Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrow Turntable Advice Needed...

margin

Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Have recently decided to utilize our basement space effectively and put in a nice turntable setup for some dedicated listening. We mainly listen to rock and indie rock, but setup will also be used for the occasional jazz record.

And if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it right. What put me over the top was at the record store on RSD, the local audio shop was running a deal in tandem with them: whatever you spend on records, he'll give you off on a turntable. Insane deal, right? Then I blew $275 at the store, so that was the nail in the coffin. Time to make a decision.

So, here's what I've got it narrowed down to that the shop is offering:

Option A: Pro-ject Xpression III - Will be $425 after discount.
Option B: Pro-ject Xpression Carbon - Will be $525 after discount.
Option C: Pro-ect Xperience Basic+ - Will be $625 after discount.

Or, I just skip that route entirely and go with one of the options I was considering the night before:

Option D: Rega RP-1 - $425 - Has killer reviews. Almost hit the order button on that one.
Option E: Music Hall MMF-2 - $449 - Also solid reviews. Little bro has a Music Hall MMF 5.1 and loves it.

All of those are definitely within our price point - had budgeted on spending around $500 on it, so could push it up to that Basic+ if it's worth it.

Any sage wisdom, amigos?

-Adam

Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon last year. Not sure how that stacks against the Pro-Jects you are looking at, but it's fucking sick as shit. Sound is totally awesome and for my purposes I could not wish for a better turntable for the price... UNLESS of course it had an automatic return on the arm, which is kind of a blower, but not too much of a pain.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Alright, clearly a noob question: but automatic return on the arm = stops when the side of the record is done, thus preventing needle damage? If it's not automatic, does it really damage the needle if you don't rush over there to pick up the arm when the side is done?

Great feedback. Good to hear.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Alright, clearly a noob question: but automatic return on the arm = stops when the side of the record is done, thus preventing needle damage? If it's not automatic, does it really damage the needle if you don't rush over there to pick up the arm when the side is done?

Great feedback. Good to hear.
yeah, that is what the return does. it lifts the arm automatically and places it back in the resting position. the guy from the shop where I bought my stereo said that yes, failing to take the arm up when the side of a record is done will over time damage the needle, which makes sense. To me it wasn't that big of a deal because I don't really listen to it when I am going to sleep or anything and I am pretty attentive and take good care of it. I don't think any of the ProJects I saw had automatic return features.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
slunken
Virgo

What about a receiver and speakers?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
MusicMan4

margin

Old 04-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Rega

Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Mooney
Socialphobic

I have the Pro-ject Xpression III. I would imagine unless you have a hi-end receiver with a good phono stage or dedicated pre-amps, the audio benefit from spending a ton on a turntable would be lost.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
I have the Pro-ject Xpression III. I would imagine unless you have a hi-end receiver with a good phono stage or dedicated pre-amps, the audio benefit from spending a ton on a turntable would be lost.
from my knowledge this is true. I assumed he already had a nice stereo and was just looking to expand its capabilities to vinyl.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Nah, this is just the first piece I'm buying for a standalone stereo setup. Have this killer spot for it in our basement, and it makes sense. Not sure how expansive I want to go with it: might eventually throw a standalone CD player on there, but for now, it's gonna be just the turntable for a vinyl only listening station.

The only other component I've got at this point is a pretty sweet Pioneer amp from the late 70s. Pre-amp and speakers are all TBD at this point. Gonna start assembling Voltron with the turntable being the first step.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
To me it wasn't that big of a deal because I don't really listen to it when I am going to sleep or anything and I am pretty attentive and take good care of it.
Yeah, I don't really forsee that being a problem. If I was just going to toss on music for the sake of having music on, I'd just use the Sonos setup we've got going now. This is gonna be for "hey, we have guests over so I'll put on a record" or "I'm going to sit here and listen to Siamese Dream at a deafening roar" setup.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
What about a receiver and speakers?
All for advice on that end, too. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins headphones that I absolutely love... so those guys are my first arena to research out in terms of speakers, but I reckon they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
noyen
Immortal

i think i have too much advice to give. don't spend too much money. get a decent preamp or receiver so that those headphones keep on giving you love. a good cartridge/stylus will matter to as well as the tonearm construction on whatever particular turntable. a lot of audiophiles will mod their tonearms and rewire/stuff with cotton. there's a lot of options out there. maybe too many. i'm selling a Dual 731q but that doesnt help with your in store discount...

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I think I just found the hipster nerd thread.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
noyen
Immortal

what is a "hipster nerd"?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Shallowed
Braindead

fuck outta here

Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
redbreegull

my speakers are polks, tower style. not sure exactly what model. they sound so fucking good. my head unit is a marantz that is actually more powerful than I needed for my speakers, but if I decide to run more speakers or something one day it'll be good. I can get model numbers/names out if you want, I can't recall. honestly I don't have the patience to geek out over musical equipment. I spent a few weeks doing comparative/shopping listening and wound up buying what I thought sounded best within my price range

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

margin

Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Mooney
Socialphobic

I've got the Pro-ject Xpression III wired direct into the phono input on my Onkyo tx-sr805. I've got Energy C-500 tower speakers. Would there be any noticeable benefit from say adding a ~$100 phono preamp to the mix?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
noyen
Immortal

it would matter yes, but then you would need to use a line input rather than your phono input. i would go with a tube preamp.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #22
noyen
Immortal

i don't know if it would benefit though. your onkyo might be better than whatever preamp. pre-amps used because a lot of receivers don't have phono inputs or grounding.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Ended up going for this one, in mahogany. Looks like a winner to me.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/en-us/our...ession-classic

Stay tuned for a few more embarrassing beginner questions as I navigate the speakers/amp/pre-amp/phono stage/etc stuff.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #24
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll enter this hipster thread. So i recently got a turntable and have been spending cash on vinyl. I have polk TSi100 book shelf speakers that act as my fronts of my sound system along with a PS108 polk subwoofer. I need to upgrade the fronts to some TSi300/400, but being in an apartment not really practical right now.

I question whether some of these new reissued albums need to be spread out over 4 sides. I have enjoyed the listening experience thus far though. Really makes me want to sit down and listen to a whole album. something that honestly has been lost on me as of recently. It is still convenient to be able to walk around with an iPad and pick whatever song out of the cloud and play it through the sound system, but when chilling alone I enjoy listening to the turntable. Wish I would have gotten into this setup earlier.

I guess there probably isn't a huge difference between some of these newer albums on vinyl v. CD that were recorded digitally anyhow, but I've convinced myself otherwise.

I have a pioneer receiver. No phono input, but the turntable had a pre amp built in. I need to upgrade my receiver to one with a phono input. I sold tvs and home theaters for about three years part time out of law school while I was starting up a practice. i really liked the onkyos for whatever it is worth and i will probably upgrade to one of those at some point. around 2009/2010 people were still buying speaker separates. around 2011/2012 it seemed like it all switched to sound bars and those shitty home theaters in a box.

Last edited by wounded : 05-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

oh can you just get a fucking turntable without bringing up the H word

Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #26
slunken
Virgo

ditch the subwoofer.

what's the make/model of the deck?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

i was talking to this guy at work who just installed a $4k sound system in his car yet he listens to music on his phone through it (128 at best).

my analogy was that its like taking a 3rd gen dub of a vhs tape and playing it in a real theater. sure it's bigger but...

Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
I'll enter this hipster thread. So i recently got a turntable and have been spending cash on vinyl. I have polk TSi100 book shelf speakers that act as my fronts of my sound system along with a PS108 polk subwoofer. I need to upgrade the fronts to some TSi300/400, but being in an apartment not really practical right now.

I question whether some of these new reissued albums need to be spread out over 4 sides. I have enjoyed the listening experience thus far though. Really makes me want to sit down and listen to a whole album. something that honestly has been lost on me as of recently. It is still convenient to be able to walk around with an iPad and pick whatever song out of the cloud and play it through the sound system, but when chilling alone I enjoy listening to the turntable. Wish I would have gotten into this setup earlier.

I guess there probably isn't a huge difference between some of these newer albums on vinyl v. CD that were recorded digitally anyhow, but I've convinced myself otherwise.

I have a pioneer receiver. No phono input, but the turntable had a pre amp built in. I need to upgrade my receiver to one with a phono input. I sold tvs and home theaters for about three years part time out of law school while I was starting up a practice. i really liked the onkyos for whatever it is worth and i will probably upgrade to one of those at some point. around 2009/2010 people were still buying speaker separates. around 2011/2012 it seemed like it all switched to sound bars and those shitty home theaters in a box.
whats yr question?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo

he wants to know if i'll sell him a copy of fleetwood mac's "rumors" for $30

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #30
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
he wants to know if i'll sell him a copy of fleetwood mac's "rumors" for $30
smoooth