Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #2161
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

New York isn't as fun as people seem to think it is. Basic food is very expensive and you're bound to get food poisoning (I always do). People are either very rich or very poor and they all have poor social skills and are rude. There's dog and human shit everywhere. I hate it honestly

Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #2162
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I'd rather be poor in new york than poor in porto alegre. But that's just me.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #2163
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's 6 am, freezing cold and I have to shower. This is not gonna be fun

Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #2164
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
i decided it was the right time to do some travel. going up to NYC and flying to Europe in a few months. Central America to follow! I've never been out of the country. Excited/scared
here's my tips: don't come to europe.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #2165
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Dogfight you must realize that's nothing but a stereotypical thing all white men eventually do? And also that being "homeless" by choice isn't like being homeless at all. Idk. Good luck I guess. Travel can be fun, but please be respectful. Don't Swaffle anything.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2166
Cool As Ice Cream

it's ok to swaffel the taj mahal, if done respectfully.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #2167
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

With all due respect I am going to bombard this painting with my penis. - dogfighter28 at the louvre

Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #2168
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
i decided it was the right time to do some travel. going up to NYC and flying to Europe in a few months. Central America to follow! I've never been out of the country. Excited/scared
I typed a whole long thing about my year of travel but ultimately it doesn't matter and you might as well experience it for yourself. You are going to have a crazy time and really test yourself in some ways. Take it all in, breathe in every breath as deep as you can. If you are able to take this opportunity, there is no reason not to because getting to spend significant time in other places in the world is something afforded to very few. Sometimes it will be ecstatic, sometimes it will feel like getting your heart broken. Embrace it all, bro. It's worth it

Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #2169
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I can't really imagine myself not being too poor to travel.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #2170
redbreegull

Privilege and wealth of course are what allow you to travel. But it's also a matter of priority. I can't tell you how many times I have told someone I traveled for a long time and the response is like, "oh man I wish could afford to do that," but it's almost always coming from people with more money than I do, who are trying to start careers or build families or whatever. It seems a lot more doable when you don't give a shit about stuff like that and have NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #2171
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I mean, I suppose I could afford it if I made all my own lunches so I never purchased snacks, and stopped buying things I like, like clothing, guitar pedals, comics, and mechanical puzzles... but I like all those things.

I guess I'm just whining about how life requires making choices and you can't get everything you want all the time. Maybe I just need to learn discipline and should make travel a priority.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #2172
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

For whatever reason I tend to feel defensive and roll my eyes at travelers/those that romanticize traveling. I hate people here so why would I want to see them elsewhere? What's wrong with participating in society locally and saving to buy a house or something

Old 06-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #2173
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I mean, I suppose I could afford it if I made all my own lunches so I never purchased snacks, and stopped buying things I like, like clothing, guitar pedals, comics, and mechanical puzzles... but I like all those things.

I guess I'm just whining about how life requires making choices and you can't get everything you want all the time. Maybe I just need to learn discipline and should make travel a priority.
You're young and your income will likely improve as you get older and work different jobs. There's no rush

Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #2174
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

See ya guys I'm going to six flags

Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #2175
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Look at me I'm in Chang mai look at my sunburn I'm eating a durian eww it smells it only cost 1000 baht

Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #2176
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
For whatever reason I tend to feel defensive and roll my eyes at travelers/those that romanticize traveling. I hate people here so why would I want to see them elsewhere? What's wrong with participating in society locally and saving to buy a house or something
I have no problem with people who express that they enjoy traveling and find it profoundly fulfilling. I only get annoyed when it's those middle-class suburban kids who act like traveling is some vision quest, from which they return wise sages who suddenly understand the realness of the experiences of people from other stations of life because they walked down some street lined with poor people and slept in a run-down hostel for a couple of nights. There are plenty of people who have been all over the world, but are anything but worldly. Some of them are just rich kids who are dumb as rocks.

And then there are people who have never been anywhere or experienced anything, but are curious about the world and read a lot or something and have developed keen insight.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #2177
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Good post,DK. You put into words what I'm trying to express. I've got some plans to travel ftr

Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #2178
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I've flown to australia 3 times ama

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #2179
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
You're young and your income will likely improve as you get older and work different jobs. There's no rush
Eh, I feel like getting older will just mean more responsibilities and less time, and I'll get to a point where I can't just put things on pause to go on some trip.

Kids don't have to keep on top of shit, so it seems that would be the time to travel. But ironically, that's the time when nobody has the money to travel.

Kinda ties into my biggest fear, which is that I'll die without ever having done anything fulfilling or having any accomplishments to be proud of. Not necessarily things like traveling, but just things I want to create. I feel like time is passing me by and I never get to do the things I want to do because I have to tend to other things first, and when I have free time, I waste it all because I have no motivation or energy. I keep on projecting that I'll get to this or that sometime in the future, but that future is always six months ahead of me. I'll spend my entire life thinking "maybe tomorrow... maybe tomorrow..." and then I'll die having done nothing but shit that has no intrinsic value to me and was only instrumental to goals I never got to anyway.

Since depression has biological causes and environmental factors, I kind of suspect that one of those environmental factors is being maladapted to capitalism. Some people are okay doing shit they don't care about so long as they have evenings and weekends off and a month of vacation time, but some of us really aren't compatible with not being able to own our labour to direct it at what truly fulfills us. When you work to live, work becomes life, it seems.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #2180
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Disco king do you want to take a trip to six flags great adventure with me?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #2181
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

How about let's go visit Joeri, Gijs, and angelic Helen in Amsterdam?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #2182
Disco King
Minion of Satan

That all sounds really fun. Totally would, if I had the money.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #2183
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's $380 from Newark in February and I'll pay for ur board on meals (on monte's dime)

Lol just kidding what do you say Joeri

Old 06-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #2184
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Privilege and wealth of course are what allow you to travel. But it's also a matter of priority. I can't tell you how many times I have told someone I traveled for a long time and the response is like, "oh man I wish could afford to do that," but it's almost always coming from people with more money than I do, who are trying to start careers or build families or whatever. It seems a lot more doable when you don't give a shit about stuff like that and have NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE!
i'm too dumb and drunk right now so i rambled a bit but my point was, i agree.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #2185
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yes i know i'm seemingly high or drunk every night now i know i'm a fucking lsoer i don't care.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #2186
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I need to respect the differences between people but I still hate travel anything for the most part

Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #2187
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Look at these gross crickets for sale here in Mexico ew I can't believe people eat that it's so weird

Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #2188
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

That's like one of those things that really burns my toast btw. I even heard it from Mike's brother about his wife and her family and culture. How they eat "weird" things

I'm just ranting and raving now

Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #2189
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

There's nothing wrong with staying local and building a life. There's also nothing wrong with exploring because you haven't found your place yet.

If I was getting married and having kids of course I wouldn't be doing this. But why not?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #2190
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Just be respectful ok