Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #31
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't know about MTAE, people may be attempting to make it part of TGBK in hindsight.... but Oceania 100% was described as being part of it by the artist before during and after. It has always been part of TGBK.

I'm not saying it's not bullshit, but you're wrong. It's an "album within an album." It was done the way it was so he could release a real album and get publicity and make money and go on a tour I'm sure while saving face and walking away from the earlier concept. But you're still wrong.
"the artist" ??

Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #32
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I've never bought the "album within an album" claim. I don't think anyone, Bill included, could

a) Describe how the tgbk songs work in terms of the supposed "fool's journey" theme
b) Describe how Oceania fits into it

He was just spit-balling the whole way through and lost interest when he realized nobody cared

I'd say the Machina reissue was the biggest broken promise - notwithstanding control of that may be out of his hands - because there are people who do care about that and still hope to see it come out.

Or maybe the Metro DVD considering how long that's been strung along

Last edited by Shadaloo : 06-06-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo derp

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #33
Crepe
Demi-God

Posted twice, my b

Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #34
Crepe
Demi-God

''STEREOGUM: Are these at all related to Teargarden By Kaleidyscope or is that project on hold now?

CORGAN: To me, Day For Night is the end of the Teargarden project.

STEREOGUM: So it’s the EPs, Oceania, and these two will conclude it?

CORGAN: Yeah, but there’s also like 60 demos or something that are unreleased songs. I mean, there’s a lot of songs where I went in for an hour and I did a quick demo and I don’t like the song. But there’s some really quality stuff in there, maybe not as finished as I’d like. When I do what we’ll call the Teargarden box set someday, the hope is to put all that stuff together. Because, as I said at the beginning of the Teargarden project, I looked at it like, OK, I’m going to take this journey, and when this journey is over — which it now will be with Day For Night —

http://www.stereogum.com/1698954/ins...s/interview/3/

Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #35
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I unironically enjoy Tom Tom

Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #36
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Its like promising to shit in someones hat 44 times and only doing it 10 times. yes it's a broken promise but either way their hat is full of shit. so who cares who cares !

it's only kind of interesting if you pretend (??) Billy had a stroke and was doing rehab via writing and recording songs

Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #37
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

The above post is the most mentally unhinged thing I've read in a long time on here and I 100% support it

Also can we revisit fuzzyroes's initial assertion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes
He surprisingly took very little crap for [TBK].
And just rag for a while on how brainmeltingly wrong a statement that is

Old 06-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
He said Oceania was part of TGBK before the album came out, he made a big deal about it. I don't ever recall him saying anything about MTAE being part of teargarden. In fact, I thought the MTAE/DFAN combo was supposed to show everyone he was abandoning the old project and starting something new
No he said it at least once.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #39
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I like a good bit of it. Song For a Son has that awesome solo, plus it was released the day my second son was born so if has extra resonance.

Freak and Astral Planes are also good, and Lightning Strikes is really close to being great. Owata is really good too, and should've been the last song on Oceania.

As for not finishing it, I was disappointed not to continue getting free MP3s but I suppose that doesn't really matter in the era of streaming. I'm the opposite now - I like the get the vinyl of something I'm really into.

It would've been interesting to see where TBK was going to go, but I think he needed a stronger band behind him to really make it work

Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #40
Bat Strat Dude
Amish Rake Fighter

The biggest broken promise is the fake reunion, instead of the real thing.

What bugs me so much is that it seems like he didn't really even try to make it happen...

Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
I unironically enjoy Tom Tom
Me too, top tier bill if you ask me

That and Dorian are the ONLY two tbgkbrtbk trax i continue to bump in my ride

Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #42
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Especially olive it when he goes HERE COMEZ THE MUFFIN MAN

Old 06-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #43
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
"the artist" ??
I'm responding to people basically saying "I know he said it is part of teargarden but I don't consider it so"

like yeah we know it's bullshit but Billy Corgan is the artist, so he kind of does get to decide, not fuzzyroes

Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

Freak and Astral Planes are also good, and Lightning Strikes is really close to being great. Owata is really good too, and should've been the last song on Oceania.
Wtf are you on?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I'm responding to people basically saying "I know he said it is part of teargarden but I don't consider it so"

like yeah we know it's bullshit but Billy Corgan is the artist, so he kind of does get to decide, not fuzzyroes
He also said it was absolutely groundbreaking and “good”. This is a guy who is consistently wrong about every single aspect of his music, other people’s music, dressing appropriately for ones weight and life in general so quite frankly I don’t care one jot about what he said about his shit album

Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
Wtf are you on?
Joy.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #47
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

The press release for Oceania

Quote:
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS will release their new album, "Oceania", on June 19 via EMI Label Services/Caroline distribution.

Produced by THE SMASHING PUMPKINS' frontman Billy Corgan, "Oceania" is an intense and dynamic offering that will appeal to new and existing fans of THE SMASHING PUMPKINS alike. "Oceania", the band's seventh studio record, is "an album within an album," part of their 44-song work-in-progress "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope".

Peter Katsis, manager of SMASHING PUMPKINS for Prospect Park, stated: "THE SMASHING PUMPKINS created 'Oceania' as an album experience, and it is intended for the process of the release to follow a path of inclusion, so that best efforts are made for all the fans hear it at the same time as press or radio. We were excited to find partners in EMI Label Services that were equally passionate about the plan for the album release as well as being huge fans of the PUMPKINS."

The album is the band's first recorded effort with their new line-up, which now features Mike Byrne on drums, Nicole Fiorentino on bass and Jeff Schroeder on guitar.

In December last year, Corgan insisted that 'Oceania' was the band's strongest offering since 1995's 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness'.

"Oceania" track listing:

01. Quasar
02. Panopticon
03. The Celestials
04. Violet Rays
05. My Love Is Winter
06. One Diamond, One Heart
07. Pinwheels
08. Oceania
09. Pale Horse
10. The Chimera
11. Glissandra
12. Inkless
13. Wildflower
The press release for Monuments to an Elegy

Quote:
The Smashing Pumpkins have revealed the first single, Being Beige, from their forthcoming album, MONUMENTS TO AN ELEGY, set for December 09 release via Universal Music Canada, the country’s leading music company. Monuments to an Elegy is available for pre-order starting today: iTunes / Pledge / Amazon CD / Amazon LP. Monuments to an Elegy marks the iconic alternative band’s eighth studio album and is the follow-up to their 2012 critically acclaimed album Oceania. The new album was recorded in Chicago with Smashing Pumpkins guitarist Jeff Schroeder, who’s been in the band since 2007. Playing drums throughout is Tommy Lee. The album was produced by Howard Willing (who first worked with the Pumpkins on the Adore sessions), Corgan and Schroeder. It was mixed by David Bottrill and mastered by Howie Weinberg, who did the same honours for Pumpkins classics in the '90s. Monuments to an Elegy is ‘an album within an album,’ part of their ongoing work-in-progress Teargarden By Kaleidyscope (with Day For Night as the project’s last work). Formed in Chicago in 1988, The Smashing Pumpkins have created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history, having sold more than 30 million albums and won multiple Grammy Awards in the process. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. In June 2012, the band released the critically acclaimed album Oceania, which debuted at #1 on the Canadian Alternative album chart (#4 Overall); and Rolling Stone hailed it as one of the best albums of the year. Their 1998 album Adore saw a 107-track reissue in 2014 and 2000's Machina/The Machines of God will be reissued in 2015.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #48
fuzzyroes
Banned

The Teargarden plan was that every song would be released for free and that there would be 44 songs and 11 4 song E.P.'s based on tarot cards.

Releasing standard albums while not releasing them for free in any way has nothing to do with Teargarden. IF Oash and MTAE were actually in the Teargarden series, they'd be labeled as such on the cover or the packaging like the 2 E.P.'s.

That really is the smoking gun I think. And really why would EMI wanna tie the album to a failed project that was universally ripped on? I forget the company that got the EP's out to retail, but why would EMI wanna associate with a totally different manufacturer? This idea that some independent manufacturer is going to release half of a project and EMI the other half is absurd. A major label isn't gonna do shit like that.

Oceania and Monuments To An Elegy ARE NOT a part of Teargarden.

Plain and simple.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 06-06-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

obviously they are not, people are tying to tell you that BC says they are and ultimately he is the artist so it's his say. but yeah, obviously he actually abandoned the format.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #50
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm just surprised by how many people online consider Oash and MTAE to be a part of this big sprawling series.

Ultimately, Billy can say whatever he wants to avoid criticism, but I don't see how he could even make the argument when there's no mention of Teargarden on those actual releases. It actually shows a lot about his character that he feels the need to keep going on with a bullshit facade, in order to try and save face.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #51
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Totally Billy saving face.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #52
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, it initially sounded like such an epic and fun project and it sorta got people off of the trip of Jimmy leaving the band. I suppose that was the intention all along, but when he made the announcement I sorta assumed like he had his ducks in a row and was in a position to roll it all out but I sincerely think that he made the announcement without having any music or strategy prepared at all.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #53
fuzzyroes
Banned

I can't think of any other major band that spouts prolific plans without following through. It really makes him look like an imbecile.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #54
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
#1 on the Canadian Alternative album chart
fffffuuuuuuccccckkk

Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #55
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The Teargarden plan was that every song would be released for free and that there would be 44 songs and 11 4 song E.P.'s based on tarot cards.

Releasing standard albums while not releasing them for free in any way has nothing to do with Teargarden. IF Oash and MTAE were actually in the Teargarden series, they'd be labeled as such on the cover or the packaging like the 2 E.P.'s.

That really is the smoking gun I think. And really why would EMI wanna tie the album to a failed project that was universally ripped on? I forget the company that got the EP's out to retail, but why would EMI wanna associate with a totally different manufacturer? This idea that some independent manufacturer is going to release half of a project and EMI the other half is absurd. A major label isn't gonna do shit like that.

Oceania and Monuments To An Elegy ARE NOT a part of Teargarden.

Plain and simple.
You're absolutely right. Oceania and Monuments to an Elegy have absolutely nothing to do thematically or musicially with the Teargarden concept, or the project as it was initially conceived. That being said, you asked if Billy consistently treated those two albums as part of Teargarden during their conception. The answer to that was yes.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #56
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I think "the reunion" is the biggest lie / broken promise