Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #211
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortezTheKiller
I'm listening to the album on a pair of open Sennheiser HD555s and I like to listen to my music at a medium volume. There's a fine line between it sounding good and turning up the volume where the vocals are just too loud. Forget about relaxing on my bed and listening to the album from start to finish just because of Starz....I'm not sure what BC was thinking of.

Starz is fucking lame. My god Corgan what are you on man, it's like Machina part 3.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #212
Tribute2JohnnyB
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewface
my review
thats the way 1/10
hated song = thats the way (by far the worst song on the record)
Andrew. That's just fucking stupid.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #213
My Blue Heaven
Ownz

Hah. Trust Zeitgeist leaking during my 2 day camping trip.

Billy mad.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #214
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Blue Heaven
Hah. Trust Zeitgeist leaking during my 2 day camping trip.

Billy mad.
The first thread was only posted on here, what, 16 hours ago?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #215
Tribute2JohnnyB
Apocalyptic Poster

yup.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #216
shannon
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny
shit man.

quick notes:

corgan has really retained his songwriting edge.
nice rock guitar tones.
rocks out fiercely on occasion.
Production isnt great, but its better than machina.
Flows Nice.
United States = word.
exactly

Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #217
FlamingCucumber
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan719
This isn't a hype list for me:

1. Siamese Dream
2. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
3. Zeitgeist
4. Machina II
5. Gish
6. Machina I
7. Adore

This is good stuff. The layered vocals kick ass.
Hey, I would rate the albums in that exact same order.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #218
FlamingCucumber
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan719
I'm in the minority that I actually enjoy For God & Country.

A lot. It's my favorite.
You are so NOT LIKE THE OTHERS it's sooooooo coooool. I wish I was like you.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #219
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

its already getting hardcore spite ratings from the indie kids at RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ins/zeitgeist/

Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #220
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Yup I'm still blown away, I'm on my 4th full listen. This album is amazing. I don't feel like making a song by song rating, but here's something I love about the album.

United States is a heavy dark song that really sets the tone. It's amazing, I love the "Let me be every single moment I ever misunderstood-stood-stood" and how his voice withers away.

From this song you get into Neverlost. This song is so much better in the studio than it is live. It slows down the tempo of the album after the numerous rockers previous to it.

After you get this song it goes into Bring the Light which totaly brings the tempo of the album back up. I'm glad Billy never played this live yet because upon first listen I loved it. Great song that really brings the album back together. I love the transition from Neverlost to BTL. The intro is so good, I love Billy's vocals.

I must say the album is really heavy and ending it with P&C was beautiful. It really is an excellent song that sends this album off to space. It's amazing. But it's one of those that either you love it or you hate it (at least that's the vibe I got from everyone).

Listen to this album with headphones, crank it up and totally loose yourself. Fucking awesome!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #221
melack
Oblivious Virgin

Ok here's comes my track my track review

DC: I think this song has been way underrated, it's heavy, catchy and a perfect way to start this album. 5/5

7 Shades of Black: This is a great song that is hard not to appreciate. Great melody, great pace and nice drumming by Jimmy. 5/5

BTO: This will be considered a classic album track years from now. I may be one of the few that actually likes the layered vocals in the chorus so haunting! triumph march part is freaking sweet, goosebumps!! 5/5

That's the Way: This song reminds me of the best songs from the Machina era like Home, SIYL, Try, Try, Try and Real Love. But it has it's own great melody and it's a beatiful love song that totally affects me, may be because I've just met a pretty girl 5/5

Tarantula: I have loved this one from the first time I ever heard it. Great classic Pumpkins breakdown, I also love the guitars and the drumming. It has a great solo to. 5/5

Starz: Good song, but i miss the little guitar part before the second verse that is in the live version. Ok it's a little cheezy but hey i actually like a little camp sometimes Great chorus.
4/5

United States: Such an overrated song on this forum. A boring song that lacks a real melody (yes I'm a melody sucker) and also it's way to long. Boring repetive lyrics and not even near the classic of which is Silverf..k. 2/5

Neverlost: Another boring song that really isn't going anywhere. I really like Death from above and it should have replaced this song. Can't remember this song when it's over and that's not a good sign for me. 2/5

Bring the Light: Finally something happens! Pumpkins goes catchy punk with an amazing solo and wonderful vocals. I love the pace and the driven guitar in this song. 4/5

Come On Let's Go!: Ohh it's such a tease with the riff from Zero and i love it! I think this one will grow on me it just has a little to boring melody but is overall a good song 4/5

Pomp + C: Everyone says Enya and I say ok but Enya have done some beatiful music. This song grows on you and the melody is really good and i believe it has my favourite lyrics on this album. An good album closer.

Overall: 4/5

The first five songs totally knocks Machina 1 and 2 over. And many of those five first songs would not be ashamed to be on SD or MCIS. But overall this album doesn't come near those two albums, but then again i never thought i would either. This album is better than Gish, Machina I and II and better than MSOTS. But it doesn't beat Adore or TFE that got way better songwriting IMO.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #222
shannon
Minion of Satan

i sincerely disagree with your opinions of neverlost and united states

and you gave that's the way a 5/5

Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #223
melack
Oblivious Virgin

It's ok everyone have thier own opinion. And I'm just a real popboy and a sucker for catchy melodies. And you can't deny that That's the Way is a catchy popsong

Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #224
shannon
Minion of Satan

i don't listen to the pumpkins to hear "pop" music

Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #225
Effloresce
Banned

Why are you people so pissed about Bleeding the Orchid? I don't understand. In fact, this almost sounds exactly like the live performance. Even the backup vocals are similar to what Lisa and Ginger do on stage. It's an excellent track, and a great example of why the Pumpkins continue to be so amazing.

That's the Way is the feel good pop song of the album and will be a great single. I do wish it had the trippy little interlude heard when played live. Also, the guitars could have been a bit louder/intense/shoegazey like they are on stage. Still, it's a great song.

Tarantula was such a good pick for the first single. Continues to impress even after hearing it so many times.

Doomsday Clock is just a bad song. Live, studio, doesn't matter. I just don't like this song much. By far the worst opener on any Pumpkins album.

7 Shades of Black is fun, crazy, heavy, all over the place. I LOVE IT. I hope they make it a single after That's the Way, it makes perfect sense.

Starz is different on the album, currently I prefer the live version just because it sounds better. More epic, open, better emphasis on the sweet guitar harmonization. In the studio, it's kinda weird. I believe it was davin who said Starz studio takes some getting used to, and he's right. I just don't think it's as good in the studio though. I blame Roy Thomas Baker. Either way, it's still a great song. Also, it's honestly the only one on the album I can truly say suffers because of the production. Whereas with Machina, I could find little things wrong with every single song. I can't complain.

United States
rocks like a motherfucker. 'nuff said.

Neverlost
is a superb track. Not sure why there's so much hate for this one. Nice sound overall.

Bring the Light rocks, but I cannot STAND religious references in Billy Corgan's songs lately ("son of god you know you must be right... in the light", ick, STOP THAT). Musically it's great, but the lyrics make me always want to skip over the track. Everything else is awesome.

Come On (Let's Go) - this song is like Zero's cousin on happy pills. But I mean this in a nice way. It's an interesting song. It's not super depressing or anything, but it manages to retain that badass style made so obvious in songs like Zero. I like it.

For God & Country - Not a big fan of this one. I think it's better acoustic. And once again, the lyrics are too religious for me.

Pomp & Circumstances - Wow, this certainly is "out there", isn't it? I really do love the song though, it's so peaceful and calming. Nice dreamy surreal sound to it. Excellent way to end an awesome album.

Overall, Zeitgeist delivers. It's definitely better than Machina 1, MSOTS, and TFE. In other words, Billy hasn't put out a commercial album this good since Adore, and that was a long time ago.

The Pumpkins STILL rock, despite the unbelievable amount of disdain on the biggest messageboard devoted to their music.

Last edited by Effloresce : 07-01-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #226
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

If I had to rate the songs right now, after a couple of listens I would go:

1. Doomsday Clock - 8.0
2. 7 Shades of Black - 10.0
3. Bleeding The Orchid - 10.0
4. That's The Way (My Love Is) - 8.0
5. Tarantula - 8.5
6. Starz - 7.5
7. United States - 9.5
8. Neverlost - 7.0
9. Bring The Light - 8.0
10. (Come On) Let's Go - 4.0
11. For God And Country - 5.0
12. Pomp And Circumstances - 7.0

Overall:
7.5 out of 10

Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #227
TheBigG753
Pledge

1. Doomsday Clock - C - Not a bad song, its catchy and the drums are great. I think moreso than the "disinterested" sounding vocals, the words don't flow well. I think in the first verse, the vocals sound even worse because the lyrics just don't flow. Not as strong an opener as you'd like, but as a hard rocker it does what its supposed to, I guess. I wish they spent a lot more time on the vocals, though.

2. 7 Shades of Black - B - TEITBITE comparisons are very valid. Nothing really stand-out about it, but nothing glaringly off or forced like Doomsday Clock.

3. Bleeding the Orchid - A- - A longer solo at the end (like the live version) and its near perfect. It's great as it is, should be a hit if released as a single.

4. That's the Way - B - Some "Try, Try, Try" vibes in here, as I was trying to figure out what song it reminded me of. Not bad at all. Like the lighter, cleaner sounding guitars in the intro.

5. Tarantula - A+ - I don't care what anyone says, I loved this song a month ago and I still do. For some reason, the album rip sounds a little better. Great single, great solos, great song.

6. Starz - A - Aside from the "We are Starz" part, which I got over on second listen, this is another gem. Wasn't expecting it to be as heavy.

7. United States - B+ - Very strong start to the album capped off here. Shades of XYU and GATGC. Great drum work by Jimmy. Only gripes I have are Billy's screams not sounding as raw and some unnecessary background vocals (although some would say this occurs throughout the album, the background vocals seem to fit much better than they do here). The middle of the song is also forgettable. The last 2 or 3 minutes, though, is dynamite.

8. Neverlost - B- - Nothing really good or bad here. I like the organ-sounds. Could have been a Machina B-Side for all I know, though. It's decent, that's about it.

9. Bring the Light - C+ - Fun pop-punkish song until the last minute or so, by that point I've heard "Bring the Light" enough times. Had that repetitive Machina feel, thankfully the song wasn't designed to be too long.

10. (Come On) Let's Go - B+ - Heavy and upbeat, this was a pleasant surprise. It really has a nostalgic feel to it (must remind me of something I've heard and forgotten) but captures the "Zeitgeist" of the alternative 90's-era.

11. For God and Country - D - Along with Doomsday Clock, the only really low point of the album, but at least DC was listenable. I can see myself skipping this one often. Takes the worst parts of both versions of "Heres to the Atom Bomb." The acoustic live version had a nice, catchy melody, albeit very straightforward. This is just a mess. The only real miscalculation on the record.

12. Pomp & Circumstances - A+ - I can already tell people will disagree, but this is one of the most beautiful tracks Corgan has ever written, recorded and produced. I've listened to this one a lot, and I don't know, the song just moves me. I'd say its their best closer behind only Age of Innocence, and a terrific song in its own right. My favorite on the album along with Tarantula.

All in all, I'd give it a solid B, maybe a B+. I never expected it to top MCIS (my favorite SP album) or Siamese Dream (my second favorite SP album), and it doesn't. But it's a nice return to making great rock music again. It's certainly an improvement from TFE, MSOTS, Machina I and II. Here, Corgan strives for catchy, more straight-forward songs that make the album flow well and rarely drag (unlike some of the more experimental stuff on the Machina albums that were hit or miss, and made the albums drag along). Even middle of the road tracks like Neverlost are very listenable, only FG&C appearing to be filler. And unlike all of their post-Siamese Dream albums (as much as I love MCIS and Adore), this one demands a bit more length instead of running too long. I guess we should be thankful that it doesn't run its course. If I were to place it among Pumpkins albums, I'd probably rank it right above Gish, and on-par with Adore as my 3rd favorite SP album (which isn't too far behind SD).

It's almost more of a solo record than TFE was, for Corgan. Lots and lots of guitars and vocals. Lots. But I like it. It's catchy. It rocks. And it works. I can only hope this "reunion" is more than a one-album deal, because Corgan has rebounded nicely hear and for the first time in a while, I want to hear more.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #228
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

I find Bleeding The Orchid somewhat boring. And to some extent also United States and Neverlost.

Bring The Light is great tho. And Starz and Come On Let's Go are enjoyable as well.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #229
Corgan Rules
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon
i don't listen to the pumpkins to hear "pop" music
I listen to SP to hear good music and this album is filled with it. Billy has make some damn good pop music in his career, same with great rock music. There is nothing wrong with liking the more poppy tracks...

Old 07-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #230
Corgan Rules
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i sincerely disagree with your opinions of neverlost and united states

and you gave that's the way a 5/5
Hell yeah...thats the way is a good song! Top 3-4 of this album! Don't hate...

Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #231
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
Bring the Light rocks, but I cannot STAND religious references in Billy Corgan's songs lately ("son of god you know you must be right... in the light", ick, STOP THAT). Musically it's great, but the lyrics make me always want to skip over the track. Everything else is awesome.
I used to be like you and get annoyed with that too but Billy's always had religious + Christian references. After getting thru his Zwan/solo phases I'm used to it now.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #232
andrewface
Apocalyptic Poster

i think tarantula is overshadowed cause its the single and weve all listened to it 1000 times...its one of the best tracks

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #233
Corgan Rules
Apocalyptic Poster

Why so much hate for Doomsday Clock??????? That's a damn good song and its catchy as hell too! Some of you fans will never be happy...

Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #234
shannon
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan Rules
Hell yeah...thats the way is a good song! Top 3-4 of this album! Don't hate...
i'm actually really enjoying this album

i just don't like the song... and i'm not going to

Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #235
melack
Oblivious Virgin

Yeah I mean of course I like harder songs to, as an example Tales of a schorched earth is one of my favourites. And I agree with Corgan Rules, I listen to SP to hear good music weather it's pop, rock or even a queen/enya mix like Pom + C

Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #236
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

The Big G, I totally agree with you about P&C. I think it is so beautiful. Love your avatar btw, I had to get back into video games once Twilight Princess came out.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #237
Corgan Rules
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i'm actually really enjoying this album

i just don't like the song... and i'm not going to
Good to hear. I like the album a lot too. Im just suprised that you dont like that soon to be hit. Its catchy as hell and it was one of the 1st songs on the album that I really started liking.

It sort of reminds me of SIYL and I LOVE that song.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #238
skipgo
Minion of Satan

corgan rules, you wouldn't be happy unless everyone in the world loved every song billy corgan has ever written.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #239
shannon
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan Rules
It sort of reminds me of SIYL and I LOVE that song.
this is why i don't really care for it... SIYL never really grew on me

Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #240
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i love this fucking album. with every listen i like it better. United States is a great driving song btw.