Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Default Getting Indelible Ink Permanently Applied to the Dermis for Reasons Aesthetic

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo.

I've been thinking of getting the SP heart logo for a while now (yeah, boring), and I know I want it on my arm (kind of a pun on "to wear one's heart on one's sleeve"). Kind of deciding between getting it on my shoulder or on my wrist though.

So, uh, tattoo thread. Talk about your tattoos or tattoos you intend to get or tattoos in general. Do it now.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I know a bunch of folks who got the SP heart inked, never understood a band logo or name tat personally.

also we had a thread with glorious tats somewhere.... pizza and such, never forget!

here it is.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=172095

love SJ's tat, gets my best-ink-on-netpho award.

http://i.imgur.com/UKzks.jpg

Last edited by pavementtune : 07-25-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i wanted to tattoo the SP heart on my wrist or forearm i think when i was in highschool.

oh god i am so grateful that i didn't

Old 07-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I know a bunch of folks who got the SP heart inked, never understood a band logo or name tat personally.

also we had a thread with glorious tats somewhere.... pizza and such, never forget!

here it is.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=172095

love SJ's tat, gets my best-ink-on-netpho award.
Thanks for the link! That's a cool tattoo he's got.

I guess I've never considered getting a band-related tattoo (logos or lyrics or whatever) as in the same league as getting somebody's name or something, but now I can kind of see what you mean. But I guess a couple of my tattoo ideas are tacky like that. I was also thinking of getting a Batman tattoo, like the masthead of the old '40s and '70s comics.

As for other ideas, the rest aren't as fully formed, but they are more just purely decorative, rather than representing brands that other people created that I happen to like. I was thinking of some sort of abstract Art Nouveau-esque floral pattern or something. I've always had a hard-on for early 20th-century art styles like Art Deco and Bauhaus, so maybe I'd get something along those lines, but I don't know what. Something with geometric shapes, maybe.

I also like aesthetics like, I don't know how to explain it... that sort of late 18th century sort of woodcut rustic ornamental look... none of the terms I used to explain it probably mean what I think they mean.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:21 AM   #5
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i wanted to tattoo the SP heart on my wrist or forearm i think when i was in highschool.

oh god i am so grateful that i didn't
Is that because the Pumpkins suck now, or just because it would be embarrassing in general?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:53 AM   #6
Eulogy
huh

I got a nine inch nails tattoo and I love it. I plan on getting a few more. Don't get the sp heart. Billy is too embarrassing.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:57 AM   #7
Eulogy
huh

I do take legit comfort in the idea that Trent Reznor will not embarrass me.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
Shallowed
Braindead

Pretty much every tattoo that I have thought about getting I have changed my mind on. Thankfully I don't make enough money to get them on a whim with any amount of frequency.

I don't know what I'd get a tattoo of. I don't know if I like anything enough or in that way, to want to carve it into my skin.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #9
Eulogy
huh

I have a big idea for my forearm but I'd have to talk to someone about it first. I want it bad.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Is that because the Pumpkins suck now, or just because it would be embarrassing in general?
both, honestly

Old 07-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The way I've always seen it boils down to the fact that I've never looked at any given patch of skin on my body and genuinely felt that it'd be improved with the insertion of indelible ink, though I guess I might be swayed by the presence of an unsightly burn or birthmark. Otherwise, any one image I might feel strongly about would surely serve just as well as a print to hang on a wall in my home.

Quote:
I was thinking of some sort of abstract Art Nouveau-esque floral pattern or something.
You might want to check out the art nouveau-inspired designs that two-thirds of Ufomammut come up with at their Malleus studio. Their website, Facebook and Instagram have plenty to peruse, such as the following.

http://i.imgur.com/6nTtZhl.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/Wmr7kKA.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/83hM9py.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/rm3vunl.jpg?1

Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #12
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i want to get the serotonin molecule. see avatar.

something like this:

http://tattoologist.nataliehanks.com...22-554x554.jpg

Old 07-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

takeshi just got a sunn o))) tatt.

i like to keep abreast of pertinent stuff like that.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

a guy i used to work with actually had a tattoo of the USB symbol on his wrist

Old 07-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

since i was 18 i liked the idea of a rat tattoo (i've owned rodents since i was 8) but it was merely a thought. when my favorite rat of all time, rebecca, passed away when i was 23, though, i finally got it. but a rat with wings in her honor but really for all my fallen rat homies.

and that's the only tattoo i have.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i like this guy's work

http://www.iainmacarthur.com/

I've been thinking for the last two years about getting a tattoo of something similar to the skull he did for the Ume Phantoms album cover.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/mus...e_phantoms.jpg

Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I always wanted the SP smiley face in high school but realized thankfully tattoos are generally nasty and look awful when you get older.

Edit: I should add I have nothing against well-designed/executed tattoos but they are rare unfortunately.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
Shallowed
Braindead

What smiley face?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
slunken
Virgo

disarm single

Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
ella
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
since i was 18 i liked the idea of a rat tattoo (i've owned rodents since i was 8) but it was merely a thought. when my favorite rat of all time, rebecca, passed away when i was 23, though, i finally got it. but a rat with wings in her honor but really for all my fallen rat homies.

and that's the only tattoo i have.
I'd like to see this rat tattoo

Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
ella
Minion of Satan

I also wanted to get the SP heart at some point...oh thank god I didnt!

I don't have any tattoos, and I don't want any, but I like them fine, just not for me.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #22
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
disarm single
This. I draw it on any card I sign quite often, or any whiteboard. Unless it was erased today it is in the PA Senate chamber ha.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

i've got eleven and counting. Started off with small stuff and took it really serious but these days I have some stuff that's meaningless or even just kinda goofy. That one paves posted is the biggest. Do it, it's sick fun and who gives a fuck we'll all look like shit when we're old.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I got a nine inch nails tattoo and I love it. I plan on getting a few more. Don't get the sp heart. Billy is too embarrassing.
I guess I usually separate between the artist and the art, so that Corgan's douchebaggery or shitty output in the past decade hasn't really had much of an effect on the fact that they (or at least the original incarnation) are my favorite band. But maybe I should inscribe "1988-2000; also, fuck Billy Corgan" to clear up any misconceptions people who see my tattoo may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I have a big idea for my forearm but I'd have to talk to someone about it first. I want it bad.
Cool. What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
You might want to check out the art nouveau-inspired designs that two-thirds of Ufomammut come up with at their Malleus studio. Their website, Facebook and Instagram have plenty to peruse, such as the following.
Thanks for the links. Those are cool. Especially their gig posters. The vague pictures I had in mind were more like abstracted designs and patterns and didn't have any figures, but those would be cool to have as posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i want to get the serotonin molecule. see avatar.

something like this:

http://tattoologist.nataliehanks.com...22-554x554.jpg
That would be awesome. I like sort of minimalist tattoos like that. I've seen some people with physics formulas and equations and stuff like that. Or even just geometric shapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
a guy i used to work with actually had a tattoo of the USB symbol on his wrist
We'll all have those when the World Government turns us all into cyborgs to programme us into obedience and download commands right into our brains. You won't hear a hint of that in the mainstream media, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
This. I draw it on any card I sign quite often, or any whiteboard. Unless it was erased today it is in the PA Senate chamber ha.
Do people ask "why does that guy draw the Heath Ledger Joker on everything?"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
i've got eleven and counting. Started off with small stuff and took it really serious but these days I have some stuff that's meaningless or even just kinda goofy. That one paves posted is the biggest. Do it, it's sick fun and who gives a fuck we'll all look like shit when we're old.
I have this policy that I'll only get a tattoo if I still want it after a year. I'm pretty cautious when ordering fast food because I don't want to make a suboptimal choice, so I approach tattoos even more gingerly. Of course, I'm prepared for the fact that I can't guarantee that I'll like anything forever, but yeah, sometimes you gotta just do stuff and I probably won't be alive too long after the point where my tattoos look wrinkly and gross anyway.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #25
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I'd like to get some decent and meaningful lyrics or lines of poetry or literature written on my body. Not sure how I can be certain they're legible once I'm fat and gross. Also not sure I can endure the pain. Also not sure I would be willing to pay.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #26
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
That would be awesome. I like sort of minimalist tattoos like that. I've seen some people with physics formulas and equations and stuff like that. Or even just geometric shapes.
Maybe I should get something like that. I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. I'm quite fascinated by the golden ratio. I could get a golden spiral.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #27
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

that is an excellent idea

Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i have some old self harm cuts (pink ribbon scars, if you will) on my left forearm, i think a tat right there could cover them up pretty well, they are prob a bit too wide for any line in a molecule to completely cover but the pink around it wouldn't look like a cut mark anymore

i also have some burns that are tough keloid scars which i dont think can be tattooed over very well. but they are slowly (it's been 5 years) retreating down to normal skin level, actually i just took a look and i think only the last part of it is still a keloid. it's a big mark, like 2x5 ish. it used to say cunt but you cant see it anymore, thank god. left upper arm, over the brachialis muscle mostly

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-25-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #29
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I'd like to get some decent and meaningful lyrics or lines of poetry or literature written on my body. Not sure how I can be certain they're legible once I'm fat and gross. Also not sure I can endure the pain. Also not sure I would be willing to pay.
I've thought of accompanying the SP heart with lyrics, but I have no idea what I'd choose. I think it'd be even riskier than just getting a symbol, because there would be a greater chance that I might find it cheesy in the future (like if I had to walk around with my skin saying "love is suicide" for the rest of my life or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Maybe I should get something like that. I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. I'm quite fascinated by the golden ratio. I could get a golden spiral.
That would be cool. I was thinking of getting constellations (not sure which; at first I thought Cancer because it's my sign, but Cancer is, like, the shittiest constellation), maybe getting a minimalistic version with no connecting lines between the stars, and maybe the stars would just be dots or circles, the sizes of which would roughly correspond to the apparent brightnesses of the stars they represent. Also thought of getting a Saturn one, either a very minimalist representation, or something with hatching to sort of evoke that woodcut engraving style.

There are also a bunch of cool minimalist tattoos I've seen on the web. Like these:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...psggfu0cle.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps58hha2xa.png
http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ima...tml?sort=3&o=3
http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ima...tml?sort=3&o=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i have some old self harm cuts (pink ribbon scars, if you will) on my left forearm, i think a tat right there could cover them up pretty well, they are prob a bit too wide for any line in a molecule to completely cover but the pink around it wouldn't look like a cut mark anymore

i also have some burns that are tough keloid scars which i dont think can be tattooed over very well. but they are slowly (it's been 5 years) retreating down to normal skin level, actually i just took a look and i think only the last part of it is still a keloid. it's a big mark, like 2x5 ish. it used to say cunt but you cant see it anymore, thank god. left upper arm, over the brachialis muscle mostly
Yeah, even if the tattoos don't cover the scars entirely, they will probably make them less noticeable.

Any ideas for those tattoos? I suppose "cunt" is off the table.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 AM   #30
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I'd like to do something related to dissociation, or a dissociative disorder. I think it'd be good for me, when I feel like I can, to own it in such a profound way.

the only real symbol i know of that isn't super cliche like different faces or something is this one, which i've made a crude drawing of in paint:

http://i.imgur.com/cSh5dqM.png

but that doesn't seem like such an empowering image, so im not sure

btw that's supposed to depict the brain being (metaphorically) separated from the body