Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #31
melancholia

Quote:
Originally posted by kypper:
Quote:
Originally posted by Random Female:
melancolia's right; it ain't gonna fly. (no pun intended!) it'll get to the supreme court and they'll strike it down.

my beef is this: I am 5'2, weigh 115. On my trip home from china i was UNCOMFORTABLE AS FUCK. if little me is uncomfortable and cramped, how do the regular people feel? Then when i landed in san fran and changed planes to san diego, the seats were MUCH bigger and i was totally fine. so they fucked me on the 12 hour flight and on the 45 min one i was fine. they need to make the seats bigger period.
You had a shitty plane. Every time I've flown, I've had tons of room.
well, not everyone is a spoiled fucking brat in first class. get over yourself, prick. when i was 115, i've been on flights where the seats were small. the fucking airline industry tries to pack people in there as much as they can so they can make the all mighty dollar. no one gives a shit about customer satisfaction or comfort anymore. the truth of the matter is, most planes, the seats are so small that even a 120lb person is uncomfortable... they'll lose even more fucking business than they are now.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #32
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia:
wow, you have just fucking become the only person here i really can't fucking stand. why do you assume that obese people are lazy slobs? has it ever occured to you that some people actually have medical conditions that make them heavy? not everyone is able to dedicate a lot of their time into losing weight...and i sure as hell dont' want a fucking industry to dictate what is and what is not an acceptable weight for me or anyone else... the ADA will not let this happen.
Excellent. Take offence without considering the other side. Yes, there are many people who do work hard, and yes, there are those with medical conditions. But it can be overcome to the extent that one seat will fit most of these people so long as they put forth a little common sense in terms of healthier eating and some regular exercise.

"and i sure as hell dont' want a fucking industry to dictate what is and what is not an acceptable weight for me or anyone else... "

Well, I'm sorry, but there needs to be a line drawn, and the government, not the industry, will do it in the end. If it is a case of being selfish to the way you want to live, then that's fine, but you have to expect consequences.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:55 PM   #33
kypper

Quote:
well, not everyone is a spoiled fucking brat in first class. get over yourself, prick. when i was 115, i've been on flights where the seats were small. the fucking airline industry tries to pack people in there as much as they can so they can make the all mighty dollar. no one gives a shit about customer satisfaction or comfort anymore. the truth of the matter is, most planes, the seats are so small that even a 120lb person is uncomfortable... they'll lose even more fucking business than they are now.
YO! I'm not screaming at you, nor am I insulting you; get over yourself. I have NEVER flown first class. Not once. Maybe Canadian planes are better suited to their passengers, but just keep your rude fucking comments to yourself.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #34
Graveflower

Thumbs down

Quote:
then don't fly- i'm sure fat people don't like being treated like they're horrible people because of how they look. I can't believe a board that is normally so liberal can be so cruel about this issue.
I've noticed that absolutely nobody seems to care how they're hurting someone over this issue.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #35
kypper

Oh, and just so that you all know I'm not an anal hypocrite, I'm going on a run. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif See ya.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #36
melancholia

Quote:
Originally posted by kypper:
Well there is a limit to which we should go to accomodate those outside of the norm, especially if we are losing extreme profit due to it. A little bit of a seat englargement is fine, but I'm sorry - I don't think I should have to pay for extrodinary circumstances, and that is exactly where it is coming out of: THE AVERAGE PERSON'S TICKET PRICE. Make everyone else suffer so that you don't have to take responsibility; that's what the country is all about.

[This message has been edited by kypper (edited 06-20-2002).]
who the fuck is the AIRLINE INDUSTRY to say what the hell "morbid obesity" is. What are they fucking going to do, ask your weight and size when you book plane tickets. That's a violation of personal privacy. I'm sure that heavy people are not very comfortable with flying, especially knowing that they'll be looked down upon and all kinds of assumptions will be made about them... making this a reality will just worsen their situation, which WILL (in a country like the USA where a majority of people are obese) put the airline out of business.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:59 PM   #37
Graveflower

To be fair, the problem is if a person takes up too much room for one seat, and therefore that one seat cannot be sold. The airline isn't just going to say "hey, you're fat, you have to pay for an extra seat, tubby."

I really only thing this should apply to flights where the flight is near, or at capacity, because if this happens on a flight with 20 empty seats, they really aren't losing a sale.

Old 06-20-2002, 06:01 PM   #38
melancholia

Listen, I'm really sorry for being such an ass about this- but it's a really sensitive issue with me right now... and I really don't think that people should be treated like cattle. We come in all different shapes and sizes... and it all boils down to what a person is comfortable with... I can't see how it would be legal to make people *who are physically disabled* pay extra money because of their size. The seats should be enlarged to fit pretty much everyone... and for those select few who will not fit, then give them a seatbelt extention and don't make a bad situation worse for them.

Old 06-20-2002, 06:06 PM   #39
melancholia

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
To be fair, the problem is if a person takes up too much room for one seat, and therefore that one seat cannot be sold. The airline isn't just going to say "hey, you're fat, you have to pay for an extra seat, tubby."

I really only thing this should apply to flights where the flight is near, or at capacity, because if this happens on a flight with 20 empty seats, they really aren't losing a sale.
that would be a really good idea, except for the fact that they would have to know ahead of time everyones measurements... obese people would be baared from standby flights, sudden flights, and holiday flights...unless they are finantially capible to pay the extra money. i still would object to that, because i can understand how horrible that would make a person feel... if you think about it, this would really only apply to a selected few people- but i'm sure that eventually, BMI would be calculated in with your plane ticket in order to fly... that's just unfair, and sad that we've come to this. Odds are, if you're going to fly- you're going to fly with someone of a "normal" size. If you find yourself uncomfortable sitting next to an obese person, understand that they really do have a problem, and wait until the flight is boarded to see if you can get another seat... but transportation is a need for pretty much all of the population. people shouldnt' be singled out because of their weight.

Old 06-20-2002, 06:11 PM   #40
kypper

Quote:

One last comment, and I'm sorry for offending you both, because I honestly respect that it can be medical, and I know that it's difficult to stay in shape, especially if you have a predisposition to it... I would have to agree with you, Sean, and I was thinking that before... when it hits capacity is the time at which it's a problem. Perhaps when you apply you should just have to specify whether you need one or two seats? That avoids measurement problems.

Old 06-20-2002, 06:13 PM   #41
melancholia

Thanks for being cool this time man, I dont' hate you anymore...and that is a good idea that wouldn't offend people. I guess what really ticked me off is how it seemed that you thought that obese people do it to themselves (and yes, they play a role in it) but it's a very hard condition to deal with...

Old 06-20-2002, 11:34 PM   #42
So very sad about me

Quote:

It says they would issue refunds in the article

I agree with you...

And to whomever says its unfair.... think about it. they provide a service. if you need 2 of whatever items are being sold, then obviously you should have to pay for 2 of them. i don't know how they would inforce it, but in cases of extreme obesity, it should become obvious who does need it.
also, something i'd never understood, why would morbidly obese people not want the comfort of 2 seats??? Why would they want to feel embarrassed at taking up half of someone else's seat and making them feel uncomfortable.
They should save themselves and the other person the hassle, and get the 2nd seat

Old 06-20-2002, 11:57 PM   #43
ill effect

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
As a fat man who does not take up two seats, I think this is totally fair.

oh, by the look of your pictures, you'll be in two seat territory very soon.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:58 PM   #44
ill effect

p.s.

does this mean that the fatty in question gets two meals also? they paid for it. i'm sure they would argue to have it.

Old 06-21-2002, 01:09 AM   #45
Anti-Moan Gestapo

Quote:
Originally posted by ill effect:
p.s.

does this mean that the fatty in question gets two meals also? they paid for it. i'm sure they would argue to have it.
Valid point.

Although my girlfriend did this once, stole my dinner while I was sleeping.

Old 06-21-2002, 07:32 AM   #46
Mr. Rhinoceros

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am now 5'4 and 150.
Noting wrong with that. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Quote:
well, not everyone is a spoiled fucking brat in first class. get over yourself, prick. when i was 115, i've been on flights where the seats were small. the fucking airline industry tries to pack people in there as much as they can so they can make the all mighty dollar. no one gives a shit about customer satisfaction or comfort anymore.

Now you're just turning me on.

------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Rhinoceros (edited 06-21-2002).]

Old 06-21-2002, 08:30 AM   #47
kypper

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Moan Gestapo:
Valid point.

Although my girlfriend did this once, stole my dinner while I was sleeping.
I hope you made her puke it up!

[This message has been edited by kypper (edited 06-21-2002).]

Old 06-21-2002, 05:06 PM   #48
Lie

Quote:
That makes sense. I was coming back to this thread ready to bitch someone out, but it looks like the hostility has resolved itself.