Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
redbull
Immortal

Default fat man blues in why am i so tired

anyone ever notice this? it's around 14:20...I'd think this concretely puts the song as a gish outtake

Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Nah, that's just a common blues-style progression and I see no remarkable similarities. It sounds like it was recorded in a batch with Slunk and Blue (which have a different sound than the rest of Gish) if it was recorded during the Gish sessions themselves. But according to SPFC there was a 1990 session with Butch Vig (pre-Gish) to record Jackie Blue, and the whole sound and feel is perhaps even closer to what I hear on that recording.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
Nah, that's just a common blues-style progression and I see no remarkable similarities. It sounds like it was recorded in a batch with Slunk and Blue (which have a different sound than the rest of Gish) if it was recorded during the Gish sessions themselves. But according to SPFC there was a 1990 session with Butch Vig (pre-Gish) to record Jackie Blue, and the whole sound and feel is perhaps even closer to what I hear on that recording.
It's definitely the exact same riff as Fat Man Blues (though it's not like it's a complicated one), but I agree it doesn't necessarily do anything towards dating the recording of WAIST.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Plus, remember that in recording Gish, each instrument was tracked separately... Billy & Jimmy drove up to Madison to do drums and scratch guitar, then each member went with Billy to do their overdubs. It's not really that feasible that they'd spend their valuable studio time to record a 15-minute instrumental--a jam that more or less dependent on a band dynamic, live in the room--each member separately recording their parts weeks apart?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

SPFC speculates it was during the Gish recording sessions because of its "stereophonic division and general feel of the song." But I wondered why they would have recorded a collaborative jam session myself, and for the reasons you stated.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
redbull
Immortal

eh couldn't it just be a jam when they were checking monitors or something? i mean it could even be a basement demo or something, not that hard to do with a four track and a mixer

Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

given the way it ends, i am willing to be they had extra tape in the studio and just played until it ran out.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
SPFC speculates it was during the Gish recording sessions because of its "stereophonic division and general feel of the song." But I wondered why they would have recorded a collaborative jam session myself, and for the reasons you stated.
Ha! The irony! Hindsight is 20/20, so I guess I'm contridicting what I wrote over 10 years ago! I guess what I meant then is that Why Am I So Tired wasn't a Siamese Dream outtake like I previously thought, because it seemed to me that the audio design was more direct, more Gish than Siamese Dream. But it was all speculation anyways. As said earlier, it could also have been on Billy's 8-track in their practice space.

Here's a hint: Listen to the drums, and match the drumsound with Jackie Blue, Starla/Plume or anything from Gish. All my SP discs have been destroyed, sold or stolen, so I would if I could. I don't really feel like burning my ratios in what just for this experiemnt, so feel free!