Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #1501
Disco King
Minion of Satan

re: Interstellar (I know I'm like two years two late for anybody to care about this anymore but I'm trying to catch up on movies because I never watch them)

Though I liked it, I guess one of the issues I had with it has this sort of 20th-century-modernist anthropocentric idea that the environment is just sort of ours to fuck up, and when we completely destroy it, we can just expand and move somewhere else. Like, I didn't have any problem with characters having this mentality, because it certainly fit Cooper's character. My only problem was that the mentality was never challenged by anything in the script, and it's just taken as a given. Like, Cooper mentions that we're supposed to be "explorers, not caretakers," and no one in the movie ever really says, "no, we were supposed to take care of this, but we failed; maybe we deserve this." I kind of wish they touched on more themes of stewardship and responsibility and human chauvinism. I of course can't say I even have any idea whether humanity will ever habitate anything other than Earth, but I kind of agree with Bill Nye when he says that we shouldn't bet on it, and should focus about taking care of the planet we do have. I wanted something in the script to reflect upon that.

The whole Plan B thing about starting a colony of humans from frozen eggs... why would Michael Caine's character actually care about doing that? He explains how he had to lie to the entire crew in order to get them to work for the good of the species, because empathy would only extend to people they are connected to. But the case is never made for why Caine thinks humans are so special that the universe needs more of them and it would be a travesty if some weren't being gestated on some planet after we all die. The whole "empathy for those we know vs. the good of future hypothetical people" would make more intuitive sense if we were talking about, say, the comfort of the current generation and the quality of life of our descendants. But the quality of life of descendants seems to be more rational to care about than ensuring that some humans, somewhere, will exist. The could had spent more time with Caine's character so we'd understand why this is so important to him.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #1502
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

civil war: A- or B+

finally got around to seeing it last night. one of the best mcu films, great from start to finish, although one character took some very questionable actions in the third act of the film and the shaky cam in the first action sequence was dizzying. definitely more of a sequel to winter soldier (which i liked) than a sequel to age of ultron (which i disliked.) every charcter got their share of screentime and almost nothing about the plot felt convoluted or contrived, save for the events of the third act i just referenced. i particularly adored the new spider-man. this is how i've always wanted to see him on film, and i hope to see them continue in this direction for homecoming. him and ant-man were the best parts of the airport battle, easily. #teamcap

Old 05-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #1503
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

the bad taste left in my mouth from batman v superman was washed out but then i remembered x-men apocalypse is coming out in a few weeks and that that's gonna bring the bad taste back.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #1504
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
lol

You totally missed the point thats why you didn't like it

It's one of those movies, just google "Babadook meaning"

As a straight forward horror movie it's just okay, but when you understand the symbolism it's very good
I guess when I said I didn't get the ending I meant something closer to, "if it's this simple it's p. dumb", but let me guess:

mom writes children's books so probably created the book herself. It and the monster are a representation of her dark mirror self (hence the connection to the husband because she can't get over his death and secretly wishes the kid was dead instead of him). The more you deny your shadow self, the stronger it grows, and this what the words in the book meant about denying the Babadook and it feeding off that. Instead of facing her husband's death and her psycho son's issues head on, she redirects and sublimates everything which over time makes her crazy. When she finally accepts the creature is real and inside the house/herself, she can finally confront it and tame it. The kid said you can't get rid of the Babadook. It can't be killed because our trauma and our shadow selves are always with us though we have to learn to mitigate them, which is why it now lives in the basement and mom has to go contend with it every day to reassert the control of her light self.

I'm not really into horror movies usually so I'm not of the this movie sucks b/c there is no gore/shit jumping out of the dark at you. I thought it was quite tense and frightening at the beginning, but the more they showed the cheesy monster IRL the less scary it became. It looks like a Tim Burton character. I didn't think the movie sucked, I just think it wasn't super effective at doing what it wanted to do.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #1505
Elphenor
Braindead

Idk what you wrote above gave the impression you didn't get any of that

Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #1506
Elphenor
Braindead

"What is the connection to her dead husband"

Old 05-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #1507
Disco King
Minion of Satan

One more thing that bothered me about Interstellar

At the end, the space-station orbiting Saturn is named the "Cooper Space Station," and Cooper thinks it's named after him, but it's actually named after his daughter, Murphy. This indicates that their family name is Cooper, and that we never learnt the first name of McConaughey's character.

But earlier in the film, we saw that Cooper's son wanted to name his own first child Cooper, after his father, and eventually named his second child Cooper. At this point of the film, we just assumed Cooper was McConaughey's character's given name, and it would make sense that his son would give his child the same name.

So, if Cooper is actually a last name, Cooper's grandson was named "Cooper Cooper." What the fuck is this.

Still a great movie, though.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #1508
redbreegull

Quote:
Idk what you wrote above gave the impression you didn't get any of that
I know I was being dumb. If that's what I'm supposed to take from this movie though, it really is incredibly simple, like it was written by someone who just heard about Carl Jung last week.

but a friend kept telling me about how "terrifying" it was, and it was listed under horror on xfinity, so that did color my expectations when it turned out to be an average psychological thriller

Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #1509
Elphenor
Braindead

well I mean all movies are pretty shit

It's movies not that serious

Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #1510
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

/thread

Hehe

Old 05-15-2016, 02:38 AM   #1511
redbreegull

Quote:
I like teh star wars

Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #1512
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:

Oh you're calling Kubrick pretty shit now huh

Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #1513
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Final Girls - 4/5

This movie was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Good hommage to 80s slasher films.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #1514
TuralyonW3
Immortal

yea pretty entertaining

Old 05-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #1515
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Oh you're calling Kubrick pretty shit now huh
Clockwork Orange was cool but it's a book!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #1516
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The adaptation is rather distinct.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #1517
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Elph, You are a flamer

Last edited by toase : 05-15-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #1518
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Yes, I know. Perhaps you should ask me out.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #1519
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Yes, I know. Perhaps you should ask me out.
oops sorry, the internet is slow down here

Old 05-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #1520
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I know I was being dumb. If that's what I'm supposed to take from this movie though, it really is incredibly simple, like it was written by someone who just heard about Carl Jung last week.

but a friend kept telling me about how "terrifying" it was, and it was listed under horror on xfinity, so that did color my expectations when it turned out to be an average psychological thriller
ramped up expectations are a movie's worst enemy.
they disembowel it from any meaningful impact it could have had, because it basically leaves you going "what, is that all" even before the opening credits show up onscreen.

with that said, i agree that it isn't really a straight up horror film per se, but more of a psychological breakdown movie of a frayed mother.

what i did particularly enjoy about the movie was this completely scyzophernic/hallocinogenic sequence about 2/3 through. the one where she meets her dead husband in the basement - all before and after that. i remember thinking that was honestly brilliant

Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #1521
LaBelle
Socialphobic

X-men Apocalypse - 1/5

why

Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #1522
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

really? How come

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #1523
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's a terrible film, way too bloated with meaningless characters, a generic villain who wants to conquer the world (performed by a sleepwalking Oscar Isaac). It's impressive how a film that's 2h27m long manages to not develop any single character in a compelling manner.

At some point Michael Fassbender kneels down after having loved ones killed and yell at the skies: "what do you want me to be?!?!?!?!?!?!"
Say what you will about the Marvel films, at least they do a decent job of setting up their characters in a way you at least can have fun with the movie and not feel like "is this a nod to the comic or a callback to an earlier film or what?" most of the time.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #1524
slunken
Virgo

jaw-dropping A+

40th anniversary

Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #1525
fuzzyroes
Banned

DIRTY GRANDPA

Just watched the "new to on demand (not new to video anymore lol)" Deniro movie . Seemed like a pretty funny concept and the trailers were funny but the movie kinda sucked ass. I mean it had it's funny moments, but really, was a lot shittier than I expected it to be. Is Deniro really this hard up for work these days?

On the plus side, there was some nice eye candy. Zoey Deutch is a natural beauty

FINAL VERDICT 2.5/5

Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #1526
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

ugh where to even begin with that post

Old 05-25-2016, 11:23 PM   #1527
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
DIRTY GRANDPA

was a lot shittier than I expected it to be.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #1528
slunken
Virgo

was semi-curious about what folk-hero redbreegull would think of heartworn highways but then again it's not a clickable video of two women fighting

Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #1529
slunken
Virgo

i guess he just doesn't have what it takes. not that we all didn't think that. but now we have the proof.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #1530
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm a big DeNiro fan and he's usually pretty solid in any of his comedic work. Didn't think he'd lend his skills to a turd. He was still entertaining, but I just didn't buy the concept that some 70 year old grandpa would drag his prude grandson to spring break so the grandpa could try and hook up with this chick:

Like I said, it was all pretty stupid, but it had some laughs. Theres definitely tons of worse comedies out there.