Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #181
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The flying strings of the seventies:

Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #182
Modern90's
Demi-God

I cant stand the wooo-wooo-wooo.

overall i think its ok at best , doesnt sound like a other SP stuff, but im fine with differen

Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #183
lemonscure
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
lemonscure let's do push ups together. i want to get ripped like you.
But You are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
this is the second verve-related reference i've heard regarding this song

don't really get it
That's okay, dude.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #184
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Holy fuck Rick Rubin ruined this song.

I can see what they're going for, but ugh

Old 11-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #185
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonscure View Post
But You are!

That's okay, dude.
really? that's it, not gonna elaborate on why you made such a post?

Typical...

Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #186
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah i know cos i'm most def not ripped

Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #187
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I think this song sounds like a total mess.

like billy is trying so hard to copy some generic "meant to be inspirational" pop song,

but it falls short on every level.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #188
lemonscure
Pledge

Quote:
really? that's it, not gonna elaborate on why you made such a post?

Typical...
What can I say, I'm a typical guy. Either way, I'm watching Survivor now. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
yeah i know cos i'm most def not ripped
The fatso in Your avatar certainly isn't.

Last edited by lemonscure : 11-07-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #189
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Even though I can't say I'm a fan of this song, I still appreciate Corgan stuff that tries to explore new territory and push past the boundaries of accepted Pumpkins canon (even if it doesn't do it very well) more than I do the shit that just tries to pump from the well of popular past Pumpkins hits while sounding entirely phoned in and imaginationless.

For that reason alone, this song is much better than "Solara," but I still prefer "Silvery Sometimes."

The idea of having an electronic-gospel-choir-prog-rock Pumpkins song would have been really awesome were this a better song.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #190
Disco King
Minion of Satan

This band is in a dark place when my greatest praise of a song is "at least there was an attempt."

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #191
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Also, why the fuck did the band buy an entirely new URL with a .live domain for the third single off of an upcoming album? Instead of just releasing this on their official site? Or a site for the album? Is this supposed to be some clever viral Radiohead shit?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #192
fuzzyroes
Banned

Good god, this song is bloody terrible.

They're obviously trying to go for that new "alternative" sound that is all over the charts. It actually reminds me of the new Fall Out Boy type of sound.

I'm entirely surprised that so many people like Knights of malta. It's not catchy at all, the songwriting is daft and the mix is boring as can be. Worst of the 3 new songs.

This new music is turning out to be a massive disappointment.

Also, why is JC's sound always so neutered now?!? You know it's bad when I'm longing for the days of the Zeitgeist era... Rick Rubin blows.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #193
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

bloody... daft... what are you british now, guy?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #194
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
bloody... daft... what are you british now, guy?
Been listening to a lot of Karl Pilkington podcasts and have been kicking it with a British dude lately, maybe it's just rubbing off on me haha

Old 11-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #195
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Also, why the fuck did the band buy an entirely new URL with a .live domain for the third single off of an upcoming album? Instead of just releasing this on their official site? Or a site for the album? Is this supposed to be some clever viral Radiohead shit?
The video on that site is an unlisted YouTube video that might appear to public at the release date of the album:

https://youtu.be/O80Kwt4zcxs

Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #196
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

1. His vibrato. Fuck. He is so stubborn about insisting on doing it. It just completely destroys what otherwise might be good/interesting music.

2. Why is Jimmy even in the band anymore? I can’t even tell it’s him. Even in his most subtle takes, you could just “tell” a Jimmy take, particularly his fills. But now... is it Byrne? I can barely tell the difference. And it’s not because he’s older. I’ve watched plenty of clinics of him slaying it with all sorts of styles and dynamics and subtle brilliance.... none of which I’m finding with the Pumpkins these days. He seems bored and uninspired. Not hard to see why.

3. I’m not opposed to Pumpkins music sounding radically different from the past. Pomp + Circumstances is one of my all-time favorites. It’s really just his awful, overly-complicated, contrived singing style lately, mixed with lyrics that NO one can emotionally connect with thematically.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #197
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
The video on that site is an unlisted YouTube video that might appear to public at the release date of the album:

https://youtu.be/O80Kwt4zcxs
I mean, obviously they wanted people to hear the song today, or else they wouldn't have published a YouTube video at all, unlisted or not. And they wouldn't have had the song go live on a website today.

I feel like the whole "private video" thing is meant to make this a viral thing that spreads through link-sharing and word-of-mouth, but the band just doesn't have the popularity or following to make that a sensible choice.

Nobody is going to be excitedly sharing this mediocre song in their Twitter statuses. Sorry, guys, but you're not Radiohead. Maybe it'd work if Corgan hadn't spend the last decade watering down the brand with boring music. If this were, like, the first new Pumpkins shit in 20 years, and the quality were actually near the old stuff, maybe they would still have enough of a cult following for this to work, and for there to be mbv-like excitement about this. But, it's cheesy electronic song from a band that has taught people to stop paying attention.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #198
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
1. His vibrato. Fuck. He is so stubborn about insisting on doing it. It just completely destroys what otherwise might be good/interesting music.

2. Why is Jimmy even in the band anymore? I can’t even tell it’s him. Even in his most subtle takes, you could just “tell” a Jimmy take, particularly his fills. But now... is it Byrne? I can barely tell the difference. And it’s not because he’s older. I’ve watched plenty of clinics of him slaying it with all sorts of styles and dynamics and subtle brilliance.... none of which I’m finding with the Pumpkins these days. He seems bored and uninspired. Not hard to see why.

3. I’m not opposed to Pumpkins music sounding radically different from the past. Pomp + Circumstances is one of my all-time favorites. It’s really just his awful, overly-complicated, contrived singing style lately, mixed with lyrics that NO one can emotionally connect with thematically.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Being radically different is fine, but the melodies are just wholly uninteresting and the lyrics aren't exhibiting any passion or emotion. There's just no energy in this music.

The teargarden comparison made by someone is this thread is rather apt. I would compare this track to a combination of Song For A Son meets Spangled.

It's sad, I thought the return of Jimmy and James might lead to something special, but I don't even hear their influence or sound in these 3 tracks aside from a few small moments (I.E. JC fills on Solara, Iha's lead lick on the verse of Sivery... and that's essentially it)

Old 11-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #199
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy said on Instagram that James plays the guitar solo on Knights of Malta.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #200
paranoid
Minion of Satan

This is good I’m not joking. Lots of ya wrong about it.

Also, yes this is clearly jimmy and not Byrne because he can fucking play in time.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #201
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also fuzzyroes just fucking go away already. Literally everything you say is dumb and wrong.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #202
fuzzyroes
Banned

Also, what's the deal with that lead guitar at the 1:47 mark? It sounds like an opportunity to really let loose and shred but it sounds like a 10 year old plucking away. I know it's a stylistic choice, but ehhhh... Misses the mark IMO.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #203
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also yes James does solo here.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #204
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I said shut up fuzzy you fucking colossal moron.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #205
fuzzyroes
Banned

oh god, that's Iha?

weakkkkkkkk

Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #206
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've got paranoid on ignore, does he happen to me ripping on me?

If so, dude, I can't care less about your Billy Corgan fanaticism. This song sucks and it's not me being a dickhead about it.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #207
paranoid
Minion of Satan

no you're trying to fit in but secretly you love it. everyone on netphoria has called you an idiot numerous times and you are desperately trying to fit in.

but this song is above your intellect, obviously.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 PM   #208
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i mean, i like it but it's kinda a nothing song you know? it doesn't make me feel anything. but it's nice i suppose.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #209
paranoid
Minion of Satan

gospel rock mixed with pink floyd i mean it's a bunch of 50 something dads playing what they want to play. nothing wrong with that. it's what SP's become.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #210
fuzzyroes
Banned

Alright, I "unignored" you for a second to see what all the fuss was about.

I dunno man, if you like it, that's cool. It's certainly not my cup of tea.

I've always liked Smashing Pumpkins for the frenetic, unhinged energy and the raw explosive passion and sensitivity... This song, like almost everything on Teargarden, has none of it.

There's simply nothing that excites me about the composition... Nothing that gets me stoked about wanting to revisit it. It's just bland... Blander than Imagine Dragons. Again, it seems more like they're trying to feel out the charts and make something that would fit in as opposed to just making something authentic and natural.