Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #241
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
sup breeg

how's life lately
Things are p. normal. I ended it with Pizza Girl, probably for the best but I'm lonely again. Been playing Skyrim. Picked up some nice weed from a new weed man (jam band guy has ghosted me). Today I tried for 15 minutes to explain to my coworker how seasons work (he thought Japan had opposite seasons of the US and I'm not sure he believed me when I said Japan is not in the southern hemisphere). I fasted today and it's usually easy for me but today I thought I was gonna pass the fuck out, I felt mad fatigued and sleepy. Bagels and fish for dinner though so it's all good. Yeah I guess that's it for now.

How's Shanghai?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #242
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I know there's a decent audience for competitive eating, too. It hurts me to watch it, though. That man vs food guy isn't as fat as he should be.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #243
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Things are p. normal. I ended it with Pizza Girl, probably for the best but I'm lonely again. Been playing Skyrim. Picked up some nice weed from a new weed man (jam band guy has ghosted me). Today I tried for 15 minutes to explain to my coworker how seasons work (he thought Japan had opposite seasons of the US and I'm not sure he believed me when I said Japan is not in the southern hemisphere). I fasted today and it's usually easy for me but today I thought I was gonna pass the fuck out, I felt mad fatigued and sleepy. Bagels and fish for dinner though so it's all good. Yeah I guess that's it for now.

How's Shanghai?
I had this exact conversation about seasons in Japan a few days ago. I know he still thinks he's right.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #244
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The Passion of Joey Chestnut

Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #245
redbreegull

I know I have talked about this guy before, he's the worst. He is extremely opinionated but knows next to nothing about anything. yesterday he was lecturing me on why Obama is to blame for Syria because he knows there must be "something" Obama could do to get Assad and the rebels to form a government together.

"You know in Japan, they have the opposite seasons! When it is summer here, it's getting cold there."
"Uh... I'm like almost certain that isn't true."
"Yes it is! Haven't you ever heard that Christmas is in the summer in Australia?"
"...uh yeah, Australia is in the southern hemisphere."
"Yes, so is Japan."
".... ...... .......no, Australia is on the other side of the equator as us. That's why they have opposite seasons. Japan is up near Russia and Korea. It's on the same side of the equator as the US"
"No, Japan is on the opposite side of the world as us."

Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #246
buzzard
Minion of Satan

A colleague of yours?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #247
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Its actually himself. This argument happened with him.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #248
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

there is definitely a personality type of the chronically ignorant who don't care to know the truth. i'm trying to work it into my paper about dishonesty, somehow. it's mostly about evolutionary reasons for deception and deception in non-human animals (and even bacteria and fungi engage in game theory, believe it or not), but I also want to ******* things such as benevolent lying and maleveolent truth-telling. hopefully i can find some kind of data or theories about willful ignorance. like it's some kind of coping mechanism to deal with the uncertainty of life or some shit, maybe?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #249
Disco King
Minion of Satan

In my philosophy and psychology class (it's pretty much philosophy of mind), we were looking at self-deception, if it's a tenable concept or not, and different theories about it. One theory is that it occurs when one arrives at a false conclusion due to a motivated biased treatment of data, and another is that people who are self-deceived actually know the truth, they are just pretending not to.

The thing about people who just don't care about the truth reminds me of Frankfurt's "On Bullshit." According to him, bullshit is distinct from lying, because with lying, the liar knows a proposition is false, but wants to convince somebody that it's true. With bullshit, the bullshitter doesn't even care if the proposition is true or false, their motivation for trying to convince the other person of it is to look smart or impress them or keep up some sort of appearance.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #250
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
there is definitely a personality type of the chronically ignorant who don't care to know the truth. i'm trying to work it into my paper about dishonesty, somehow. it's mostly about evolutionary reasons for deception and deception in non-human animals (and even bacteria and fungi engage in game theory, believe it or not), but I also want to ******* things such as benevolent lying and maleveolent truth-telling. hopefully i can find some kind of data or theories about willful ignorance. like it's some kind of coping mechanism to deal with the uncertainty of life or some shit, maybe?
This guy would make an interesting case study. He's not a stupid person per se. He's an immigrant who speaks two languages, has a decent education, and he's actually pretty articulate. He just happens to be wrong about nearly everything he says. Some of the crazy stuff he says is motivated by his worldview. He's very religious and repeats a lot of nutty stuff about Muslims or the Bible (the Old Testament predicts the future coming of a new Chinese Empire which will rule the whole world, e.g.). It's weird though because he also loves science and he spends all day listening to NPR. He has expressed dismay to me that he can't reconcile certain aspects of science and his religion. He is also capable of changing his mind sometimes if you argue with him long enough and present him with enough evidence.

But he also has this tendency to just make stuff up completely, like if he doesn't know something his brain seems to just feel in the missing piece with conjecture, and then he will defend his blind assumptions like he knows them to be hard fact.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #251
redbreegull

lol btw this guy also believes humans can't go to space in case anyone missed that episode. Not just that the moon landing was staged, but that humans physically are far away from the capability of leaving our atmosphere. He doesn't believe any probe or anything human-made has ever left Earth.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #252
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Guy sounds a bit special needs

Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #253
LaBelle
Socialphobic

... the age of freely available information.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #254
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
It definitely reeks of typical Participation Trophy Generation bullshit. Like, everyone needs to be recognized for every skill they possess, no matter how trivial.

Fuck I feel old.
I mean this is how I feel about baseball

Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #255
Elphenor
Braindead

I wouldn't be surprised if Faker has quicker reflexes and better hand eye coordination than Hall of Fame batters if such a thing were testable

This is something I can say because I've played both games

Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #256
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
TIME magazine called it the "product of the year"
The top loading dryer?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #257
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
The top-loading dryer?
I made this joke already, apparently.

+ 1 for consistency. I <3 me.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #258
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Today I learned that you can't type '+ 1' without the space.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #259
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

This post-fuzzy world feels like we're at a funeral for someone who we all knew was going to die sooner rather than later, and no one is paying attention or taking it seriously.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #260
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Fuck, now I want to eat some bananas.

*checks couch cushions for three nickels*

Old 02-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #261
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

*ironically finds three bananas instead*

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #262
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Mods, pls change my name to ThreeBananas

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #263
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Lol, once I hid a banana in a drawer to trick my mom because she insisted I had to eat it.
After a few days the smell became really unbearable, and she found out what i did. She made me clean the drawr myself, it was horrible. The black spot never went away.

She never insisted in having me eat banana after that tho. So it worked
I once pooped in the drawer of a desk in my bedroom. Because reasons?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #264
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

But what can I say, 2017 was a tough year for a lot of us.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #265
FoolofaTook

This is what I returned to?

ugh

Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #266
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I know, post-fuzzy life is a harsh reality.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #267
LaBelle
Socialphobic

drawr

Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #268
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Super Mario Don't Sunshine No More

Old 02-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #269
FoolofaTook

I fasted today and it's usually easy for me but today I thought I was gonna pass the fuck out, I felt mad fatigued and sleepy. Bagels and fish for dinner though so it's all good. Yeah I guess that's it for now.

How's Shanghai?

Old 02-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #270
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

It's not Shanglo, that's for sure!