Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #8041
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Even today I don't think i'd be able to handle being in a death camp, let alone as a kid. eek.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #8042
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's really awful. next week i have a chance to go to a holocaust museum but i think imma pass on that. auschwitz was enough for the rest of my life.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #8043
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
pretty much, and the explanatory part of it is 14.
visiting Auschwitz, Dachau, whatever is closest is mandatory in school here - in the grade where kids are 14/15. for a reason.

vix, please do not take your 9 year old there. my 10 cents. don't.

this child:

will stand here, realizing you were pushed into the slot to burn.

http://mittelschule-altenerding.de/w...3/image008.jpg

afraid of abduction - standing in Dachau and taking in the Holocaust.

I get that you wanna go, make it work somehow, without them.

the older one is 12, right? they should be good for 4 hours by themselves. very close to Dachau I found this one, it's a family leisure pool thing (what the hell is the right term for this.)

https://www.stadtwerke-dachau.de/bae...milienbad.html

the opening hours match with Dachau, you could go here, stay for an hour, talk to the bath security to please keep an eye on them, tell them where to go in case they have to, and pick them up 4 hours later after you have seen Dachau. good plan, bad pan? I can't tell, but that's what I would try.

here is another option (it's all German, sorry, but it should work with the translation plugin) - destinations in Dachau for family holidays for kids.
http://www.tourismus-dachauer-land.d...gendliche.html
all with supervised groups, from an afternoon on a farm to (smallscale) adventure playgrounds.

also an option - I assume Munich is your starting point for Dachau? Munich has some of the greatest tech museums in Germany. with special stuff for kids (where you get to jump around in jets, build shit, whatever.) if you find the matching day, they can have a blast in one of these tech activities for kids in one of the tech museums in Munich, that's 4-6 hours. you go to Dachau, pick them up. That they don't speak German I think wouldn't matter at all, not while crawling through jets, and the museum staff speaks English anyway.

and then there is Bavaria Filmpark (from the formerly biggest film studio) - with guides, for kids, what have you.
https://www.filmstadt.de/en/explore-...-complete.html

(sorry, I obviously miss work and figuring out schedules.... my choice of the day, your Dachau trip!)
This is so helpful, thank you. We are actually driving in from Karlsruhe that day, from visiting my cousin and her (German) husband. I have a feeling he would have told me the same things as you, about Dachau.

We stay two nights in Munich, so have one full day. I was thinking we would leave the car parked and do the Deutsches Museum and Marienplatz and Englische Garten.

I'll have a look at all of your suggestions, hopefully we can make something work. But I won't take the kids if I go.

It's hard balancing the whole "don't wrap them in cotton wool" thing with the "don't give them anything they're not ready for" thing. Every new situation with parenting, you have to weigh all of this up, and not much is ever clear cut.

I really have no idea what to expect at a death camp. If travel has taught me anything it's that my expectations are usually wrong, so there's no point making plans, based on them.

And I really am stressed out about these music exams on Monday because I've never accompanied for exams before, let alone for my own children, who I'll be nervous for. Recipe for disaster. Guess where their teacher is from?

Dusseldorf lol. I didn't even think to ask him about Dachau... idiot vixnix.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #8044
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

I really have no idea what to expect at a death camp. If travel has taught me anything it's that my expectations are usually wrong, so there's no point making plans, based on them.
true, I just know that you couldn't pay me to set foot into the Dachau or Auschwitz museum ever again, but people react very differently. In some museum sites my imagination stays pretty silent, I waltzed through torture chambers in old castles and it was just that, a museum site. If I could take in Dachau like that, I would, but I can't, other people most def. can. Can a 9 year old? I would not want to find out, tbh.

Quote:
We stay two nights in Munich, so have one full day. I was thinking we would leave the car parked and do the Deutsches Museum and Marienplatz and Englische Garten.
good plan, that's pretty much it anyway!

Old 07-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #8045
ilikeplanets
Braindead

these pictures make me want to throw up. i can't process this right now

Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #8046
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
did you guys ever notice anal sex is performed from behind this is why they call it "backdoor action"

get it?
I actually heard that anal sex is easiest for most people in missionary position

Old 07-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #8047
yo soy el mejor

you gotta admit, he probably did actually hear that

Old 07-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #8048
Shallowed
Braindead

You can't deny

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #8049
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I actually heard that anal sex is easiest for most people in missionary position

Cowgirl/boy

Also, doggie

Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #8050
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

so i have officially given up looking for a job for right now and am going to try to get full time where i work now. probably will have it in a few months or so.

i figure with the likelihood of having surgery and my problems finding a job already i should just focus on my health and getting that over with. they will be good with giving me time off/light duty i'm sure.

feels bad man. giving up on dreams and shit. i didnt go back to school and get 30k in debt to continue working at a grocery store. yeah temporary etc etc let's just hope i don't get complacent and become what i said i never would

Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #8051
fuzzyroes
Banned

You're actually going through with the gastrointestinal surgery?

Sharon Osborne did, and it seemed to work well for her, but it's apparently quite an extreme procedure.

You're a bright young lady though, if you focus your mind and energy on becoming financially successful, I believe you'll get there. In my opinion, it's only a question of whether you'll apply yourself or not.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #8052
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

There are different types of bariatric surgery. Gastric sleeve is minimally invasive, laparoscopic surgery. The procedure is not extreme at all compared to gastric bypass and the others. They basically cut 85% of your stomach off. The hardest thing is re-learning how to eat so you don't make yourself sick and that you get enough nutrients, since you can only fit a tiny amount of food in your stomach.

As for being successful financially. I am not talking about financial success. Staying where I am and rising in the ranks would probably be more financially beneficial than pursuing other work related to my degree, unless I spend a lot more time and money getting further degrees. Most managers who retire with my company are millionaires. But that is not what I want to do. I want a job with meaning where I can help people. It has nothing to do with money.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #8053
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I know in your way you are trying to be encouraging so I thank you but man you need to work on that shit. Without surgery I'll probably die within 20 years, possibly even 10-15.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #8054
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well, I think you should pursue what you really want to do. If you enjoy what you do for a living, it's never actually "work"... And as one gets older, one has a lower tolerance for putting up with bullshit at work. If you've been working hard towards this, I wouldn't throw in the towel. It might be easier now, but it'll likely cause more turmoil in your future.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #8055
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I know in your way you are trying to be encouraging so I thank you but man you need to work on that shit. Without surgery I'll probably die within 20 years. Hell I probably will anyway because of my liver.
Ehhh, just giving my honest thoughts. It might not be worth anything to anyone or you, but there could be a possibility that they are. If not, it's only like 30 seconds wasted of my life to have typed the message lol.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #8056
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Well, I think you should pursue what you really want to do. If you enjoy what you do for a living, it's never actually "work"... And as one gets older, one has a lower tolerance for putting up with bullshit at work. If you've been working hard towards this, I wouldn't throw in the towel. It might be easier now, but it'll likely cause more turmoil in your future.
Yeah but I need to have enough money to live, dude. I can't continue to wait while working part time while I try to find a full time job that I want that might not even make what I make now per hour. That's just reality. And it's not like poof and I get full time and raise. They know I was looking for another job. They need to know I'm committed to them before they'll waste time training me and money giving me benefits etc. That's how it works in the USA. Today I told my direct manager I would like to work more, opened my schedule to completely open except M/Thurs off (I usually only work daytime), and registered interest for the position I currently do but don't officially "have" because I wouldn't work nights. That I should have fairly quickly.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #8057
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

reprise you might enjoy reading or listening to Bossypants by Tina Fey, if you haven't already. I was really encouraged by her story. She worked full time at the YMCA or something, in Chicago, after she graduated. It doesn't have to be forever, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Working full time and completing an undergraduate degree is also a miraculous achievement for someone who has come from the place you have. Maybe it's the right time to take a break from professional-type achievement, and look after your health, for a while. I mean...getting to a point where you could care for your own body, would be just as miraculous, but look at what you've done already. Anything is possible, with you. You are capable of such huge transformation in your thinking and daily routines, I would not be at all surprised if you were in a totally different place with your health, in a year, if that was what you set your mind to. Honestly. You are like the poster child for recovery, or something.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #8058
Cool As Ice Cream

wow fuzzy you fucken piece of crap

Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #8059
Cool As Ice Cream

i hope you die

Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #8060
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
reprise you might enjoy reading or listening to Bossypants by Tina Fey, if you haven't already. I was really encouraged by her story. She worked full time at the YMCA or something, in Chicago, after she graduated. It doesn't have to be forever, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Working full time and completing an undergraduate degree is also a miraculous achievement for someone who has come from the place you have. Maybe it's the right time to take a break from professional-type achievement, and look after your health, for a while. I mean...getting to a point where you could care for your own body, would be just as miraculous, but look at what you've done already. Anything is possible, with you. You are capable of such huge transformation in your thinking and daily routines, I would not be at all surprised if you were in a totally different place with your health, in a year, if that was what you set your mind to. Honestly. You are like the poster child for recovery, or something.
Thanks vix. For the record, I wasn't working full time. I was working about 30 hours a week at first but as things got harder I eventually went down to about 12.

I definitely feel like I've come a long way. But I kinda present better than I really am inside. Yes I can hold a job/schooling, wash myself and my clothes, take care of my cat, etc. But I still struggle to keep my place clean, sometimes take mental health days from work even though I don't even work that much (20-30 hours a week), don't let people anywhere close to me physically or emotionally, and other stuff. It is still amazing that I came from thisclose to death from outside sources and internal sources and am where I am now. But I still have a lot to do if I'm ever going to be content with my life.

Again thanks

Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #8061
redbreegull

Quote:
Ehhh, just giving my honest thoughts. It might not be worth anything to anyone or you, but there could be a possibility that they are. If not, it's only like 30 seconds wasted of my life to have typed the message lol.
I want to take a baseball bat and write on it, "No one wants or needs your advice because you have no idea what you are talking about" and just beat you with it until you get the message.

you are seriously the dumbest, most ignorant fucker

Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #8062
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I want to take a baseball bat and write on it, "No one wants or needs your advice because you have no idea what you are talking about" and just beat you with it until you get the message.

you are seriously the dumbest, most ignorant fucker
Jesus man, your rhetoric is getting increasingly violent and malevolent... All blusterous, sensational ripping on each other aside, are you doing okay these days man? I'm starting to worry a little bit about you.

I know we get at it a lot, but I don't wanna see you spiral out of control.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #8063
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I agree, violence doesn't solve anything.
Fuzzy drink this, it'll help you feel better.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....pL._SY606_.jpg

Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #8064
redbreegull

Quote:
Jesus man, your rhetoric is getting increasingly violent and malevolent... All blusterous, sensational ripping on each other aside, are you doing okay these days man? I'm starting to worry a little bit about you.

I know we get at it a lot, but I don't wanna see you spiral out of control.
the entire time you've been on this board you have just become a bigger and bigger douche canoe. no one wants your shitty, offensive, insensitive advice. no one here feels like you have anything positive to share. once you were just some dumb guy wrapped up in the MTV distant past, but now you are a blatantly racist, sexist, right wing piece of garbage. it doesn't seem to matter how many times people tell you to fuck off because of your behavior, you just intensify it. no one is this stupid fuzzyroes, you're just a fucking dickhead

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #8065
fuzzyroes
Banned

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DaringWell...lo-max-1mb.gif

Old 07-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #8066
fuzzyroes
Banned

Sports media is going nuts about Tom Brady's recent "dad bod"

What the hell, I think the dude looks great

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiVsTdyW0AE4mKK.jpg

Guy is 40 after all and throws a football for a living. It's not like quarterback needs to be jacked.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #8067
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Sports media is going nuts about Tom Brady's recent "dad bod"

What the hell, I think the dude looks great

Guy is 40 after all and throws a football for a living. It's not like quarterback needs to be jacked.
Look! A distraction!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #8068
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I've been looking into finally getting my master's degree, just need to figure out which subject I really want to pursue.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #8069
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Thanks vix. For the record, I wasn't working full time. I was working about 30 hours a week at first but as things got harder I eventually went down to about 12.

I definitely feel like I've come a long way. But I kinda present better than I really am inside. Yes I can hold a job/schooling, wash myself and my clothes, take care of my cat, etc. But I still struggle to keep my place clean, sometimes take mental health days from work even though I don't even work that much (20-30 hours a week), don't let people anywhere close to me physically or emotionally, and other stuff. It is still amazing that I came from thisclose to death from outside sources and internal sources and am where I am now. But I still have a lot to do if I'm ever going to be content with my life.

Again thanks
I actually meant working full time OR studying, given that you have been studying full time, and now you'll increase your work hours, to work full time.

But I didn't mean to minimise stuff...

I'm glad you know how far you've come....

Old 07-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #8070
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I've been looking into finally getting my master's degree, just need to figure out which subject I really want to pursue.
same