Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
noyen
Immortal

this thread has a format to answer your opinions and thotz about about yourself. no one asked what you think about other people. ��

Old 06-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #32
noyen
Immortal

((((hugs))))

Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #33
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

what is your motivation?
I have very low internal motivation, and it's a big problem in my life. I get motivation from others relying on me, or from just having to do things or else there will be consequences

why do you get up in the morning?
waking up is also a big problem for me. I'm always tired no matter how much sleep I get. I guess the alternative, losing my job, seems worse

what are you sleeping for?
sleeping is very pleasant. I usually feel great getting into bed and terrible getting out of bed. except that sometimes my propensity towards nervousness, anxiety, and racing thoughts is exacerbated when I am trying to fall asleep, so I practice self destructive behaviors like staying up too late, getting high, or smoking some beers in order to fall asleep quickly

how do you justify the terrible things you do?
I agree with noyen, everyone does bad things and we are all part of systems which do bad things and we are ok because we benefit. I guess I justify it to myself by acknowledging it, and acknowledging there is very little we can actually do to change much of the bad shit we are involved in, other than be informed, practice kindness, be as empathetic as possible, set an example in some way where you see others engaging in bad behavior groupthink, try to make a difference in your own smallworld/community. There is also no free will, and in the scheme of the universe it really doesn't matter, so I guess that can be kind of comforting too.

what impact do you think you have on those around you?
My friends and family love me but I can be a burden on them sometimes because of my depression/anxiety issues. I try to go out of my way to be a good listener and step up to the plate when someone needs me or asks for help, because I know other people sometimes have to come rescue me. my coworkers hate me and that makes me happy because they are a pack of swine

why haven't you ended your own life?
I'm pretty sure I couldn't actually do that to my family and friends, but that might be the only reason.

do you plan on it if you haven't yet?
I have frequent suicidal ideations. It has been a daily part of my life since I was a kid, so I'm pretty used to it now. It's unclear to me how serious I ever am when I have these fantasies. I do not currently plan to kill myself, but I also know that in the future there will be many more depressive episodes in which I do want to kill myself.

are you unsure if you want to live or die?
always

Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #34
Elphenor
Braindead

a working class hero is something to be

Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #35
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

what is your motivation?
unclear right now

i don't. i sleep in most days and don't feel good about it

depressed / avoidance / recovery for workouts

i don't do terrible things other than make poor use of my time, which isn't hurting anyone else

generally quite positive

would never subject people around me to that, and the times when i enjoy seeking out things in life are awesome and i would never want to shut the door on that

no

i am sure i want to live

Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #36
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
smashingjj is mad cuz his life didn't go as expected and he keeps blaming others for his own failures. Oh no, my boss is rude to me and work is hard. They're bullying me. So? That sounds like every workplace ever. But no, fuck me for actually giving advice. Fuck you, man.
Where do you come up with this

Old 06-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #37
noyen
Immortal

I should reframe "the terrible things you do" to something else. i mean, I didn't quite mean "I justify baby punching cuz it creates jobs" but more of a work societal thing like, most of us work for some sort of capitalist thing that doesn't really solve world problems.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #38
redbreegull

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I should reframe "the terrible things you do" to something else. i mean, I didn't quite mean "I justify baby punching cuz it creates jobs" but more of a work societal thing like, most of us work for some sort of capitalist thing that doesn't really solve world problems.
that's how I interpreted it

Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #39
FoolofaTook

what is your motivation?
smoking weed

to smoke weed

because i smoked weed

lack of weed

depends on how much weed i have smoked

in order to smoke more weed

too stoned to figure this one out

i am sure that i want to smoke more weed

Old 06-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #40
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
smashingjj is mad cuz his life didn't go as expected and he keeps blaming others for his own failures. Oh no, my boss is rude to me and work is hard. They're bullying me. So? That sounds like every workplace ever. But no, fuck me for actually giving advice. Fuck you, man.
Seriously, where did you come up with this? I'm intrigued. I thought i was unemployed, btw.

Also what was the 'advice' that you gave, precisely?

Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #41
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sounds like someone writes netphorian fanfic.

I'd be interested in slashfic tho. Who are the netphorian ships

Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #42
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

No reply, so fan fiction i guess, yeah.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

what is your motivation?

I like being alive, in spite of the bad times/bad feelings. There's always a good song to listen to or a new movie to watch or some sex to be had. I can always think of one good reason to keep going, even if there are a million reasons to give up.

Because I have to go to work and my dog has to pee. No one else is going to pay my bills or take care of him, so I get up.

To dream of Took's dad's teeth.

I try to learn from the bad things I do to make sure I don't do them again.

I'd like to think I'm a good person but I'm pretty insular and I think I am currently disappointing a lot of people who I don't have the energy to engage with on a meaningful level. I'm definitely more selfish than I realize sometimes.

I am a procrastinator by nature.

No, not unless I am diagnosed with terminal cancer or something. I still enjoy life, for the most part.

I want to live. I've felt like dying at times, but never willing to do it myself.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #44
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post

in that case, on a practical level, i try to consider what are the alternatives.

- the company i work(ed) for is "bad" or "evil" or whatever. the future is going to happen with me or without me, and so i can either sit on the sidelines and let it happen, or i can do my small part to try and nudge it in a slightly better direction from within. and in my case the company has a mission i believe in and creates economic opportunities where they might not otherwise exist, etc. and the companies i'm involved with currently do work on solving societal problems, and i know i'm fortunate to be able to be choosy in that regard

- income inequality is a terrible thing and you wealthy jerks are squeezing low income people out of the city, etc. also this inequality created the environment in which people were pissed off enough to elect a racist demagogue. i can't control that aside from taking action to be an informed and active voter (local and national) and voting for candidates who i believe will have the most effective policies on housing, social programs, etc. spent several hours discussing each measure on the local ballot for the last election with several others to make sure we understood and voted after educating ourselves. i donate significantly to causes i believe in, especially lately. would much rather maximize my own economic power and be able to back causes that matter than participate less strongly.

- fossil fuels are unsustainable damaging our planet, etc. ok, i so got an electric car. oh wait, when you factor in the manufacturing process and current means of producing electricity, it's not any better for the environment today than a gas car. well, it least it's incrementally pushing forward on creating infrastructure for more sustainable technology in the future

so i try to think of it in terms of a net position. do you do enough active good to offset the passive bad. and is there more i could be doing? of course, and that's also the case for everyone on the planet except a few tens of thousands of people i'd guess. but i've made deliberate choices to position myself where i'm doing more good than harm and trying to leave things i touch better than i left them

i don't claim to have an enlightened perspective here or know all the answers or be unconflicted about it all. and hope it didn't come off as too preachy or defensive. but that's my current thinking.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #45
noyen
Immortal

I love all the responses. life is hard to navigate and seeing the different realities people live in really makes me stop and reevaluate my own. we are all taught different coping mechanisms and face all kinda different obstacles in different contexts.

I had a decent Monday today, one of better ones in memory. Feeling optimistic but that could also be my manic depressive bipolar moodswing just going in one direction.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

try to enjoy it before it becomes psychotic or whatever happens to you... lol?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #47
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
try to enjoy it before it becomes psychotic or whatever happens to you... lol?
yeah, it's a rare occurrence and I just gotta not take it for granted. soon enough I'll be back in the throes of wanting to die 24/7.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #48
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

What’s the point? While there are many points a person may perceive, the overall point lays outside our own understanding. A tree grows and dies and fullfills its point without needing to do anything consciously. The only difference between a tree, a human, or a chair is that we are conscious of ourselves and think “omg why am I doing this!” when the answer is we just are.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #49
noyen
Immortal

What’s the Point?
There is no point to life – life is the point!
Posted Nov 06, 2014

In my clinical work, it is not uncommon for people to say that they just can’t see the point of anything anymore. Some people even tell me that they don’t see any point in living. These people are usually distressed, despondent, and depressed. They are clearly not satisfied with their “lot” and often find it hard to convince themselves to do everyday tasks such as getting out of bed.

It’s a funny thing about the point. It seems to be the case that we rarely think about the point except in those situations when we question if there is one. Most people, mostly, just meander through their days, months, and years, getting on with the business of living by making their lives be the way they want them to be.

article continues after advertisement

Is there a point? What is the point of saying “Good morning”? What is the point of a butterfly bursting from its constricting cocoon and fluttering off to find a flower? What is the point of going to school, of turning up to work on time, of going on holidays, of being kind, of asking for skim instead of full cream milk, of riding a horse along a deserted beach, of hitting the ball into that place where your opponent cannot reach it?

Everything has a point and nothing has a point

Ironically, at the same time that there is no point, there is also a myriad of points. Life, in fact, is a universe of points. Some points help other points be realized through a hierarchical arrangement. Pairs of points can be configured oppositionally preventing each other from having any effect and establishing a sense of pointlessness.

We have no objective, irrefutable, immutable point that drives us all except, perhaps, the point of keeping our worlds in the states we are satisfied with. Anything that lives, in order to continue living, must do this, although they don’t really “do this” in the same way that Uncle Hank might “do” a clean out of the basement. The business of keeping experiences constant in the context of changing environments is a process of control (www.pctweb.org). There is no creature that is separate from the process that does the controlling. The creature itself is a control process. The unicellular Acetabularia is a control process and every multicellular life-form is too.

So the point is control, and the point of control is to continue controlling by keeping any difference between the standard and the experience as small as can be.

If making lots of money has a point to you then you’ll follow that point. If there’s a point to you in growing Brassavola orchids then there’s a point. For different people at different times there’s a point to: putting your name down on the roster to help out with school lunches; or making the world a better place; or restoring your 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air; or tatting a lace handkerchief edge to enter in the local show; or getting all your weekly spelling words correct.

Points are highly individualized. You can’t give a point to another person or tell them what their point should be, but sometimes; people can establish points based on what they've learned from others. And there is no inherent pointness in any thing or activity. The point exists in the mind of the controller. It is the restorer who creates and experiences the point not the 1957 Chevy.

For some people there is even a point to not having a point.

Those people who are not bothered by the point of it all will just keep on keeping on; controlling whatever is in their mind to control. Some people, however, occasionally lose sight of their point, or forget what it was, or wonder if they ever had one anyway. When that happens, listen to the chatter of your mind. It is likely that, rather than there being no point, your points are at war with each other. Perhaps you see a point in living a life of your own design and also a point in gaining approval from others. At times, these points will pull you in different directions leaving you feeling stretched, or stuck, or defeated.

Sometimes, when points are incompatible, and neither can be achieved, it can seem like the points are gone. The therapy I use (www.methodoflevels.com.au) and the app I have developed (MindSurf) help people reorganize their points by listening to the struggle and searching for where it is coming from. After all, if there wasn’t a point, there wouldn’t be a struggle.

Getting on with the pursuit of points in ways that do not prevent others from doing the same thing is likely to be one of the keys to contented and satisfying living. The more aware we are of the important things in our lives, the less we will question what the point of it all is, and the more meaningful our living and our relationships with others will be.

About the Author

Tim Carey, Ph.D., a clinician and researcher, is a professor and Director of the Centre for Remote Health in Alice Springs, Australia

Online:
The Method of Levels
View Author Profile

Old 06-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #50
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #51
FoolofaTook

"Alice Springs, Australia"- one of them fake countries.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #52
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It was an interesting read up until the author decided to plug his therapy and app.
Guess now I know the point of the article.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #53
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

I like my post better.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #54
FoolofaTook

My post was the best.

Weed is the best.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #55
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Shorter Psychology

Old 06-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

This Australian Doctor Discovers The Meaning Of Life... And You Won't Believe What It Is! (OMG #5 Killed Me)

Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #57
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Australian Residents: This Doctor is Disrupting a $200 Billion Industry With This One Weird Trick