Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #61
slunken
Virgo

Charmbag - the instructor set a bad example from the get go. It probably wouldn't have been that bad had he/she not said anything first.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #62
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
Me too
It adds character
me too. it makes me wanna die.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #63
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Charmbag - the instructor set a bad example from the get go. It probably wouldn't have been that bad had he/she not said anything first.
I have to believe you're right. Like in in my own mind, I know I blew it and I'm pretty hard on everything I make. In my entire life I've probably made about 4 things that I feel overall positive about. But I did not mess up 1000% worse than every other person in the class, which is what the critique reflected.

Also, Aeris that type of "laughing at you the whole time you were speaking" shit is why I avoid teenagers at all costs to this day. Wtf

Is stuttering caused by anxiety or is it just kinda a thing that happens?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #64
noyen
Immortal

i think they both feed on each other.. knowing it's gonna happen causes anxiety... and the anxiety causes it to happen. i was told i had a speech impediment early on, i think in 3rd or 4th grade and had to see a speech therapist. which made it worse. now i feel like if i am going to stutter i just stop at that word and pretend i can't think of the word i'm trying to say so someone finishes the sentence for me. otherwise i'd stutttututututer like crazy if i attempted to get the word out. if i do manage to get the word out it is obvious to the person watching me speak because i have to stop and close my eyes and breathe in deep and then the word comes out like a final sigh. i don't know what caused it... but i tremble in front of people too. hands shaking. i don't notice it but some assholes point it out every now and then.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
now i feel like if i am going to stutter i just stop at that word and pretend i can't think of the word i'm trying to say so someone finishes the sentence for me. otherwise i'd stutttututututer like crazy if i attempted to get the word out. if i do manage to get the word out it is obvious to the person watching me speak because i have to stop and close my eyes and breathe in deep and then the word comes out like a final sigh.
This. My god.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #66
MusicMan4

I don't think in my case I'm really a classic stutterer
There's just frequently delays between my thinking and when I can get out words and I constantly change what I want to say and am perpetually confused
It happens when I type too you just can't tell as much because I have time to edit everything. The confusion I'm sure is evident just not the stopping and starting and choking on words
It mostly stops with a combination of benzos and antipsychotics but it's not like I can say anything worthwhile on those

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #67
MusicMan4

Like I'm not sure I even choke on words sometimes I just start making noises until I can think of a word to say
Autism Speaks

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #68
null123
Minion of Satan

That sounds so stressful. I used to have more of the social anxiety thing when I was a teenager and I would not be able to control things like my voice shaking or turning red all the time, constantly losing my train of thought or getting too scared to even finish my sentence if they seemed the least bit disinterested. It made me feel so vulnerable and awful.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #69
TuralyonW3
Immortal

the farce that ensued after a knock on my bedroom door by my dad during sex with my gf

Old 07-12-2014, 02:36 AM   #70
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
Yesterday was midterm critique for this design class I'm taking. I've been having a really hard time at school (nothing new, been happening since I was a kid) from anxiety sapping all my energy. So yeah I was barely able to get something together for these five midterm projects. I don't get social anxiety generally and normally have no problem speaking in front of others, in fact I wasn't even dreading my critique at all. But for some reason, as soon as it was my turn to present my work and I started talking, my lungs seized up and I couldn't breathe. So I'm standing in front of the class trying to talk, literally gasping for air and trying to get a grip and I'm pretty sure my voice started shaking too. I went 2nd to last at critique and all the other presentations had gone perfectly smooth and the crits were completely average, just the normal hey this works well, you could consider doing a couple things here, etc. After I finish trying to think of something to say about the stuff I'd made since my mind had gone completely blank, I got the most eviscerating critique probably anyone in the room had witnessed. First the teacher said that I was making no sense and that everyone had stopped listening to me speak and had disconnected. Then he took about 15 minutes of just him going over why my work was lazy, concepts poorly developed, badly executed, overall just "not working" for him, poor choice of frame, felt cheap or gimmicky, dumbed down, didn't communicate, it just went on and on . Then he asked each person in the class to share what they personally didn't like about my work and it went on like that some more. One girl said one of my projects looks like something her little sister would make in kindergarten. I didn't sleep the night before and before anyone started talking I was already obviously stressed so I'm pretty sure the fact that I wanted to cry (something I NEVER do in public) was obvious and everyone was super uncomfortable. By the time we moved on to the next crit I tried to just hang in there and not cry so I could stay in the room and not seem like a bad sport or anything. But my eyes started watering really bad and I'm pretty sure everyone noticed it. Finally got to go to the genderqueer bathroom and bawl my eyes out and then I cried for about 5 straight hours when I got home.
This sounds like you are recounting a really bad dream.

(((((((((Charmbag))))))))))

Last edited by Bread Regal : 07-12-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #71
Bread Regal
Banned

Honestly, so many events in my life that are just so embarrassing every time i think of one I might share with you all, I think of one that's worse.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #72
null123
Minion of Satan

Thanks, it was like one. This whole thread needs a hug I think

I also just found out that in being so frazzled this month I lost track of the deadline for a final paper and will get an F in the class as a result, and there had been no reason it shouldn't be an easy A. Really wish I had something to do besides sit in this room right now.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
I have to believe you're right.
he is

to be honest the prof should apologize to you if he actually believes in your work, but he never will so just assume that he does

i actually think that other person who said the thing about kindergarten, she was taking aim at you deliberately because she probably already picked up on something when you criticized her before. i get the feeling that you didn't like her to begin with and to be frank if you're still posting here that means you're like the rest of us and don't realize some people are way faster on the uptake as far as social cues are concerned than we are. so, i think she probably already knew you didn't like her to begin with so she took this opportunity, endorsed and encouraged by the profs bad and unprofessional example, and tore into you.

next chance you get, savage her in the most impersonal manner possible. you should write the stuff you want to say down and make sure you boil it down to a completely detached devastation of everything she believes in. i know you can do that.

ultimately, figure out what you know to be true about the criticism and work from there

Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #74
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
he is

to be honest the prof should apologize to you if he actually believes in your work, but he never will so just assume that he does

i actually think that other person who said the thing about kindergarten, she was taking aim at you deliberately because she probably already picked up on something when you criticized her before. i get the feeling that you didn't like her to begin with and to be frank if you're still posting here that means you're like the rest of us and don't realize some people are way faster on the uptake as far as social cues are concerned than we are. so, i think she probably already knew you didn't like her to begin with so she took this opportunity, endorsed and encouraged by the profs bad and unprofessional example, and tore into you.

next chance you get, savage her in the most impersonal manner possible. you should write the stuff you want to say down and make sure you boil it down to a completely detached devastation of everything she believes in. i know you can do that.
I was so totally not expecting what came in the last paragraph after reading the one before it, I actually laughed out loud.

Interesting theory. I understand how damning my presence on this board is but actually I don't think I'm that bad off in terms of social skills. Not anymore anyway. I also didn't have a problem with her before her comment, at least not that my conscious mind is aware of. I think I could easily write something just as scathing about the work of 9/10 of the other students in the class. If she picked up on anything it's probably that I secretly have a huge ego and need to be taken down a peg. And whatever her reason was, something to know about me is that I don't like taking revenge on people because that basically means admitting I've let them get under my skin.

Quote:
ultimately, figure out what you know to be true about the criticism and work from there
I did take note. There are things to learn from the crit itself but mostly this whole thing has been a step in teaching me to ask for help because in doing so I have already received a lot. I hate asking for help but it's impossible to make good art with that attitude. Don't know why I selected this fucking discipline that goes against everything that I am but it is what it is.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 AM   #75
Trotskilicious
Banned

i dunno if it's having social skills that are that "bad off" more than believing that people can't possibly be that petty

i dunno i got the idea from dr honeydew that you had already criticized her before even mildly, which is pretty much license for some people to be absolute bastards to you

last thing, if you make art without help you are basically what bill corgan has become

Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #76
null123
Minion of Satan

True, I try to hold onto the belief that people are generally not trying to hurt me.,

Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #77
null123
Minion of Satan

Oh you edited. I remember earlier in the term I gave her some extremely mild (imo) critique of this pen tool shape she made. If she's still mad about it it's because the teacher and the TA agreed with me.

And you're right. And I think in the visual fields it's even worse

Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #78
hnibos
Braindead

Now if you ever have a negative critique everyone will assume you're just bitter.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #79
Mayfuck
Banned

Idiots.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #80
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I remember being chronically confused and in a perpetual state of embarrassment up until about age 11.

People would ask me questions and I'd if I didn't know the answer or didn't know what to say back to them I just froze and oddly smiled at them.

I was fine at school, at least with learning and peer interactions I wasn't generally confused, though you probably could have called me quiet and shy. But I basically froze every time an adult talked to me. I only recently realized that that wasn't normal.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #81
MusicMan4

Neurotypicals are assholes anyway

Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #82
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I am feeling I am the biggest weirdo right now (also the biggest drunkyard, drughead, everythingelsehead)

Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #83
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

It* just, how can I say?
Magnify things
Your best
Your worse...

Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 AM   #84
null123
Minion of Satan

Make some more threads people

Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #85
null123
Minion of Satan

I don't exactly have my thumb on the pulse of this board but I'm about ready to make threads if you all refuse to do so

Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #86
noyen
Immortal

Question

2true

Last edited by noyen : 07-13-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

sometimes i think part of getting older is realizing you really have nothing interesting to say

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #88
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i've tried to forget them all.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #89
bignothing
Demi-God

damn charmbag, that was painful to read. i'd offer to help cutting that bitch up, but i think you won't agree with using violence or calling her a bitch, idk.

i took a painting class during my undergrad and it was cool. i was the only non-arts student there but made it very clear i had no idea what i was doing so no one was ever harsh on me. it was only really bad when i had to do a self-portrait and i have no sense of anything so my painting looked totally distorted even though i tried really hard. i was laughing about it, though. the only negative experience was when the prof asked us to choose a contemporary artist and show their work/talk about their life to the classroom for like 10 mins. i chose mark ryden for no real reason other than that buffy painting - i know nothing about modern art. turns out prof hates mark ryden, and thinks his work is all about pedophilia.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #90
bignothing
Demi-God

someone give me feedback lol

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...678uo1_500.jpg

Inspired/copied this

http://www.kmm.nl/routeplanner/image...%20100.465.jpg