Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #181
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

This thread went from being about the band being silent on the Civil Rights Abuses of recent times to Billy being a POS to analyzing Forgotten Child's politics to comedians to Took peeing on the rug. Nice.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #182
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

And then there are people who claim it is incoherent.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #183
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

From Wikipedia,

"He is a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage and homosexuality,[3][4] abortion,[5] affirmative action,[6] drug liberalization[7] and secularism.[7] In foreign policy, he has advocated closer relations to the United States[8] and Israel.[9] During the 2018 presidential campaign, he started to advocate for economic liberal and pro-market policies.[10] A polarizing and controversial politician, his views and comments, which have been described as far-right and populist in nature, have drawn both praise and criticism in Brazil.[11][12][13][14] During his presidency, he has pushed a rollback of protections for indigenous groups in the Amazon rainforest[15] and facilitated its destruction through deforestation.[16]"

So I guess what Forgotten Child meant by "mixed bag" was that Bolsonaro is left wing economically despite being a fascist socially? But then again Forgotten Child is right wing economically and left wing socially (the exact opposite of Bolsonaro) by his own admission, so that would be a weird stance.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #184
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Took isn't that offensive. At worst he's insensitive at times, like the time he enraged posters in the Fed-Uprising thread by continuously making jokes while the rest of us were saying fuck the police comin' straight from the underground.
I like how he didnt deny the "forgot to be funny" part.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #185
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Forgotten Child, explain plz.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #186
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It sounded like he was saying that before the president's recent economic right turn, he voted largely the same way as the party that preceded him, his primary electoral opponents.

I don't know enough about Brazilian politics to try to take this guy on the internet to task for not voting in the last Brazilian election, especially if he himself doesn't like the current Brazilian president.

But the whole "Corgan is right to compare BLM to the KKK… actually, I didn't mean that, because I didn't even read the post, because I'm so used to this particular poster misquoting Corgan that I naturally assumed that she didn't misquote him this time and was responding to the man's original vague, equivocal words" is pretty weak and reeks of tergiversation.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #187
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

in fact, it reeks of "The one you reply to stuff people never said, but actually did, that I never read, but actually did. Basically, I don't agree or disagree, quite the opposite actually."

Old 06-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #188
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

the only mixed bag forgotten child should be concerned with are DEEZ NUTS

Old 06-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #189
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Forgotten Child, explain plz.
I'm really avoiding coming back to this thread. I think we're only repeating ourselves here. I'm only reply to you cause you seem genuinely interested. Just a few examples:

As a congressman for nearly 30 years, when it came to economic projects, Bolsonaro used to vote with the left wing parties most of the time. He was still advocating against privatisation and pension reform in Brazil while in pre-campaign (2018) – which means he only "changed" his mind recently. Even after that, he dehydrated the pension reform and is holding back a few other so promised reforms, and is now forming a coalition with the centrist parties.

While he was always very critical of Brazil's biggest social welfare program, there was a R$ 3.1 billion increase in the Bolsa Família budget in he's first year at office, and it was extended to more than 1.5 million and a half families. They're now discussing a new program, which apparently will be even bigger than Bolsa Família.

He praised both Pinochet and Hugo Chavez in the past .

That's what I mean by "mixed bag". He's a typical populist leader, they all are seduced by power and will try to entice you to support them, even if he needs to change his positions every now and again.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 06-10-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #190
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I'm really avoiding coming back to this thread. I think we're only repeating ourselves here. I'm only reply to you cause you seem genuinely interested. Just a few examples:

As a congressman for nearly 30 years, when it came to economic projects, Bolsonaro used to vote with the left wing parties most of the time. He was still advocating against privatisation and pension reform in Brazil while in pre-campaign (2018) – which means he only "changed" his mind recently. Even after that, he dehydrated the pension reform and is holding back a few other so promised reforms, and is now forming a coalition with the centrist parties.

While he was always very critical of Brazil's biggest social welfare program, there was a R$ 3.1 billion increase in the Bolsa Família budget in he's first year at office, and it was extended to more than 1.5 million and a half families. They're now discussing a new program, which apparently will be even bigger than Bolsa Família.

He praised both Pinochet and Hugo Chavez in the past .

That's what I mean by "mixed bag". He's a typical populist leader, they all are seduced by power and will try to entice you to support them, even if he needs to change his positions every now and again.
Ok, I'm just confused because it seems like his views are opposite yours both socially and economically. Although maybe he's moving closer towards your views economically now?

Old 06-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #191
myosis
Minion of Satan

I don't know enough about Forgotten Child's history to give an opinion on the calls of fascism, but he seems to have clearly stated that he's not a Bolsonaro supporter, so what is it you're trying to understand exactly?

Old 06-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #192
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Ok, I'm just confused because it seems like his views are opposite yours both socially and economically. Although maybe he's moving closer towards your views economically now?
I believe his Minister of the Economy, Paulo Guedes, is closer towards my views, but Bolsonaro himself isn't genuinely like him and could fire him whenever he feels threatened, and switch back to his former views. It happened to his Minister of Justice and Public Securit, a former federal judge, who resigned last month. Some Brazilian libertarians bought that change, I didn't.

I don't regret not supporting either Bolsonaro or the Workers Party, by the way which had been in the office for the past 16 years and led one of the biggest corrupt scandals in history. We had 11 other candidates, but their supporters decided to bring them both for the second round, and then they bullied everybody else into voting for their own candidate, not because you trusted either, but because "how could you allow such and such person to become the president!?". Voting is compulsory in Brazil

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #193
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I keep telling myself one day I'll explore more stand up comedians. I love George Carlin. I like what I've heard from Dave Chappelle (not always stand up though) and Bill Hicks. For more modern people I've briefly listened to stand up bits of, I liked Michael Che from SNL. Melissa Villaseńor from SNL is adorable and funny too. I'll have to check out Patrice O'Neal whenever I finally decide to really start exploring standup in depth. Do you have any other recommendations?
Hannibal Burress, Bill Burr, David Cross

Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #194
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
And then there are people who claim it is incoherent.
the thing with a thread like this is that, after the initial premise has been responded to, there's really nowhere to go and we start having the thing some boarders seem to fear more than death itself: an actual conversation

Old 06-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #195
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
Hannibal Burress, Bill Burr, David Cross
I love Burress.

I'd add Stewart Lee, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Daniel Simonsen… Sebastian Maniscalco had a good special, but I haven't found anything else from him equally funny yet.

And damn it, I'm sorry, but I still find Louis CK really funny. I still condemn all that bad stuff he did, though.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #196
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I like Maniscalco when he's really digging into the disgruntled Italian classic comedian thing, but yeah his last special was produced like an EDM concert

& yeah, Louis is one of the best of all time. sleazy personal activities from the mid-2000s don't detract from how fucking good those specials are

Old 06-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #197
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I love Burress.

I'd add Stewart Lee, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Daniel Simonsen… Sebastian Maniscalco had a good special, but I haven't found anything else from him equally funny yet.

And damn it, I'm sorry, but I still find Louis CK really funny. I still condemn all that bad stuff he did, though.
Sigh. Yes. Louis. Horace and Pete was so great, and my guts literally ached for days after I saw him live in 2012. It breaks my heart that he did those shitty things and then didn't atone for it and is now basically an alt-right comedian.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #198
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Also I can't stand Bill Burr. COME AT ME!

Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #199
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 06-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #200
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
now basically an alt-right comedian.
I hope this is not true. if so, I don't want to know it

Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #201
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Ok.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #202
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Shhh nobody tell smashingjj that Louis CK is basically an alt-right comedian now.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #203
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

thanks.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #204
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol how unimportant the sp became. Noone besides me or a handful others fuckers care about vol.2.
For the rest of the world the sp have become an embarrassing estranged thing. The music has developed into vollkommener Dreck.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #205
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Blame the brazilian people and americans for supporting a fascist president. Congrats...very clever

Old 06-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #206
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

the world at large waits with Bated breath for shiny heino 2

i don't ever want to see you suggesting otherwise again, ok?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #207
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Sigh. Yes. Louis. Horace and Pete was so great, and my guts literally ached for days after I saw him live in 2012. It breaks my heart that he did those shitty things and then didn't atone for it and is now basically an alt-right comedian.
Quote:
Also I can't stand Bill Burr. COME AT ME!
you know, i probably would have slotted you pretty comfortably in my Top 5 Current Boarders list up until you made these 2 posts here

you're still probably on the list, just maybe not so comfortably

Old 06-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #208
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

probably, maybe

take a fucking stance Goldberg am I right?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #209
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

here's your stance:

TEAM SHINY HEINO 2, BABY, WOO

Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #210
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I just realised I'm over waiting for the Machina and Zwan re-issue. Like I used to get a tiny bit of excitement whenever there was an update, but these days... Billy is such a monumentally unpleasant and vile fucking cunt and his new music is so consistently horrible, I don't care.

I'd brace yourselves for a ton of dirt to come out once he carks it and cannot threaten people with his big boy lawyers.

Fuck Billy Corgan.