Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Default The New Album

http://bystarlight.org/news/the-smas...ew-album-2013/

Is it going to be a double album? A "darker" one, as quoted? What do you expect from it?
Will it be a greater successor than 'Oceania'?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

"Your vote for this thread has been added."

Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I heard Billy is going KPop on it (Kazoo Pop)

Old 08-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

"I pooped my pants. I ate too much corn."

http://social--intercourse.blogspot....much-corn.html

Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Ram27
dumb

Don't give a shit what it is; I can't take anything they do seriously with Mike there.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Don't give a shit what it is; I can't take anything they do seriously with Mike there.
So people are basically only interested in the reissues here? That's pretty sad. For Corgan.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

I'm torn between being pissed at Billy and feeling sorry for him.

I hope Jimmy does some more stuff. I'd be equally excited to see a drum clinic of his on youtube as getting a new SP song.

Goddammit why couldn't I get into the band earlier.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

http://makeameme.org/media/created/S...-to-s4qk5h.jpg

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Shallowed
Braindead

I think this album will be an album.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

It's probably gonna have songs on it, since SP albums typically have songs on them.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
It's probably gonna have songs on it, since SP albums typically have songs on them.
Woah, woah, woah. Don't get ahead of yourself. The next album might just be a spoken word re-release of Blinking With Fists.
The hit poetry collection from the creative force behind The Smashing Pumpkins

Having risen to fame during the grunge era in the early nineties, Billy Corgan is among the most respected figures of the alternative rock world—a visionary artist who, more than a decade later, still commands a devoted following. Long admired for his evocative songwriting, Corgan embarks on a deeper exploration of literary terrain as a poet. Full of “the regretful melancholy of his music [and] the rhythmic, angular wordplay of his best Pumpkins lyrics” (Jeff Vrabel, Chicago Sun-Times), the poems in this collection form an imagistic journey through the intensely personal as Corgan throws into sharp relief issues of love, loss, identity, and loyalty. Crafted with a thoughtful and cadenced approach that shares the same allegiance to thunder and quiet found in his music, these writings further solidify Corgan’s place as the voice of a generation.
It would be, as Billy has said before, absolutely groundbreaking. As in, the shovel absolutely breaking the ground.

As in digging a grave.

For his career.

His career is dead. Just wanted to make sure that was clear to everyone.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
z e r o
Pledge

The first album is definitely better than the first album

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm tentatively optimistic. Oceania really surprised me. Of course after a few weeks, I was tired of it and felt I had gleaned everything I could from it, which of course was disappointing because the classic albums still offer up new things to me from time to time, after a decade of listening... but it was so much better than the earlier teargarden songs, it was shocking when it came out.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

All Billy talks about is how Oceania has been received better than anything the Pumpkins have done since the mid-90s.

And I just laugh, and ask, "Who fucking thinks this?"

It's been Billy's failed attempt at trying to generate fake buzz.

I see this second album being about the same... ho-hum, with an interesting track, maybe two, and a lot of Billy pretending that everyone loves it, and that his grand plan of moving on without Jimmy and James was right all along.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
And I just laugh, and ask, "Who fucking thinks this?"

It's been Billy's failed attempt at trying to generate fake buzz.
untrue, you are viewing the album through the lens of a "tr00 fan." It was basically acclaimed by most critical outlets as being their best effort since Mellon Collie.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

The average listener that's only heard SD and MCIS and thinks everything from Adore onwards is shit has been positive about Oceania.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
redbreegull

My attitude is probably indicative of what most people on Netphoria feel about Oceania: mediocre album with some compelling songs, a few real clunkers, totally boring after a few listens. However, I think most of us also agree it was an enormous leap forward from the previous Teargarden material.

Shallowed is correct though, I think the average rock listener out there would find Oceania far more palatable than anything since MCIS. And the critics agree. I mean, fucking shitty ass Rolling Stone gave Oceania a higher rating than they gave MCIS 17 years earlier

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #18
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
My attitude is probably indicative of what most people on Netphoria feel about Oceania: mediocre album with some compelling songs, a few real clunkers, totally boring after a few listens. However, I think most of us also agree it was an enormous leap forward from the previous Teargarden material.

Shallowed is correct though, I think the average rock listener out there would find Oceania far more palatable than anything since MCIS. And the critics agree. I mean, fucking shitty ass Rolling Stone gave Oceania a higher rating than they gave MCIS 17 years earlier
Not to nitpick, but I looked it up and they gave both 3/5 stars. However, part of the reasoning Mellon Collie was downgraded was the reviewer found the lyrics to be weak.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Not to nitpick, but I looked it up and they gave both 3/5 stars. However, part of the reasoning Mellon Collie was downgraded was the reviewer found the lyrics to be weak.
whatever man, makes no difference, the point stands that it is beyond retarded to give those albums the same rating. it's even more beyond retarded to only give mellon collie 3/5