Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #61
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

it's really not that crazy a comparison except kanye brings it

Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #62
dodoz
Demi-God

Watch out, this might be a shock to some of you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UMLb8OjXU&t=18m40s

Be aware that Kurt said everything and its opposite at some point of his career.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
I think U2 was the biggest band in the world at the time
REM

Old 12-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean i guess u2 has been really truly the biggest band in the world now since the 80s

Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #65
dodoz
Demi-God

OK, to the lazy ones who don't want to listen :

"Kurt : There are a few rebellious, rock n'roll qualities Guns n' Roses have that I kinda like.
-Do you ever see yourselves play wit bands like that ?
Kurt : Yeah ! Yeah...We're thinking about going on tour with Guns n' Roses for a couple of weeks, just for the hell of it. Cos it would be a ridiculous thing, just so funny. If you have the chance, go for it, it's not a career move necessarily, it's just it'd be funny. We'd never have to worry about meeting the band or anything cos they never hang around each other anyhow. It'd just be kind of a thrill to play in front of so many people, it'd be like a joke".

Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #66
null123
Minion of Satan

There are no Kurt Kurbane fans here in Billy Corgans house

Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #67
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Fuck a U2 and Grohl's old project.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #68
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
you used to be cool when you weren't calling me a homophobe and a bigot every time you said something to me.
Good point.

Dude, we know you are a Mormon. We know about your views on gay people. You must be delighted Nicole isn't in the band now, right?

Last edited by Kahlo : 12-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #69
Saih
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodstainedJar View Post
I love how Corgan calls out Vedder for making something about himself. Oh, the irony.

Interesting though that he reveres Kurt as the most talented artist of the era. I mean, I have great respect for Cobain; the guy's music was awesome and clearly influential. But I never really saw him as being particularly talented, at least not when you compare him to other artists who were so far ahead of him from a technical standpoint. As a guitarist, he had nothing on Corgan, Kim Thayil, Mike McCready, Jerry Cantrell, Dean DeLeo, etc. As a vocalist and songwriter, I'd say he was on par with Layne Staley and Cantrell, Scott Weiland, Eddie Vedder. I'd say Chris Cornell blows them all away in terms of pure vocals, and Corgan was the best from a pure songwriting standpoint.
Jeff Buckley was arguably the best vocalist of his period and could probably match any of them instrumentally.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #70
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

but he wasn't the best swimmer

Old 12-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #71
slunken
Virgo

Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #72
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
but he wasn't the best swimmer

On a related note Pearl Jam fucking suck.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #73
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.independent.co.uk/incomin...ly_Corgan1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
top 2 scribes you aint gotta remind me
top 2 scribes you gotta rewind me
im high up on the line you can get behind me
but my head so big and bald you can't sit behind me

Old 12-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #74
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
. Funny, SP opened for GNR in like 92' and got booed.
So did NIN.

what this shows is GNR fans had a knack for not knowing what was relevant. I mean 2 to 3 years later both SP and NIN would be among the biggest bands in the world.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

axl was the one hip on the new stuff while the rest of the band pretty much wanted to be aerosmith

Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #76
Elphenor
Braindead

Axl has the most annoying voice jesus christ that band suckedddd

Old 12-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #77
null123
Minion of Satan

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content...xlfashion1.jpg

Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #78
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Is that from when Vogue tried to capitalize on "grunge fashion"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGUE
Why Kurt Cobain Was One of the Most Influential Style Icons of Our Times
http://www.vogue.com/aq_resizer/?url...gle=1&upscale=

Such a shit filled shameless industry.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #79
FoolofaTook

y does teh b0llz call himself a scribe? wouldn't bard be apter?

Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #80
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes, yes it would.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #81
FoolofaTook

o yah and the best band of the 90s was burzum

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #82
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I remember watching GnR concerts on tv as a kid, and my brother teasing me about my "seeing dick addiction."
really I was way too young for anything like that, and just found it hilarious to see him perform in his underwear. (and I loved his voice.)

Old 12-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #83
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol belt.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #84
Cool As Ice Cream

Talking

Quote:
I'm not trying to bring attention to my religious or political views here...........I'm just tired of Juliana's airheaded, intellectual-lemming, leftist mob-mentality bullshit. She thinks she's really got it figured out that she feels she can demonize good people, with impunity, for their religious/social/political views, and she's really just projecting her own intolerance and inane understanding. It'd be nice if she'd suck it up and be cool again, but I'm gonna guess she's probably too petty and proud for that. I've suffered it passively for awhile, this is the first time I'm finally letting the bombs drop. I don't care if she disagrees with me on stuff, I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship, but she has no basis for such attacks on my character - if she wants to start a feud, I'm not gonna be passive anymore.

I think Nicole was a good fit for the band, good vocals, good bass parts that stood out, good image. That being said, I didn't like how she constantly used her position as a political pedestal about stuff she often only knew surface details about, I didn't like how she sucked up to Billy and was too much of a careerist (not blaming her for trying to make a career, just saying she didn't seem totally "in" to the artistic process with her heart at times) and she also instigated a whole lot of pointless drama with me back on the o-board because she doesn't quite live up to her own ideals - and also shot first asked questions later.

I have some mixed feelings about her being gone due to her good qualities, and also with how Billy took the time to painstakingly rebuild the image of "a band" as a unit that tried to represent the essence of SP - but yeah, I'm mostly glad she is gone. It's a relief that someone is gone from the band who was a point of conflict and contention with me. Too bad though, we could have interacted on much friendlier terms. I know I extended the olive branch to her but I just got coldness in return. I'm one of the little people, after all.
lolololo

Old 12-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #85
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Belt should buy us all a round of frostys

Old 12-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #86
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by croPUMPKINS View Post
let's make things clear.

Guns N Roses were the biggest band on the planet 91-93,
However, top 3 were undoubtly Guns N Roses, Nirvana and Metallica.

Followed by U2, Bon Jovi and Pearl Jam.

Everything else is use your illusion.

Odd, U2 biggest album EVER couldn't place them among top 3, yet they sold just as much then and are the biggest band now 20 years later that they hadn't recorded a decent record.

Today was a hit, but Pumpkins couldn't sell out an Arena even US before MCIS.
Check size venues they played before and after MCIS.

In Europe they played aftrenoon shows on mediocre fetivals until 1996.
100% agree.

SP was really big just in 1996 and 1997. All the others years there was always bigger guys!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #87
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Very true but that doesn't align with Billy's attempts to reframe history. He's on a mission here trying to rebuild his legacy and create a mythos for the new generation.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #88
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
I'm not trying to bring attention to my religious or political views here...........I'm just tired of Juliana's airheaded, intellectual-lemming, leftist mob-mentality bullshit. She thinks she's really got it figured out that she feels she can demonize good people, with impunity, for their religious/social/political views, and she's really just projecting her own intolerance and inane understanding. It'd be nice if she'd suck it up and be cool again, but I'm gonna guess she's probably too petty and proud for that. I've suffered it passively for awhile, this is the first time I'm finally letting the bombs drop. I don't care if she disagrees with me on stuff, I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship, but she has no basis for such attacks on my character - if she wants to start a feud, I'm not gonna be passive anymore.

I think Nicole was a good fit for the band, good vocals, good bass parts that stood out, good image. That being said, I didn't like how she constantly used her position as a political pedestal about stuff she often only knew surface details about, I didn't like how she sucked up to Billy and was too much of a careerist (not blaming her for trying to make a career, just saying she didn't seem totally "in" to the artistic process with her heart at times) and she also instigated a whole lot of pointless drama with me back on the o-board because she doesn't quite live up to her own ideals - and also shot first asked questions later.

I have some mixed feelings about her being gone due to her good qualities, and also with how Billy took the time to painstakingly rebuild the image of "a band" as a unit that tried to represent the essence of SP - but yeah, I'm mostly glad she is gone. It's a relief that someone is gone from the band who was a point of conflict and contention with me. Too bad though, we could have interacted on much friendlier terms. I know I extended the olive branch to her but I just got coldness in return. I'm one of the little people, after all.
wowzers

Old 12-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #89
slunken
Virgo

Record music and voice >>

Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #90
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by croPUMPKINS View Post
let's make things clear.

Guns N Roses were the biggest band on the planet 91-93,
However, top 3 were undoubtly Guns N Roses, Nirvana and Metallica.

Followed by U2, Bon Jovi and Pearl Jam.

Everything else is use your illusion.

Odd, U2 biggest album EVER couldn't place them among top 3, yet they sold just as much then and are the biggest band now 20 years later that they hadn't recorded a decent record.

Today was a hit, but Pumpkins couldn't sell out an Arena even US before MCIS.
Check size venues they played before and after MCIS.

In Europe they played aftrenoon shows on mediocre fetivals until 1996.
If you care to argue it in numbers and not relevance, i gave it my best shot.

First of all Achtung baby isn't U2s biggest record ever, that's Joshua Tree (25 millions). Zoo TV tour was the highest grossing tour of 1992 (and 6th highest of the 90s, a list on which neither GNR or Metallica is in the top ten, and U2's popmart tour is actually higher on that list than Zoo tv both in money an attendance...). Beating Metallica (yep, not GNR but GNR had notorious problems with touring..) which came in second. The tour made more money and had more attendance than the Metallica tour on less dates.

Record wise however, GNR and Metallica outsold U2 at least at first. Gnr Use your Illusion II sold over 770 000 in it first week. Metallica, 650 000, U2, 290 000... however, 3 months after release AB had sold 7 millions putting the average numbers at about 580 000 copies a week for its first 12 weeks. Something i doubt GNR ever got close to considering UYI II's final sales TODAY are about 9 millions, and about the same for UYI I. Achtung baby entered the charts at no1 and was fifth by the end of 1992 (over a year after release). Metallica's black album entered at no1 too and was 7th by the end of that year. GNR use you illusion I peaked at no 2, UYI II entered at no 1, no idea where it ended at the end of the year.

Use your illusion II was No.1 in 5 countries. Black album, 8. Achtung baby, 6.

of course in the long run, nobody will deny that Black ALbum is the most successful album of all these 3. It is one of the ten records to have spent the longest time on the billboard for one and today has sold 30 million copies. U2s Achtung Baby, about 18 millions. The sale of UYI I and II combined about equal to AB.

So U2 might or might not have been bigger than Metallica in 1992-1993. It depends what you look at, but they were DEFINITELY top 3. In fact, top 2.

Nirvana's numbers? Well at their peak the record sold 300 000 a week. It reached no1 in 3 countries. Today it has sold 30 millions of course but that's different. Their tour doesn't even come close in numbers to the ones by GNR Metallica or U2. Nirvana is different though, nobody expected this record to be a hit. Less than 100 000 were originally shipped....

Now if you take all these records TODAY and consider which is the most important, then Nevermind wins by a rather long shot so Cobain was defintiely one of the top "scribes" of the 90's. AB was U2's reinvention and at that they succeeded very well considering how most bands who attempt such changes usually fall flat on their faces but it is pretty dated today since it was very much an album of its time. UYI was never as good as Appetite and certainly hasn't aged very well either (but then again no record with that kind of 80's cheesy hard rock blues soloes has). Black Album , asise from being a strong metal record, is probably still important as the prime example of how to make metal palatable to the masses even if a record of the sort could never have that kind of success today.

There is no doubt that U2's marketing was always very good at convincing people they're the biggest band in the world whether the record sales back it or not but i think in 1992-1993, it kinda was. Their tours always back the claim anyway. U2 360 is the highest grossing tour of all time. Vertigo tour, no 6. Basically since Joshua tree tour, their tours have consistently made more money.... (Actually now that i think of it, basically since their very first tour their tours have consistently made more money...)

Last edited by The exploding boy : 12-06-2014 at 09:39 PM.