https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6...b001641193bc02

Old 09-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Trapped in the Cell: Chapters 10-Life

Old 09-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Jim has been writing about this for 20 years. I've heard him say that this went on for nearly 30 years because Society views women of color as worthless and not deserving of justice.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

he's being a rapist and child molester in prison?

will nothing stop him?

Old 09-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #5
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Jim has been writing about this for 20 years. I've heard him say that this went on for nearly 30 years because Society views women of color as worthless and not deserving of justice.

#Fun4netpho:

Remember when Derogatis wrote a negative review about SP in the 90s, and Corgan faxed him that poem?

Just found it again:

Quote:
"I'm glad that I'm such a good rhymer,
Better than being a social climber,
Just because I'm a bit brighter,
Than some fucking writer."
Kinda the early 90s version of "take my dick outta your ass and put it in ur mouth"

Old 09-28-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Also, are there any celebs left who aren't mega rapists or abusers? I think Jeff "Whammy Bar" Shredder may be the only one left

Old 09-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
#Fun4netpho:

Remember when Derogatis wrote a negative review about SP in the 90s, and Corgan faxed him that poem?

Just found it again:
Is there anyone that Bill hasn't dissed online?

I was at a live interview about 10 years ago when Greg Kot interviewed Corgan, and he mentions Jim DeRogatis's review.... He's still angry about it.

And the blathering from bill about how "bands are overrated" and "they're not what the public thinks they" are. John Bonham "didn't write Stariway to Heaven!". "In 1990... it said in the contract that THEY DIDN'T MATTER!"

He says that right after saying that the record companies don't care about "the music"

Just found it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_ccjUDNXQ

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 09-28-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

"I'm real..I'm a real person" - Billy Corgan

Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

"My best friend in the world, Kerry Brown..."

Who bill hasn't spoken to in 9 years

Old 09-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

"Billy Corgan was a character" - Willis Patrice

Old 09-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

"Willis Patrice ate my sandwich" - Bruce Willis

Old 09-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #12
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Unhappy

Quote:
Also, are there any celebs left who aren't mega rapists or abusers? I think Jeff "Whammy Bar" Shredder may be the only one left

Old 09-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #13
Shallowed
Braindead

Billy's rhetoric has always been largely incomprehensible

Old 09-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

ur dad's rectum has always been largely impenetrable

Old 09-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

on the topic of prison terms for convicted sexual predators, is there a cliff's notes-like, fact-based explainer that someone can point me to of why bill "guilty as fuck" cosby was released from prison?

Old 09-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #16
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

He had a verbal agreement that if he testified in a civil trial against him it couldn't be used against him in criminal court. The DA agreed to this because he didn't think there was enough evidence to win in criminal court and at least the victims could get something from the ordeal this way. He could have refused to testify otherwise, although in civil court (unlike criminal) juries can use refusal to testify to assess guilt, so he maybe would have been found responsible anyway.

The DA that made that deal left and the new one decided to go back on the promise.

On appeal they ruled that he shouldn't have been able to be charged and dismissed it in a way where he can't be charged for the same charges again. When he was convicted his charges were almost at the statute of limitations and it's unlikely there are recent enough charges to file.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #17
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

so the court ruled that the replacement DA should have honored the deal the original DA made with him, and because that didn't happen, they overturned the conviction basically?

holy crap

do we think his legal team are master strategists, and they had him testify a civil trial on the assumption it'd be too juicy for a future DA, who would be unlikely to honor the deal in light of that testimony, etc.? or do we think it's just a whacky combination of circumstances in a chaotic universe that randomly resulted in this?

either way, it seems totally bonkers and i feel like it should have been a much larger part of the national conversation

Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #18
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I've never been clear on why you're allowed to make deals within the justice system (although I've also never actually looked into it)

Like you intentionally murdered someone and the prosecution is like, "We'll let you plead down to second-degree manslaughter and three years instead of 20" -- like as long as we can actually put you behind bars for something, for some amount of time, it doesn't really matter what it is or for how long

Or Epstein's deal to plead guilty locally to soliciting an underage prostitute in Florida in exchange for never ever being prosecuted federally for what he actually did -- like, we all know a lot of money changed hands, but I've never heard the Florida DAs offer any kind of, like, legitimate-sounding justification

I'm conflicted about prison abolition but it's obvious to everyone that the current system is unfixably fucked for many, many more reasons than this plea deal bullshit

Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #19
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

You know who else was a horrible fuckin molester released over a technicality, and also possessed an unreasonable passion for ugly sweaters? Freddy Kruger.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
ur dad's rectum has always been largely impenetrable
his prostate cancer begs to differ

Old 09-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #21
Shallowed
Braindead

lol

Old 09-29-2021, 11:22 PM   #22
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
so the court ruled that the replacement DA should have honored the deal the original DA made with him, and because that didn't happen, they overturned the conviction basically?

holy crap

do we think his legal team are master strategists, and they had him testify a civil trial on the assumption it'd be too juicy for a future DA, who would be unlikely to honor the deal in light of that testimony, etc.? or do we think it's just a whacky combination of circumstances in a chaotic universe that randomly resulted in this?

either way, it seems totally bonkers and i feel like it should have been a much larger part of the national conversation
Yeah, that's what happened re: the DA. I'm sure his legal team was trying to do what was best for him and assumed they could trust the DA's word, which they should have been able to. As much as the whole thing is horse shit and it's a tragedy he's free, verbal agreements are legal and I don't understand how it got brought to trial after that.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I've never been clear on why you're allowed to make deals within the justice system (although I've also never actually looked into it)

Like you intentionally murdered someone and the prosecution is like, "We'll let you plead down to second-degree manslaughter and three years instead of 20" -- like as long as we can actually put you behind bars for something, for some amount of time, it doesn't really matter what it is or for how long

Or Epstein's deal to plead guilty locally to soliciting an underage prostitute in Florida in exchange for never ever being prosecuted federally for what he actually did -- like, we all know a lot of money changed hands, but I've never heard the Florida DAs offer any kind of, like, legitimate-sounding justification

I'm conflicted about prison abolition but it's obvious to everyone that the current system is unfixably fucked for many, many more reasons than this plea deal bullshit
There are many reasons to allow deals.

One is to save money. Some huge trials can cost a lot of money, not to mention when people plea they generally give up their right to appeal.

Another is when it's unclear that a conviction could be achieved otherwise.

Another is to spare the victims the need to testify and relive the trauma.

Another is to get information on other crimes there would otherwise not be proof for. A serial killer admits to other murders, for examples one where bodies have never been found, to give closure to the families, etc.

Lots of times it's a combination of things. A youthful offender with mental issues (but not legal incompetence) shoots someone who they thought was threatening them but there's video that shows they overreacted. So we show leniency to them by giving them involuntary manslaughter, save a boatload by avoiding a trial, and spare the victim's family from a having to watch the video of the murder in court. And the big D Democratic DA gets to show they are sensitive to mental issues w/r/t crime.

I'm not trying to justify just trying to answer the question.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

But generally it is to save money, which is a terrible reason.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:30 PM   #25
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
This is an outlier and just plain and simple corruption.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #26
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I'm not trying to justify just trying to answer the question.
Oh of course, I appreciate the explanation

Had my suspicions about the "we probably can't convince a jury you're guilty" bit, but I hadn't considered the rest

Old 09-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Quote:
You know who else was a horrible fuckin molester released over a technicality, and also possessed an unreasonable passion for ugly sweaters? Freddy Kruger.
Oddly, they would both host tv shows where they provided separate bookends for stories where they generally did not, but occasionally did, appear and participate

This is why Fat Albert and A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Series are often packaged together in box sets

Old 09-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
FoolofaTook

Talking

Quote:
oh teh bolly, you silly goose!