Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Default Thread about driving

What's up driving Netphorians? Do you like driving? What kind of vehicles do you drive? How would you describe your driving style? When you are alone on a dark road late at night do you fantasize about crashing your car into the trees and ending it all?

http://cdn3.gurl.com/wp-content/uplo...og-driving.gif

Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I love driving long road trips and also in my area but I don't love urban areas. I drive a 2008 civic coupe. It is red. I drive too fast and try not to use my brakes too much. I drive carefully though, and leave ample distance between myself and other drivers etc. I'm known to speed on highways when no one is around, just because I want to get home quickly.

The last question: sorta. Sometimes. I wouldn't want to damage a tree just to end my life. I more frequently think of jumping in front of trains (I take the train more than drive, unfortunately) but that would be terribly inconsiderate to everyone taking and operating the train.
http://p.fod4.com/p/media/852a033874...is%20idiot.gif

Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Something about driving is so much better than every other method of travel. Anytime I get in the car I think of all the plants and geology I can just drive to and get out and see and also the places you can go. The open road. Driving to and from work isn't as great. Driving to the hospital to see a loved one is bad. But driving to go hiking or driving around the gorges of Ithaca for fun is GREAT.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
redbreegull

I heard Ithaca is gorges

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

U heard right

Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

hello my name is Joeri I just got a driver's license but I don't have a car. The last time I drove something was two months ago and every time I start driving again I have to figure out which pedal is which. I touched a girl's boobs and butts but no sex so far. I hope it will come true one day

Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
yo soy el mejor

i scared my friend the first time i drove her because i asked which pedal was which.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
hello my name is Joeri I just got a driver's license but I don't have a car. The last time I drove something was two months ago and every time I start driving again I have to figure out which pedal is which. I touched a girl's boobs and butts but no sex so far. I hope it will come true one day
3 pedals very hard drive

Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I like to do the drive.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
The Omega Concern
Banned

Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

When run2me drives all he can think of is DiscoKing

Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #13
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
When run2me drives all he can think of is DiscoKing
😢

Old 05-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #15
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i spent 6 hrs in my car today. drove to D Town for a soccer match.

I don't mind highway driving. I put about 25k miles a year on my van doing weekend trips. Doing long drives alone is kind of relaxing.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #16
noyen
Immortal

I can drive a lot of stuff and love driving manual transmissions. I can drive a 18 speed (or any I'd imagine) though I find that to be a particularly hellish experience with 80,000lbs of weight behind you. double clutching is hard but rpm matching is fun! I love doing it for a smooth shift in my subaru. no clutch and there's no jerky action. I learned to do it when driving the semi but I didn't get really great at the semi. I can also do a forklift or two and lots of tractors. Those are fun.

Love driving. I've gone on really epic road to trips. I want a vehicle to nomad in.

I drive fast sometime but usually safe. I don't like to be the leader of th pack but I will be. I let people merge. I am sympathetic to trucks and truckers and blind spots. I like my space so I will get away from people using speed to build a gap. I fucking hate tailgating and am known to have violent outbursts from incidents.

Driving alone in the mountains or desert is the best. City driving sucks. People suck.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:00 AM   #17
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

VROOM VROOM

Old 05-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #18
wHATcOLOR

here is what i have to say about driving:

when i first learned to drive, it was on my dad's jeep pickup truck with a manual transmission. you had to move the clutch honestly at least 7 inches for anything to happen, but if you moved the gas pedal more than half an inch, it would go nuts.

i didn't quite understand that, and my dad was just screaming at me so loudly on my first "lesson", it was actually amazing how frustrated he got. after like 20 minutes of it, with my ears ringing and both of us sweating, i turned the truck off and told him i was not going to do this anymore if he kept shouting and would just walk home, and it was probably 5 miles from home. it was a pretty rough first go.

but eventually got the hang of it and drove it all through highschool and in the summers to haul my lawnmower around, since i mowed close to 40 lawns a week in the summer

no vehicle in college aside from my dad's truck in the summer when i was home mowing lawns

after college, i got a $3k loan from my parents and bought what i could afford, which was a used 1999 toyota camry that apparently belonged to a delinquent before me. cigarette burns all over the interior, the blinkers were white instead of orange, the windows were tinted dark, and the lettering was gold instead of silver color. my friend helped me negotiate. he noticed that the dealer had a long pinkie fingernail (ie, cocaine user), so he/we negotiated the price down as low as we could, and once he would not budge anymore, proposed we would pay all cash today for $500 less and he took it.

i had no money and some student loans and was working as a waiter for olive garden at the time and sleeping on a friend's couch, and so i only got the minimum legally required insurance. lunch shift at olive garden was shit earnings, and one day i forgot my tie, which we were required to wear. manager said to drive home and get a tie. i asked to use a spare, he said they didn't have any, i explained i was only going to make like 10 bucks max that day and so if i really couldn't work without a tie, i'd just go home for the day. he said if you don't come back with a tie today, do not come back at all.

i needed the job so i went to drive home, and when going on an overpass which routed onto the freeway, i looked left to see how bad the traffic was on the freeway. it was at that moment that i rear-ended the car in front of me, which had stopped for unknown reasons.

luckily i was only going about 20-25 miles an hour, nobody was injured, but it really f'd up the front of my car. i needed to get a new hood, a new radiator, a new engine wiring harness, etc. and since my insurance was so bare bones, i had to pay out of pocket. i called around to a bunch of different body shops, some scrap yards, etc. and sourced the parts as cheap as i could. i remember very distinctly that when i was done paying for the repairs i had less than $18 to my name.

but the car was fixed and everything was fine for a couple years, got a better job, no issues with the car, UNTIL i had to get a smog test renewed. it turned out that because i had pushed the body shop to go so cheap on the repair, they used the wrong kind of engine wiring harness, which caused the computer to throw an error, and fail the smog test. cost to replace the engine wiring harness was close to the value of the whole car at that point, so i decided in my youthful ignorance to just drive as long as i could with an expired registration and just deal with it when i was forced to.

so for the next nearly 2 years, i developed an acute awareness of where police cars were in relation to myself on the road, and got reasonably good at staying behind them without calling attention to myself. i did get very nervous when i had to park on the street though.

one day, i was exiting the freeway to go home into the city, and the exit was 2 lanes. left lane was completely stopped, and the right lane, which i was in, was moving along. sure enough a cop was not moving in the left lane and i was unable to avoid passing him in my right lane. after the exit i did my best to weave through various side streets for over a mile, hoping that he didn't even notice me, and if he did, he wouldn't find me because i was not taking an obvious route.

but he had seen me and he did find me. and when he pulled me over, he was pretty intense about it and said that because the registration was so far expired, he was impounding the car then and there. understandably he didn't care about any excuses i had and i barely got my house key off of my key ring before they towed it away.

so i had a car in the impound in need of a repair worth more than it's value.. i had enough money at this point to buy a new car, so i worked out a deal with the dealership that they would handle getting it out of the impound, repairing it, etc. and i bought a toyota prius, 2007 model.

this went great for nearly 10 years with no issues. until last year when i was driving with my wife to a wedding in napa, and just over the golden gate bridge, the car died in the middle of the freeway. just died, i lost power steering, etc. i stood hard on the brakes and cranked the steering wheel real hard and managed to get it to a stop on the side of the freeway, near a cliff no less, but the rear of it was still in the freeway. it was super dangerous actually and we were very lucky no one was hurt. but my wife was real shaken up.

i called the bridge crew and had them tow it and we left it for the night in a parking lot and took an uber to the wedding and dealt with it the next day. turned out the auxiliary battery had died, it was less than $300 to replace and fix. but my wife was terrified by that ordeal and she was using it daily to commute, and i didn't feel right having her drive it if there was a chance it was unsafe. so we got a nice new car and i love it and drive it not very frequently, but very happily.

and those are all the stories about driving that come to mind. so, the end.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #19
wHATcOLOR

long-form boarding may be out of vogue, but sometimes that is my style. high effort, low reward but hey, there are worse things in life

Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #20
wHATcOLOR

oh and in terms of driving style, when i was in my young twenties, before my tags were expired, my driving style was driving as if the freeway were a puzzle and my job was to maneuver to get somewhere sooner. in otherwords, a real asshole and i don't feel good about it looking back on it.

i got more cautious with the expired tags. and nowadays, i drive real slow aside from the occasional acceleration burst when entering a freeway, only if it's safe to do so and i'm feeling the urge. but other than that, i drive slowly with safety as the primary objective

Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #21
Eulogy
huh

I spend half my life driving. No romanticizing of it for me

Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #22
Eulogy
huh

Slight exaggeration but still

Old 05-20-2017, 03:51 AM   #23
Eulogy
huh

what color what's the nice new car

Old 05-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #24
Cool As Ice Cream

i don't like driving.

i don't have much experience, so i'm not that good at it, so i don't like it.
as a result, i hardly drive. this doesn't help, of course...

Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally posted by wHATcOLOR

but the car was fixed and everything was fine for a couple years, got a better job, no issues with the car, UNTIL i had to get a smog test renewed. it turned out that because i had pushed the body shop to go so cheap on the repair, they used the wrong kind of engine wiring harness, which caused the computer to throw an error, and fail the smog test. cost to replace the engine wiring harness was close to the value of the whole car at that point, so i decided in my youthful ignorance to just drive as long as i could with an expired registration and just deal with it when i was forced to.
lol it's amazing how similar to my own story that is, i didn't think anybody else was enough of a saddo to have the same story. of course, now you own a spanking brand new Mercedes SLK 500 and i'm using the Shanghai metro, but you know.

i was driving a dented, noisy, screeching, messed up vehicle with an expired car tag because at one point it was just ridiculous to keep paying for all those repairs when the car's worth was basically fuck all.

at one point i just left it to die in some street until my dad and my uncle helped me out and took it to some guy to have it taken apart and used for whatever purposes. it was a 1997 Mazda and i loved it, actually. it served me very well for like ten years... it died around the same time my relationship did.

these days i'm not driving at all, obviously, and to be frank i don't miss it much. i miss the quiet and the peace and the 'enclosed moving capsule' thing where you're fully by yourself, it's meditative. but i don't miss heavy traffic, paying shitloads of fees, repairs and gas money, parking issues, fearing cops, being limited about drinking/getting fucked up when you go out cause you need to drive back, etc. which in israel is kinda severe anyway, on all accounts.

so much easier to just use my bicycle or the metro here. can't really ask for more. i live a simple life with barely any possessions at all these days and i'm surprisingly content about that, at least most of the time.

as to driving style, i'm usually very relaxed and take pleasure in driving slowly in the right lane, take my time, listen to music and think about stuff. like whatcolor, i used to drive much faster and sort of make it almost like a 'game'. nothing too crazy or dangerous, but i stopped all that shit a long time ago.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #26
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

these days i'm not driving at all, obviously, and to be frank i don't miss it much. i miss the quiet and the peace and the 'enclosed moving capsule' thing where you're fully by yourself, it's meditative. but i don't miss heavy traffic, paying shitloads of fees, repairs and gas money, parking issues, fearing cops, being limited about drinking/getting fucked up when you go out cause you need to drive back, etc. which in israel is kinda severe anyway, on all accounts.

so much easier to just use my bicycle or the metro here. can't really ask for more. i live a simple life with barely any possessions at all these days and i'm surprisingly content about that, at least most of the time.

as to driving style, i'm usually very relaxed and take pleasure in driving slowly in the right lane, take my time, listen to music and think about stuff. like whatcolor, i used to drive much faster and sort of make it almost like a 'game'. nothing too crazy or dangerous, but i stopped all that shit a long time ago.

i feel you on this. i think the biggest to benefits of a car are privacy / space to yourself as you've identified, and freedom. the ability to just get up and go, essentially anywhere whenever you want.

predictably, it can be harder to appreciate that element of freedom until you don't have it

and in exchange for those benefits, you're right -- there is a shit ton of expense and complication with maintenance, etc. and it can be particularly stressful when a few hundred or thousand dollars can be make or break

i live in a city and really only drive my car in the city if i know parking at my destination won't be an issue. in the city i usually take public transport (when i'm already downtown) or uber when i'm not

Old 05-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #27
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It costs more for me to take public transport than to own a car yearly. That's not typical but just my situation

Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i don't even see how that's possible

Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #29
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

NJ transit is notoriously unaffordable. ~$5000 a year for me. I will travel much farther with my car on a lot less in a year

Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #30
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Expensive and stressful and constantly late and derailing and killing people