Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #331
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
and no, you can't become a musical virtuoso by just practicing 24/7. I actually know some people who've tried becoming the best guitar players by doing that, and it just doesn't work that way. to become a virtouso you have to be born with talent, and when you combine that with your own hard work you'll be the best.
real truth

Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #332
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Sounds like the Alesis drum machine

What's kind of fucked up about bill's daily updates is that there is no context for what he's doing. Is it just billy, jeff and a producer in studio? What stage are they in building/recording the album? Are they working only on guitar arrangements right now? Or are they working on shaping the original demos (full band) prior to going into the recording studio (like they did with Oceania).

Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #333
GLOWer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
What's kind of fucked up about bill's daily updates is that there is no context for what he's doing. Is it just billy, jeff and a producer in studio? What stage are they in building/recording the album? Are they working only on guitar arrangements right now? Or are they working on shaping the original demos (full band) prior to going into the recording studio (like they did with Oceania).
yes, it's billy, jeff and a producer. we know this because he said so. there might be additional engineers but who cares.

they're choosing the songs that will make the album from a pile of demos. we know this because he said so.

right now they're working on arrangements for billy's demos. we know this because he said so.

will they end up rerecording songs? probably. will they end up rerecording every single element? probably not.

do you read the updates? apparently because you seemingly care but how have gleaned so little information from them. how is that possible.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #334
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

See my previous point about Scotty coming off like an asshat in EVERY post he makes?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #335
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Bill's updates are terrible. He's referencing demo's none of us has ever heard with song names that probably won't survive the finished album. And he's doing it in his usual pseudo intellectual voice. It's his way of sharing with fans without actually sharing anything. On top of that he's given very little idea of what the end to end process is for these albums.

And it doesn't give much insight at all to fans who are trying to lean in and get an idea for what's going on. So great, he's noodling around with jeff and howard. But when/where did the demos come from? what do these sessions look/sound like. If he's just going to tease the fans, which he obviously likes to do, why not just post longer audio clips of the demos they're working on so people can at least have a frame of reference for what he describing.

He's always done shit like this. Remember when Quasar was supposed to be an "old school SP rocker" of a song?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #336
GLOWer
Demi-God

have you heard the 2010 soundcheck quasar?

it was an old school SP rocker. the recording quality is disgusting but it's enough to illustrate how awesome and finished it was in '10. the oceania version is horrific.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #337
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOWer View Post
have you heard the 2010 soundcheck quasar?

it was an old school SP rocker. the recording quality is disgusting but it's enough to illustrate how awesome and finished it was in '10. the oceania version is horrific.
As far as I'm concerned, Quasar is one of the absolute worst songs he has written.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #338
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

the soundcheck recording of Quasar wasn't any good

Old 04-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #339
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

remember the TBK whiteboard?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #340
GLOWer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
the soundcheck recording of Quasar wasn't any good
it actually sounds like old pumpkins. like objectively it could be on pisces. partly because it borrows liberally from their girl named sandoz cover but still. does it even matter. the song is now one of the worst ever recorded by the pumpkins so this is all nonsense babble. another one bites the dust.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #341
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Long, long day, but I’m happy to report we’re now past the halfway point as far as the 26 we began with. Started with ‘THE HUNTED,’ which if you may remember was one of those riff-type deals that had gotten the gussying up; chorus-style. Having added in some parts this morning, I was happy that my partners were receptive to the tweaks. Score: 1-0. ‘RUN TO ME:’ we decided there was no need an updated demo, and moved on; quickly. Score: 2-0.

“BURNT ORANGE-BLACK’ was next, and this is one of those songs that has that timeless ring to it. Slow, languid, but powerful, with a set of changes you could jam all night on. But…Howard said, “It’s no single,” and we agreed. Not that every song has to be a single, mind you, but ‘single’ here is code word for’ it could be better,’ or ‘this idea has more potential that it’s showing.’ With that I tried adding a stuttering guitar figure, and presto! Change-o! We at least had something that sounded radio-worthy, which is funny considering the staccato stuff was the only change. Shows you how thin the premise is a good song vs a great one. Etc, etc. Score: 3-0.

Quote of the day: “I’m intent on making some downside, magical shit.” Lastly, ‘PRETTY BLUE,’ our perusal leaving Howard with a pained look on his boyish face.

“Don’t like it?” I said.

“I do, but, hmm.”

Score: 3-1.
Source:
http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com...0-A340A0BB1C6F

Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #342
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Sounds like Pretty Blue could be some Oceania shit.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #343
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I'm enjoying these posts more and more.
The writing style has a somewhat humble tone ("pained look on his face"), and songs get established like book characters. 'Being Beige' or 'Burnt Orange-Black' as working titles do more for my imagination than 'Romantique.'

A guest post by Jeff could be interesting. And which guitars they're using.

Does anybody know some stories about Howard Willing, how other musicians are getting along with him? The posts so far don't describe him as a studio tyrant. Or as someone just nodding his approval.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #344
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hello, glitterpiss!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #345
T&T
Socialphobic

it's really clever how you made his name an acronym, and then found new words for each letter.
I'm very impressed.
I'll make sure slunken sees this post and lets you into the cook kids club.
but considering the limited spots, don't be surprised if your application takes time.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #346
adamdanger!
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterlips View Post
here is an interview with Howard.
Is it common for an engineer/producer to get their start the way he did? I swear I've heard a similar version only that person graduated college

http://www.examiner.com/article/part...music-industry
Nigel Goodrich is known for starting as the studio tea maker before catching his break working with Radiohead. Everyone starts at the bottom when it comes to working in a studio.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #347
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy Corgan might be smarter than I believe or maybe not. He retweeted someone who was so happy about his posts. Then many looking for attention tweeted to him something similar.

I understand if people are enjoying these posts since we have had nothing for the longest time. But other than cat pics, I find them annoying because everything is great when he just comes up with a riff or whatever. I feel like I have heard this all before. That zeitgeist making of doc. Sounded like it would be great too.

Moreover, I think I would be more positive if he gave some adore news.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #348
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Billy Corgan might be smarter than I believe or maybe not. He retweeted someone who was so happy about his posts. Then many looking for attention tweeted to him something similar.

I understand if people are enjoying these posts since we have had nothing for the longest time. But other than cat pics, I find them annoying because everything is great when he just comes up with a riff or whatever. I feel like I have heard this all before. That zeitgeist making of doc. Sounded like it would be great too.

Moreover, I think I would be more positive if he gave some adore news.
Actually, calling the tone of this album "grossly metallic" implies that it might be Mellon-Collie levels of hardrock. Now, if he could just get Matt Walker or Jimmy for the drums, and someway enhance his vocals, the two records could surpass both Zeitgeist and Oceania by a lot. That riff he provided shows potential.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #349
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
Actually, calling the tone of this album "grossly metallic" implies that it might be Mellon-Collie levels of hardrock. Now, if he could just get Matt Walker or Jimmy for the drums, and someway enhance his vocals, the two records could surpass both Zeitgeist and Oceania by a lot. That riff he provided shows potential.
Sorry it doesn't to me. And also, Mellon collie is a good album when you are a teenager in the 90s. Get over it! I mean SD is 100x better than MCIS (the teenage angst album).

Glossy metalic also sounds like shit to me. You could put that term on a lot of sp songs that are shit. Also, guitars guitars guitars sounds like crap to me too.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #350
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

i think flood was a studio gaffer at first

Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #351
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Didn't he say not grossly metallic; perhaps making a nod to more SD style heavy but warm guitars?

Also, 'synth triplets' is indicative of more tasteless Muse inspired stuff which ruined several of his more recent otherwise quite nice compositions.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #352
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

That's right he did say not glossy. Thank god.

Still say it is dad rock with hippy lyrics.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #353
T&T
Socialphobic

don't forget ichabod!
expect things to be synthtastic!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #354
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seign View Post

Also, why are we talking about sweat? I don't think perspiration means what you think it means XD
"Genius: one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration." ~ Thomas Edison (a man that used the patenting laws to screw people out of their inventions)

Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #355
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I would love for the new Pumpkins material to go in this direction

Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #356
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
Actually, calling the tone of this album "grossly metallic" implies that
he didn't call it "grossly metallic". this is what he said:
Quote:
For those interested in sound, think: ‘guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars;’ but more so on the epic side of things than say, grossly metallic.
english, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #357
GLOWer
Demi-God

can you imagine billy saying the tone of the record is "grossly metallic" and then still following the band's progress with anything other than horror and contempt.

like misunderstanding the sentence is whatever, but then actively being interested in a record that could be in any way shape or form be described grossly metallic is pure lunacy.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #358
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
And how would you describe Oceania - which is according to you so much better than MC?
I remember saying SD is better than MCIS... I said it above.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #359
slunken
Virgo

it's simple - it's going to be guitar heavy and be epic without sounding like metal (he says)

Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #360
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I'll make sure slunken sees this post and lets you into the cook kids club.
but considering the limited spots, don't be surprised if your application takes time.
trashbinned immediately