Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #61
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

didn't really like that one. Sounds like an MGMT b-side.

This album is shaping up to be a bit of a dud. Oh well. They still have the prerequisite three perfect albums behind them. I'll still give it a shot when it comes out, but I don't think I'm going to purchase it (as I have all their other albums).

Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 AM   #62
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
But do you actually like the whole Reflektor album from front to back? I like Reflektor (the song) and a handful of others, but I find the album as a whole to be quite the slog.
Yeah, this. Could have made for a really radical single disc album, but it did NOT need to be a double disc deal. I could have cut a few off of Suburbs too.

Just got the new one today, despite reviews being NOT warm. Weird to see most major outlets dump all over it.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #63
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm more excited about the new National, although I don't know if I could like anything more than I loved the last album
This. That's my only fear with this new National record. The last one was just SO damn good, maybe even my favorite one, period. I like "The System Only Dreams..." but it doesn't blow me away.

Regardless: I guess to bring it back to the topic at hand, I preordered the National record on blind faith but did not choose to do so with the Arcade Fire one. There's something to be said in that about my faith in the bands' abilities, I guess.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #64
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
This. That's my only fear with this new National record. The last one was just SO damn good, maybe even my favorite one, period. I like "The System Only Dreams..." but it doesn't blow me away.

Regardless: I guess to bring it back to the topic at hand, I preordered the National record on blind faith but did not choose to do so with the Arcade Fire one. There's something to be said in that about my faith in the bands' abilities, I guess.
Alligator ––> Boxer ––> High Violet ––> Trouble Will Find Me

that is honestly an incredible 4 album run.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #65
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I was at the supermarket the other day and the single from this album was on the PA and it just fit perfectly, sounded like the kinda unchallenging straightforward pap that gets played on a supermarket PA, which - and remind me if i'm remembering this wrong cause it *was* 13 years ago Funeral debuted - I feel like was at one point exactly not the point of Arcade Fire at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #66
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I want to say that this album sucks fux and is the worst AAA recording of the year by far, and yet

"Electric Blue" is 1 of the sadprettyist bits of glorious synthgasm I've heard in a life of many synthjobs; id put it up there with "Drive" by the Cars as exemplary of the special holiness of pop music which, done right, can make u cry every tiem

And all the other shit I wanna hate ("chemistry" and "infinite content" especially) are stuck fast in my head and slowly winning me over

I have a feeling the album is deeper than it appears and will take a lot of time to digest, yet I'm simultaneously maddened and impatient to answer the pressing question Is Any of this Actually Good????

Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream

checking this album out now. it's quite disappointing.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #68
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I kinda forget this album came out and never checked out the whole thing.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #69
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

See also: The Killers

Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #70
Cool As Ice Cream

why would anyone ever check out the killers?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #71
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
checking this album out now. it's quite disappointing.
I tried to listen to it last week and couldn't get through it. I found myself skipping forward through a lot of songs.

Very disappointing

Old 10-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #72
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
why would anyone ever check out the killers?
Because they made two really good albums 10+ years ago.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #73
Cool As Ice Cream

i don't think so!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #74
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Can confirm after giving it waaaaaayyyy too generous a chance that this album is utter garbage. Title track and lectric blue are Just Ok, the rest is not just bland but aggressively, disturbingly horrible, especially when u stop, scratch your mind, and really consider that the band that produced THE FUCKING SUBURBS made this

Oh well, even great bands get to have duds, but they better really reign it in and get back to fucking work if they're gonna keep me on board after this abomination

Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #75
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I still maintain that the average good/great band is only good/great for three albums. If they make it beyond that, great, but I kind of check out once bands hit this phase that Arcade Fire are in.

Funeral, Neon Bible, Suburbs. Fuck it, what else do we really need from this band?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #76
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Funeral is a pretty good album.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #77
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
I still maintain that the average good/great band is only good/great for three albums. If they make it beyond that, great, but I kind of check out once bands hit this phase that Arcade Fire are in.

Funeral, Neon Bible, Suburbs. Fuck it, what else do we really need from this band?
so you're the guy who went "yeah man, but i just wish it had some riffs and wicked guitars on it" when Adore came out?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #78
redbreegull

Quote:

Reflektor is really good though, and if the whole album were as solid as the second half, it would be a contender for their best

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #79
redbreegull

The new one just really sucks. It's hard to understand what the fuck they were thinking. It's been a long time since a band I "trusted" to put out good albums put out a flopper this floppy

Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #80
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The new one just really sucks. It's hard to understand what the fuck they were thinking. It's been a long time since a band I "trusted" to put out good albums put out a flopper this floppy
The fanbase has various theories that boil down to "no but it's bad on purpose" "it's supposed to make you feel empty/nauseous b/c TRUMP" "etc."

But whatever; it just sux fux to listen to, and I can't say I'll ever be returning to it. Already sick of the two decent tracks.

Fucken bummed, I'm seeing them next week and if the setlist is heavy on "chemistry" and fucking "Peter pan" I might have to peace out early. Not sure it'll be worth suffering through the murk just to hear "wake up" for the 1,000,0000,0000,0000 time

Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #81
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Reflektor is really good though, and if the whole album were as solid as the second half, it would be a contender for their best
Meh, we've had this discussion before. Reflektor is just OK as an album. Four or five outstanding songs out of, like, 17, do not a good album make.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #82
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
so you're the guy who went "yeah man, but i just wish it had some riffs and wicked guitars on it" when Adore came out?
No, but I did ask for more turntables and was sadly disappointed.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #83
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I was 14 when Adore came out and was super bummed it didn't sound like Eye or TEITBITE. I didn't like much beyond Daphne.

It wasn't until I grew up that I started appreciating it, but I do find it a bit of a chore to listen through at times, and the quality is all over the map.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #84
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Ugh, you guys made me discuss SP on here. I hate you.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #85
FoolofaTook

Kid A > OK Computer

Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #86
redbreegull

Quote:
Meh, we've had this discussion before. Reflektor is just OK as an album. Four or five outstanding songs out of, like, 17, do not a good album make.
yeah it's not solid but the album is 13 tracks and half of them are amazing.

this album has zero good songs IMO, although I will try it at least one more time. FTR, I don't believe the Suburbs is as amazing as a lot of people either. Funeral and Neon Bible are concise and every track is essential. The Suburbs is 16 songs long and could stand to lose 3-4 for sure.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #87
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah. Funeral and Neon Bible are amazing. Suburbs and Reflektor have some really great songs but imho aren't quite as good as albums.

I really like Electric Blue and We Don't Deserve Love. I enjoy Everything Now (the song) too. Not sure about the rest yet.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #88
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Funeral and Neon Bible are definitely better than suburbs and as albums are arguably perfect. Even when he sobs AND I DON WANALIV IN AMURICA NO MO i just giggle a bit yet remain firmly rooting for their odd gospel punk, their old-timey stomp n pomp about the living room scrappiness, throughout

But suburbs does something to my heart/butt that the others don't. It's like puro liquid nostalgia dropper'd mL a time down my earholes, conjures mad images growing up very slowly on a deadend street in a crummy whiteflight strip mall

Whereas, tbh, they started to lose me at reflektor; felt like a band spinning itself out of ideas/identity

And now everything now which is the actual sound of arcade fire evaporating into disparate molecules in an ocean of plain/cold oatmeal universes

Last edited by run2pee : 10-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #89
FoolofaTook

Heart/butt

lol this guy

Old 12-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #90
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

So I finally gave this thing a full spin and...

I didn't dislike it. It's definitely the least of their albums so far, but it's pretty OK background music with a few bright spots. I didn't find anything I actively hated or disliked in particular.