Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #751
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
you can get smart phones for like $30. yeah they aren't great but for $30 they can do like 75% of what a $300 phone can do
Yeah, but then you go from a monthly bare-bones bill of $10 to $60, at minimum (in my experience, at least). Gotta have that data plan!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #752
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I went to Verizon two years ago and stripped my smart phone to the most basic package and the lowest I could get it to was $55 a month. Anyone have a cheaper smart phone plan they care to share?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #753
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah I couldn't justify paying $60 a month for a plan when I just don't need it

Old 04-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #754
redbreegull

people see my phone and they are always like oh you know smart phones aren't that expensive really and then I say my plan is ten bucks a month and they are like

https://i.giphy.com/l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS.gif

Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #755
redbreegull

it kind of amazes me how much people feel that they NEED to replace their old shit because it isn't as nice or up-to-date as new shit. no I don't have a smart phone but I do have a garmin from 2011 in my car which still gets me to the right destination 60% of the time you know?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #756
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
it kind of amazes me how much people feel that they NEED to replace their old shit because it isn't as nice or up-to-date as new shit. no I don't have a smart phone but I do have a garmin from 2011 in my car which still gets me to the right destination 60% of the time you know?
Yeah, it's just classic consumerism, maaaannnnn.

But seriously, the disposable nature of technology these days is fucking frightening. Gotta upgrade to the newest iPhone even though the iPhone from last year still works fine! I mean, what am I, a monster?!

Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #757
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

My smart phone is a four-year old Droid with a cracked screen that gets really warm when I fiddle with it for more than 15 minutes at a time. I am using that bitch until it bursts into flames.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #758
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
you hate capitalism, but you're gonna lol at someone for having a flip phone.

i feel like lol'ing when people get worked up over phones, so i guess i get lol'ing at things you wouldn't do.
When you're just communist enough to scoff at consumerism but still throw shade at folks for having ghetto-ass phones 👌

Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #759
Disco King
Minion of Satan

http://img.memecdn.com/when-the-comm..._o_6876817.jpg

Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #760
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I feel like this is the third or fourth time we've discussed redbreegull's flip phone.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #761
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

And it won't be the last!

Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #762
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I went to Verizon two years ago and stripped my smart phone to the most basic package and the lowest I could get it to was $55 a month. Anyone have a cheaper smart phone plan they care to share?
cricket wireless, $35 a month, unlimited txt/phone and 3.5gb lte and then it goes to 3G i think, never hit the cap

Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #763
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i use my phones until they break and refuse to pay more then $200 for a new phone. not that that's all that frugal but i don't get buying an $800 phone every year, fuck that shit. i use the fuck out of my phone though, really at this point i need it for instant access to email and dropbox for school, plus use it to record lectures for my hardest classes. professors expect you to get their email an hour before class now. i use it for directions/reddit/banking/university website/constantly googling shit... i don't spend a lot of time on it but i use it often

Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #764
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
cricket wireless, $35 a month, unlimited txt/phone and 3.5gb lte and then it goes to 3G i think, never hit the cap
What is a cricket wireless? I'm too stupid/lazy to Google and enjoy having things explained to me.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #765
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Why you've got a cheap phone you gotta put SP mp3s on it

Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #766
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
class morality volleyed from an unexpected trajectory, you almost hit me with your consumerism bro
its about utility, i'm sorry that you are still thinking they cost a fortune but they don't & there are job opportunities to be had with them & i can't overlook that

can you send someone a job resume while standing in front of them with a flip top? can you do the new gig apps with your flip top?

i mean its like having a computer in your pocket and you guys are still talking about "novelty" jesus christ sad shit indeed

Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #767
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
What is a cricket wireless? I'm too stupid/lazy to Google and enjoy having things explained to me.
it's AT&Ts budget carrier

Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #768
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
its about utility, i'm sorry that you are still thinking they cost a fortune but they don't & there are job opportunities to be had with them & i can't overlook that

can you send someone a job resume while standing in front of them with a flip top? can you do the new gig apps with your flip top?

i mean its like having a computer in your pocket and you guys are still talking about "novelty" jesus christ sad shit indeed
i think i had this convo with you about 3-4 years ago before you got one

Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #769
Trotskilicious
Banned

apparently having a flip top is like being a liberal, its like you're interested in posturing like you're anti-consumer but you're not brave enough to just go sans phone

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #770
redbreegull

Quote:

so I should buy this product because it will help me survive in the capitalist wasteland huh

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #771
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
it's AT&Ts budget carrier
Ah, and so you buy the $300 phone and then sign the plan? I think I'm going to backtrack to a flip-phone with Verizon soon (I got a drawer full of them) if they can't get me into whatever rbg's got going on.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #772
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i think i had this convo with you about 3-4 years ago before you got one
i know, i was just as obstinate as these people & its even less of a moral high ground now

i mean rbg is over here just flaunting his total ignorance of the entire thing 300 dollar phones and 60 dollar plans like whatever dude are you on your family's plan and never have to think about it yeah you got communism points on me there

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #773
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
so I should buy this product because it will help me survive in the capitalist wasteland huh
a smart phone? yes.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #774
Trotskilicious
Banned

its a fundamental leap in the way humans do things and you're talking about fucking capitalism

you know radicals use these things to socialize & network right? fuck

Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #775
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i have the oldest cheapest flip phone verizon still makes. it makes calls and texts
Quote:
The beetle then comes after us and in self-defense, I close my flip phone on it.
Quote:
She might be the first person I have ever encountered who didn't comment on my flip phone
Quote:
My flip phone calls and sends texts, what else do I need it for? I don't need a computer in my phone, I have a computer in my computer.
Quote:
I only have a flip phone, and he hasn't paid the bill on his smartphone in months.
Quote:
I operate by using the phone as little as possible. my little flip phone is mainly for texting
Quote:
I still have a flip phone even though it's not the most convenient because smart phones are so expensive
Well, I guess I was wrong about the three or four times thing.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #776
redbreegull

I have literally never been in a situation where I had so send someone a résumé while they were standing in front of me but I'm sure preparing for that contingency is worth hundreds of dollars a year

Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #777
Trotskilicious
Banned

like you have the internet in your pocket, the whole internet and you're like "seems like a fad" or "this is nothing more than consumer culture"

THERE'S A FUCKING COMPUTER
IN
YOUR
POCKET

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #778
redbreegull

Quote:
i know, i was just as obstinate as these people & its even less of a moral high ground now

i mean rbg is over here just flaunting his total ignorance of the entire thing 300 dollar phones and 60 dollar plans like whatever dude are you on your family's plan and never have to think about it yeah you got communism points on me there
my family does not have a phone plan?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #779
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

rbg, you should write a song called "My Flip Phone" and post a video of you playing it to YouTube.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #780
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I have literally never been in a situation where I had so send someone a résumé while they were standing in front of me but I'm sure preparing for that contingency is worth hundreds of dollars a year
i have virgin mobile and have paid $30 a month since i got on virgin mobile before we even had flip tops and we just had those tiny little puck phones which you probably don't remember

30 a month, dude. do some fucking research already jesus.