio magic from some of the best engineers/producers in the music industry he still sounds like shit in the studio. Quite frankly he sounds even worse live, now especially. His singing with Iha on stage is unlistenable. The fact that this thread exists shows that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Also I love how you say that he's a better singer now when you went on before, ad nauseum, at how all singers get worse as they age. You're a real piece of work my friend.
get a load of poots' little brother

Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #48
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i mean yeah they sent him through the "pumpkinizer" or whatever they called that mysterious vocal effect Butch used with them
IIRC it's a Eventide H3000 Harmonizer. There was an interview with someone (Butch maybe?) that mentioned that it's a detune preset on there.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #49
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Remember when D'arcy drunk dialed that radio show to tell em how bill could sing in two tones at once like those mongolian throat singers

Old 10-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #50
Ram27
dumb

i thought all the sd vocals were run through a phaser

Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #51
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

they were actually run through jimmy's cock while he was passed out

Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 AM   #52
Row
Amish Rake Fighter

The phaser was the Mu-tron Bi-Phase. They might have ran Billy's voice through it to fatten up the sound.. I think it has some solid transformers in it but I don't know... but I don't think they were using it as an effect or anything?

I wasn't at the Plainsong shows but in the videos I watched he's still doing the nasally thing. Whoever used the Wah-Wah pedal metaphor is right on. It sounds like he's got a wah on and tilted down in the Nasally-Trebly position... It totally is an aesthetic thing and I do believe he chooses to sing like that. That's the part that hurts the most. Also, I do agree Billy is "hitting notes" MORE correctly and his pitch has certainly gotten better over time but Singing isn't just about "hitting the notes"... Its about timbre, style, delivery, the actual words your saying, FEELING... It's like saying if you play a crappy guitar through a crappy amp in a crappy sounding space and you're hitting all the correct notes it could still sound good. NOPE.

To me his voice from Machina onwards sounds the same. I don't understand any of this "in 2 Thousand-Whatever Year he was sounding great on Tour" stuff...

Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #53
Ram27
dumb

exactly. well, i'd say post-zwan onwards, but his voice has sounded like shit ever since. Even if I went and saw him live, I can't imagine having his voice blasted over the PA at me would make me like it more

the versions of mayonaise that are "on point" are ones from the 90s where i actually feel things hearing him sing it, even if technically they're bad

these ones make me cringe slightly

Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #54
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
IIRC it's a Eventide H3000 Harmonizer. There was an interview with someone (Butch maybe?) that mentioned that it's a detune preset on there.
But not before I dubbed the vocal as presented 'uneventful'; or 'too dry' in studio parlance. Ambience added, I felt it worse. "How about 'The Pumpkinizer'?" I suggested; as so dubbed by Butch VIg circa 1990. An Eventide H3000 patch he'd amended you'd instantly recognize from GISH onward. And laughable I still have the setting saved!

"Let's try it," David said, and I'll be darned if it didn't work again for the 1000th time. "It just does that thing," Jeff said, and I didn't argue though I figured with all the new-fangled plug-ins out there the gimmick would no longer be needed.

Source

Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #55
cork_soaker
full of longing

The one efx we used a lot on Billy's voice was the Eventide harmonizer, to add a slight double effect. Usually 20 or 30 ms delay, with about a 10 cent pitch offset.

-butch vig from that gearsluts q&a

Old 10-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #56
Ram27
dumb

Never heard this about Disarm before

Quote:
The funny thing is, we origianlly wanted to make the strings sound like a quartet, so we should have only needed a couple takes. But after listening to them double the first part, we realized the song was going to sound much bigger and dynamic with a LOT of strings.
In hindsight, we probably could have got a 16 piece or 20 piece string section and done it live, but hey, what did we know...we were making it up on the fly!
Honestly I think the studio version would be amazing if it was just Billy + acoustic + violin. Kinda lofi live feel in contrast to the rest of the bombastic rock songs

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #57
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Everyone saying bill sounds like shit live rite now ... Did u actually go to a plainsong?? Or just checkin boots

Cuz just like guitar tone, a boot is not gonna b super accurate. I maintain that in Little Rock, I was absolutely stunned by bill's voice. It was truly powerful, he was belting it out at times like a bonafide pop star

Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #58
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

yep, I saw them in April and Bill sounded great. Stumbleine in particularly was amazing, the way he belted the chorus.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #59
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

and the solo mellotron version of Disarm performed on this tour was incredible, the first time i've ever been interested in that song

Old 10-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #60
T&T
Socialphobic

I just don't hear the new found 'power in his voice'

the weird consonants... weird man.
he doesn't hit every note. you've got to be tone deaf if you're thinking he does.
it's not as bad is some pre 95 live stuff... but there's a lot left to be desired.