Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #31
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
This version goes from sounding like Neil Young to sounding like Blew Away

https://archive.org/details/Smashing...12-08.nyctaper

nice AUDSBD recording

How did we get SBD? Are they allowing SBD hookups on this tour???

Old 12-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #32
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The band sounds kinda sluggish on that set. And the quality is not very good for soundboard. I think the guy who taped it was friends with the soundguy at the venue or something like that.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #33
magikarp99
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs42079 View Post
Nevermind, found a better rip of XFM on the archive

https://archive.org/details/SPXFMDec2014
You do realise these are worse than the ones I posted right? These are still webrips, but are also lossy transcodes. I suggest you don't just look at the filesize when judging audio.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
cjs42079
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
You do realise these are worse than the ones I posted right? These are still webrips, but are also lossy transcodes. I suggest you don't just look at the filesize when judging audio.
Actually your rips clipped and distort in multiple places on each song. Also the version on the archive is clearer and more well balanced, where as yours was muddy and full of mids. Thank you anyway kind sir.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
magikarp99
Demi-God

Quote:
Actually your rips clipped and distort in multiple places on each song. Also the version on the archive is clearer and more well balanced, where as yours was muddy and full of mids. Thank you anyway kind sir.
Herp derp. Go do a spectral analysis and provide some quantitative proof before you start endorsing lower quality transcodes. Higher bitrate does not mean higher quality, even if you think you can hear it.

On a side note lossless web rip of those videos on ZOMB:
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=52841

Old 12-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #36
cjs42079
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
Herp derp. Go do a spectral analysis and provide some quantitative proof before you start endorsing lower quality transcodes. Higher bitrate does not mean higher quality, even if you think you can hear it.

On a side note lossless web rip of those videos on ZOMB:
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=52841
Herp derp? Did you even listen to them? Compare side by side and then tell me which sounds better. I don't care about file size either, you were the only one mentioning that. But your rips sound terrible.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #37
bosmanad
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
His rips are backed out of the .swf stream (hence the low bitrate). Your rip / archive.org rip is the same file transcoded down to 128. Listen to whichever you prefer, but his rip is better.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #38
bosmanad
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
Thanks for this

Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #39
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

The chord progression sounds like a mix of Space Oddity and Wish You Were Here.

Also, why are they both doing those annoying string rakes in the solo bits? It's so cliche and amateur sounding.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

I actually like this song a lot

Seems to be a song about negative fan reactions to his return though idk

"They didn't want me back"

Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #41
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I actually like this song a lot

Seems to be a song about negative fan reactions to his return though idk

"They didn't want me back"
ha, I never noticed that this would actually work, although I've listened to this song a lot since Ravinia. I took it as something else, and that's one of the things I like about it. you can interpret it/make it whatever you want, it's vague enough to fit, but not in the same completely empty lyrics department like some other recent songs.
and I do like the guitar lines, it sounded good with Matt Walker on drums, but this acoustic performance is just beautiful.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #42
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought the line was "you didn't want me back"

Old 12-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #43
Elphenor
Braindead

It's interesting

"While the others burn black"

Who is he talking about here? Past band members? Other 90's Rockstars maybe?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #44
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I thought the line was "you didn't want me back"
He's pretty clearly saying "they" in this performance at first, and then he says "you" at one point in the song

Old 12-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #45
Elphenor
Braindead

"There were times I laughed and there were times I cried
They didn't want me back, they didn't want me back
While the others burned black
while the others burned black"

That really sounds like him whining about other 90's rockstars still keeping their fan base and such while he can't get his back. But idk

Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #46
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I didn't notice, maybe he changed it. I don't remember hearing it in the Ravinia version. Though maybe I just couldn't make it out.

Edit: just checked spfc and it looks like the lyrics were changed since Ravinia http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/s...l?song_id=1529

I liked it better before.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

he keeps changing it, I think.

Ravinia:
there was a time I laughed, there was a time I cried,
you didn't want me back
I used to be so nice, and there were days that I was cruel,

later full band performances:
there was a time I laughed, there was a time I cried,
THEY didn't want me back
there were times that I was nice, and there were days that I was cruel

I just didn't get the "other 90ies artists, bitter about fans" vibe from it when he first played it (before all the interviews)

it used to be that love built stars

that just works for me for all kinds of relationships, leaving behind former friends, partners, whoever.
who cares - me. because yes, I do like this song a lot obviously.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 AM   #48
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

That last bit is an interesting line, but it carries more meaning with a "you" than a "they" to me. I suppose it can still carry a similar meaning but Elph's post kind of ruined it for me. Now I'll involuntarily envision Billy whining about his lost fans and fame.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #49
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
That last bit is an interesting line, but it carries more meaning with a "you" than a "they" to me. I suppose it can still carry a similar meaning but Elph's post kind of ruined it for me. Now I'll involuntarily envision Billy whining about his lost fans and fame.
haha, yea that's why it bugs me a bit right now. I did not want to hear this song as whining about fans and fame, at all.
elph you bastard

elph's version works with more lines, acutally. "I used to be nice" vs. "cruel" - I AM NOT IN A ROCK BAND TO PLAY NICEY-NICE

and the love built stars line could be less cheesy romantic than I took it - not stars in the skies, but actual (rock) stars. fuk nonono.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #50
Elphenor
Braindead

Sorry guys

That's what immediately comes to mind though

Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #51
Elphenor
Braindead

And although it's not the first time Billy's wrote a song using "you" when we was referring to "You the fan" switching it to "they" seems deliberate

Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #52
pavementtune

not to my mind, I was thinking of leaving whatever baggage behind, finally, in a sunset turning the sky from orange to black, and everything fades, turns black... a love song.
I'm a simple minded sucker for Corganish love songs, meh.

what other songs did I turn into love instead of fan stories - in which songs was he referring to the fans with "you"

Old 12-30-2014, 03:06 AM   #53
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

When I first heard it I felt it felt reminiscent of a classic acoustic Billy song about lost love, heartache, mistakes (there's some bitterness in the lyrics), and trying to move on (which incidentally is usually when he writes better lyrics and emotes better). The more I hear the new lyrics the more I can see where Elph is coming from. Way to go, Bill.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 AM   #54
Elphenor
Braindead

Well the first time of many when I was disappointed by the real meaning of a Pumpkins song was with Bullet when I found out the song is complaining about being a Rockstar and not about being locked into love with someone.

"What do you want
I want to change
What do you got
Do you feel the same"

Old 12-30-2014, 03:14 AM   #55
pavementtune

see, that's why I avoid liner notes and such (no idea where that thing about Bullet is from) - I didn't know that, or I forgot all about it because Bullet had already a different meaning for me.

okay I take it back, don't tell me more about which songs aren't what I thought they are, I don't want to know.
but since I'm clinging to my version - since most of his songs back then were about/inspired by Courntey, Bullet would still work, "do you feel the same" - she was a star, too. desperate attempt, I know, but I had to try.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #56
Elphenor
Braindead

I really like the lines

"Tell me I'm the only one
Tell me there's no other one
Jesus was an only son"

As like an insane jealousy that I can relate to, but not as the weird "I need fan worship because I hate myself" way that he intended it

Old 12-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #57
Elphenor
Braindead

But hey lyrics can mean whatever you want them to really.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #58
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought the same thing about the lyrics to BOB

seems like he's singing about fame and losing it, but that could be knee jerk reaction

Old 12-30-2014, 03:24 AM   #59
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
But hey lyrics can mean whatever you want them to really.
I agree, that's why his recent comments why he isn't releasing the MTAE lyrics pissed me off. "fucking fans reading things into it, doesn't mean anything, artwork doesn't mean anything, it's just a song, better they can't make out the words by listening to it." fuck you if you care for words and aren't a native speaker on top of it, right?

what's wrong with putting things into songs?
if you don't want that to happen to your songs, well, don't let anybody hear them or make it so shallow that nobody will be able to put anything into it, at all. kinda worked for MTAE, alright alright.
does he think he is Sigur Ros all of a sudden? if he doesn't want lyrics to have much weight, well, the composition needs to be better.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #60
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I agree, that's why his recent comments why he isn't releasing the MTAE lyrics pissed me off. "fucking fans reading things into it, doesn't mean anything, artwork doesn't mean anything, it's just a song, better they can't make out the words by listening to it." fuck you if you care for words and aren't a native speaker on top of it, right?

what's wrong with putting things into songs?
if you don't want that to happen to your songs, well, don't let anybody hear them or make it so shallow that nobody will be able to put anything into it, at all. kinda worked for MTAE, alright alright.
does he think he is Sigur Ros all of a sudden? if he doesn't want lyrics to have much weight, well, the composition needs to be better.
That's not an actual quote... right?