Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #661
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
okay let me rephrase - is this the first narcissistic artist with a bit of both (fame and power) we encounter?

I just don't fully understand how any of this is

a) different from what he's done for a long, long time

b) different from what people in similar positions do day in day out.

a) and b) doesn't make it any prettier, just you know...
Fair enough. Where it's interesting to me is the extent to which Billy has been successful at gaslighting the public over the years and keeping people like Darcy quiet. I think it's really cool and inspiring that she is exposing him

Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #662
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

what I can't wrap my head around - even with arena sell out and everything that came with it - can anyone who frequently purchases tickets in the US for venues like these explain to me how this works please.

- tickets go on sale. at 10:02 customer 21 buys 1 ticket for row D. they pay 129 $.

- at 21:04 customer 1423 buys 1 ticket for row D, for the now reduced price of 99 $.

in my euro-brain, this would lead to the first customer being rightfully pissed off and being entitled to a refund for having paid more for the same product from the same seller on the same day.

some venues dropped the ticket price yesterday, on the first day. so how on earth is that possible without opening themselves up to complaints and refunds?

Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #663
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Fair enough. Where it's interesting to me is the extent to which Billy has been successful at gaslighting the public over the years and keeping people like Darcy quiet. I think it's really cool and inspiring that she is exposing him
oh yes. I am in group therapy here after all. the extent how much I fell for part of it makes therapy necessary!

as for D'arcy, I don't even see it really as exposing - he didn't really hide it. it just shows how one person being the only one with fame, and money, and power - and behind the banner SP - can lead to a narrative that simply sticks.

the reactions to her doing nothing but talk and that ONCE after 20 years - and that not even half as low or slanderous as he has done about almost everyone that ever worked with him - remind me of the comedians who were on the road with Louis CK. and then their career ended. and what they got when they dared to open their mouth ONCE, was nothing but shit. funny how that goes...

(still waiting for Nicole to test her NDA out and spill how her getting fired went down...)

Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #664
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

If the tour doesn't sell well, will bolly rage quit halfway through and blame it on "family issues"???

Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #665
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
okay let me rephrase - is this the first narcissistic artist with a bit of both (fame and power) we encounter?

I just don't fully understand how any of this is

a) different from what he's done for a long, long time

b) different from what people in similar positions do day in day out.

a) and b) doesn't make it any prettier, just you know...
Quote:
oh yes. I am in group therapy here after all. the extent how much I fell for part of it makes therapy necessary!

as for D'arcy, I don't even see it really as exposing - he didn't really hide it. it just shows how one person being the only one with fame, and money, and power - and behind the banner SP - can lead to a narrative that simply sticks.

the reactions to her doing nothing but talk and that ONCE after 20 years - and that not even half as low or slanderous as he has done about almost everyone that ever worked with him - remind me of the comedians who were on the road with Louis CK. and then their career ended. and what they got when they dared to open their mouth ONCE, was nothing but shit. funny how that goes...

(still waiting for Nicole to test her NDA out and spill how her getting fired went down...)
I can't tell if you're postive rep is sarcastic but thanks haha

Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #666
pavementtune

not at all sarcastic, no.

If this attempt to get over the 3rd death of some of my favorite music doesn't work, I will have to pay someone (aka a counselor) to listen to my pissed off rants.
because nobody irl would listen to "oh boy this sucks so much, can I tell you what Corgan is doing now...?!" for more than 10 seconds.

For one I really regret that I got married to a sp song. So I flip flop between wahwahwahIamsad and getthefuckoveritthisispathetic. even within 3 minutes, it's fascinating.

Since I would like to avoid seeing a counselor for it since that breaks even my pathetic-scale, I am simply using netphoria for it!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #667
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

DArcy: "he never would let me sing Daydream, because people were always screaming for me to sing that, and it drove him nuts. Finally one night he says, ‘Well what if she doesn’t want to sing it?’ I glared at him, and when we got off stage I was like, ‘If you ever fucking speak for me again and tell people I don’t want to sing, I will quit. I will walk off, and I will quit right there.’ Asshole.”

Ok so we need a concerted effort to have people at EVERY show on this tour, after a specific song, or at a certain time each night, to chant for them to play "Daydream". That would be so awesome. This has to be formally organized. Who's with me!

Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #668
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:

For one I really regret that I got married to a sp song. So I flip flop between wahwahwahIamsad and getthefuckoveritthisispathetic. even within 3 minutes, it's fascinating.

Since I would like to avoid seeing a counselor for it since that breaks even my pathetic-scale, I am simply using netphoria for it!
so funny. Because I feel similar. I was so obsessed with SP in my youth, and I still am in awe of the greatness of the music now at 35 years old. The nostalgia is strong. And I want to go see them play this summer...but....ughhhh he's such a douchebag... It's hard to separate the two. I often ask myself "how can someone so defective make such great art." The two are not mutually exclusive obviously.
Anyway, pavement was my other obsession, and its MUCH easier to be a fan of Stephen malkmus. For one, he still writes great music. For 2, he's not an egotistical maniac.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #669
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

There'll probably be some late night TV performances and a single/ep that'll help drive up ticket sales.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #670
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I'm sure, they will play a new song, not just an oldie medley, before the tour start in some TV appearances.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #671
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I have been saying this for years and no one believed me.

Once you get to the Acceptance and Reinvestment stages of the Smashing Pumpkins Grief Cycle, you'll see everyone else is still in Anger.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:49 AM   #672
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

It's amazing how netphoria really is like group therapy for us disillusioned fans. I love you guys! No one else understands

Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #673
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I wonder if they really will add a 2nd Chicago show. Shocked they sold that many tickets in Chicago on day 1.
since he wants to play the arena competition they have to now.

Radiohead added a second Chicago date and a fourth in Madison Square Garden.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #674
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
so funny. Because I feel similar. I was so obsessed with SP in my youth, and I still am in awe of the greatness of the music now at 35 years old. The nostalgia is strong. And I want to go see them play this summer...but....ughhhh he's such a douchebag... It's hard to separate the two. I often ask myself "how can someone so defective make such great art." The two are not mutually exclusive obviously.
Anyway, pavement was my other obsession, and its MUCH easier to be a fan of Stephen malkmus. For one, he still writes great music. For 2, he's not an egotistical maniac.
He still writes great music? hahaha if ever.

I saw them opening for the Pumpkins in 2010/11 in Brazil. God, that was awful.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #675
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
I have been saying this for years and no one believed me.

Once you get to the Acceptance and Reinvestment stages of the Smashing Pumpkins Grief Cycle, you'll see everyone else is still in Anger.
I only read your long therapy post the other day when reprise dug it up. eye opening!

but really I already went through acceptance and reinvestment before, can I cut those 2 out? I don't want to do this a second (or third) time but I honestly do not know how to simply erase what certain music meant for me since puh, god damn 1993. I can't remember how I did it in 2008. I simply didn't listen to any sp music for years, didn't think about it either. I want to know how you can just toss it all out and that's that.

at least my current anger phase is chilling out already, so I guess you get faster every time!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #676
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
All he cares about is jerking off his ego. He's totally Donald Trump.
Wrong Trump can fill venues.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #677
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
http://thehill.com/sites/default/fil...rallyphoto.jpg

Old 02-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #678
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post

Lol I forgot that happened. Billy was still butthurt about Pavement and mentioned it before the gig - about how their reunion was a cashgrab etc.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #679
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
I lied about Minneapolis earlier. Shit ton of floor seats available. Front row even for $545 each.
Crazy they're playing St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #680
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

I really wish these guys well, Billy, Jimmy and James. But they should have definitely brought D'arcy on tour. Did theygive an official and respectful reason as to why D'arcy isn't in the band? Did they address her interview?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #681
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
Crazy they're playing St. Paul and Minneapolis.
You going?

I'm still on the fence. Excell sounds like hot shit but for $30, eh.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #682
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post

Are you kidding me? Now the SP performance at that gig, that was awful. It was at the height of Teargarden where he played Astral Planes and all that shit... Just terrible. Pavement was great though. That show was actually one of the few great pro-shoot Pavement videos that came out at the time. I thought their set was great.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #683
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Are you kidding me? Now the SP performance at that gig, that was awful. It was at the height of Teargarden where he played Astral Planes and all that shit... Just terrible. Pavement was great though. That show was actually one of the few great pro-shoot Pavement videos that came out at the time. I thought their set was great.
Would you rather.

Smashing Pumpkins Brazil 2010

The Fellowship
Lonely Is the Name
Today
Astral Planes
Ava Adore
A Song for a Son
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Tarantula
(Love Gun Kiss' cover)
United States
Spangled
Drown
Shame
Cherub Rock
Zero
SIYL
Tonight, Tonight

Encore:
Heavy Metal Machine

____

Pavement Brazil 2010

Gold Soundz
Grounded
Perfume-V
Stereo
Date With IKEA
Unfair
Shady Lane
Starlings of the Slipstream
Kennel District
Conduit for Sale!
Rattled by the Rush
Heckler Spray
In the Mouth a Desert
Summer Babe
Cut Your Hair
Stop Breathin
Spit on a Stranger
Silence Kid
Box Elder
Range Life
Two States
Here

Old 02-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #684
fuzzyroes
Banned

Haha right? What the hell is that guy even talking about?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #685
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Would honestly take a single performance of "Grounded" over that whole SP set.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #686
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, I remember I was literally watching the live feed of that show as it was happening. I knew Teargarden sucked, but it was the first time that I really realized just how pathetic the touring band had become.

Really, if you guys haven't seen the footage, check it out... It's bad

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-25-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #687
lemonscure
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Well played.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #688
fuzzyroes
Banned

And the shirts gotta be some sorta ironic dig at Pavement for their song 16 years before lol... Goddamn Corgan.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #689
russticles
Demi-God

Quote:
Yeah, I remember I was literally watching the live feed of that show as it was happening. I knew Teargarden sucked, but it was the first time that I really realized just how pathetic the touring band had become.

Really, if you guys haven't seen the footage, check it out... It's bad

Man that is a terrible mix, it's not doing what looks like a pretty drab performance any favours. Also you can hear the click track running in The Fellowship.

I saw this tour, according to this the show I went to marked the live premiere of those 2 songs...
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-s...-33d51c71.html

Mike was using Jimmy Chamberlin's signature snare that tour too

Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #690
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yes, cause you were there.

Pavement was really bad, even the fans didn't enjoy the show. Malkmus played half of the the set with his back to the crowd. They had an extra guy doing some random stuff on stage, so there was a point they had 2 guys people playing the drums... and it sounded like they were playing 2 different songs. It was a mess.

That live feed is really bad, terrible mix.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 02-25-2018 at 08:31 PM.