Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #151
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
But in exchange you'd have to deal with a human Jesus.
I could deal with it. I think. Actually I couldn't, I love mah Jaysus. I just want the holidays.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #152
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
so according to a law from a religion I don't believe in, I belong to them

ok makes sense
dude jews are more than just the religion
like howard stern is an atheist but he still identifies as a jew
woody allen too

Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #153
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
what are you talking about

Nobody ever really gets away from being raised catholic

Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #154
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i call it residual catholicism

and eulogy's binary view of right and wrong is definitely a symptom

Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #155
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i call it residual catholicism

and eulogy's binary view of right and wrong is definitely a symptom
leave me the fuck alone

Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #156
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah so our entire society is molded around Christianity, it permeates our every institution, our every moral judgement, and our every thought... but if you don't believe Jesus died on the cross for the sins of mankind, you aren't Christian.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #157
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower View Post
dude jews are more than just the religion
like howard stern is an atheist but he still identifies as a jew
woody allen too
well that's their right but I don't get it. I'm descended from Europeans, I definitely don't have anything beyond nominal Hebrew-race blood in my veins. I think Yahweh is a fucking clown of a character who basically embodies a lot of crappy human qualities. I think Jewish laws about food and the body are archaically-minded nonsense. I've never been to a temple service, I wasn't bar mitzvahed, and I think Israel is a dangerous rogue state which should have all US funding pulled. I find nothing appealing about Judaism. I would identify myself as a cultural Christian before I would identify myself as a cultural Jew.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #158
Eulogy
huh

eh nvm

Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #159
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

still a jew. BURN HIM

Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #160
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
All I was saying about language was that I don't know if Germans have an exact translation for the English holocaust literally meaning sacrificial destruction by fire, and if they do, I don't know if that word is the word they use to refer to THE HOLOCAUST. And holocaust did not go out of use hundreds of years ago, I don't even know what you are talking about
what what what. a) germans use the word "der Holocaust". b) holocaust is a greek word that is (as far as i know) never used in english in its literal sense. in all the bible translations i know it's (i.e. the parts that could be translated from hebrew into greek like that-i think they are in the septuagint) translated "burnt offering" or some shit. as for greek religion, i think scholars would prefer to call that holokauston or something.

but as for what i said earlier, i have nothing against using the term for a whole bunch of things. i was just stating the situation in germany (i thought it might be interesting to some since germany is the first association with the word i'm sure).

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #161
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Der man, der hat, der kuss. Der something der autobus.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #162
Trotskilicious
Banned

eulogy stop being such a goddamn baby about anyone saying anything to you at all jesus fucking christ

Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #163
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

einen Fuß in den anus

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #164
MusicMan4

Quote:
well that's their right but I don't get it. I'm descended from Europeans, I definitely don't have anything beyond nominal Hebrew-race blood in my veins. I think Yahweh is a fucking clown of a character who basically embodies a lot of crappy human qualities. I think Jewish laws about food and the body are archaically-minded nonsense. I've never been to a temple service, I wasn't bar mitzvahed, and I think Israel is a dangerous rogue state which should have all US funding pulled. I find nothing appealing about Judaism. I would identify myself as a cultural Christian before I would identify myself as a cultural Jew.
the examples i used basically all agree with you
like howard and woody were bar mitzvahead but they didn't buy into any of the rituals they just went along with it to make their parents happy

like you're an...ethnic jew? but you can be one and not follow the religion
its like jews arent exactly a race but they're a people of distinct characteristics
i dont know
i'm incoherent

are you neurotic? cause that would settle it

Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #165
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I was raised catholic, but consider myself an atheist now. However, the culture of the church is part of who I am whether I want it to be or not. The way I think was heavily influenced by the church, and I still have to interact with my family, which is mostly still active in the church.

and despite my protestations, if I die before my wife I know she'll have a priest in the room giving me last rights. IMO most people who are raised catholic are catholic for life, whether they believe or practice it.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #166
Eulogy
huh

i think that's widely and wildly overstated.

did it help shape who i am? of course. but beyond that, it's no longer a part of my life. if anyone puts a priest anywhere near me at my death bed i hope someone knows i would want them to be punched in the fucking mouth.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #167
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i'm an ethnic jew

i really hated Judaism for a long time. i'm definitely a non believer, but christian values minus christ minus hell certainly appeals to me more than Christianity.

jews aren't really a race but there are some debated qualities like higher than average verbal intelligence and low spatial intelligence whatever who cares

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #168
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

pretty sure that's racist and the resulting "seeming intelligence difference" i'll call it is a result of jewish culture and not biological differences

but anecdotally that probably describes me (high verbal low spacial) and i was raised pretty much in a secular household so whatever

Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #169
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i mean it's a global conspiracy satanic jews are in high places and favor satanic jews right omega concern and im a satanic jew athiest

Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #170
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
if anyone puts a priest anywhere near me at my death bed i hope someone knows i would want them to be punched in the fucking mouth.
10 years ago my father almost died of pneumonia. They told us at one point that he wouldn't survive the night and we should all say goodbye. He was heavily drugged and had a mask over his face. We weren't sure if he was actually conscious. But when a priest walked into the room (to offer last rights) my dad lifted his hand off the bed and gave the priest the middle finger.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #171
redbreegull

The physical characteristics that people associate with Jews might have to do with the Jews being traditionally insular in their communities, so certain traits get exaggerated and propagated while the introduction of genes from outside those communities is fairly limited. This is actually the same phenomena which makes us visually recognize people of any "race," be it black, caucasian, or maori... communities of individuals who breed exclusively within their community have certain phenotypes emphasized strongly. So maybe Jews could be considered a race in that way, but a lot of East Europeans have those sorts of features also. I have heard that Israelis are actually amazingly diverse looking.

I definitely don't buy this idea that being raised something makes you espoused to it forever whether you like it or not. Like I already pointed out, we live in a society that is deeply, deeply culturally Christian, and even most non-Christians have Christian-esque moral values. That is not the same as actually being a Christian by religion, which requires a literal faith in Jesus as the son of God. Scotty, I was raised with Judaism only on the periphery of my awareness. It's not like I went through Hebrew school and shit and then turned my back on it later. It has never been something I identify with. My parents were both raised Jewish and probably still identify as such even though they are hardly religious at all, which I guess is what you are saying, but to me it has never been an important or influential part of my life. Other than having the heritage, I am by no measure Jewish at all.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #172
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Shut up, Zionist!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #173
Trotskilicious
Banned

my parents were raised catholic and rejected the church sometime in their 20s but they're still pretty conservative in some areas and have raised me similar. i mean we all detest the church but we're still kind of catholic

for example, my parents taught me about sex by giving me a book and hoping health class took care of the rest

also we're all pretty moralistic and judgmental, and my mom uses guilt to get what she wants (sometimes)

my awful old guy roommate was similar too he was irish american like me, rejected the church, but put him in a priest costume he'd fool everyone. his use of guilt to get what he wants would have made an irish catholic mother blush.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 12-13-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #174
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
The physical characteristics that people associate with Jews might have to do with the Jews being traditionally insular in their communities, so certain traits get exaggerated and propagated while the introduction of genes from outside those communities is fairly limited. This is actually the same phenomena which makes us visually recognize people of any "race," be it black, caucasian, or maori... communities of individuals who breed exclusively within their community have certain phenotypes emphasized strongly. So maybe Jews could be considered a race in that way, but a lot of East Europeans have those sorts of features also. I have heard that Israelis are actually amazingly diverse looking.

I definitely don't buy this idea that being raised something makes you espoused to it forever whether you like it or not. Like I already pointed out, we live in a society that is deeply, deeply culturally Christian, and even most non-Christians have Christian-esque moral values. That is not the same as actually being a Christian by religion, which requires a literal faith in Jesus as the son of God. Scotty, I was raised with Judaism only on the periphery of my awareness. It's not like I went through Hebrew school and shit and then turned my back on it later. It has never been something I identify with. My parents were both raised Jewish and probably still identify as such even though they are hardly religious at all, which I guess is what you are saying, but to me it has never been an important or influential part of my life. Other than having the heritage, I am by no measure Jewish at all.
Please can you not talk about what being a Christian requires. It upsets me.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #175
MusicMan4

Iets upset Vixnix

Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #176
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's not hard

Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #177
vixnix
Socialphobic

now I'm upset I'm going to go and have a bath and calm myself down

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #178
Eulogy
huh

vixnix is a christian who rejects the vast majority of the basic tenets of christianity

Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #179
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Bath salts! That's some wicked shit.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #180
hnibos
Braindead

Why would anyone want to be a Christian?