Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
DamingR
SPFUN!

Default Confirmed tapers for Orange Peel Shows?

Do we have a list of confirmed tapers for the Orange Peel shows?

I am planning on taking my Panasonic DS-250 for video on 6/26 & 6/27 and want to make sure there are going to be some high quality audio rigs there to sync up. Also, it would be ideal to do some multi-cam mixes. I have the editing software to do a 3 cam mix, but we need to decide 16x9 or 4x3.

I know there was a taper thread the day tickets went on sale, but can we get an updated taper roster?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
bigu2fan
Pledge

I plant to video the 7/5 show with a Sony DV camcorder and tripod. I will be happy to torrent, etc., but it will take some time before I am able to get the tape transfered to my computer and edited with chapters, etc.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
gjackx
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamingR
I know there was a taper thread the day tickets went on sale, but can we get an updated taper roster?
Is there an updated taper roster anywhere?

I'll be @ the three middle shows, and was thinking of coming out of taper retirement to tape them (D8-Sonic Studios), if the need is there.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
the arms of sleep
Pledge

every recording of every one of these club shows is going to be unlistenable due to crowd vocals. id bring my taping stuff, but i just dont care to have another lousy sounding pumpkins recording. why bother lugging all that gear just so that you can hear some local teens singing along to the hits? im sure some clown will record it with their phone anyway.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
gjackx
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the arms of sleep
every recording of every one of these club shows is going to be unlistenable due to crowd vocals. id bring my taping stuff, but i just dont care to have another lousy sounding pumpkins recording. why bother lugging all that gear just so that you can hear some local teens singing along to the hits? im sure some clown will record it with their phone anyway.
I'm a little worried about this myself. However, it is dang near impossible to get a "perfect" audience recording anyway. The Orange Peel has NO balcony, correct?

Where is Agnew and his soundboard access, when we need him?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

If it's open taping can someone not just stick a mic on a really long pole so it's above the crowd...Just an idea.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Skradgee
Boardcaster

If you bring your own recorder, it doesn't hurt to nicely ask if you can get a hook-up from the soundboard...especially since SP2 is allowing open taping.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaldz
If it's open taping can someone not just stick a mic on a really long pole so it's above the crowd...Just an idea.
Advanced, badass tapers bring collapsable micstands to shows with them.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
gjackx
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skradgee
Advanced, badass tapers bring collapsable micstands to shows with them.
For those bands that "allow" taping. I realize that the Pumpkins do now, but not back in the day. I'm an old-school stealth taper myself.

I might just have to hide my gear, out of habit!

For the record, anyone bringing micstands???

Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

I hope someone at least asks nicely if they can borrow one little socket of the SBD if they keep out of the way...

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
gjackx
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaldz
I hope someone at least asks nicely if they can borrow one little socket of the SBD if they keep out of the way...
You can ask all you want, but permission will have to come from the band (ie. from Billy).

The guys at the board won't be in a position to do that on their own.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Day dreaming Of Darcy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the arms of sleep
I can't tell if you're a troll or not.. but you have one shitty attitude. For someone who claims to be a 'former taper,' you must have really sucked to be this bitter.

good tapes will pulled... no question

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjackx
You can ask all you want, but permission will have to come from the band (ie. from Billy).

The guys at the board won't be in a position to do that on their own.
I guess you're right.

->>Somebody should nicely ask THE BAND if we can get a hook-ups from the soundboard.<<-

Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
DamingR
SPFUN!

I guess I am going to bring my camcorder and a tripod. Hopefully there won't be a problem using a tripod in the back of the venue.

If anyone is going tomorrow night and can update us on some of these details it would be greatly appreciated.

I would rent a HD camcorder, but $200 is a little too much. Bummer it's not a little more reasonable, or I would do it.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
DamingR
SPFUN!

Quote:
Is there an updated taper roster anywhere?

I'll be @ the three middle shows, and was thinking of coming out of taper retirement to tape them (D8-Sonic Studios), if the need is there.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
You had better bring your stuff. I think that a lot of the former SP tapers are in taping retirement - I can't even find my damn mics now.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

How about someone call the OP and ask them about mic stands and the video policy? They have seemed very gracious so far with fans asking them for info. I'm not going to the OP else I'd call. I will check for the Fillmore though

Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #17
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

I will be attempting to do video (with a tripod) for 6/26 and 6/27.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
gjackx
Oblivious Virgin

From my new friend Karen @ the Orange Peel...about what I expected. Here's the info:

You can use audio/video you can hold. We don't have room for tripods, mike stands, or equipment bags/cases on the floor (which will get stepped on/tripped over and have beer spilled in). This is a standing venue with no taper's section, so folks need to be able to record without interfering with the folks who just came to listen.
Hope that helps,
Karen

Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
the arms of sleep
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day dreaming Of Darcy
I can't tell if you're a troll or not.. but you have one shitty attitude. For someone who claims to be a 'former taper,' you must have really sucked to be this bitter.

good tapes will pulled... no question
im not a troll and i believe i actually did a trade with you circa 2000. i am very adept at what i am doing taping-wise as i am a recording engineer professionally. you are naive if you think anyone is going to get a good audience tape out of that place. the crowd noise will be overpowering. the same thing happened with death cab for cutie. i used to get great audience tapes until all the teens showed up because they got a song on the radio. mark my words ddod, these tapes will suck no matter how good the equipment is. unless you have stopped making those mics of yours and developed some sort of super secret hush hush "anti teenage girl noise unit." if you have developed said unit, please contact me.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
Day dreaming Of Darcy
Ownz

directional mics.... super secret enough?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
so... cardioids?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #22
the arms of sleep
Pledge

Quote:
as long as the sound is there, you're going to pick it up. maybe a little less thay you would with omnis, yes, but any microphone, even a shotgun will pick up the noise. it will be coming from all directions. short of close miking billy, youre not going to hear a clean tape.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #23
redbull
Immortal

Thumbs down

I think people who want ultra-clean tapes with zero crowd noise are nuts. If someone hung mics over the balcony (is there a balcony?), that would probably sound fine. I dont see why you couldn't get a good FoB if you had people blocking for you as well.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
From my new friend Karen @ the Orange Peel...about what I expected. Here's the info:

You can use audio/video you can hold. We don't have room for tripods, mike stands, or equipment bags/cases on the floor (which will get stepped on/tripped over and have beer spilled in). This is a standing venue with no taper's section, so folks need to be able to record without interfering with the folks who just came to listen.
Hope that helps,
Karen
people run mic stands all the time @ orange peel.
the last show i taped there had 4 audio mic stands and 2 people running tripods for video.

i'll be @ 6/26+27+29. maybe the 30th too.

i'm bringing my stand.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull
I dont see why you couldn't get a good FoB if you had people blocking for you as well.
which is why someone needs to set me up with a round trip plane ticket, hotel, and tickets for the shows.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #26
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fogelsong
which is why someone needs to set me up with a round trip plane ticket, hotel, and tickets for the shows.

i have had andrew blocking for me before. he can make people move.
someone should hook him up with a plane ticket. at this point right now i have an extra for 6/29 if you get out here.