Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
The Melty Man
Ownz

Default Australian General Election November 24

There's no thread for this topic as far as I can tell, either that or us Australians are so insignificant it's plummetted to the bottom already.

So yeah, discuss. I myself must confess I am a supporter of John Howard and the Liberal Party to my bootheels, but that's just my point of view. Actually I like Treasurer Peter Costello a lot and I hope the Liberal Party/National Party coalition wins so he gets to the Lodge at long last.

My politics is weird like that, I'm largely what you would call RINO or even a "Democrat" in U.S. politics, but I'm a firm believer in freedom of association and low taxes/full employment, hence my support for the centre-right coalition here in Aus.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

I am starting work on Monday for the Labour party woot!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
The Melty Man
Ownz

Which one?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

ha ha K-Rudd

Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
The Melty Man
Ownz

Whereabouts you working?

I hear he has custody of Britney's kids now.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

melbourne, where are you?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
kingliam
Amish Rake Fighter

Go Rudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even though he has a mouth that looks like a cats arsehole I wanna see what he can do. I'm so fucking sick of Howard man I reckon it really is time for him to go.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

god fuck no more howard plz

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man
Whereabouts you working?

I hear he has custody of Britney's kids now.
lol.

okay being inside the beast that is a major political party is very twilight zone. My cynisism has reached an all time high just from listening to and watching how things operate from the inside. It's not only interactions with political oponents but between people who are trying to achieve the same goal.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
stephen_bayne
Demi-God

I'll admit I'm shitting myself over this campaign. Workchoices and a decent opposition (I quite like Rudd) should have Howard out on his arse but I don't have faith in the Australian people to do it.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah you're not wrong there.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
stephen_bayne
Demi-God

Doesn't help that it feels very much like certain media outlets like 7, 9 and the Hun are obviously pulling for Howard. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears as I watched 7's 4:30 news presenter practically beg the bloke from newspoll to tell her that Howard was still a chance after that last poll that swang Rudd's way.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man
There's no thread for this topic as far as I can tell, either that or us Australians are so insignificant it's plummetted to the bottom already.

So yeah, discuss. I myself must confess I am a supporter of John Howard and the Liberal Party to my bootheels, but that's just my point of view. Actually I like Treasurer Peter Costello a lot and I hope the Liberal Party/National Party coalition wins so he gets to the Lodge at long last.

My politics is weird like that, I'm largely what you would call RINO or even a "Democrat" in U.S. politics, but I'm a firm believer in freedom of association and low taxes/full employment, hence my support for the centre-right coalition here in Aus.
I'm with you on that. But I think it's the end of the road for Howard. Costello will be pissed off. Howard did a really good job with the Australian economy especially in the early years and I'm a little surprised voters are forgetting that. Then again... they are voters.

Labor as a party might as well not have existed for 10 of the last 11 years tho. What a hopeless excuse for a political party.

(me = Australian living in USA)

Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshinobu's revenge
(me = Australian living in USA)
Can you vote abroad? How does it work for Australians?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

oh yeah he's gotta vote, I had to last time when i was in the UK, lines of pissed aussies at the embassy trying not to fall over. Its compulsory to vote if your a citizen.

yoshinobu's revenge totally agree with that. the labour party have been a poor excuse for an opposition, form leadership merry go rounds, how many times for Beazley? to no policy that was appealing to the majority of voters for the last two elections at least. Howard love him or not knew how to speak to the issues at the forefront of people's minds

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #16
Fritter
Ownz

It's not compulsory to vote, it's compulsory to front up at a polling booth so they can tick your name off. Then you can just leave, draw dicks all over the selection form or whatever.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

yes very true.

but to answer Ropey's question if your over 18 you have to be on the electoral role. If not you get fined. if you are on the electoral role and don't vote you are also fined. Democracy in action.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekdflyfire
yoshinobu's revenge totally agree with that. the labour party have been a poor excuse for an opposition, form leadership merry go rounds, how many times for Beazley? to no policy that was appealing to the majority of voters for the last two elections at least. Howard love him or not knew how to speak to the issues at the forefront of people's minds
This is true, it's been painful watching Labour in opposition shooting themselves in the foot for so many years.

I don't think it says much for the Australian voting public that what Howard says has been successful, the man has some terrible ideas and some of the policies they've been following, Jesus

I really can't stand him though, so colour me biased I guess.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

My anus is sore from the diarrhea I had yesterday.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

went to a public forum last night in a safe labour seat, The Libs didnt bother to so citing scheduling conflicts, which where then explained away by the moderator. I was the youngest person there by a mile, does no one care when the seat is safe?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
trev
charm

voted yesterday, final answer "the greens" lock it in eddie.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #22
The Melty Man
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
voted yesterday, final answer "the greens" lock it in eddie.
the real answer, who did you prefernece in this bs instant runoff voting, and 2 eddie you shall never be my prezident, go elizabeth ii any day or failing that b0lly i. and go australians for staying number 3 on the politics forum. and let me say this, even though the labor reunion may be going, it will last only as long as kevin krudd + julia gillard + ginger reyes + jeff schroeder. then we'll all drown in al gore's global warning.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
mercurial
$ W▲ G

centrebet is paying $4.35 for a coalition win ... think i'll be slipping a lazy 20 on that horse this afternoon
I consider this my contribution to the australian political landscape

Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #24
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

country's gonna be fucked again if labor win.

no one seems to remember or even know about paul keating's run and the way he handled the economy and the resulting recession. supposedly we're due for another recession next year and if labor are in, it's gonna be handled terribly and yeah, we'll be fucked all over again.

anyone in their right mind (admittedly there are few) can't stand the coalition for maybe not-so-obvious reasons (as in, besides criticising howard for the way he fucking looks...), but putting a labor government in now, especially when our economy is doing so well (93 cents to the US dollar i think? i understand this is only one facet of it and probably has more to do with the US economy going down the shitter, but the point still stands), is just asking for trouble.

sorry about all the brackets

Old 11-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #25
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid_love
country's gonna be fucked again if labor win.

no one seems to remember or even know about paul keating's run and the way he handled the economy and the resulting recession. supposedly we're due for another recession next year and if labor are in, it's gonna be handled terribly and yeah, we'll be fucked all over again.

anyone in their right mind (admittedly there are few) can't stand the coalition for maybe not-so-obvious reasons (as in, besides criticising howard for the way he fucking looks...), but putting a labor government in now, especially when our economy is doing so well (93 cents to the US dollar i think? i understand this is only one facet of it and probably has more to do with the US economy going down the shitter, but the point still stands), is just asking for trouble.

sorry about all the brackets
because to some unselfish people there are more important things than money.

human rights
equality
environment
war

the liberal / coalition history and current stances on these issues makes me angry.

i'd rather be poor and in debt than have the worst of the above other issues.

and to answer the question of my preferences:

my representative preferences went to labor.
my senate vote was green above the line.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #26
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

don't be an idiot man

the government has nothing to do with any of that stuff. come on you think labor are interested in your human rights? they're interested in money and power just like any other sociopath politicians and they're always going to put the economy first. this is capitalism, wake up and smell the horsehshit

Old 11-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #27
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
i'd rather be poor and in debt than have the worst of the above other issues.
and i think this is the dumbest thing you've ever said

Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #28
trev
charm

first off i don't think labor are perfect, or the best. and i never said so. they are much better than the coalition though.

i voted greens. i think they have the best ideas for this country.

how can you think the government has no effect on those issues? they decide the national stance and action on war. they decide what is legal or not in terms of discrimination; including gender, sexuality, race, etc. they decide what environmental standards businesses must keep. it is only the government that has the most immediate power to control these issues with legislation on a national scale.

yes interest rates and taxes and economics are under their control too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid_love
they're always going to put the economy first
isn't the whole liberal scare campaign based on the fact that labor will "screw up" the economy? that would be almost impossible to do if it was their first priority.
"can you afford to pay your mortgage under a labor government" - pretty important stuff liberal is pushing there. big world issue, mortgage repayments.

but it's all about values and principles. money doesn't mean much to me. having australians in the war means a lot to me. liberals claiming that producing 4.5 times our fair share of the worlds current high level carbon emissions as being "ok" means a lot to me (sourced from liberals own policy website - australia is producing 1.5% of the worlds carbon emissions. our percentage of the worlds population is just 0.32%). i could go on, but i wasn't trying to argue huge issues here, it's pretty pointless. i mean we all know where to go to get the information, i'm just sharing my point of view. well at least i hope we are all smart enough not to rely on the information the media feeds us, and to actually read through each parties policies available online at each parties website.

money is not the be all and end all. regardless of how many people believe so, it's a personal issue and a personal choice, you don't have to play the game if you don't want to. there are many alternative sustainable and in my opinion better ways to live. it's not easier, but to get rewards in life, in this case the reward of a healthy planet, you have to make some sacrifices. it's not rocket science to understand that.

Last edited by trev : 11-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #29
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Conservative labour politicians = :|

Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #30
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Ruddslide!